24 October 2014

Top five oddest classic car features

Anyone who has purchased a car has likely been overwhelmed by the list of features on the window sticker. Over the years, there have been some pretty imaginative features offered right from the dealership. Here are five of the more unique examples.

Lightning Rods Shifter – 1984 Oldsmobile Hurst: The perfect option for any automotive enthusiast who just can’t get enough levers, the Lightning Rods shifter walks a very strange line between a typical automatic and a full ratchet shifter. As goofy as it may look, Lightning Rods have no problem putting the power to the ground.

Swivel Seats – 1975 Chevrolet Laguna S3: It’s a wonder that more cars weren’t offered with swiveling seats, seeing as those troublesome stationary seats are always such a bother to get in and out of. While the swivel seat was designed for easy egress, an added benefit is that your vinyl won’t wear out nearly as quickly.

Highway Hi-Fi record player – 1957 Chrysler 300: The Highway Hi-Fi did its best to combat the needle scratching your precious 45s. Not only is there a generous amount of suspension built into the record player, the pressure placed on the needle was known to prematurely wear records out.

Rim Blow Steering Wheel – 1969 Ford Mustang Boss 429: In a time before road rage, Ford, AMC, Chrysler, and GM all thought it would be much better to get rid of the pesky horn button and just have drivers squeeze the wheel. One major defect of the Rim Blow was shrinkage… which caused the horn to sound all the time.

“His and Hers” Shifter (Hurst Dual/Gate) – 1969 Oldsmobile Hurst 442: One of the more sexist options to be offered on a car (to date), the Hurst Dual/Gate shifter was branded as the “His and Hers” shifter. The theory here was women wouldn’t want to be bothered by changing gears while driving. This option allowed the driver to kick the stick over and access all three gears “manually.”

Bill Thompson Georgia October 26, 2014 at 07:46
    Square steering wheel, push button transmission
    Jim Necci Amissville,VA October 26, 2014 at 21:12
    I remember the swivel seat and the Hurst 'Dual Gate' but not the others. The option I always thought was useless was the rear window defroster, back in the '70's I think. It was a blower/fan and heating element mounted in the package tray and blowing up onto the backlite. Didn't last very long. It was in GM cars.
    Ron New York October 27, 2014 at 09:50
    Ford's swing away steering column
    kirk United States AZ November 20, 2014 at 13:00
    Went to the Good Guy's car show and only saw one of the large Rancheros a 1957. Where have gone?
    Phil United States November 20, 2014 at 13:14
    Studebaker sliding roof on station wagon.
    JB Michigan November 20, 2014 at 13:16
    Rim blow steering wheel was available on Chrysler products too. I remember it being on our 1974 Plymouth Fury Sport Suburban wagon when I was a kid.
    Bob Hughes Macomb Mi November 20, 2014 at 13:23
    Regarding the swivel seats Chevrolet first introduced them in the 1973 Monte Carlo, Laguna/Chevelle. But i believe the first vehicles were the early 60's Chrysler products
    David Calgary November 20, 2014 at 13:37
    Reversible seat cushions – leather on one side, brocade on the other - on the ’56 Packard Caribbean. Thankfully the brocade was usually ugly as sin so a lot of the remaining cars have mint fabric and only the leather need be replaced.
    Linda Nebraska November 20, 2014 at 13:44
    Our brand new 1974 Monte Carlo also had swivel seats.
    George Waters Leesburg, Fl November 20, 2014 at 13:44
    Swivel seats were on a lot of Chrysler Corp cars. I had a 59 Desoto which seated 3 abreast, but when both outboard passengers exited the middle was caught in the Swivel Seat Squeeze
    Bajrang Nevada City, Callif. November 20, 2014 at 13:45
    I had a 1956 Chrysler New Yorker with the factory record player. It played 16 2/3 rpm records (small center hole) and was delivered with, among others, "The Ballad of Davey Crockett." The player was made by CBS and played through the car radio speaker. One of the best, of over 50, cars I ever owned.
