22 May 2015

Graph of the Week: Growth of North American Auctions

The North American collector car auction market has grown by 39 percent over the last two years in terms of the number of vehicles offered. Leading the charge are German cars, with four of the top five biggest increases in vehicle count being German makes. Part of this sudden surge of German cars into the collector car market can be explained by the fact that Hagerty's German Collectibles Index, which tracks the values of 21 representative models, is up 135 percent over the same two-year period.

A whopping 91 percent more BMWs are coming to auction in 2015 than in 2013, while strong Porsche prices have brought 911s, 914s ,928s and others out of the woodwork and off to auction for a 67 percent growth in volume. It's much the same story with Ferrari, the only non-German make with the same kind of volume growth, as value increases for even entry-level cars like the 308 are driving people to sell.

For the sake of comparison, American marques Ford and Chevrolet slightly lagged overall growth, with increases of 37 percent and 34 percent over the same period, respectively. Overall, several new sales from auction companies such as Mecum have made for greater capacity to move vehicles and have given sellers a greater choice of venue, while higher values in certain segments like the German car market and the Ferrari market are encouraging owners to sell.

Bill B central CA. May 27, 2015 at 16:14
    too bad I don't give a rats pututti about german cars. I was looking forward to reading this article. Oh well.
    brian KC May 27, 2015 at 21:42
    It would be helpful to add a graph showing the number of vehicles show be each marque......would add perspective the % growth figures cited.
    michelle Oregon May 29, 2015 at 00:25
    You can't swing a dead cat in an auction house without hitting a Gullwing. Everyone who ever owned one must have sold his car twice, judging by the number of examples I see at auctions.
    Alex Lake havasu Arizona June 1, 2015 at 15:29
    Ford , GM and Chrysler, will always dominate the volume end, I just don't see a lot of variety at most of the auctions, its always a Corvette, A Chevelle, A camaro, a Tri five chevy, a Mustang, etc....YES, Yes i know they are popular, but how about something different on the Menu, OR are they all in Europe ?????????????? I love classic car auctions, but Sometimes i get so bored with Barret Jackson presenting the same old cars one after another, i just turn the TV off and work on my classic, no , its none of the above ....
    Jim Ohio June 1, 2015 at 10:42
    Terrible analogy. Not cute.
    Dale CA June 19, 2015 at 22:34
    I wouldn't have a foreign car up my ass if I had room for a sawmill.
    Mitch Flagstaff, AZ June 28, 2015 at 12:56
    It's hard to believe these comments. Thanks for the article Hagerty.