3 June 2014

Five Classic Cars That Can Save Your Marriage

Can a great car repair your relationship or, better yet, save it? It’s possible, if you buy a car that fits your personality. We’re here to help, with five collector cars that set the mood and can help restore the romance in your relationship.

1932 Ford V-8 Coupe
It’s well known that outlaws Clyde Barrow and Bonnie Parker preferred Ford V-8s, America’s first V-8 engine in an affordably priced car. And while we don’t suggest robbing banks, you can indulge in something just slightly wicked. Or, opt for a later vision of waywardness; dress up as a rebellious teen and hop in your little deuce coupe and cruise your favorite nearby pokey parkway. Sometimes, it just feels good to be bad.

1957 Chevrolet Bel Air
It seems that Tri-five Chevys are about as plentiful as a McDonald’s hamburger. But if the fabulous ’50s were your era, it’s hard to argue with this rolling jukebox, with its timeless look and powerful small-bock V-8. And while any number of finned ’50s cars would suffice, this most iconic of Eisenhower-era Chevys is possibly the best car to take to the drive-in and recreate that first date. The best part? You don’t have to be home by 11 p.m.

1963 Aston Martin DB5
She’s in a beautiful gown; you’re in an elegant tuxedo. You climb into the car and head to a posh retreat for dinner and a romantic evening. Such a scenario is easy to imagine in the DB5, the car most closely associated with Agent 007, one sure to shake and stir you both. It debuted in “Goldfinger,” but reappeared in “Thunderball,” “Goldeneye,” “Tomorrow Never Dies” and “Casino Royale.” Just make sure your loved one doesn’t inadvertently hit the ejector seat button.

1967 Volkswagen Microbus
What better backdrop for the Summer of Love? With 42 horsepower, an air-cooled engine and odd driving position, you’ll remember how, er, “altered” you may have had to be to appreciate this ride. Nevertheless, its leisurely pace allows you to recall that summer 47 years ago, when you both were young and most likely wearing something tie-dyed.

1977 Pontiac Trans Am
The four-wheeled star of the film “Smokey and the Bandit” is better remembered than the acting of Burt Reynolds, Sally Field and Jackie Gleason. A triumph of style over speed, the Trans Am seemed as self-indulgent as the ’70s. And its gold Screaming Chicken hood decal was as tasteful as the era’s clothing. But if you had one, or wished that you did, few cars will take you back to the era of stagflation like this one. But be advised: a Foghat eight-track tape is not included.

Mike AuClair Rancho Mirage CA June 4, 2014 at 13:38
    My wife and I have been married 86 years but only 13 to each other. Our first spouses died. For my wedding present 13 years ago Carol gave me a 1957 Belair convertible with the 283 HP fuel injected engine. Car was restored in 1990 and now has 228 miles since resto. Not many trips to the drivein but it sure is fun to look at and so is she!
    Mike Larson illinois June 4, 2014 at 15:23
    Good choices. If Aston Martin is in the group, why is there never a mention in any articles of the coolest car ever--Excalibur Series III and IV especially. Rides beautiful, a pleasure to drive, and reasonably priced for a hand built collector car.Also easy to repair and can get parts from Milwaukee.
    Carl NH June 4, 2014 at 16:01
    While I met my future wife in a 57 Chevy Bel Air V8 ragtop she would much prefer the Matador Red 63 Impala SS 327 300 hp ragtop that replaced it. We covered coast to coast and top to bottom with never an on the road problem
    Dan Seymour Kamloops B.C. Canada June 4, 2014 at 17:51
    Enjoy your news letter My classic is 1978 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz with 60,000 miles would like to see a few Cadillac in the news thanks and have a great day
    Richard Simonds California June 4, 2014 at 19:05
    Great suggestions, but...you missed the 1963-1971 Mercedes-Benz Pagodas that were convertibles AND coupes (in case my lady didn't want her "do" messed up. The convertible top went up and down in about a minute or the hardtop could be put on to make it as solid as any fixed-head coupe. Pitter-patter, my heart is beating faster just thinking about an evening ride with the top down.
    Rodney Lawley Clovis, Ca June 4, 2014 at 19:48
    57 Chev conv
    Marc Nor-Cal June 4, 2014 at 23:52
    Well 2 outa three ain't bad. What about the iconic 1956 Ford F-100 or a mid year corvette even a 55-57 T-Bird well to each their own that's what makes this sport so great!
    Art Wegweiser Allison Park, PA June 5, 2014 at 15:34
    I have a photo of my car (1972 BMW 3.0 CSi) on a billboard which says: "For when you can't get laid on your looks and charm alone." It works! Two good marriages and miscellaneous relationships.
    Kim Las Vegas, NV June 5, 2014 at 16:29
    1970 Bug Convertible - why?- because when ever I drive it I am 17 years old again. When we are 70 (not that far away) WE plan on driving it up and down the Strip like two old crazy people who lived thru the 60's!
    Larry C Orlando June 5, 2014 at 20:34
    I bought my first car the day I graduated from high school. A 1968 Chevelle - 327 4 speed. I sold it for the down payment on my first house. Now after 44 years of marriage and successfully raising three children my son just presented me with a completely restored twin of my original. It has brought back so many great memories. My wife and I haven't been to a drive in yet but I did steal a kiss the first night we had it out. Loved your article!
    Tom Madison WI June 5, 2014 at 09:51
    Hmmm.............I was batting two for two on your top five with a Deuce and a 57 Chevrolet............but then I fell off the wagon. A 77 Firebird........really. Maube I had better take another look.
    Bobby Bluegrass June 5, 2014 at 09:59
    What? ALL of these cars would end a marriage faster than saving one. "You spend too much time in the garage" !!!.
    Wynemac Woodcock Buffalo, IN June 5, 2014 at 12:03
    Having owned a '55 and '58 BelAir hardtop and currently a '61Corvette, my favorite car to own would be the '57 convertible. You just can't beat that look.
    Scott St.Albert June 5, 2014 at 12:38
    Greetings, I need to share a true story. When my wife was pregnant with our 1st daughter, I thought I would definitely need to sell Bullitt. (Classic Mustang Fastback Tribute Car) it's time to part with it, not really practical for a car seat;) honesty my lovely wife said to me: "you can't sell your car" 'After she said that I knew she was going be around for the long haul;) Definitely a lifetime keeper.. (or perhaps she was just tired of my whining) Blissfully married 10 years! -Scott
    Bill Northern virginia June 10, 2014 at 06:20
    I'm partial to the 1973 Baywindow Bus. 50% more horsepower and it has a bed in the back. Makes me feel young and alive again. The VW croud is the nicest people around.
    Mike Immekus West Allis, Wi. June 11, 2014 at 07:49
    ours is a 1971 Chevy pick up C20 it has a three on the tree, that allows her to slide over and snuggle up to me.
    Doug G South Bend, IN June 20, 2014 at 09:04
    Great choices! Of all my cars, GTO is the wife's favorite.