14 April 2015

Fact Checking Car Acronyms

Lost in the mists of time are the identities of the clever individuals who created pithy acronyms out of the names of various car manufacturers. Although they were coined long before the age of the Internet troll, it’s no surprise that none are remotely positive. But are they remotely true? Here are three of the better-known ones:

FIAT, “Fix It Again Tony”: Fiat had a long history in the U.S., riding the wave of the first import car boom in the 1950s until pulling out of the U.S. market in 1983 (for nearly 30 years). While Fiat offered stylish and economical transportation with an Italian flair, Fiats of old were not known for rock solid reliability. Much of it could be written off to the cars being misunderstood rather than inherently troublesome. Fiat’s dealer network in the old days never approached the level of professionalism that it enjoys now and there were rumors of dealers never receiving a full set of manuals in English. Fiat also pioneered the use of the timing belt instead of a chain, and regular change intervals weren’t always observed, with dire results. Classic Fiat Spiders and X1/9s can today be used regularly with little trouble through the support of clubs and numerous parts vendors. [Video: Hagerty’s Marcus Atkinson never has trouble with his 1970 Fiat 124 Spider BS – click here for a ride along]

LOTUS, “Lots of Trouble, Usually Serious”: In the 1970s, Road & Track magazine used to include in its road test data page a projected reliability summary that was based on surveys of their readership who owned particular makes. And while Lotus consistently scored above average in handling and braking, it rarely exceeded “far below average” in reliability. In fact, the testers remarked with surprise in one particular road test that no pieces had fallen off their Elan test car, a first for them with a Lotus. But in actual fact, the acronym is only partially true — while Lotuses could be lots of trouble, it was rarely serious. Aside from the odd axle shaft breaking a rubber coupler or a fuel line fire from a perished plastic connector, much of the trouble with classic Lotuses tended to fall into the category of merely annoying rather than catastrophic.

FORD, “Found on Road Dead”: This one can probably be chalked up to the bitter Ford vs. Chevy rivalry. Classic Fords from the Model A to the Mustang tended to be rock-solid reliable. OK, the six-volt electrical systems of 1950s vintage Fords pretty much begged to be upgraded to 12 volts, and the switch from generators to alternators in late 1964 was a good one, but for the most part, classic Fords were no less reliable than anything else of the day. And as sunny-day drivers today, they’re more than fine. In fact, we know of one gentleman who used a 1930 Model A as his daily driver for a whole year with fewer problems than most people have with a 10-year-old used car.

Ben TN April 15, 2015 at 14:42
    Cracked Head Every Valve Rattles Oil Leaks Every Time
    Dan North Carolina April 15, 2015 at 14:48
    Have personal experience with FIAT (Fix It Alla Time). Fords were also Fix Or Replace Daily.
    jeff NorCal April 15, 2015 at 14:51
    GM: The Great Mistake...
    Frank Mastrangelo Novi, Michigan April 15, 2015 at 14:51
    GTO - Gas, Tires and Oil. True, true and true. I can say that, I own one!!! Haha. Or how about "Get the Tools Out"?
    Kevin United States April 15, 2015 at 14:52
    CHEVROLET: Cars Having Every Velocity Related Option Lowering Elapsed Times
    joe NC April 15, 2015 at 14:55
    FORD Fixed Or Repaired Daily
    Joel Beck United States April 15, 2015 at 14:55
    No "Mostly Garaged" or "Money Grabber"? My friend from college drove a 70's era Ford, and often commented that it was much more "Fix Or Repair Daily" rather than "First On Race Day". :)
    Carl Pratt South Lyon, Mi April 15, 2015 at 15:07
    GMC=Got Mechanic Coming
    Tim Lansing, Mi April 15, 2015 at 15:10
    My mother bought 3 new Fords. 1960 Fairlane. Had the car in for front end problems till it drove her nuts. Traded it for a 62 Galaxie 500. Had that 9 months. Front end problems. Traded for a 63 Pontiac Star Chief. It was fine but attracted a lot of body work. In 1965 she bought a new Galaxie 500. It had 2 sets of wheel bearings and ball joints plus having a cylinder rebored before 7000 miles My Mother took it to a Shell station and it greased and had the caps replaced with zerks. After that it was pretty trouble free.
    neal Lynnwood, WA April 15, 2015 at 15:12
    I'd also heard it as "Fix Or Repair Daily", but then, I came from a bow tie family
    Kevin Florida April 15, 2015 at 15:15
    I've never found that to be an accurate acronym for Ford. To the contrary, my Ford's have always been the most reliable vehicles I've owned. Someone tell me what BL for British Leyland or LUCAS for Lucas electrics stands for. Now those are two that will leave you standed!
    Joanne Philly April 15, 2015 at 15:16
    FORD also meant "fix or repair daily"
    Mike Hurst Georgia April 15, 2015 at 15:17
    In Australia FORD or DROF means " driver returned on foot "
    Lisa Gohl Kirkland wa April 15, 2015 at 15:19
    Fix or Repair Daily
    Otto Leis Buffalo, in. April 15, 2015 at 15:19
    DODGE Dem old dudes go everywhere FORD First on race day
    Linda Nebraska April 15, 2015 at 15:20
    I thought FORD meant "Fix Or Repair Daily".
    Jeff Roessler San Clemente, Ca April 15, 2015 at 15:26
    A few more for your consideration: FORD..Fix Or Repair Daily, First On Race Day, F...ing Old Rebuilt Dodge MOPAR...Move Over,People Are Racing, Mutilates Other Products At Races
    Greg Nebraska April 15, 2015 at 15:28
    I always knew Ford as: "Fix Or Repair Daily."
    Henry F Dearborn April 15, 2015 at 15:28
    Chews Heads, Eats Valves, Runs Only Lousy ETs.
    BILL WANIE ABRAMS, WI. April 15, 2015 at 15:29
    A buddy used to race mustangs, and whenever I threw out the "Found On Road Dead" one, he shot back "No, No, No. First On Race Day!".
    Jack Port Orchard, WA April 15, 2015 at 15:33
    As a longtime Mopar guy, I've heard My Old Plymouth Ain't Running and Made Of Parts Already Ruined more than a couple of times.
    Jerry Johnson Miami, Fl April 15, 2015 at 15:34
    FORD, "Fix or Repair Daily"
    Ken Gross Hamilton, VA April 15, 2015 at 15:37
    Two others you might like… Ford: "Fix or repair daily" EMF (Everett-Metzger-Flanders): "Every mechanical failure."
    Mike Williams California April 15, 2015 at 15:43
    I'm glad you straightened that out about FORD
    captainjoez CT April 15, 2015 at 15:44
    FIAT; Failed Italian Automotive Technology
    Lou CT April 15, 2015 at 15:47
    Here's a couple more that I remember: FORD: First On Race Day GTO: Garbage Truck with Overdrive
    ghostrider maryland@this time native WVa April 15, 2015 at 15:54
    I see that you left out some other ones such as- GTO= gas tires oil,( owned4--64-67) ford= found on road dead, also first on race day, also follow ole Richards dodge!!!,MOPAR= made of parts already ruined!!! and the list goes on and on. for I am a car-truck guy!!! grew up in the biz!!! to feather my nest-- now corvette and el camino!!!qelo
    Carl MT April 15, 2015 at 15:54
    O-L-D-S-M-O-B-I-L-E Over Leisurely Driven Sometimes Made Out of Buicks Irregular Leftover Equipment
    Merritt Higbie Perrysburg, OH April 15, 2015 at 15:54
    FORD IS FIRST ON RACE DAY
    Tom TX April 15, 2015 at 15:55
    So why only negative? More flathead Fords were First On Race Day than dead!
