23 December 2014

Video: 1963 Volvo 1800S ride along

Hagerty International Managing Director Angus Forsyth bought his 1963 Volvo 1800S in 1982 when he was 18 years old and still drives it to this day. Every time he gets behind the wheel, the smell of the car takes him back to his childhood where he fondly remembers his mother, who drove him around in an identical vehicle.

Gordy in Canandaigua, NY Canandaigua, NY December 31, 2014 at 16:32
    Nice article, beautiful 1800s! I have a 1969 p1800 s project car currently listed for offers. They are a very nice looking Volvo.
    John Lancaster, PA December 31, 2014 at 16:34
    As pretty as most any Ferrari and one of the prettiest cars ever made!
    dan colorado December 31, 2014 at 16:58
    These were the old day version of the new day Dodge Magnum. The Magnum was a much more refined car but the 1800S, in the day, always turned our heads as kids. Very much ahead of it's time for styling.
    John california December 31, 2014 at 17:42
    So many times I've smiled when I cross paths with a memorable car aroma, so true. I have a stable familiar to Angus with an Interceptor, E Type, 1800ES and a number of other British gems. They all have a distinct and memorable aroma that is part of the experience.
    Walter Bryant United States December 31, 2014 at 19:38
    What a cool car! I remember when they were new and shared a dealership with Triumph. I've always wanted one. Maybe some day.
    David Wells Syracuse, In USA December 31, 2014 at 19:49
    I have a 641800 Sm 4 speed with electric overdrive, now that I'm retired am going to restore,been setting 12 yrs, get started once and while. It's rough,has rust as it came from Mich.Have put in new steel plate floor and jack ports.need to bondo body where needed and redo interior.I have a lead foot so I have totalled a 68 242 twice.last time was unable to help it as it got T boned.My first car was a 58 PV 544 that I bought 16.It has a modified engine ran like a rabbit,used to drag race with it as my classmates drove chevys and though they could shut me down,what a surprise for them So my first love has always been Volvo.
    cliff patton morristown. TN December 31, 2014 at 21:52
    Great veido, i feel the same way about My 1972 fj-40 land cruiser i have had For 30 years.
    gary nelson rochester nh 03867 December 31, 2014 at 22:18
    The first car my father drove me around in was a 1949 Studebaker convertible still which we still own today.Great memories.
    Dave A. Sacramento, CA. December 31, 2014 at 22:20
    I would imagine you chaps call it a "RPM gauge" aka: tachometer, apparently needs to be hooked up (unless you were coasting) I love the lines of that car though!
    Jim duffey Oldsmar fl December 31, 2014 at 23:18
    Nice story. I hope you like my car , VOLVOOM , coming later this year Angus.
    B. Townes North America January 1, 2015 at 01:26
    Lovely car! In 1965 I was driving a Morgan 4/4 - until a friend gave me a rainy day ride in his 1800 and I stayed dry! We could converse in normal tones. We were warm. The car felt solid, "of a piece." Two years later I bought one, a BRG `67 that looked a lot like Forsyth's except for the trim, bumpers & grill. Foolishly, I let it go with less than 100,000 miles on its clock. But... In `83 I bought a `72 1800ES, BRG, with some 60,000 miles on it. I still have it. It has nearly 600,000 on it now. I drive it only occasionally now - and relish the memories of gonzo 50-hour coast-to-coast runs in our younger years to see my folks, runs up Highway One through Big Sur and... . There are many fine memories with that car which still runs perfectly, remains unblemished, rust-free, polished and ready for another dash anywhere any time - but only on nice days because, as a friend named the car, she's Precious.
    Jamie Graham Victoria, British Columbia, Canada January 1, 2015 at 15:19
    my 1800 is five years newer, same colour, steering wheel on the left and an absolute joy to work on. Mine was indoors, undriven for 12 years+ and with some quality carb work by Rhys Kent, started and idles like the day it came off the showroom floor. Congrats to Hagerty for the great and moving personal story.
    Jamie Graham Victoria, British Columbia, Canada January 1, 2015 at 15:23
