8 July 2014

Detroit Area Classic Car Owners: Take a spin on us July 11!

Gas prices are nearing all-time highs this summer, and in honor of National Collector Car Appreciation Day this Friday, July 11, Hagerty Classic Cars magazine wants to help you enjoy some carefree summer cruising in your classic. We’ll be taking over a Mobil station on iconic Woodward Avenue in Birmingham, Mich., and turning it into a nostalgic 1950s-style service station from 7 to 10 a.m. on Friday. And the best part? Classic car owners can fuel up at classic prices.

Just come out in your classic car, 25 years or older, you’ll receive 10 gallons of gas at prices based on the average price per gallon from the year your car was manufactured, and we’ll cover the difference! Are you driving a 1965 Chevy Corvette? You’ll get 10 gallons for 30 cents a gallon. Bringing your 1930 Model A? Your total charge will be only $2.00.

We’re going old school with this: Cash is encouraged.

Please come out and see us on July 11 from 7 to 10 a.m. at the Mobil station at 36101 Woodward Ave. in Birmingham, Mich.

Dan Mercuri Bethpage NY July 9, 2014 at 17:17
    Great idea, love it, Dan
    TJ Brandon Ravenel, SC July 9, 2014 at 17:35
    Great idea wish I still lived in my home town for this event, but I'm now living in SC (Editor's Note: Don't worry, TJ, you'll have a chance to win a little something in honor of National Collector Car Appreciation day this Friday!)
    Deb Mickel Lakewood, NJ July 9, 2014 at 17:37
    Road Trip!
    Thomas Semaan New Baltimore, Michigan July 9, 2014 at 17:38
    I love it and it also gives me a reason to cruise to Birmingham, Mi. in my 1980 C-3 Corvette.
    Jim Larson Waterford Mi. July 9, 2014 at 17:40
    15 mile is where we start cruising Woodward Ave.!! I'll be there, as my '63 Pontiac GP gas a 25 gallon tank that's half full. Hagerty thanks in advance.
    John Hinckley Romeo, Michigan July 9, 2014 at 17:45
    I was born and raised in Birmingham, and that Mobil station was built originally as a company-owned "training station", to train new owners/franchisees on how to run a Mobil station "by the book". That was before bulletproof Lexan windows, and everyone spoke English. Great idea, Hagerty! :-)
    Sharon Mummey Newark,Ohio July 9, 2014 at 18:10
    Come to Ohio,My husband has a carshow and pararde in Dublin ,Ohio.There is a car for each year of mustangs 50 yrs.My husbands is a 1972 mach1. 351Ho Cleveland engine. Talk about needing gas!!
    john pinner shirley ny 11967 July 9, 2014 at 18:13
    this sounds so good to be true mr hagerty great thing your doing makes me proud to be american thanks so much for caring so much for us guys that love muscle cars
    SANDRA TOUCHATT E. PALO ALTO, CALIFORNIA July 9, 2014 at 18:22
    THIS IS A GREAT IDEA, TO BAD WE ARE IN CALIFORNIA.SANDY (Editor's Note: Stay tuned, Sandy! We've got a contest planned that we'll announce this Friday.)
    Jerry Drenzek Macomb July 9, 2014 at 18:41
    Nice idea but I'm imagining a long line of overheating classic cars waiting for their turn at the pump.....Why not just raffle off some Gas Cards...??? Editor's Note: Thanks for the suggestion, Jerry! Based on your comment, I'm thinking you may be interested in the contest we're announcing on Friday ;)
    Damian Czaplinski York PA July 9, 2014 at 19:24
    That's a great Idea now only if Obama would do the right thing we would be in good shape. I drive a 68 Dodge Dart I was only 2 at that time so I don't what gas would have bin. I know it was better that $3.69 and it had lead. Not Corn !
    James A Waller Fayville NC 28311 July 9, 2014 at 19:31
    That's a great ideal so when are you coming to Fay, NC, 28311 please let me know I have a 1938 chevy business coupe and it only use high test. Editor's note: We've got a special national contest coming this Friday, James. Stay tuned!
    Larry Mickelsen Penn Yan, N Y July 9, 2014 at 19:32
    What an awesome deal and idea.
    Keith Moore Traverse City July 9, 2014 at 19:35
    Great idea! How about doing that in our hometown? Especially since your home office is located in TC!! And after our long winter.
    STEVE HELLER NEW YORK CITY July 9, 2014 at 19:36
    Great idea, please come to New York next time, I have a 1927 Chrysler!!!I think it was 10 gallons for s buck!
    John Seifert Howell, MI July 9, 2014 at 19:50
    Nice idea, but maybe you should call it National Retirees with Classics Appreciation Day. Normal people have to work between 7 & 10 am Friday. It would be much more appropriate to do this between 7 & 10 PM for people who actually cruise Woodward.