    George Ludington, Mi April 15, 2015 at 15:58
    We used to call fords..... Fix or Repair Daily
    Mary Kay Akron, OH April 15, 2015 at 15:58
    I thought Ford was Fix Or Repair Daily.
    David C Wagaman United States April 15, 2015 at 15:59
    Can Hear Every Valve Rocker Or Lifter Every Time (Chevrolet) Puny Little Yellow Motor Out Underneath The Hood (Plymouth)
    TBall MD April 15, 2015 at 16:02
    Seems you've only looked at one side of the story. How about the beloved "First On Race Day".
    Keith Ohio April 15, 2015 at 16:02
    PONTIAC - Poor Old Nerd Thinks It's A Cadillac
    Bob Lovell Mi April 15, 2015 at 16:04
    FORD: First On Race Day...
    DrPepper Illinois April 15, 2015 at 16:05
    I always liked GMC = Gotta Mechanic Comin'?
    Scott Suburbs of Washington, DC April 15, 2015 at 16:06
    My first car was a Ford Fairlane. I bought a 1963 Fairlane in 1976 that lasted only 6 months. But a 16 year old's experience with a 13 year old car shouldn't be the lasting image which lead me to buying a 1986 Ford Taurus in 1986. Even though it was a demo, Ford extended the warranty from the mileage which I purchased the car. By the car died on a back road with 70K miles six years later, the transmission had to be rebuilt twice (I only did city driving), because the transmission issues overheated the engine, the block cracked and had to be replaced, the seats broke off their supports one day when I only stopped hard (no accident, just a hard stop), and the drive computer failed three times leading to its complete replacement each time. Ford's slogan was "Quality is Job 1." If this was Ford quality, then I would never buy another Ford again, as I had to walk quite a few miles in a day before cell phones to find a phone to call my then girlfriend to rescue me as my Ford was on the side of the road, dead!
    John A Giuliano Middletown, Ct. 06457 April 15, 2015 at 16:08
    F O R D Fix Or Repair Daily
    Motomomx3 SF Bay Area April 15, 2015 at 16:08
    My mother had both a 1974 & later a 1978 Fiat Spider 124 convertible that ran like a TOP! My dad had those cars dialed in like clockwork - never a problem! One of my favorite memories was riding in the back seat (such as it was) with my mom driving and our black Great Dane riding shotgun looking over the windshield with the top down and her tongue hanging out! Sadly, both of those were sold before I got my license or my hands on the steering wheel! :o(
    steve dutchess county ny April 15, 2015 at 16:09
    KIA .. Killed in action
    Richard Dixon United States April 15, 2015 at 16:11
    GTO: gas, tires and oil!
    Jim Nulf, Sr. Gastonia, NC April 15, 2015 at 16:12
    I have owned many cars and from all makes and models. I have owned Dodge, Plymouth, Chevrolet, Ford, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Cadillac, VW's Toyota, Datsun, and Honda, English Ford, Peugeot and a few others . All have had their peculiarities, but none were any worse than another. I have owned four versions of the Shoebox Ford ('49 - 51) currently owning a customized '51 Ford Custom which is still powered by a Flathead engine albeit beefed up. It remains my favorite car of all time. I have also owned a '55, 56, & 57 Chevy all of which I liked too. My '68 Dodge Charger RT was a GREAT automobile and I have been sorry ever since I sold it years ago. The point guess I am trying to make is that there really isn't just one company or manufacturer who is better than all the rest and that would include the Bentley and the Rolls Royce. IF you take care of your vehicle, maintain it properly, it will last you for a very long time, if you don't you're probably going to find yourself sitting along side the road someplace waiting for Triple A to get you help.
    Bill Ohio April 15, 2015 at 16:15
    Another one for FORD was, "Fix or repair daily".
    Jon Truckee, CA April 15, 2015 at 16:15
    I have a question you may be able to answer for me. I want to go to SEMA in Vegas this year for my birthday and it seems it's only for industry folks, not the public. Know anything about that? Thanks, Jon
    J. R. Hill United States April 15, 2015 at 16:17
    How about: GTO Gas, Tires, and Oil Ford Fix or Repair Daily
    Mike AuClair SOCAL April 15, 2015 at 16:22
    Back in the 50's Ford was, "Fix or repair daily"
    Ron Arizona April 15, 2015 at 16:22
    The one I always liked was FORD "First on Race Day".
    Jamie Hurley Cincinnati April 15, 2015 at 16:26
    FORD = "First On Race Day" :)
    Gregory Dunn United States April 15, 2015 at 16:26
    Never heard, "Found on Road Dead"...we use to say, "Fix or Repair Daily".
    Steve Maine April 15, 2015 at 16:30
    Are you trying to lose my business?
    Allen Iowa April 15, 2015 at 16:31
    The one I remember, FORD, Fix or Repair Daily.
    Lee Mobile AL April 15, 2015 at 16:36
    Remember one Lotus review that ended with "Mattel makes better bodies"
    Wiki Howmiki fl April 15, 2015 at 16:38
    Fix Or Repair Daily is countered by First On Race Day!
    Ken Gross Hamilton, VA April 15, 2015 at 16:38
    Ford: "Fix or repair daily" Everett-Metzger Flanders (EMF) "Every mechanical failure"
    Larry Bennett Melbourne, Florida April 15, 2015 at 16:38
    I have a 1996 Ford Mustang that just blew the radiator, seems that combustion gasses are entering then over pressurizing the coolant system. Ford- Fix Or Repair Daily!!!
    Jack cal April 15, 2015 at 16:40
    How would define Mopar? "Massively Over Powered Asphalt Remover"
    Mark Reis azle, texas April 15, 2015 at 16:43
    Chevrolet....Shove it or leave it!!!
    Mike Pavlik Arizona April 15, 2015 at 16:44
    I always thought FORD was Fix Or Repair Daily
    Will Handley Tehachapi CA April 15, 2015 at 16:45
    Most acronyms tend to reflect the negative aspects of things - usually pouring disdain on the name in question. Another feature would be the re-jigging of names such as the Austin Allegro as the "Austin Allergic" in the UK. Possibly the emergence of of acronyms and re-jigged names could be used as a quick quality / reliability check by prospective vehicle purchasers. This could possibly be applied to the airlines, which did not escape this sort of commentary with things like TWA (Try Walking Across) etc. There is a notable exception for Lufthansa which I will not record here! So manufacturers beware - when your name is being acronymized (new candidate for the dictionary) you need to look at you quality control!
    Ray San Antonio, TX April 15, 2015 at 16:45
    FORD = Fix Or Repair Daily
    ST San Diego April 15, 2015 at 16:52
    Jeep - Just Empty Every Pocket!
    Bob s wis April 15, 2015 at 16:52
    Found on road dead, fix or repair daily, Driver returns on foot, (backwards) or with a Pinto, driver returns on fire, as they were said to have exploding fuel tanks. Still a ford owner over 40 years.
    Lynn Messenger Fishtail, Mt. April 15, 2015 at 16:55
    GMC = Gotta Mechanic Comin
    Bill Jersey April 15, 2015 at 16:55
    MG either "Money Grabber" or "Might Good" GMC : Garage Man's Companion
    Gil Libin Calgary, Alberta April 15, 2015 at 16:56
    I always thought FORD was "Fix or repair daily"
    Wayne Nashville April 15, 2015 at 16:58
    FORD - Fix Or Repair Daily
    Gary Dwight Michigan April 15, 2015 at 16:59
    You gotta be nuts to drive a Stutz and counterpoint . There never was a worker car than amercer
    CaptRon Kansas April 15, 2015 at 16:59
    While not an acronym, it has been noted that the "new" ford trucks are all equipped with heated tailgates. So your hands stay warm while pushing them home........
