3 February 2015

Video: MGB Buyers Guide

Thinking of buying an MG? Danny Hopkins, editor of Practical Classics Magazine, uses a beautiful 1975 MGB GT Jubilee edition to illustrate what to look for — including typical trouble spots — before you make a purchase. This is latest in a series of videos we filmed during a visit to our UK offices.

CJ United States February 4, 2015 at 15:47
    Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers? Ugly!
    Al PA February 4, 2015 at 16:26
    Great video! How about one on an Mg Midget (or other British sports car) (!)?
    Jeff Colorado February 4, 2015 at 16:31
    Had a '76 MGB. Pulled the motor, which was tired, and installed a Mitsubishi 2000cc with its 5-speed. It was an easier swap than I'd imagined. Wound up with a bigger, lighter engine, lots more torque, and an extra speed on a lighter transmission. Not exactly what the purists want to hear, I suppose, but it satisfied the "hot rod" gene in me.
    Dr. C Patagonia, AZ February 4, 2015 at 17:39
    In early 1972, I spotted an MGB-GT on the lot of a dealer with curious ethics. Pardon the split infinitive. The coupe was early ~ 1969, with chrome bumpers. The sales guy assured us the paint was original (it was not) and that it had never been in an accident (it had), however, I took it for a test drive with my wife. We found the previous owner's name on a wilted insurance card under a floor mat, along with some petrified M&Ms, and an empty Trojan wrapper. It seemed to drive right, but the better half would not accept the premise that this would be a perfect family car. At the time we had two children, ages 3 and 1. The back 'seat' could handle the two munchkins, but little else. These were the days before mandatory child restraints, the internet, CarFax, and the ease of concealing salvage titles. We left without making an offer, and upon returning home, called the P.O. He laughed when he learned the car was for sale; he survived a rollover eight months prior and the car had been totalled by State Farm. When I mentioned the tin foil find under the front seat he laughed again, saying the only reason we didn't find more....."you only attempt the act in an MGB once".
    George Victor, NY February 4, 2015 at 18:43
    We love our MGB and have had it over 30 years!
    Robert Marcotte Phoenix AZ February 4, 2015 at 22:08
    Have a 76 mg midget in repair and want to sell it sometime soon
    j lagana United States February 5, 2015 at 16:24
    I have a 66 MGB roadster. Have owned since 1974. Moved from Indiana to Florida in '75. Did not want to drive it down so I put it on Autotrain from Louisville to Sanford, Florida. Always been garaged. I love the way it drives. Had very little electrical problems as is most complains of most cars with Lucas elec. Keep it dry and it will not fail you. Will keep it forever if I can help it. Safety fast!!!!!
    Jeff Siddall Ottawa, ON February 5, 2015 at 08:57
    Best quote: "I drive an MGB -- it gets me to work _most days_" LOL
    Ray Hamman Clarkston, MI February 18, 2015 at 00:29
    A 67 MGB/GT Special was my first new car, bought it for myself as a college graduation present. Last year for the real knockoffs, had a non-synchro first gear, and I really liked it...for a while. Dropped it off at the dealership for every oil change with a blanket "do whatever it needs" instruction. 2 years later the 2nd gear synchro was gone, had to keep a heat lamp on the door (in a garage) in the winter or the latch simply froze and wouldn't work, was burning oil, fuel pump had died, gas tank leaked...I really loved that car but it had to go. Turned into a 69 Mustang Mach 1 in 69 and the start of a love of muscle cars that is still with me. But...I might have to find a 67 B/GT someday.
    DOOPER salem ny July 25, 2015 at 10:33
    I just sold a 79 midget. Fun to drive,not easy getting in and out. I also have a 67 B/GT. 30 yr project never finished. Might some day or sell to right owner.