17 September 2014

Losses and Lessons: Cat escapes bear, but Maverick doesn’t

VEHICLE: 1971 Ford Maverick

WHAT WENT WRONG: Timing is everything, and sometimes it’s almost too much to bear – literally, as it turns out, for the owner of a 1971 Ford Maverick and a stray cat. After having the floor of his garage redone, the Ford owner was forced to leave his car outside overnight. What could happen, right? Plenty. Awakened by a loud commotion in his yard, the Maverick man discovered a bear in hot pursuit of a cat. The feline got away, but not before it led the bear on a high-speed chase across the hood of the Maverick.

DAMAGE/LOSS: Dents and deep claw gouges on the hood, cowl and right front fender resulted in a $6,400 repair bill, which Hagerty paid.

LESSON: If your babysitter canceled, you wouldn’t leave your child at home alone, you’d find another babysitter. What about applying the same rule to your classic?  To keep your car safe, about the only time you should leave it outside overnight is when you travel. If you’re planning to do some work on your home or in your garage that will require leaving your car outside, it’s always a good idea to find temporary storage. Ask a friend or family member to garage it, or consider asking the mechanic or dealership that services your daily driver if they might have a place to store it for a night or two.

B J COLORADO September 24, 2014 at 14:53
    I hear about a car owner that left gum wrappers in the console and a bear ripped the car open to get to the sweets. Oh well, glad he was insured with Hagerty.
    thom williams Durham, nc September 24, 2014 at 16:56
    In our business, we would call this a case of "Classic Car Displaced Aggression!" Way to go Fluffy about defending your neighborhood. Sorry for the loss of your 71 Maverick, we do feel for you! Thom - Animal Healings
    Larry Blyly Hartford, MI September 24, 2014 at 18:35
    Our border collie was trained to jump up on anything that we would pat our hands on. Son had just finished his 1970 Maverick. He was so proud of it, he patted the hood. That was the signal for Tippy to jump!! Couldn't blame the dog. Fortunately it did no damage.
    Wayne Utah September 24, 2014 at 18:54
    This is an interesting case of thoughtlessness, I must totally agree with the LESSON section of this article. Owners of legends should always have a back up plan in the event the vehicles designated home is not available.
    Robert Canada September 24, 2014 at 19:04
    Funny but also very sad. Good advice to find alternate storage. It would definitely cost less than $6000!!
    DBMesick Latham, NY September 24, 2014 at 22:22
    I always loved those cars and the Comet. I would Love to find one a Prostreet it. Some people don't like that idea but, I really don't care.
    Frank Wichita, Ks September 25, 2014 at 01:47
    I'd check that garage to make sure that the owner really left his Maverick out for the reasons stated. Sounds fishy to me.
    Bob Phoenix September 25, 2014 at 16:41
    I had my daily driver parked on my driveway years ago. A drunk came by and hit it and then left. He had to drive up my driveway about 1 car length to hit it. When I told my Ins. man that I thought it was unbelievable, he laughed and told me he knew of folks whose car was in their own garage and got hit after someone had penetrated their garage wall !
    Wes Edens Johnson City, TN September 25, 2014 at 19:00
    I had the rear bumper cover and left rear fender deeply clawed by an over zealous Mexican Chihuahua in hot pursuit of a Calico Cat who sought refuge on the convertible roof of my 04 Fird Thunderbird. My wife showed me the damage and my friendeho operates a Body Shop supplied the explanation for the damage. The total repair cost exceeded $2,000.00. Although the dog was legally in this country, he is no longer permitted to cross my property boundaries. The cat still hides in the bushes out in front of my garage. However he now limits his exposure to my automobiles by chasing squirrels and birds. Life is good again.
    Steve Hamilton, ON September 25, 2014 at 21:14
    Really? Like the guy figured a BEAR would be climbing on the hood of his MAVERICK while it sat in his driveway? I parked mine in the driveway once, and a UFO took it away.....ET like hot rod!
    BOB Elburn, Illinois September 26, 2014 at 08:53
    My sons 2006 Mustang GT which is his baby has to be parked on the driveway since the collector cars take all the garage space. Last spring my neighbors 3 foot tall male turkey got out and jumped on the car hood (I saw it). The feet and nails are bigger than my hand. Did over $800 dollars in damage. Neighbor said prove it was his turkey.
    Bob Marshall United States October 9, 2014 at 14:51
    Since when is a Maverick a Classic? Good cars, but not what I look at Cruise Nights
    Roger United States November 13, 2014 at 06:57
    Bob, a Maverick is just as much of a classic as any other, so you don't look at them on Cruse night, well enjoy all the cookie cutter cars there then, I'll enjoy the unique cars of the past that not many are left.