    Rich Arizona April 15, 2015 at 17:01
    Well, not really a car brand, but a model. My Pontiac G.T.O. was dubbed " gas, tires, and oil ," in 1965. I have to admit, they were right ....
    Joe Caputo Long Island,NY April 15, 2015 at 17:03
    FORD - First On Race Day
    Bill Shelton, Wa. April 15, 2015 at 17:03
    I have driven Fords exclusively since 1970. I used to buy Chevys then Ford etc. I have never been left alongside the road looking for a ride when I owned a Ford, not so with Chevys. They were unreliable and rusted like crazy. I am currently building a 1940 Chevy coupe with an all Ford Mustang running gear from the front axle to the rear axle.
    Joe Caputo Long Island,NY April 15, 2015 at 17:04
    FORD - First On Race Day
    Bill Hanson Eugene, Or. April 15, 2015 at 17:09
    How about, Lucas," the prince of darkness" for the fellow Brit car owners, out there.
    Leo Dougherty Tampa, FL April 15, 2015 at 17:12
    And here I thought Ford meant Fix or Repair Daily. I confess to being a Ford man most of my life but that was the common definition of Ford where I grew up in the Fingerlakes area of New York State.
    Jim Shelly New York April 15, 2015 at 17:13
    We must not forget GM's problems with model names. When they exported the Nova to South America sales were flat. Turns out in Spanish no va means no go. A name change was in order
    Clive Hardy Perry, GA April 15, 2015 at 17:13
    FORD "First On Race Day"
    Rick Hudon Oklahoma April 15, 2015 at 17:14
    How about Chevrolet- "Cheap Heap Every Valve Rattles Oil Leaks Every Time". Iown 3 of them and still love them.
    Stu Florida April 15, 2015 at 17:15
    I think usually serious might relate to Contact breakers - remove distributor and or carburetors on weber models at least. Electrics - Twice the problems from the prince of darkness being fiberglass. UJs. First remove engine then gearbox then prop shaft. Water pump. Remove engine, cylinder head and sump. To mention a few😀
    James Lafler Fort Collins, CO April 15, 2015 at 17:16
    FORD stands for: first on race day !!
    catbear annapolis, md April 15, 2015 at 17:17
    What about GMC: Gotta Mechanic Coming or MOPAR: More Parts and Repairs...just two more from the :60's
    Charlie New England April 15, 2015 at 17:18
    Don't forget.... Fix Or Repair Daily, and Flat Out Real Dog
    Jim Ganley Cushing, WI April 15, 2015 at 17:24
    You forgot Buick "Barfed Up Icky Carmel Korn" Ford " Found Old Repaired Dodge and others that cannot be published.
    woody chesterfield, va April 15, 2015 at 17:24
    FORD - Figure on Repairs Daily.
    steeltoed gloves 62521 April 15, 2015 at 17:27
    Chevrolet : Cracked Head Every Valve Rattles Oil Leaks Every Time .
    Rick Paris Cape Cod April 15, 2015 at 17:29
    Re: Fix it Again Tony. My wife and I owned a '74 Fiat 124 sedan. Great car with amazingly comfortable seats. I took off all the primitive emission control junk, which kicked the performance up a good notch. It really was a poor man's BMW 2002. Dealer never told me about the need to replace the timing belt, which failed while we were on the way to the local Volvo dealer to check out a dealer demo 244 sedan. Really kills your negotiating leverage for a possible trade in when you and your trade in arrive on a flat bed!! Honestly wish I still had that Fiat - it was a real hoot to drive!
    Car Collector Chronicles http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros April 15, 2015 at 17:30
    FORD = Fix-Or-Repair-Daily
    Joe Neely United States April 15, 2015 at 17:35
    FORD - My Cobrajet says First On Race Day!
    Ed Smyth United States April 15, 2015 at 17:36
    There's another classic one I heard once on NPR's "Car Talk" program during a similar discussion. Either Ray or Tom said that they learned decades ago that Edsel REALLY stood for "Every Day Something Else Leaks".
    Edward F. O'Brien United States April 15, 2015 at 17:41
    Ford First On Race Day, Fix Or Repair Daily...some were positive?!
    Jim idaho April 15, 2015 at 17:41
    Ford has one acronym that has held true for lots of years [ First On Race Day] but no body likes to talk about that one
    Tim Howard United States April 15, 2015 at 17:48
    GTO = Gas, Tires, and Oil
    Iain Rugby, England April 15, 2015 at 17:48
    Actually, FIAT = Fix It Again Tomorrow
    capesurf Cape Cod April 15, 2015 at 17:49
    Frequent Overhall and Rapid Depreciation!
    Al Auburn, WA April 15, 2015 at 17:49
    FIAT means Fling It Around Turns!
    Iain Rugby, England April 15, 2015 at 17:51
    Actually, FIAT = Fix It Again Tomorrow
    David Wallace Aura, NJ April 15, 2015 at 17:51
    Subaru spelled backward . U R A BUS
    vince Grosse Pointe Park,MI April 15, 2015 at 17:51
    Girlfriend had a Fiat that suddenly stopped in the Detroit/Windsor tunnel under the river. Fix it again, tomorrow...
    Zach Denver April 15, 2015 at 17:57
    Ford... Federal offering respectfully declined
    carlos roman United States April 15, 2015 at 17:58
    racecar is the spelled the same backwords.
    Steve Moodie Phoenix, AZ April 15, 2015 at 17:58
    Drips Oil Drips Gas Everywhere (Dodge) Although not an acronym. My favorite is: Thirteen letter manure spreader (International) We own a '74 Scout II
    Jim T Minnesota April 15, 2015 at 17:58
    I always thought Chevrolet was pronounced "Shove or leave it".
    Zach Denver April 15, 2015 at 17:58
    Ford... Federal offering respectfully declined
    Dave Demsko St. Louis April 15, 2015 at 18:00
    My favorite is for Chevrolet.....Condition Hopeless,Every Vehicle Relies On Leftover Engineering Technology.
    John Detroit April 15, 2015 at 18:01
    SAAB-Still Aint A Beemer. MOPAR-Mostly Old Parts And Rust.
    Geoffrey Keys Boulder April 15, 2015 at 18:03
    BMW=Bitch Moan and Whine (That's an old one!)
    Bryan fearer Ohio April 15, 2015 at 18:03
    Gmc. Gotta mechanic comming
    Rob del Rosario STL April 15, 2015 at 18:05
    Being a Mopar guy, my enemies would say " mainly old parts and rust"
    Adam Madison, AL April 15, 2015 at 18:05
    Cheap Heap Every Valve Rattles Oil Leaks Every Time
    Aaron SLC, UT April 15, 2015 at 18:05
    They're not all negative. How 'bout Beautiful Mechanical Wonder?