    Randy Annapolis, MD November 20, 2014 at 13:56
    AM Stereo Radio--had one in my 1990 S10 Blazer, never could find a station broadcasting in AM stereo
    Jeff Keedysville MD November 20, 2014 at 14:00
    These seem oddball to me. I encountered these features while working at an auto auction: Cadillac with a foot operated switch that changed the radio station Mercury with a rear window that retracted like a station wagon Unknown with a foot operated windshield washer (that was a surprise) Pontiac? with a tach that protruded through the hood (better visibility, perhaps?) Any car with a floor starter switch, usually too close to the accelerator pedal.
    Jim Shelly East Hampton, NY November 20, 2014 at 14:05
    I remember a 1950 Studebaker Champion that had an option bolted to the steering wheel which was remarkable. I don't know if it was OEM or aftermarket, but after you loaded it up with unfiltered cigarettes, you held a button for 10 seconds or so, and it delivered a lit cigarette into your hand. Apparently the lawyer staff at Studebaker didn't worry about liability because they seemed to fall on the floor a lot.
    Wayne Graefen The Ranch November 20, 2014 at 14:12
    Chrysler products offered swivel seats in the '59-64 era. Thousands were either standard or optional in those cars. How quickly we forget.
    LocoMoco Hawaii November 20, 2014 at 14:13
    I had a '73 T-bird with the "rim blow" horn, but I gotta admit my '60 Valiant with the pushbutton auto trans on the dash was awesome. And that 225 slant-six was about as bulletproof as an engine can be.
    Festus Ohio November 20, 2014 at 14:18
    I had a 1959 DeSoto that also had swivel seats. Was a nice option.
    Hop NY November 20, 2014 at 14:20
    I believe my Dad's '64 T'bird had a swiveling front seat on the passenger side.
    Seth R Bershadsky United States November 20, 2014 at 14:27
    My parents had a Buick Electra ('67 or '68) with swivel seats... Great for me in high school when I needed more room in the back seat. Party time!!
    Bob Hartwick Wisconsin November 20, 2014 at 14:30
    I installed a Hurst Dual Gate in my T-Bucket built in 1969. Still own the car today and use the shifter both ways. It was one of the better selections for equipment I made.
    Robert Houston November 20, 2014 at 14:30
    Without being too indelicate, I think the miniskirt era could have had something to do with the swivel seats.
    Steve San Francisco & New Jersey November 20, 2014 at 14:53
    and as many know... Chrysler was first to bring us the swivel driver's seat
    Richard Kansas November 20, 2014 at 14:53
    The Edsel with the push button transmission selector in the center of the steering wheel. Picture Steve McQueen in the Bullit chase scene speed shifting with that setup.
    Teresa Stokes Houston TX November 20, 2014 at 14:53
    earlier swivel seats were on some 1959 Chryslers
    Dick Romm Eugene, Oregon November 20, 2014 at 14:56
    The 1975 Chevy's swivel seats were late to that party. In 1959 Chrysler products ALL (from Plymouth to Imperial) offered the option of swivel seats actuated by a lever. In 1960, they swiveled automatically when the door was opened.
    Steve Hamilton November 20, 2014 at 15:04
    I don't believe the GM Fan type rear defog. had a heating element in it, although I'm sure that would have helped! Just a fan. I had several '70's GM's with that style. It was better than nothing. Especially in the middle of winter.
    Scott mikkelson Sacramento ca November 20, 2014 at 15:15
    You forgot Ramblers twin stick-- 2 separate stick sifts side by side-- looked cool but in reality was only a 3 speed with one shifter and the other an actuator for the overdrive
    Lynn Messenger Fishtail, Mt. November 20, 2014 at 15:18
    I remember in 1967 one of my friends parents had a 58-59 Plymouth Fury drop top that had the record player and a clear , rectangular shaped steering wheel ! Way Kool.
    Dale Whitney Travelers Rest SC November 20, 2014 at 15:27
    The Highway Record player didn't play 45's. It played a special extended play disc that gave you a much longer play than the typical 3 min 45.
