1 July 2014

You're invited to free seminars about unrestored cars

Please join us on Saturday, July 26, at The Inn at St. John’s in Plymouth Township, Mich., for two seminars in which our experts will give you an insider’s look at unrestored cars in the marketplace and what to do with them. Space is limited; click here to reserve your spot.

Can’t make it in person? We invite you to watch online at the times below. Click here for Unrestored Cars in the Marketplace; click here for Preserve It vs. Restore It.

Unrestored Cars in the Marketplace, 9 a.m.-10:30 a.m.

Dave Kinney, Publisher of the Hagerty Price Guide; Donald Osborne, appraiser, automotive journalist and television personality; Alain Squindo, Vice President of RM Auctions; and Keith Martin, Publisher of Sports Car Market will discuss how to assign values to unrestored cars, and look at the difference between barn finds, old restorations and true preservation class cars when determining what’s worth a premium and why. Moderated by Adam Martin, Vice President of The Hagerty Institute for Collector Vehicles.

Preserve It vs. Restore It, 10:30 a.m.-12 p.m.

A panel of three expert restorers and three staunch preservationists look at an unrestored car and share with the audience their opinions about what to do with it — do it all, do nothing, or something in between. This highly interactive seminar will feature a very opinionated panel consisting of preservationists David Burroughs, Mark Gessler and Malcolm Collum; restorers Werner Meier and Brian Joseph; and detailer Tim McNair, and the audience will be invited to join with questions or comments at any point. Moderated by Hagerty Classic Cars magazine Executive Editor Jonathan A. Stein.

The Inn at St. John’s
Galilee Room
44045 5 Mile Road
Plymouth Township, MI 48170

Greg Cockerill Rochester Hills MI July 8, 2014 at 13:12
    Please reserve my spot at both seminars.
    Franz Esterreicher Rochester Hills, MI July 8, 2014 at 13:59
    I've been a 1963 Corvette Z-06 and C1 big tank/brake researcher/historian/collector for years. Written numerous articles on the subject. Interested in your panels “Preservation vs Restoration” observations and how they arrived at their conclusions. Mickey Thompson’s Silver production Z-06 is the cornerstone of the collection (1963 Daytona Second Continental Race 2/17/63 ran third until the engine was destroyed on the 43rd lap, Billy Krause was the driver. You may recall he was Shelby’s development driver for the Cobra), very cool car!!!
    Jim Budny Grosse Ile, MI July 8, 2014 at 15:39
    I have a 1965 corvette which I am debating what to do with it. Leave as is or restore?
    Brian Nelson Suttons Bay, MI July 8, 2014 at 17:17
    Will the seminars be available for viewing after July 26? I will not be able to attend or record at that time, but am keenly interested in the discussion. I am the owner of a 1968 Firebird convertible which is virtually all original (usual age-related maintenance items have been replaced) and I'm looking for direction for the future of this car.
    tom calvey kalamazoo July 8, 2014 at 11:17
    Can you make these available for purchase on DVD???114
    gord luxton wallaceburg July 9, 2014 at 14:12
    I am unable to attend but would like a dvd on both subjects if available. Thanks Gord
    Angel C Dearborn Heights MI July 9, 2014 at 19:13
    Would love to check this out but after all the hard work getting my car ready I can't see missing another Telegraph Cruise (same day) maybe next time
    Fabrizio Pesce livonia MI July 9, 2014 at 10:38
    Not able to attend ...however I am very interested on the subject ...I am an advocate of preservation, I have a 1977 Ferrari and I am stuck in between the subject of " Should I ...or... should I NOT"? ...if I do ...and...if I don't, how much will effect the value of the car?...and how much the restoration cost will impact the ROI?...Is a DVD or other material available from the seminar? Thanks F.P.
    Rick Troy July 11, 2014 at 15:59
    If at all possible - as others have mentioned - could I also receive a DVD on this discussion as I'm in the middle of deciding restore or preserve
    Terry Drosz Lake Angelus, MI July 12, 2014 at 21:38
    I'll be there!! TD
    KEITH A SPARKS vermont July 14, 2014 at 22:03
    great if dvd were available but regardless will try..i have a 23 project that is a driver but must address the surface rust thus doubt i can leave unrestored.
    Bob Koch Coopersville, Mi. July 15, 2014 at 09:40
    I cannot attend that day, but am very interested in the subject and would purchase a DVD. I have an original 34 Ford 5 W and debating what I should do with it. I am only the 3rd owner.
    Roland Weller Columbus Ohio July 23, 2014 at 14:12
    I have a 1973 Continental Mark 4 that is pretty much original with 22K miles. It has been painted once after it sat under a tree for a long time. Trying to decide if I should do touch up or have it all repainted again. Cant be around for the seminar. Will I be able to watch it later or on another day?
    Terry Calgary July 26, 2014 at 08:55
    Looking forward to this. I have an 80% rust free original worn & dull paint 58 Rolls Royce. The rest of the car has wonderful original patina just the paint brings the car down. Would a respray make the car worth more or less?
    John Forshee United States September 21, 2014 at 20:02