    D. Setford NY April 15, 2015 at 18:06
    GMC- garage mans compaion
    Greg California April 15, 2015 at 18:06
    FORD backwards: Driver Returns On Foot
    Tim Roberts Fort White, FL April 15, 2015 at 18:07
    GMC: Got Mechanic Coming
    Keith Bellevue, WA April 15, 2015 at 18:08
    DODGE = Drips Oil & Drops Grease Everywhere; MOPAR = Mostly Old Parts and Rust, My Old Pig Ain't Rinning CHEVROLET = Can Hear Every Valve Rod or Lifter Every Turn; Cracked Heads, Every Valve Rattles, Oil Leaks Every Time; FORD (backwards) = Driver Returns On Foot
    Rod Florida April 15, 2015 at 18:08
    Dodge = avoid or go around
    Back Seat Driver Vancouver, BC April 15, 2015 at 18:09
    DODGE - Dirt Old Dog Goin' East, GMC - Gotta Mechanic Comin'
    AJ Bowling Green MO April 15, 2015 at 18:09
    GMC General Mess of Crap
    douglas g Albuquerque April 15, 2015 at 18:10
    GMC Gotta Mechanic Coming
    Darryl Walton Ontario, Canada April 15, 2015 at 18:11
    While certainly not a classic car of any kind, I've always found this one good for Hyundai. Hope You Understand Nothing's Dependable And Inexpensive
    douglas g Albuquerque April 15, 2015 at 18:12
    GMC Gotta Mechanic Coming
    john martin Washoe Valley, Nevada April 15, 2015 at 18:13
    GMC "gotta mechanic coming" or "great mountain climber" but I also have an old Ford built Ford tough with Chevy stuff.
    Joe Central VA April 15, 2015 at 18:16
    GTO = Gas, Tires, and Oil. And my dream-ride is a '67 Goat.
    tom Arizona April 15, 2015 at 18:17
    Never heard one for Chevvy or Chevy?
    Klaus Honeker Woodside, CA - USA April 15, 2015 at 18:19
    I am not sure if FIAT pioneered the timing belt. I remember to following car: (You need to be able to read German), Glas was bought up later by BMW Glas S1004 1962 stellte Glas einen neuen Vierzylindermotor vor. Mit 1000 Kubikzentimeter und 42 PS stellte dieser ein modernes Motorenkonzept dar und war der erste in Serie gefertigte Automobilmotor mit einem Zahnriemen für den Antrieb der Nockenwelle.
    Dick Navratil minnesota April 15, 2015 at 18:19
    Found on Reservation Dump
    Russ Lake Tahoe April 15, 2015 at 18:20
    Jeep, Just Empty Every Pocket Lotus, Lots Of Triumph Unused Spares
    Jim M. SW Florida April 15, 2015 at 18:22
    Not exactly the same, but Jaguars of the 50's and 60's used mostly Lucas electrical components, and were prone to failure. The story goes that the British drink warm beer because Lucas makes the refrigerators.
    Brian Nova Scotia April 15, 2015 at 18:23
    As a long time FORD 4X4 owner I used the acronym "For Off Road Driving"
    Mike Peoria, IL April 15, 2015 at 18:25
    Mopar: My Old Pig Ain't Runnin'; Many Old Parts Assembled Recklessly; Miscellaneous Odd Parts Assembled Recklessly
    Jaime Moorpark, CA April 15, 2015 at 18:25
    HONDA: Hold On, Not Done Accelerating. JEEP: Just Empty Every Pocket. =)
    Fred Oehler Buffalo April 15, 2015 at 18:26
    FORD:Fell off rack in Detroit
    Dan Corrales, NM April 15, 2015 at 18:26
    AMC : ain't my car
    Clancy Gordon Bowling Green, Ohio April 15, 2015 at 18:29
    Take your pick: GMC is General Mess of Crap or Garage Man's Companion. Pontiac could be: Poor Old Norton Thinks Its A Cadillac.
    D Short Washington, DC area April 15, 2015 at 18:30
    Chevrolet - Constantly Having Every Vehicle Recalled Over Lousy Engineering Techniques
    Fred Marks Dallas, TX April 15, 2015 at 18:30
    Poor Old Nitwit Thinks It's A Cadillac, and Punks On Nitrous Think It's Actually Competitive...
    Lynn D Toronto April 15, 2015 at 18:31
    My dad, the mechanic who loved Mopars, told me GMC stands for Garage Mechanics Companion
    Curt Johnson Illinois April 15, 2015 at 18:34
    How about "God's Mechanical Curse"; or "Got a Mechanic Coming? Also "General Mess of Crap".
    Herb Renstrom Visalia, CA. April 15, 2015 at 18:36
    Just A Guess U Are Rich----Jaguar
    Charlie New England April 15, 2015 at 18:36
    Don't forget.... Fix Or Repair Daily, and Flat Out Real Dog
    Larry Tampa, Florida April 15, 2015 at 18:38
    As an American Motor fan, V8 Gremlins, AMX's I always had heard this one All Most Complete........AMC
    Harv Canada April 15, 2015 at 18:39
    FORD: Ford Owners Recommend Dodge.
    tim prince atlanta,ga. April 15, 2015 at 18:41
    GMC. Gotta' Mechanic Coming.
    Larry Tampa, Florida April 15, 2015 at 18:42
    ricky redford va April 15, 2015 at 18:47
    Ford--flip over& read directions Chevrolet- cheap heap every valve rattles oil leaks every time
    Tony VA April 15, 2015 at 18:53
    MoPar..... Massively Overpowered and Respected
    Stolz Chesterfield, MOt April 15, 2015 at 18:58
    GMC - General Mass of Crap
    Tom McCabe Ill April 15, 2015 at 18:59
    Just Empty Every Pocket. Jeep
    Barry R. Shelley United States April 15, 2015 at 19:03
    I like to think ford stands for "first on race day". Thanks Barry
    Bob Mayville, MI April 15, 2015 at 19:05
    The only Fiat I've ever driven was a used X1/9 that I was thinking about buying, about 1982. I got about 2 blocks from the guy's house when it quit and refused to start. I walked back and drove off in my slow-but-reliable Chevette. FIAT: Fix it again tomorrow.
    Barry R. Shelley United States April 15, 2015 at 19:06
    I like to think ford stands for "first on race day". Thanks Barry
    Scott Allred Chico, CA April 15, 2015 at 19:09
    MOPAR: Massively Over-powered and Respected! AMC: All makes of cars.
    David Lodi, Ca April 15, 2015 at 19:09
    How about... Miscellaneous Odd Parts And Rattles
    Jon Illinois April 15, 2015 at 19:09
    In addition to found on the road dead for Ford, when I was in high school, it was: "fix or repair daily" which also was not accurate.
    John York Napa Valley, Ca. April 15, 2015 at 19:10
    CHEVROLET; "shove it or leave it lay"
    Henry Fordson Los Angeles CA April 15, 2015 at 19:25
    Condition Hopeless Entire Vehicle Relies On Lousy Engine Technology, and Can Hear Every Valve Rattle Oil Leaks Every Time.
    mike los Angeles April 15, 2015 at 19:29
    AMC =americas muscle car
    Charlie Wilson Huntington Beach, CA April 15, 2015 at 19:34
    What happened to "Fix or Replace Daily" for Ford? Never heard of Found on Road Dead, but I like it. Probably right that Ford had no more problems than Chevy, but I think 'generally speaking", GM cars were known for higher quality than Ford. (Ask 100 people get 100 different opinions). I have both Ford(Edge) and Chevy (1957 Bel Air ) right now. Yes the Chevy has more issues but since it is almost sixty years old that is to be expected. The Edge has overall been very good, (one Navigation screen replaced under warranty and the annoying warning that door is not closed being the 2 things that come to mind). Since the third car is Jaguar we won't talk about repairs. Ford's biggest cost(that I know of in recent years) was that the Microsoft Sync system was not ready(many bugs)for my 2011 Edge , but Ford went forward with what they had even though knowing problems were on the horizon. From a very "reliable source" story has it that after all the problems Ford decided to steal the Microsoft engineers to fix the myriad of problems, rather than pay MS the 50 million they were told it would take to fix the Sync. After many months they could not fix the issues, and had to go back to Microsoft with "tale between the legs" begging MS to fix the system. Can you imagine what the price tag was for MS to come back and fix the system? That is the jest of the story.