    Martin Rose W. Bloomfield. Mi July 9, 2014 at 19:54
    It figures. I just filled up. Timing is everything.
    Carl H Sunny California July 9, 2014 at 20:05
    Let us SoCal classic owners know when you will be doing this in SoCal great idea
    Richard Oliphant Portland, Or July 9, 2014 at 20:32
    Darn, to far to drive.
    Robert Stiltnerrs Myrtle Beach,SC July 9, 2014 at 20:40
    Ditto What a great deal. Robert
    Gerry Neil Lambton Shores, Ontario, Canada July 9, 2014 at 21:21
    l'd love to be there, around higher level people that really appreciate a classic car. Pure genius offering this wonderful event. Thank you. G. Neil
    Abel macias United States July 9, 2014 at 21:55
    It's great idea
    Rita Newton Kansas July 9, 2014 at 22:45
    I got a 1949 olds with the olds rocket engine, automatic transmission,and want to sell it for $6500.
    Douglas A Thompson Royal Oak July 9, 2014 at 22:57
    Outstanding way to celebrate Collector Car Appreciation Day!! Hagerty is the best!!!
    T.S. Roseville July 10, 2014 at 13:19
    My 88 GTA drinks premium, That'll be a Good Deal, Thanks.
    Daniel Barcutian Birmingham Michigan July 10, 2014 at 13:45
    "Just come out in your classic car, 25 years or older, you’ll receive 10 gallons of gas at prices based on the year of your car, and we’ll cover the difference! Are you driving a 1965 Chevy Corvette? You’ll get 10 gallons for 30 cents a gallon. Bringing your 1930 Model A? Your total charge will be only $2.00." You mean, $3.00...30 cents a gallon x 10...is not $2.00 ;) Editor's Note: Good point, Dan! But it's actually based on the average price of a gallon of gas from the year your car was manufactured. So, if the price in 1930 was $0.20/gallon, you'd pay $2.00. We're updating the website language to clarify.
    james spalding Toledo Ohio July 10, 2014 at 14:09
    This would be a cruise worth driving for. Hagerty is stepping up on this. Gonna be great.
    Nick Gabriel Taylor, MI July 10, 2014 at 14:19
    Now all we need is the original Teds and the Totem Pole.
    Peggy United States July 10, 2014 at 14:34
    Still driving my '65 Stingray that I drove in high school. (Daddy took it away from me for over thirty years. Tee Hee!) Unfortunately, I don't live near Birmingham, Michigan. Nonetheless, your promotion sounds awesome!
    Michael Noblesville, IN. July 10, 2014 at 14:59
    Not super far away, but have to work tom. afternoon, no way I could drive up and back before My '77 Cutlass & I went to work.
    charlie new york July 10, 2014 at 03:14
    too bad it can be a national day of appreciation!
    Ken Barton poconos pa July 10, 2014 at 15:20
    Your crew is the best ps the great race was awesome
    Daniel Barcutian Birmingham, MI July 10, 2014 at 15:41
    I wish I still had my 71. This would've been a GREAT photo shoot for it! I just sold it last month after 6 years. :( But the new owner uses Hagerty from my referral, so all good! Thanks for doing this event, I'll be back into a classic sometime and back up to TC for the car show [missed this years too]! Nice to see the support.
    Scott Baldwin Mi. July 10, 2014 at 16:04
    Great idea but cant drive 4 hours for 10 gal. of gas, but i would drive to TC.
    Paul Durbin Roscommon, MI July 10, 2014 at 16:10
    Wish I could be there with my '66 Mustang. I was with MDOT in 1968 helping to survey Woodward from 5 to 13 Mile.
    Steve Hornback Ann Arbor Michigan July 10, 2014 at 16:38
    Saturday is better I have to work on Friday
    Marge Schwartz Celina, Ohio July 10, 2014 at 04:53
    How fun! Wish we could be there.
    charles winkle lynnwood wa July 10, 2014 at 18:03
    I drive a fully restored 1946 hot rod pu it has a 350 motor and a 350 Trans of the 7.5 policy
    Bob Detroit Area July 10, 2014 at 06:45
    Thanks, for the Appreciation day but for the people who have to work this doesn't help. There will only be a few hundred that will be able to participate in this event. Cheers, Bob
    Jim west Texas July 10, 2014 at 19:01
    What is there to discuss ? Sounds GREAT !!!!!!!!!
    Dave Chase Puyallup WA. July 10, 2014 at 07:12
    WOW How COOL is that. Let do that In Puyallup. :)
    Bob Del ZIO Long Island N.Y. July 10, 2014 at 07:16
    outstanding idea, a company with class.
    Steve Hamilton, ON. July 10, 2014 at 08:41