    Wayne Grey Browns Mills, NJ November 20, 2014 at 15:56
    Actually Chrysler Corp brought out Swivel Seats in 1959 - They were a standard feature on my 1959 Plymouth Sport Fury. Also, the HiWay HiFi used in 1956 & 1957 played hard to find 16 2/3 RPM records so Chrysler in 1959 started to use 45 RPM car record players made by RCA in 1959 - my 1959 Sport Fury also had one of the RCA players. Fun Option.
    Jerry Forthofer United States November 20, 2014 at 16:08
    We bought a new 1973 Monte Carlo with the swivel seat option and loved them. I was 27 years old then. At my current age, those seats would really be helpful now!!
    Mike Buttiglieri Marlborough, MA November 20, 2014 at 16:10
    Air vents at the top corners of the windshield on the 1957-58 Mercury Turnpike Cruiser.
    Pete Maine November 20, 2014 at 16:13
    My wife's 1971 AMC Javelin had that problem with the rim blow steering wheel shrinking and blowing - at 2AM on a very cold night! It woke up the whole neighborhood!
    Joe Maryland November 20, 2014 at 16:14
    I've never seen the Chevy with swivel seats, but some of the Chrysler products also had that type seat. I wish my '68 Mustang had them.
    Bobby Allison St. Catharines(Not Alabama) November 20, 2014 at 16:15
    l had a 1960 lmperial convertible with a 413 wedge. lt came with leather swivel seats,a button on the floor to change the radio station to name only a few luxury items.The car cost over $12,000 and in 1960 that was big bucks.
    CP Iowa November 20, 2014 at 16:23
    The Chevy Monte Carlo also used the swivel seat in the mid 70's. Some things were ahead of their time, like the push button start on the early 50's ford pickups (now returned by Nissan and others) and the dash shift lever (Chevy corsairs) now popular on Honda minivans.
    John Newton Tonawanda NY November 20, 2014 at 16:36
    Chrysler products had swivel seats in the late 50s. The hi-fi record players from Chrysler played at 16 2/3 rpmso you couldn't use any records from other sources. The 1941 Studebaker Landcruiser Commander that I grew up in and learned to drive in had a hill holder that stopped you from rolling backward with the clutch in, vacuum assisted shifting and the leaf springs rode in a grease filled box to improve the ride.
    Pete Clarksburg WV November 20, 2014 at 16:41
    I had an early fifties Oldsmobile that had a self winding clock built into the steering wheel. When you turned the wheel the clock would just like the old self winding wrist watches. Of course if you didn't drive the car for a few days the thing stopped. Only one I ever saw.
    peter McDonald Hollywood, CA November 20, 2014 at 16:49
    You left out two of my favorite, and very rare options: 1: The "mobile director's suite", an option on the 1967 Crown Imperial Chrysler coupe, you could swivel the front passenger seat back, it had a fold down table and a goose-neck lamp, amongst other "executive" features. Very "Matt Helm." Not sure how many were ordered, and have never seen one. Another one was the late 50's Dodge option of a 45 rpm record player. Designed to be played whilst in park. I did see one, but the car guy told me he added-it in.
    Michael Perry Florida November 20, 2014 at 17:13
    In regards to the rear window forced air defroster my 68 Chrysler Imperial Stretch Limousine has one and was a factory installed item
    Peter Cohen California November 20, 2014 at 17:16
    Chrysler had swivel seats back around 1960. I can't recall if they were standard or optional.
    Ralph Cooper Marion, Michigan November 20, 2014 at 17:25
    We bought a new 1973 Monte Carlo Coupe fully equipped and with swivel seats, Maroon and Cream hardtop. We took a trip west to Grand Canyon, made a large circle with our three children one girl and two boys, ages 10,8,6. What a fun time we had, and the car was a dream come true.
    Ben Winterville, NC November 20, 2014 at 17:26
    I have a 1973 Olds Cutlass 442 that has the swivel seats.
