31 March 2015

Our Cars: Jenn Moreno’s 1978 Chevrolet Corvette

As a kid, Jenn Moreno spent hours in the garage with her dad while he worked on his hot rods, so naturally she grew up with an appreciation for cars. Jenn’s love for Corvettes came much later, but her passion for the iconic GM sports car is strong. Each autumn she organizes a color tour for members of her Corvette club, and whenever she takes the car out, her three children argue about whose turn it is to ride along. Jenn’s love for classic automobiles makes her a perfect fit at Hagerty, where she began working as a sales agent before becoming an underwriter.

Name: Jenn Moreno

Position at Hagerty: Underwriter

Years at Hagerty: 8

Vehicle(s) 1978 Silver anniversary Corvette

Why did you choose a 1978 Chevrolet Corvette? It’s been my dream to own a Corvette “someday.” I wasn’t anticipating owning my own until I was older, but I was at the right place at the right time and couldn’t pass up the chance to make my dream come true.

Repairs and Modifications: It’s all original. There were only 23,696 miles on it when I bought it. It even had the original tires on it (I bought new ones.) I don’t plan on modifying it, and it’s in very good condition now. I’ll probably restore it to show-quality condition someday, but for now I just want to enjoy driving it.

Hobby activities: Besides my love for Corvettes I also love photography, so I enjoy combining the two by taking a cruise to a great spot and taking pictures of the car.

Interesting Car Stories: About eight years ago, I was driving home with my boys in the backseat. As we passed a local hotel they started yelling to go back because there was a parking lot full of cool cars. So I turned around and we checked them out. They were all Corvettes. We drove up and down the parking lot ooh-ing and ah-ing.

About six months later, when I was working in sales, I got a call from a client who wanted a quote on his Corvette. As I was quoting, I noticed he was from Grand Blanc (Mich.), so I told him that Hagerty is located in Michigan, as well. He excitedly told me that he comes up to Traverse City every October with his Corvette club, and they all stay at a local hotel. I immediately remembered how the boys and I came across their club in the parking lot and how excited the boys were. He offered to take them for a ride the next time, and he was true to his word three years in a row. The third year, he handed me the keys and let me drive. That was the day I discovered my absolute love for Corvettes.

Favorite Drive: I don’t care where I’m going as long as I’m in my Corvette, but a few of my favorite cruises are along the coast of Lake Michigan in Leelanau County, around Torch Lake, and to Frankfort to watch the sun set.

Best and Worst Moments: The best moment was driving the car home with my daughter in the passenger seat on the day I purchased it. Another favorite memory was when I was cruising with my daughter and she said, “Mom, you know how we usually point out all the cool cars? Well now people are pointing at us!” My worst moment in the car was when I took it on an organized cruise and got caught in the rain with the tops off.

Ralf Toronto ontario canada April 1, 2015 at 19:40
    Love your passion and stories and moments we own two british classics and i felt xactly like your daughter also i take kids for a little ride as well
    Jill Long Island April 1, 2015 at 21:04
    Oh yes, I am truly in love with my car, I miss it even thou it's in the garage. This winter has been horrible. Can WAIT to take it out, hot black on black, six speed, hard top n soft top 92, amazing, truly a treat for all my hard work. It's like taking a vacation- cruising down to the beach.... Every time!
    Karen Giardino Stten Island, NY April 1, 2015 at 10:47
    You go girl! I have a 1970 Chevelle SS 396 that I cruise around in! Its the highlight of my twilight! LOL! Keep the passion going!
    Lee Lindblom Elberta,Al. April 2, 2015 at 03:22
    I have a love for Pontiac Trans-Ams. I currently have a 1979 with 68,000 original miles. I am a GM fan!
    Steve Kania South Plainfield, NJ April 2, 2015 at 09:48
    Jenn, I have that same '78 Silver Anniv vette with 5,900 miles on it. Don't drive as much as my '69 and '12 Centennial vettes, but still love how smooth it handles. The iconic look will last forever. Keep passing that "corvette love" down to your children ... my son drives a custom '95 too.
    Ross Colorado April 2, 2015 at 12:57
    My advice if you love driving your Corvette don't restore it to show quality because if you do and then drive it you'll spend over half your time detailing it back to show condition. Keep it nice and enjoy driving it and let some body else chase the trophies.
    NewtyNewt 3rd rock from the Sun April 5, 2015 at 20:40
    I enjoyed reading your story about Love for Corvettes. I never owned one, but have a fondness for other makes. I always try to restore something on my old cars & trucks every year no matter how small the detail. They don't get driven much because I do the work myself. There is something satisfying about a little wheel resto or interior, engine detail, whatever. You know & feel pride when you make any improvement. Enjoy your ride & if ever you want a pile of dust collecting trophy's, then you won't have much left to do to the Corvette to get some later. I always donate my trophies.
    Daniel Sills Florida May 28, 2015 at 11:38
    I bought my 1978 Silver anniversary Corvette new in Wayne Mi. I still have it. Some aging but it looks and runs great... Did you know that the anniversary model was a limited addition.. unlike the 78 standard model. I also changed out the tires but today I'm looking for a original set to have them recapped. Good luck and have fun
    David Georgia July 13, 2015 at 14:01
    Great looking Corvette and very good story. Enjoy it and thanks for all the help getting my two vehicles set up with y'all. You and your company have been great!