4 August 2014

Griot’s Car Care Tip: Dress your tires for success

Since cleaning wheels is more involved (and more sloppy) than dressing tires, wheels should be washed before you detail your tires.

Don’t reach for the dressing straight away; first use a rubber cleaner or prep product and a scrub brush to remove dirt, grime and any residual dressing from the tire.

Next is an optional tip that you can use to keep the rubber looking good even when the dressing wears away. Apply a product like Griot’s Garage Tire Rejuvenator as a base coat and the dressing as a finishing coat.

Dressing a tire is all about the luster. The type of dressing you use will determine the finish you get. Thick, silicon-based Long-Lasting Tire Dressing produces a nice, satin finish for a natural rubber look. If you like a glossy tire, simply apply additional coats. Vinyl & Rubber Dressing also creates a satin sheen and its added UV protection makes it great for interior plastics, trim and door seals as well as tires.

Going for big-time shine? High-Gloss Dressing has UV protection but adds a higher finishing sheen than Vinyl & Rubber Dressing.

Bottom line: Do your tire prep properly, choose your level of shine, employ these tips, and you’ll be rewarded with a pristine finish that lasts and lasts.

Click here for more from Griot’s Garage.

Rich SF Bay Area August 13, 2014 at 14:18
    What is the best product to use to keep white lettering bright and white?
    Stephen Foster United States August 13, 2014 at 16:11
    Simple. I always use simple green on white letter as well as wide whites. Its the best.
    Ruth Ann Clarke United States August 13, 2014 at 18:37
    My front wheels on my 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider have a yellow tint to them, and I have tried everything to remove it and make them shiny and silver again. Does anyone know what that is and how to get rid of it?
    Brian Vicars Markham, ON August 13, 2014 at 19:02
    Does tire dressing lead to checking cracks?
    Todd United States August 14, 2014 at 01:01
    Can Simply Green be used for Red Stripe tires as well?
    Willis Tyler,TX August 14, 2014 at 14:55
    Todd: Simple Green is great for anything on the car, properly diluted.
    Bill Thousand Oaks, CA August 14, 2014 at 19:48
    When I've owned cars with white letter or white wall tires, I used a Brillo pad. Worked like a charm and never caused any damage.
    Bill Thousand Oaks, CA August 14, 2014 at 19:48
    Dan Busch West Chester, PA August 14, 2014 at 10:31
    I have never understood why a glossy or even satin finish on a tire makes them look better. Someday some one will make a product that resembles the finish in a newly purchased tire. Shinny dash boards also seem to look cheap to me.
    Dan Busch West Chester, PA August 14, 2014 at 10:32
    Rob Trenton, Ont. August 14, 2014 at 11:21
    OK
    Newty-Newt 3rd rock from the Sun August 15, 2014 at 20:36
    Does anyone have an easy solution to remove body shop paint over spray from tires or interior? I use brillo and other cleaners and this is just too labor intensive.