    Gary Michigan November 20, 2014 at 17:30
    Swivel seats are pretty cool. But I wonder why they're showing the 1975 Chevy as the example? Chrysler offered them from 1959 through 1961.
    Paul Wigton /colorado November 20, 2014 at 17:36
    There was the dual ratio gearbox in the early 80s, Dodge Colt, similar to the one in American Motors' Ramblers a few decades earlier!
    Sam Cleveland November 20, 2014 at 17:43
    '75 Chevy wasn't the first with swivel seats. Plymouth Sport Fury had them in the early '60s.
    Sam Cleveland November 20, 2014 at 17:44
    Paul Laguna Niguel, CA November 20, 2014 at 17:46
    Born and raised in Detroit, Ordered a 1960 Plymouth Fury that my father, who worked at Chrysler, had pulled off the line several times (and being late in the model year) had things added to the car,( no extra costs) Square steeling wheel, swivel seats and continental trunk deck The seats worked great for getting my grandmother in and out of the car..
    jim kansas November 20, 2014 at 17:47
    Dual gate shifter was on GTO in 1967, then there was the reverb for the radio
    John North Carolina November 20, 2014 at 18:00
    Good times I had a 1967 GTO with the his and her shifter.
    Ron R Austin, TX November 20, 2014 at 18:10
    Had a '70 Dodge wagon with rim horn actuator. It did not work and it took about 6 months before the dealer, after my threat to return the car, to take one off another vehicle to make mine work.
    Frank Brooks United States November 20, 2014 at 18:13
    Lots more...the slap-stick shifter, lug nuts turning backwards on the left side...
    Ron Hunter Charleston SC United States November 20, 2014 at 18:46
    I owned a 1959 Plymouth Fury Commando with swivel seats and 2 4 barrel carbs.
    Bob Phoenix November 20, 2014 at 19:01
    optional SAND boxes in front of the rear wheels on 69 Mopars up in the snow belt. If you wanted to rust out a quarter panel quick, this was the way to do it. The 57 Chrysler had swivel seats as did the 73 Monte Carlo, way ahead of the luguna Chevy. The 57 chevy had an OPTIONAL SMOKE sucker in the ash tray! And the stop light reflector on the top of dash board.
    Don Ohio November 20, 2014 at 19:14
    Chrysler had the swivel seats in 1959.
    Pete Johnson Rochester Hills Mich. November 20, 2014 at 19:27
    There's a bunch, magnatized Shot Glasses in the Cadillac Seville, Dule Rear Antenna's on Chevy's, Fold-down front seats that make up into a bed in AMC's, Radio station switch on floorboards GM, Flow-through ventilation on Fords, Vanishing tailgates on GM wagons, Reverb Radios, rain-sensing convertible tops BMW, rain-sensing power windows VW, I could go on and on
    Leo Michigan November 20, 2014 at 19:33
    I had 2 of 5 but on different cars. My 1971 Javelin AMX had the rim squeeze steering wheel and I had a 1973 Cutlass that had the swivel seat. The seats were a great feature.
    JB North Dakota November 20, 2014 at 20:04
    Chrysler products had swivel seats long before the Laguna - at the same time as the Hi-Way Hi-Fi!
    Shane havener Pembroke, Ma November 20, 2014 at 20:33
    The 61 Chrysler 300 G had swivel seats, I think some Tbirds did too. The 300 G also had push button shift and the spaceship 3D gauges and speedometer. ( 2 4bbl cross ram also)
    Mr. B Kent wa November 20, 2014 at 21:02
    When i was a kid, we had a 62 (maybe it was a 60) lol, Chrysler imperial Lebaron with the square steering wheel!
    Gord Edmonton November 20, 2014 at 21:21
    A note on the highway Hi-Fi.....this was a 1955 option on certain Chrysler vehicles that was discontinued some point during the 1957 model year. It did not play 45 rpm records, but played special 16 RPM records that were available through Chrysler dealers. This option was reincarnated in 1960 (maybe '59?) and was made by RCA Victor. This later model would indeed play 45 rpm records, but was not badged as a Highway Hi-Fi.