    Ed Alder United States April 15, 2015 at 19:34
    I'm a die hard GMC guy."Gota Mechanic Commin".
    Chris Mahoney PA April 15, 2015 at 19:38
    I own 17 Fiats from a 1963 600 to a 1983 130. They are vastly better than their American contemporaries, and in may cases better than their German contemporaries. What is a shame is that so few models were ever imported, and so many superb models were never imported. The 130s of the early Seventies were fabulous and beautiful. Italians have better taste than anyone, which is why everyone hires them for styling.
    Ed Tyngsboro, Ma. April 15, 2015 at 19:38
    Faithful Obedient Reliable Dependable
    Ray Lawrence Truckee,Ca April 15, 2015 at 19:39
    I live at the bottom Of Donner Summit 7200 ft so for Dodge Died On Donner Going East
    David Grandahl Milwaukee, Wisc April 15, 2015 at 19:41
    G.M.= Government Motors
    David Williams United States April 15, 2015 at 19:46
    FORD SPELLED BACKWARDS STANDS FOR DRIVER RETURNS ON FOOT.
    Dan Holter Corrales, NM April 15, 2015 at 19:48
    AMC: ain't my car
    Denis LaCrosse hansville, WA April 15, 2015 at 19:49
    I always liked "Fix Or Repair Daily" But how many of these neat old Fords are still running, and still fun! Had a Fiat 124TC once. Loved it, european tuning, fun car. So I decided that the timing belt needed replacing. Big, big mistake.
    brian pacaud sudbury,ontario April 15, 2015 at 19:54
    mopar, massively over powered and respected
    sammy stillwagon long island ny April 15, 2015 at 19:56
    got a 95 Jimmy -- Got Mechanic Coming
    Hank Mauel Auburn, CA April 15, 2015 at 19:57
    As a Lotus owner, I resemble that remark! And add Failure Oriented Research Department to the list.
    Tom Mosteller Worcester, PA April 15, 2015 at 19:58
    Not an acronym but I always liked the "Burma Shave" like rhyme my Dad used to recite: Buy a Chevy, They're the best Drive a mile Then walk the rest Tom
    Bantam long Island April 15, 2015 at 19:59
    BMW Break My Windows
    Bruce Turner Oregon April 15, 2015 at 20:00
    what about GMC,"gotta mechanic coming"?
    Les Fender United States April 15, 2015 at 20:04
    There are so many good ones. Two of my favorites are on AMC: All Mistakes Combined and All Most a Car. One other favorite is Ford backwards: Driver Returns On Foot.
    william califorina April 15, 2015 at 20:04
    Found On Road Dead was allways followed up by But "First On Race Day"
    Les Fender United States April 15, 2015 at 20:05
    Ray St.Clair Tucson, AZ April 15, 2015 at 20:06
    Another MOPAR guy but I always liked "Miscellaneous Odd Parts Assembled Randomly"
    william califorina April 15, 2015 at 20:06
    Found On Road Dead was allways followed up by But "First On Race Day"
    Steve Sumpter United States April 15, 2015 at 20:17
    My 67 Mustang convertible was pretty much trouble free for 12 years. I recently had overheating problems and eventually blew a crankshaft. I have replaced the radiator and upgraded to a 302. It is back on the road alive and better than ever. Old Fords don't die, they get resurrected.
    Tom Evans Los Angeles April 15, 2015 at 20:22
    I thought FORD meant " fix or repair daily" !
    Chuck Wildwood Crest NJ April 15, 2015 at 20:24
    First On Race Day
    Jim Bennett Texas April 15, 2015 at 20:31
    Chevy was Shove It or Leave It.
    ferd the cloud April 15, 2015 at 20:31
    About things falling off a Lotus, it's true. Back in 1974 a neighbor bought a new Lotus Europa. He drove it pretty hard, but he also kept it maintained. One day, when it was two years old, he opened the driver's door and it fell onto the ground. He got it fixed, and about a month later he opened the passenger door and it fell onto the ground. He traded it for a Mercedes before anything else fell off.
    Bob D Stroud April 15, 2015 at 20:39
    Here's Y U Never Drive An Import, Ford backward: Driver Returns On Foot, Asia's Curse Upon Rural America, Just Empty Every Pocket
    chuck kiefer United States April 15, 2015 at 20:39
    GMC. Garage Mechanic's Companion
    Bill New Jersey April 15, 2015 at 20:45
    MG - Mighty Good GMC - Garage Man's Companion
    Doug Harley Abington, PA April 15, 2015 at 20:52
    EDSEL - Every Day Something Else Leaks!
    Clayton Hamilton Tucson, AZ April 15, 2015 at 20:55
    What about "chiverlay"? Shiver on the highway, lay in the garage. (I've owned the same Bronco for 45 years.)
    MICHAEL KOHEL NEW YORK April 15, 2015 at 20:57
    How about, Fix or Repair Daily, another one we used to say.
    Mark James Northville, MI April 15, 2015 at 20:58
    GM, "Great Mistake"
    Bjorn Hunskar oklahoma city April 15, 2015 at 21:11
    Mopar= mostly old parts and rust
    David Kwan Grosse Pointe, Mi April 15, 2015 at 21:13
    Lucas - look under car after starting BMW - break my window
    Craig Chamberlain Seattle WA April 15, 2015 at 21:13
    MOPAR: My Old Pig Ain't Running.
    Eddie Richmond April 15, 2015 at 21:14
    G M C Got a Mechanic Coming
    Harold Hayward Sacramento April 15, 2015 at 21:18
    GMC. Got a Mechanic Comin. Chevrolet. Chove it or leave it. Plymouth. Please Leave your monney order under the hood.
    doug gitzlaff albuquerque nm April 15, 2015 at 21:24
    GMC Gotta Mechanic Coming
    Don CA April 15, 2015 at 21:29
    Chevrolet: Condition Hopeless, Entire Vehicle Relies on Leftover Engine Technology... or, Can Hear Every Valve Rattle on Long Extended Trips.
    Bob Matteson Atlanta April 15, 2015 at 21:37
    Had a friend who bought a new Fiat X1/9. Battery kept going dead and we couldn't figure out why. Looked and looked for the voltage regulator but couldn't find where it was located. Took it to the dealer and found it had never been installed.
    WR Texas April 15, 2015 at 21:46
    I had a 1985 Grand Wagoneer and it definitely was "Just Empty Every Pocket"
    VW Joe Mass April 15, 2015 at 21:49
    Just a couple from back in the day: Ford ~ Fix or Repair Daily GMC ~ Garage Mechanic's Companion (Covered everything from Generous Motors)
    Bj Kraushar Duncan ,BC, Canada April 15, 2015 at 21:55
    MOPAR.. (Plymouth} "my old plymouth always runs"
    Gary cundiff Dobson,n.c. April 15, 2015 at 22:01
    G.T.O. Going to overhaul, GMC Garage mans Companion, Chevrolet is a French name(la phew), Rolls Royce rolls real good down hill, Friends don't let friends drive Chevrolets, Al Bundy Dodges, G.T.O. Gas Tires Oil. Enough for me I drive an H2 Recovery Vehicle-JEEP.