    Angus, my 1800 is five years newer, same colour, steering wheel on the left and an absolute joy to work on. Mine was indoors, undriven for 12 years+ and with some quality carb work by Rhys Kent, started and idles like the day it came off the showroom floor. Congrats to you and Hagerty for the great and moving personal story. Hang on to your 1800, with Volvo coming out with their concept car based so much on the body lines and styling of this classic, you also have an appreciating asset.
    Rosario1649 New Haven CT January 1, 2015 at 04:49
    This is gotta be one of the most exciting cars I've seen in awhile. The body lines the interior the dash board I am Completely Sold without a doubt :)
    Tim Boston January 1, 2015 at 07:50
    A few of us from the P1800 group caught this story and are interested in more details on his car. As you may know, 63 is a transitional year for the 1800 having moved production from England and Jensen to Sweden. Would you be able to post more photos, and share the Chassis number?
    Dr. Rod A .Yoder Florida January 1, 2015 at 10:08
    When I was in the Navy, three of my friends and I bought new cars in 1972. I bought a Fiat 124 Spider 5-speed, and my friends bought a Volvo 1800SE sport wagon automatic, a black on black 440 GTX with automatic ON THE COLUMN, and a 340 Challenger convertible, also auto. We would exchange cars for the weekend and go our separate ways, and I throughly enjoyed the Volvo 1800. It was not very quick, but not too slow, and it handled somewhat like my Fiat. Every time I see an 1800 Volvo, I flash back to those months of enjoyment and freedom. Thank you.
    Dick Wasko Cleveland, Ohio January 1, 2015 at 11:52
    In 1969 I bought a 1963 Red P1800 which I drove year round until it rusted to the point it was no longer safe to drive. I liked it so much, I was sad to get rid of it. 6 years ago, at age 71, I bought a 1971 1800E which was in excellent condition. I store this car during the winter season and will not even drive it in the rain. During the summer I take it to numerous Cruise-ins, and have yet to see another 1800. I get more comments on the car. It feels so good to own and drive such a rare car.
    Terry Beck Canada January 1, 2015 at 00:22
    Great piece of work! Thanks I have a '72 1800E. I am the second owner since first sold. Love it!!
    Ray Horn Chattanooga, TN 37421 January 2, 2015 at 13:37
    Like Angus, I still have, and enjoy driving on a regular basis, my 1800 E, which I purchased new in 1970. I believe that when you find a great car, you keep it.
    Rich Fulcher Jackson, NJ USA January 2, 2015 at 20:10
    Nice feature on a great car. I have a 1966 P1800S and just love driving it. I noticed Angus's car has a sun-roof / convertible section. Is this his doing and how does it operate. I personally wouldn't fool around with the car's lines which I think are just terrific. Thanks for the drive along.
    jack de ruiter Grand Rapids MI. January 4, 2015 at 20:59
    thank you for clearing up the mystery of why a British TV show would have a very British character driving a Swedish car.
    Terry LeBlanc Lower Coverdale NB Canada January 4, 2015 at 09:30
    I have restored 2 1800 s and 2 1800 se's. A very good and easy restorations. Not to hard to find parts.
    Bob Harmston Fullerton, CA, USA January 4, 2015 at 23:36
    That's about how I feel about my '59 PV544 which I bought used in 1962. It's still part of our family and mostly restored although not to show quality. I've been driving it all these years, 1962-present, so it's well over 50 years old and it;s been driven by me the whole time.
    Richard Bergstrom Newport Beach Ca. January 5, 2015 at 17:53
    I was the second owner of the first one sold in California to the famous Gene Autry. While I did have a bit of a problem navigating Riverside Race way, because of the weight I did enjoy it very much right up util the time I got married and needed a larger vehicle. still miss that little glowing light light that told me I was in over drive after hitting the max RPM's.
    William Allen Boulder CO, USA January 5, 2015 at 09:08
    I'm an avid, appreciative owner of a Volvo and liked your video
    Tim Colorado January 5, 2015 at 00:48