    Wish you would do this up in Canada, eh. You should encourage people to bring a non-perishable item for the food banks. Editor's Note: What a great suggestion, Steve! We will keep that in mind for next time.
    Paul Imerman Huntington Woods,Mi July 10, 2014 at 08:45
    I will be there. Thanks. HAGERTY is the BEST.
    Jeff L G R MI July 10, 2014 at 08:56
    good idea, but got to work.... so I can afford the high price of gas
    Dave Suttons Bay July 10, 2014 at 09:11
    Cool, Woodward and Oak St., my old stomping grounds. Use Google streetview and see famous car designer Bill Mitchell's old offices... ask me how I know. Corvette Stingray, first Camaro, head of Cadillac design... he picked me up hitchhiking on Southfield one day in his 300SL Gullwing. A great guy who shared his love of cars with a young man. Very cool. This should be some fun.
    Isaaileen Rankin Inman, SC July 10, 2014 at 09:18
    Wish we could be there in our Red Corvette convertible.
    Joe Saba Hollywood florida July 10, 2014 at 09:30
    What a great idea. That is why I keep recomending Hagerty. Originaly from Detroit. I wish I could bring my C3 Vette home for a Drink of that High octane juice that my car loves so much. Keep up the good work.
    Denny Toth Mentor, Ohio July 10, 2014 at 21:31
    Awesome gift. Hagerty does it right! Wish I could be there with my '71 351c powered Maverick Grabber! To cruise Woodward would be the bomb especially with gas that is affordable :)
    J Driscoll Detroit July 10, 2014 at 09:34
    Can't wait. Thank you
    Nelson Duarte San Fernando Valley, California July 10, 2014 at 09:59
    Choice Idea ! Hows bout California? You guys are the BEST!
    Jim Jeffries Rochester Hills, MI July 10, 2014 at 10:08
    This will be fun. I'll be there to fuel up my 1954 Chevy Suburban Carryall and then cruise down to the Red Coat Tavern for the best berger on Woodward.
    Christina Alberta July 10, 2014 at 10:41
    What a great idea... You should do it in Canada too!
    Herb West Bloomfield July 10, 2014 at 11:02
    If I can get up that early I will be there in my 1985 300zx. Great Idea.
    barb PA July 10, 2014 at 00:07
    For once I wish I lived near Detroit!
    roger bonneau royal oak 5681 July 10, 2014 at 12:09
    raised in berkley . remember it well as a training station.ill be there in the morning for 1964 prices. my little t bolt likes premium.
    Norayr Hakobyan North Hollywood-CA July 11, 2014 at 13:09
    Hagerty rocks. This is a magnificent idea. My best wishes to Hagerty and lucky participants of this amazing event. Norayr Hakobyan Humble owner of a 1978 Porsche 924.
    Joe Stinnett Birmingham July 11, 2014 at 09:36
    The line wasn't that long (maybe 15-20 minutes at just after 8am). There was plenty of entertainment and free doughnuts! Not to mention a bunch of cool cars. Top work Hagerty. I enjoyed the event even though my classic Peugeot only took 4 gallons ($3.60!) :)
    Scott saline July 11, 2014 at 09:53
    My 78 year old father just got back from filling up his 71 plum crazy challenger convertible there. He had a blast and said the wait wasn't bad at all. Nice job Hagerty! That extra $$$ will come in handy when we send in the renewal this week!
    Gary Warren MI July 11, 2014 at 10:11
    This was a great event and very organized. My dad and I got gas for a great price and had a great time. Thank you Hagerty
    Paul Bowsher Saint clair shores July 11, 2014 at 11:33
    What a deal ! Too bad I only have two days off, I would love some of that 1952 ETHYL GASOLINE. And I am sure it will take two days to reach the pumps.
    Larry Northup Bethesda, MD July 11, 2014 at 11:50
    My 1943 Willys Jeep was manufactured during the war, when gas was severely rationed. Does that mean I'd pay nothing? That might almost be worth the trip to Detroit!
    Mark Stevens Brighton, mi July 11, 2014 at 11:54
    There were a dozen friendly pretty ladies there filling you up with full service premium. They were dressed like 1930's gas attendants. $3.50! Thanks a lot Hagarty, hope you do this again.
    Loren Moore Dearborn July 11, 2014 at 00:33
    I wouldn't get in a long line if you paid me!
    jack Dowler Parkersburg W V A July 18, 2014 at 20:49
    BOY HOW NICE THIS WOULD BE IN OUR TOWN. TAKE TALLY OF HOW MANY CUSTOMERS YOU HAVE IN OUR LITTLE TOWN YOU MAY WANT TO CONIDER LOL VERRY AWESOME AND I KNOW THE FINE FOLKS GETTING WILL APPRECIATE IT . I KNOW MY MY OLD 72 CHEVY AND MY 64 CHEVY WOULD DRINK IT RITE UP .
    C Metro Detroit June 3, 2015 at 07:37
    What a great event! Any plans for 2015?