    Bill Harpers Ferry, WV April 15, 2015 at 22:31
    Plymouth-- Please Leave Your Money Out Under The Hood!!! :)
    Louie Ithaca NY April 15, 2015 at 22:40
    Mostly Outdated Pachyderms At Rest
    Louie Ithaca NY April 15, 2015 at 22:44
    Mostly Outdated Pachyderms At Rest
    Phil Portland April 15, 2015 at 22:44
    GMC: Gotta Mechanic Coming
    John Omaha April 15, 2015 at 22:44
    GMC : General maintenance constantly. FORD: forever old rusty dented. Flip over read directions. DODGE: drips oil drops grease everywhere. AMC: another major catastrophe. OLDS: old ladies drive Sundays.
    Dave W. NW IL April 15, 2015 at 22:44
    MOPAR: Many Obsolete Parts Arranged Ridiculously and My Old Plymouth Always Runs
    Dave W. NW IL April 15, 2015 at 22:45
    Keith P. Portland, OR April 15, 2015 at 22:48
    Does anyone remember My Ol' Pig Ain't Runnin'? (Mopar}
    Tim J Minnesota April 15, 2015 at 22:56
    What about GMC (God's Mechanical Curse)
    Les Moncton NB, canada April 15, 2015 at 23:09
    FORD Fix Or Repair Daily
    Mike Minnesota April 15, 2015 at 23:10
    I have always loved FORDs (First On Race Day) and love picking the Chevy lovers especially GMC (Got Mechanic Coming)
    Tim Gallagher Leesburg, VA April 15, 2015 at 23:14
    Mopar: "Mostly Old Parts and Rust"; Dodge: "Department of Defense Garbage Equipment"; Plymouth: "Poor late young man out under the hood";
    Frank LaForge Wichita, Ks April 15, 2015 at 23:48
    F.O.R.D. stands for: First On Race Day
    K M Redding Ca April 16, 2015 at 01:04
    FORD backwards Driver Returns On Foot, Full Of Rust Deposits. KIA Killed In Action. Beautiful Mechanical Wonder-Bring More Wrenches.
    mike hoover Chandler, az. April 16, 2015 at 01:05
    From a friend in Sweden FORD= "Found On Russian Dump"
    rick390 colorado April 16, 2015 at 01:21
    MOPAR= mostly old parts and rust
    Jim Auburn, CA April 16, 2015 at 01:25
    GTO. Gas Tires & Oil
    Ben Lamprecht Pta,Sa April 16, 2015 at 01:29
    Fiat was "first in all troubles"and Ford was "first on the rubbish dump"
    Bob S Canada April 16, 2015 at 01:31
    FORD, For Old Retired Drivers!
    Rex Kimel Castle Rock, CO April 16, 2015 at 01:43
    Chews Heads Eats Valves, Races Only Little Electric Trains.
    Neil R Statesboro, GA April 16, 2015 at 01:46
    Darn Ken, I thought I was the only one that remembered the EMF acronym! Although I recall it being "Every Mechanic's Failure"
    Dave Goff Concord, NC April 16, 2015 at 14:29
    Us proud Ford owners are quick to point out that "GM" now stands for "Government Motors." End of discussion.
    Ed Price Chula Vista, CA USA April 16, 2015 at 02:54
    My 1969 Fiat 850 Spyder convertible was the most fun car I ever owned; underpowered but so light that it was still sporty. Unfortunately, the Pirelli's wore down to the cords in 10k miles, the front wheel bearings failed at 6k miles, and every so often under hard acceleration, the #1 spark plug would shatter. Most interesting was that I would blow the alternator field fuse quite often; after Fiat was baffled, at 3k miles I took the alternator apart and found a big wad of wheel bearing grease squished into the slip rings. As the bronze and graphite seated themselves, bits of conductive material would build up in the grease and blow the fuse. Clearly, industrial sabotage, so thanks, Tony!
    gweiner Ocean, NJ April 16, 2015 at 15:11
    GMC - Garage Man's Companion
    Barry Vogel Sussex, WI April 16, 2015 at 16:26
    A few more: Mostly Odd Parts And Rust; Move Over Pontiac Approaching Rapidly; Garbage Truck w/Overdrive; Get Tools Out; God Takes Over. The letters in PONTIAC can be rearranged to spell ANTICOP (I once knew a guy who did this).
    mike koss orlando April 16, 2015 at 04:40
    ford fails on rainy days
    JM VanTress United States April 16, 2015 at 16:57
    Camaro = Crap Always Makes a Rotten Odor
    Jim Rhode Island April 16, 2015 at 05:17
    Probably the worst article I've seen on cars. Most of the names or phases given rival car companies should not be discussed in print. My Dad had a few choice ones that would make you chuckle, but he would agree they wouldn't be fit for print. Leave them to the street, track or bar rooms. Even your attempt at generator vs alternator reliability is weak, because it has nothing to do with the trash talking that went with the rivalry between diehards. The old days of "win on Sunday sell on Monday" was real. BTW, I still have an 50 plus year old "generator" car, that was my daily driver for 15 years, over 130K miles and never let us down, even in the worst New England weather.
    Allan Flagstaff, AZ April 16, 2015 at 17:34
    Dodge=Drips Oil, Drops Grease Everywhere. MOPAR=Mostly Old Parts And Rust. Ford=Finest Off Road Device. And my '67 289 Cougar has earned me a shelf full of trophies, thus First On Race Day.
    scott Tennessee April 16, 2015 at 06:27
    MOPAR: Move Over Pontiac Approaching Rapidly. Of course the Mopar guys said it was Move Over Plymouth Approaching Rapidly. Also: My Old Plymouth Ain't Runnin' and Mostly Old Parts And Rust. Dodge: Don't Over-Do Granny's Engine.
    Bud Conner New Jersey April 16, 2015 at 06:59
    Frequent overhaul rapid depreciation, another Ford acronym used by Chevy guys. You missed the GMC - General mess of crap or garage man's companion.
    Aaron Illinois April 16, 2015 at 19:11
    Honda Had one never doing again Fiat Fixed it again temporarily Acura All cars use real accessories Toyota Tow on you own time again Nash Not a sexy hotrod Kia Kill it already Jeep Just expect equipment problems Chevy Could have every vehicle year 15 year in auto aftermarket you get to hear them all. And no none of them are positive!
    Darryl Walton Toronto, ON April 16, 2015 at 07:34
    While certainly not a classic car, I've still always liked this one about Hyundai: Hope You Understand Nothing's Dependable And Inexpensive
    Dave Cincy April 16, 2015 at 19:35
    Being a loyal Camaro owner this hurts to say but..."Carry A Mechanic And Repair Often" and my wife owns Dodges so she likes hearing, Mopar "Mostly Old People And Rednecks"
    CJ Raleigh, NC April 16, 2015 at 07:39
    I like this one (and I love my MOPAR): Mainly Old People And Rednecks
    TL LI NY April 16, 2015 at 07:46
    BMW - Big Money Wasted
    jim wartburg tn. April 16, 2015 at 07:54
    they are good and bad in all makes build before 1970 all is good
    Bob M Durham, NC April 16, 2015 at 19:55
    I've always liked Garage Man's Companion
    GLGarlin Milwaukee, WI April 16, 2015 at 07:59
    FORD - Favorite Of Race Drivers
    Al Macomb Mich April 16, 2015 at 08:07
    I've always known MOPAR as Mostly Old Parts And Rubish.