    Eldon Mebane NC. November 20, 2014 at 21:27
    What about the 1969-70 ModTop Mopars w/flowerdy vinyl tops & interior, pistol grip shifters & Roadrunner Beep,Beep horns????
    AZ North Georgia November 20, 2014 at 22:46
    What's so unusual about swivel seats. Plymouth had those in the late 50s. All sorts of Hurst shifters have been factory installed. 45 rpm record players were common place from Warshawsky & Co. I wonder if a rim-blow horn steering wheel still works after this many years?
    Herb West Bloomfield November 20, 2014 at 11:33
    1959 Plymouth Sport Fury had swivel seats. Crazy color combination of orange plaid with solid orange and black exterior! Convertible.
    Cal Calgary November 20, 2014 at 11:35
    That rear window defroster was great in the North, then they evolved into the heated grid things that are standard now. The 50/60's Chrysler (something or other) had the swing seat, one of my Dad's older customers had a big hardtop, we kids would run to see him get out of the car!
    Frank Wichita, Ks November 20, 2014 at 11:39
    The record players, I believe took special records. So, you could not really wear out your precious 45's. However, by the time any record was deemed popular enough to be pressed onto wax which would fit these particular players, the songs were now 'golden oldies' and the costs were stupidly expensive.
    dc Cortland NY November 20, 2014 at 11:45
    My sweet 75 Olds 442 has the swivel buckets ! nice show treat - along with the original 8 track!!
    Wayne Grey United States November 20, 2014 at 11:49
    Swivel seats were actually brought out in the 1959 Chrysler products - was standard equipment in my 1959 Plymouth Sport Fury. Also the HiWay HiFi used 16 2/3 RPM records - they were very limited so Chrysler contracted with RCA to make a 45 RPM version - had one in my Sport Fury too - Both great accesories
    Tom Cleeland, OH November 20, 2014 at 11:52
    Liquid Tire Chain was available on 69 Impala/ Caprice and would spray ice melt on the rear tires with the press of a button.
    Mark Tempe,AZ November 20, 2014 at 11:53
    auto high beam dimmer
    Steve Sacramento, CA November 20, 2014 at 11:55
    My friend in HS had a 1976 Monte Carlo with the swivel seats. I always found it odd. Yeah, it was easy to get in and out of and made the back seat more accessible, but it would have been more comfortable and just as easy to make a seat that had an adjustable back rest angle, no? The seats swiveled but were not adjustable for angle, they either fit you or they didn't.
    Kathy Illinois November 20, 2014 at 12:00
    The 1975 Chevy Laguna S3 was ahead of its time. Swivel seats should be an option in all new cars since it is so difficult for some seniors to get in and out of cars.
    Larry new york November 20, 2014 at 12:05
    My 69 lincoln Continental sedan has smoke removal vent and fan on the package deck
    Don Ainsworth United States November 20, 2014 at 12:10
    What about the swing away steering wheel? Most of these access related are still a good idea, what happened???Lawyers?
    Rick Miami November 20, 2014 at 12:15
    GM/Chevy's "Vacuum Astray" option
    George Tamaqua November 20, 2014 at 12:16
    Chy products had the swivel seat in the 50's
    Steve MD November 20, 2014 at 12:26
    How about the '63-'66 Studebaker Wagonaire, with the sliding rear roof, so you could carry a refrigerator upright in the back. I love it, but really, how many times did you ever want to carry a refrigerator upright? And this was repeated in the mid-2000s on the GMC Envoy SUV.
    Bill Iowa November 20, 2014 at 12:27
    My father had a 76 Malibu Classic with the swivel buckets. Not the best thing for a 17 year old to drive. :)
    Bob CT November 20, 2014 at 12:28
    My earliest recollection of a fantastic automotive option were the swivel seats on the 58 or 59 Plymouth Fury. As a 13 yr old kid I went on vacation with a family friend who had a brand new black Fury, 2 door with red leather swivel buckets in front. Whatta blast they were, and comfortable too.
