2 July 2014

Video: Up, up and away in a Breitling stunt plane

Hagerty Editorial and Digital Media Manager Claire Walters has earned the nickname "ClaireDevil" around the office, due to her willingness to volunteer for some of our more daring story ideas. For her "Breit Skies" story in the summer issue of Hagerty Classic Cars magazine, Claire went up in a Breitling stunt plane. You'll have to watch the video to see whether her lunch stayed down.

RICHARD SIMAK New York July 23, 2014 at 13:42
    WAY TO GO CLAIRE
    Jack Smittle Westerville, Ohio July 23, 2014 at 14:02
    From the sun kissed golf course, site of the 19th Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance, I watched with great interest the flight of the Brietling stunt plane through the clear blue skies overhead and thought what a thrill that would be. But I was already experiencing the thrill of my 80 + year lifetime right here on the ground. I was displaying the 1946 MG TC S-Type that I had designed and built with 324 other fabulous vehicles in this glorious setting. Crowds of spectators milled around our vehicle as son David and I; dressed in our white coveralls, leather helments and goggles, explained how we had built this car and how honored we were to be invited to such a prestigious concours. Thrills come in various ways and our thanks to Bill Warner and his crew, who invited us to participate in this concours, thus giving us a never to be forgotten thrilling experience.
    Gerald Meagher Macomb, MI July 23, 2014 at 14:28
    Shouldn't call it a stunt plane. I t' a highly maneuverable, high performance aerobatic airplane. And Dave is a precision aerobatic pilot, not a stunt pilot. Just so you know
    A.J. Columbus, Ohio July 23, 2014 at 22:58
    Good on ya, Claire! Flying and driving are both wonderful pursuits. And being a pilot makes you a better driver, truth be told.
    Dave McKinnon Chelsea, Mi July 23, 2014 at 11:03
    Maybe I am being a bit picky, but the proper term is "aerobatic aircraft" not a "stunt plane".
    Larry Eakin New Mexico July 24, 2014 at 01:21
    I can only imagine what the experience was like in the stunt plane. I had the opportunity to ride in a glider and it is one of the most awesome things I have ever done! Would love to do the stunt place thing too. Thanks for sharing. Larry
    Constantine Montclair New Jersey July 24, 2014 at 06:12
    great stuff
    Bill Taylor Cincinnati July 24, 2014 at 20:19
    I think we saw you are Amelia Is. Will you be at Concours of America ? If so I would love to ride if possible. Bill
    Don Wirick Crown Point, Indiana July 30, 2014 at 20:21
    Everyone should read the article as well. Great stuff! Had my laughing out loud.