    Gene Crabill Greensburg, IN April 16, 2015 at 08:09
    GMC - garage man's companion
    Tony Holmes Keene, NH April 16, 2015 at 08:11
    Dodge - dead on day guarantee expires
    Karl Charleston, SC April 16, 2015 at 08:15
    General Motors Corp. = Gottcha Mechanic Comming
    FRANK STEPHENS United States April 16, 2015 at 08:18
    Im a Mopar guy but this one cracks me up., My Old Pig Aint Running
    james holcomb Cleveland, OH April 16, 2015 at 20:19
    I am a true blue ford guy and have heard this one more than once Flip Over Read Directions
    garlin Milwaukee April 16, 2015 at 08:36
    FORD - Favorite Of Race Drivers
    Art Pittaway United States April 16, 2015 at 08:37
    GMC Gotta' Mechanic Commin'
    kent williams springfield, mo April 16, 2015 at 20:37
    Ford backwards: driver returns on foot
    kevin pa. April 16, 2015 at 08:41
    ford reversed driver returnes on foot chevy Cracked Heads Every Valve Rattles Oily Exhaust Toots
    Mojo Indianapolis April 16, 2015 at 08:41
    Flip Over Read Directions, Had One Never Did Again, First Out Race Day, Accelerates Under Demonic Influence, Can Hear Every Valve Rattle On Long Extended Trips, Garage Man Coming, Very Weird, Big Ugly Indestructible Car Killer
    Ron Givler Altoona, Pa. April 16, 2015 at 08:43
    DODGE, Dependable Old Dodge Goes Everywhere!
    Bob Tampa April 16, 2015 at 08:47
    FORD - From Our Rust Department
    Benjamin leibecki Anderson, al April 16, 2015 at 08:50
    Toyota was "take out your old tools again", dodge "dead or dying garbage emitter" and jeep "just empty every pocket"
    Ray Harkness Hamilton, ON April 16, 2015 at 08:53
    AMC - All Manufacturers' Crap
    Ed Caledonia April 16, 2015 at 08:58
    As an AMC owner I can say All Makes Combined!
    Marty A east coast April 16, 2015 at 09:03
    flip over read directions
    Mike Schultz Clarksville, TN April 16, 2015 at 09:04
    Chevy Shove It or Leave It. On a clear day You can hear a Chevy Rust.
    Jeff Pleasant Valley , NY April 16, 2015 at 09:07
    MOPAR - Mostly Old Parts And Rust
    Hal Mullins Columbus, Ohio April 16, 2015 at 09:15
    I thought it stood for first on race day....
    Marty A delaware April 16, 2015 at 09:21
    Ford: flip over read directions
    Rick LI, New York April 16, 2015 at 09:24
    frequent overhaul , rapid deterioration
    Steve Phillips Eugene OR April 16, 2015 at 21:26
    Faster on Race Day
    Geoff Gergler Maine April 16, 2015 at 09:28
    General Mess
    tim decaturville tn April 16, 2015 at 09:36
    Chevrolet.... Cheap Heap Every Valve Rattles Oil Leaks Every Time.
    Tim Everett United States April 16, 2015 at 09:38
    Cracked Heads Every Valve Rattles Oil Leaks Every Time (Chevrolet)
    John G. Bunch Frederick, Md. April 16, 2015 at 21:45
    Found On Russian Dump, Futile Italian Attempt, @ Transportation Poor Old Nitwit Thinks It's A Cadillac Got Mechanic Coming Garage Mans Companion Great Mountain Climber Move Over Powerful Apparatus Running Move Over Power Approaching Rapidly Mechanics Gluttony Damn Old Dirty Gas Eater Motorcycles are not immune either Best Sickle Around British Ship Anchor British Scrap Aluminum (Aluminium?) Bastard Stopped Again There was one for Yuasa batteries I've long since forgotten. Some one really needs to write a book of these, with maybe a sub chapter on superstitions, i.e. green cars and peanuts in the pits etc. What do you think Mr. Gross, I'm presuming you are "the" Ken Gross.
    Skye Luscombe LAS April 16, 2015 at 09:47
    GMC - Good Mechanic Coming
    John B Pa. April 16, 2015 at 09:58
    I always knew FIAT as "Found In A Toilet"....
    FRED PA April 16, 2015 at 09:59
    DODGE -- DRIP GREASE DROPS OIL EVERYWHERE. MOPAR -- MADE OF PLASTIC AND RUBBER GM -- GROSS MISMANAGEMENT
    Barry Vogel Sussex, WI April 16, 2015 at 10:06
    Mostly Odd Parts And Rust; Move Over Pontiac Approaching Rapidly; Garbage Truck w/Overdrive; God Takes Over; Get Tools Out; The letters in PONTIAC can be switched to ANTICOP (I knew a guy who did this).
    tom st.louis April 16, 2015 at 10:09
    FORD Fast On Race Day
    Jean Lafontaine Connecticut April 16, 2015 at 10:10
    I worked as a technician for a Ford dealer for 38 years and found Ford to be the best car in the USA. Here is my acronym {for only real drivers}.
    Bill Broecker Indianapolis April 16, 2015 at 10:14
    Don't forget JEEP = Just Empty Every Pocket
    george custodio michigan April 16, 2015 at 10:14
    MOPAR, move over people are racing......AMC....... aint my car.....lol
    Joey C Fresno, CA April 16, 2015 at 10:23
    A couple not mentioned: MOPAR: Massively Over Powered and Respected. GMC: Gotta Mechanic Comin'
    Lynne Butanis Harrisburg PA April 16, 2015 at 22:23
    I heard once that "VW" means "virtually worthless."
    Kevin Stephenson Mesa, AZ April 16, 2015 at 10:34
    GMC, Got Mechanic Coming... MOPAR, Mostly Old Parts And Rust
    craig baker Milwaukee,WI April 16, 2015 at 10:38
    MOPAR= Move Over Power Approaching Rapidly
    Jim McElroy Ann Arbor, MI April 16, 2015 at 22:38
    FORD aka Fix or Repair Daily GM aka General Maintenance
    ron vine hibbing, minnesota April 16, 2015 at 10:54
    GMC -got mechanic coming......toyota -too often Yankees overprice this auto.....
    Ted SoCal April 16, 2015 at 11:04
    Ask any owner of an older Bimmer with electrically-operated door glass: BMW = Barely Moving Windows.
    Captain Bob Okemos, Mi April 16, 2015 at 11:08
    Dodge; Doesn't often do good enough Chevrolet; Completely Hopeless, entire vehicle relies on leftover engine technology
    Gerry Dettling Clarkston,Mi April 16, 2015 at 23:19
    MOPAR...Mostly Old Parts And Rust
    Keith Holland Minnesota April 16, 2015 at 11:24
    MOPAR --Move Over, Power Approaching Rapidly. But, as an owner of an old Plymouth, I do like the two posted by Jack from Port Orchard
    Dave Gilbeau Harrison Twp MI April 16, 2015 at 11:39
    My favorite for MOPAR is "Move Over Power Approaching Rapidly"
    Chris D. Palm Bay, FL April 16, 2015 at 11:42
    Dead Or Dying Gas Eater!
    Mike New Jersey April 16, 2015 at 11:52
    For Ford - frecker only runs downhill, flip over read directions, backwards driver returns on foot For Mopar - mostly old parts and rust For Jeep - just expect every problem I just remember them don't really believe them!