    Brent Duryba Sask. November 20, 2014 at 12:29
    I have seen a 59' Plymouth Fury with swivel seats. We are currently restoring a 58' Buick Special which has heated front buckets.
    Mike North Carolina November 20, 2014 at 12:32
    The swivel seats were also used on the 1973 Olds Cutlass 442
    Chad Montana November 20, 2014 at 12:34
    Swivel seat were offered in the mid '60's in the Ford Thunderbird.
    ray United States November 20, 2014 at 12:40
    I had 75 Monte Carlo w/swivel seats, problem was when seat was in swivel position you couldn't close the door, so you had to swing the seat back to driving position to close door
    steve grass valley,ca. November 20, 2014 at 12:42
    chrysler corp. had swival bucket seats back in the late 50's
    Steve MT November 20, 2014 at 12:46
    Regarding Jim's comment about the rear window defroster... I have a '67 Plymouth Satellite with that option. It has a large fan under the package tray that blows through a vent as he described. Can't attest to how well it works because the car gets tucked away for winter.
    Matt Kempton PA November 20, 2014 at 12:52
    My Best friends Dad had a Monte Carlo also with the swivel seat option, this was in the 80s. Not sure how long they had the option though. Pretty neat. Worked really well.
    Bob CT November 20, 2014 at 12:57
    Bill Bethlehem, Pa. November 21, 2014 at 14:00
    My 78 Olds Grande has totally digital dash-A voice tells you the parking brake is on-key is in ignition-lights are on etc. Also has place on dash for calculator.
    Don Workman Lincoln, NE November 21, 2014 at 16:02
    One word: Reverb! My Mom's 1964 Olds 98 had it. On or off, no amount of adjustment. Turn it on, and the radio sounds like it's broadcasting from the bottom of a middle silo.
    Doug Colorado November 21, 2014 at 16:16
    We had a '56 Buick Special with the starter button under the gas petal. I won many a bet that I could start the car without the key.
    Don South Texas November 21, 2014 at 17:19
    My first car was a 1950 Studebaker Champion that came with Fender Skirts, Sun Visor (good for Texas summers) and of course it had the little prism stuck on the windshield so you could see the traffic lights. The starter button was under the clutch and a really good feature..was the "hill holder". We don't forget our "first love" huh :)
    Willis Texas November 21, 2014 at 17:21
    Shifter on the dash was a '55 Dodge option, went to push button in '56
    Art Wegweiser Allison Park, PA November 21, 2014 at 17:54
    Hill Holder on 1950's Studebakers, Keep the clutch in and it would not roll back.
    Pat SC November 21, 2014 at 18:01
    1958 Fiat Roadster - swivel seat for driver
    Roger clarence ny November 21, 2014 at 18:49
    70 GTO with the cable you pulled under the dash to bypass the muffers
    Mike. S Mi November 21, 2014 at 07:09
    The list could go on and on with this. However I will make my dad proud and say the Delco radios with built in CBs lol!!
    Chuck United States November 21, 2014 at 08:34
    I remember those swivel seats. With the increasing percentage of obese Americans, I predict they'll make a comeback.
    Zippy DC November 21, 2014 at 09:31
    Wasn't the Toronado the first with rim-blow horn, '66 or '67?
    MB Pittsburgh November 21, 2014 at 10:17
    How about a 61 Fleetwood with factory sand bags above the rear wheels. A 63 El Dorado with factory reel to reel tape player.
    pat Saint Louis November 21, 2014 at 10:52
    I remember my 70 Vette had headlight washers, just on the 69 and 70 units.
    Mike_E_V San Diego November 21, 2014 at 12:02
    My 69 Cougar XR7 convertible had rim blow horn, tilt AND swing away steering wheel. If you opened the driver's door just enough while driving, you could hear the solenoid click that kept the swing away wheel in place. I would tilt and swing the wheel simultaneously while driving. It scared my kids to death as I would tell them the steering was broken. AAHHH!
    Bob LA November 21, 2014 at 00:27
    Chrysler had the swivel seats back in the fifties and sixties cars.
    Jack WI November 22, 2014 at 16:56
    Judging by the previous comments any manufacturer offering swivel seats could expect an up-tick in sales for that feature
    Ray Hull Rensselaer, NY November 22, 2014 at 08:33
    The Mopar 45 RPM player of late 50's played records UPSIDE DOWN, so I do not believe the story about stylus wear. I installed one from parts stock in my mother's 1960 Fury; my father was a dealer. Also Chrysler first offered swivel seats in 1958 or 59 as I recall our loaded 59 Firedome had them, as did the loaded 60 Fury above. They were often disconnected, due to the severe drag the cable mechanism placed on the opening door; apparently they were not sprung or counter balanced.
    Pablo SF November 22, 2014 at 21:03
    I think the Fiat 1100 TV Trasformabile had the swivel seat when the model was first introduced in 1955.
    moontan37 Weaverville NC November 22, 2014 at 09:21
    Let us not the "Cyclops Eye " center mounted headlight which turned with the steering wheel on the 1948 Tucker. I saw an ad on television the other day where the concept was being reintroduced on I think a Mercedes.
    Cadillac Bob Rogers MN November 23, 2014 at 13:05
    1969 Caddy had horn rim honker
    Jim Moore Newburgh, Indiana November 23, 2014 at 16:27
    My Mother had a beautiful 49 Studebaker Starlight Coupe that had heaters under the front seat and a hill holder. Also mid 60's Buicks offered rear window defrosters. I've had several 65 Rivieras with this rear window option.
    Steve Henderson Hurricane, WV November 23, 2014 at 09:58
    How about the starting system on early to mid-fifties Buicks. You pushed the gas pedal to the floor to activate the starter.
    Len Trout Reno, NV November 24, 2014 at 11:42
    Still have my '75 with the Dual Gate shifter & Swivel Seats. Really?... she's ODD?
    Mike Tn. November 25, 2014 at 07:04
    If you buy a 74 or 75 Hurst Olds, you get the swivel seats AND the dual gate Hurst shifter!
    Roy Elliott Olive Branch, MS November 26, 2014 at 12:07
    Bought new 1973 El-Camino SS-454, Christmas of 72, It had 2-tone beige & brown swivel bucket seats.
    Bill Griff Union Mills, MD November 27, 2014 at 09:43
    Had a '57 Lincoln Premier that at the touch of a button would lubricate 17 chassis locations.
    Todd Williams Hereford, Az. November 30, 2014 at 09:01
    The 1956 Chevrolet hidden gas cap/filler. I once owned a 1963 Dodge 440 w/push button transmission! Both unusual......
    Vince Grosse Pointe Park December 4, 2014 at 09:00
    On the 1953 Eldorado, the front bench seat cushion would pivot forward when the backrest of the seat was pulled forward. This allowed more room for people to get into the back seat.
    Ralph Marontate Southfield, MI 48033 December 18, 2014 at 14:47
    I had a 1942 Pontiac with self emptying ash tray by using a vacuum system. Always expected power sun visors but they never were offered.
    PRA4SNW NH December 29, 2014 at 16:28
    I had a 73 Barracuda and the only option it came with was the rear shelf defogger, which really didn't help very much. I think that car also had the foot operated windshield washer. A more modern odd one: Early 90's Mazda 626 with the auto motion air vents.
    Patrick Jaegers Missouri May 7, 2015 at 17:15
    Another rare option, perhaps the rarest I've ever heard of - Ford/Mercury/Lincoln offered a soft and loud horn switch on some of their cars in 1974 that was for New York City only. Installation instructions even say, "For New York City only". Very rare!
    peter chittim Surrey B.C. Canada May 23, 2015 at 23:20
    Chrysler introduced Swivel seats in 1959 to assist ladies who where wearing PENCIL SKIRTS the fashion of the day to exit with some ease. Chrysler employee 1956 /1972
    John Grieve Sydney September 4, 2016 at 17:03
    1977 Chrysler Sigma SE, had reclining a reclining rear seat.