    Lou Renzo New Jersey April 16, 2015 at 11:55
    Chevrolet CanHearEveryValveRappingOverLousyEngineTiming
    Jack Backer United States April 16, 2015 at 11:56
    BMW = Bring More Wrenches
    Lou Renzo New Jersey April 16, 2015 at 11:59
    FORD spelled backwards DriverReturnsOnFoot GMC God's Mighty Curse or GarageMechanic'sCompanion
    Bill Lewis Tulsa April 16, 2015 at 00:07
    Fix Or Repair Daily Mostly Old Parts And Rust First On Race Day
    Charlie New Jersey April 16, 2015 at 12:21
    I've owned lots of cars and many different brands. The best car I ever owned is the one I drive now for 25,000 miles per year. 2004 V-6 Mustang Convt. 244,000 miles. Never had any engine, transmission, exhaust, etc repairs. It still gets the same mileage as they day I bought it.
    John Wilson Camarillo , Calif. April 16, 2015 at 00:32
    MOPAR - My own personal adrenaline rush
    Mike Landis tyrone ga April 16, 2015 at 12:40
    Jeep=just everyone else's parts. My 84 Wagoneer came with parts from Ford,GM,and Mopar.
    Streakerbill SE Wisc April 16, 2015 at 12:40
    GMC Got a Mechanic Coming
    Bruce Gerecke Carbondale IL April 16, 2015 at 12:58
    I came up for one for Chevrolet decades ago,- Come Help Every Valve Roasted On Latest Engine Trouble
    carl johnson tennessee April 17, 2015 at 14:20
    Try these on, Ford spelled backwards, Driver Returns On Foot,Chevrolet,Can Hear Every Valve Rattle On Long Extended Trips
    Jack O'Hanlon Largo, FL April 17, 2015 at 14:42
    Chevrolet "Cheap hardly efficient vehicle running on luck every time"
    Steve Iowa April 17, 2015 at 16:04
    Pierce Arrow - Fierce Sparrow - they build birdcages before cars.
    Kevin Wojahn Tawas City, MI. April 17, 2015 at 17:07
    MOPAR Move Over Power Approaching Rapidly!!
    Rob Bareiss NL, CT April 17, 2015 at 17:31
    I always thought it was Move Over, Plymouth Approaching Rapidly... but some of the most clever ones I've seen were Something's Almost Always Broken, and How'd Your Undeveloped Nation Design Another Isuzu?
    Michael Hurley Montecito, CA. April 17, 2015 at 18:16
    SAAB - Something almost always breaks. Volvo - Vehicle on lift very often
    cucci customs greensburg pa April 17, 2015 at 08:21
    I am a chevy guy....but has a good mopar one is Massively Overpowered And Respected or Mostly Old Parts And Rust.....I like the latter
    Michael Tedder Alabama April 17, 2015 at 20:54
    Alfa Romeo= always looking for another rusty old machine emitting oil..As per William O. Haynes
    Chris Paul Greensboro, NC April 17, 2015 at 09:20
    Chevrolet: Cracked Heads, Every Valve Rattles, Oil Leaks Every Time.
    Homer Simpson Springfield, IL April 17, 2015 at 09:22
    PONTIAC - Poor Old Nigger Thinks It's Another Cadillac
    Mark Brandon United States April 17, 2015 at 09:23
    My dad said his dad had a EMF he called " Every morning fixum"
    Wade M Balto. Md April 17, 2015 at 10:43
    Plymouth G T X - Garbage Truck Experimental//GTO - Gas Tires Oil
    John Williams Bradford, Ont. April 17, 2015 at 11:58
    How about Ford spelt backwards....."Driver Returns On Foot."
    anonymous Pittsburgh April 17, 2015 at 00:23
    Poor Ole Nanny Thinks It's A Cadillac
    Chris Campbell Traverse City, MI April 17, 2015 at 00:33
    Now I'm an old guy and I have shed many prejudices--the ones in favor of General Motors and against Ford and Chrysler, for example. I had several fine GM cars, including a very used Corvair that I drove the hell out of for a year. And I remember my Dad's '66 Plymouth Fury wagon, a surprisingly nimble vehicle. Then I bought Ford, my prized '86 Mustang GT that I bought when it was a year old, and have had two very nice Ranger trucks with 4 cylinder engines. Hey, there's another prejudice--when I was a teen, the very idea of driving a 4 cyl. vehicle seemed absurd.
    Gary Gottron New Jersey April 17, 2015 at 12:41
    GTO -- Gas Tires and Oil... or Girls Tonight Only
    Kevin D. Oregon April 18, 2015 at 03:55
    Many of these responses made me smile but, John B. from Pennsylvania threw one out there I'd never, ever heard. FIAT: "Found In A Toilet" Thanks man! I laughed so hard I had tears running down my cheeks. After 40+ years in the car hobby, still learned something new. Hysterical!
    Erit Hialeah, FL April 18, 2015 at 16:36
    Fix Or Repair Daily
    Ron Niagara falls April 18, 2015 at 17:34
    MOPAR mostly old people and rednecks
    Frank frauhammer Ann Arbor mi April 18, 2015 at 06:59
    GM...gonna malfunction!
    Patty USA April 18, 2015 at 09:17
    I hear Porsche is suing Ford over rights to Fix Or Repair Daily!
    Tom Nebraska April 20, 2015 at 15:24
    Minor variation- Found On Roadside Deserted
    Lemans Mass. April 20, 2015 at 09:29
    Audi CVT transmission (Constantly Visiting Technician)
    DAVID BROWER WAKE FOREST , NC April 20, 2015 at 12:08
    DODGE ~ Dreams Of Dependability , Gone Elsewhere
    DAVID BROWER WAKE FOREST , NC April 20, 2015 at 12:09
    TOYOTA ~ Take Out Your Old Tools Again
    john mpls April 21, 2015 at 15:46
    Ford spelled backwards. DROF driver returned on foot
    Greg Stewart Fresno, California April 22, 2015 at 01:37
    Those of us who were GT40 fans would say First On Race Day!! As for my 1973 Jensen Healey, the Lotus Type 907 engine has been great. (And YES, that plastic fuel tee was replaced before I put it on the road back in the summer of 1999!) Sooooo, Noooo trouble here. Just fun and a great sound! Best therapy around.....
    Paul Kieffer Canton Ohio April 24, 2015 at 10:47
    JEEP - Just Expect Every Problem or Just Expense Every Penny. After owning several Jeeps I just shrug it off!
    Adam deFelice Los Angeles April 27, 2015 at 15:51
    Although I own two and don't agree, nobody mentioned FIAT, Failure In Automotive Technology.....
    Don warner Hatboro, PA April 28, 2015 at 16:35
    Not an acronym but one I thought of asvery accurate in the day was: "MOPAR is below par".
    ken gutwein long island, ny May 4, 2015 at 23:08
    VOLVO= Vehicle Of Low Velocity Owners
    john Mooresville IN May 5, 2015 at 13:02
    FORD for over road dependability & first on race day
    Jim Delta OH May 11, 2015 at 11:24
    Here's one for MOPAR. More Overall Performance And Reliabilty.
    Steve Charlotte, NC June 17, 2015 at 16:10
    MOPAR - Move Over People Are Racing
    Richard Indiana June 17, 2015 at 18:45
    DODGE; Danged Old Dirty Gas Eater FORD; First On Race Day
    Kevin Tujunga CA June 17, 2015 at 22:05
    Jeep. . . Just Empty Every Pocket! Loved these all - Thanks
    robert leola pa June 17, 2015 at 22:41
    ford f.... over rotted and dented GTO gas tires oil Pontiac poor old nut thinks its a cadillac
    Streets New York June 18, 2015 at 03:12
    FORD Spelled bassackwards equals DROF or Driver Returns On Foot & All my Fords are built tough with CHEVY STUFF..