15 May 2014

Five Of The Best-Looking Cars Ever By Category

There’s nothing more subjective than the looks of a car. Choose your cliché— “Nobody’s baby is ugly” and “beauty is in the eye of the beholder” there’s an element of truth to all of them and it’s tricky territory to wade into. This list isn’t meant to be the be all end all, just the highly subjective opinions of one writer on a Friday afternoon. We’d like it to spark a broader discussion, so tell us what your favorites are in these categories and why?

1. Muscle Car — 1970-71 Pontiac Firebird Formula: This one is likely to generate a fair bit of controversy — with so many fantastic muscle cars to choose from, picking just one is impossible. First and second generation Camaros, nearly any Chevelle, E-body Mopar cars, Cougar Eliminators, AMC’s Javelin, Boss 302s, GTOs all have stellar looks. But we’re drawn to the second generation Firebird — specifically the 455 Formula. Yeah, we know that the T/A was the top of the heap performance-wise, but its looks veer just a little bit over-the-top for some. The Formula, on the other hand, with its twin hood scoops, looks just right from every angle to most eyes. It might just be one of the prettiest American cars ever.
  2. Sports Car (coupe) — 1962-64 Ferrari 250GTO: The 250 GTO is less of a car and more of a perfectly harmonious amalgam of every cool styling device available to someone designing a car in the early 1960s. From the strategically placed curves, Borrani wire wheels, glass-covered headlights and multiple vents and air scoops, to the fastback roofline that ends in an abrupt Kamm-style tail with the faintest hint of a ducktail spoiler, the 250 GTO is drop-dead gorgeous from every angle. It’s no wonder that to buy one of the 39 originals, you’re looking at $50 million or more. Yep, that’s right — fifty, 5-0.
  3. Sports Car (convertible) — 1961-67 Jaguar E-Type: As legend goes, the E-Type was so pretty that it made Enzo Ferrari weep when he saw it for the first time in Geneva in 1961. That’s saying a lot, given the fact that it was rare for Enzo to fog his Ray-Bans even when one of his drivers bought it on the track while racing for Scuderia Ferrari. The first series of the E-Type was the purest, with covered headlights and tiny tail lamps above the rear bumpers. The Museum of Modern Art has deemed the E-Type to be rolling sculpture. That’s good enough for us.
  4. Station Wagon — 1955-57 Chevrolet Nomad: It’s tough to make a really pretty station wagon, but Chevy created one for the ages with the two-door Nomad wagon. We have no desire to wade into the ’55 vs. ’57 debate. All three years of the “tri-five” Nomad are gorgeous.
  5. American Four Door Sedan — 1961-63 Lincoln Continental: In addition to being one of the prettiest, the ’61 Continental may be the coolest sedan of all time. Oozing with “Mad Men” and rat pack swagger and “suicide” doors that open opposite to each other, the car still shows up with regularity in movies and TV shows whenever something over-the-top cool is required. We like the first few model years, with the “electric shaver foil” grille.

Tony Rinaldi Philadelphia, PA May 21, 2014 at 13:16
    Virgil Exner's 1960 Chrysler 300-F needs to be pretty far up on the list.
    Glenn Donahue NJ May 21, 2014 at 13:19
    1969 Pontiac Trans Am Convertible. The hottest Ragtop of the Muscle Car era!
    David Florida May 21, 2014 at 13:21
    Aurelia Spider America - bests the E-type IMHO. A curvy svelte Italian vs a slender taught Brit. Both beauties of a different form.
    John NNJ May 21, 2014 at 13:25
    Hey! Where's my Carmen Red '67 E-Type S1!? Oh, wait a minute. Thanks,
    Beva Newtown CT May 21, 2014 at 13:25
    My favorite was and still is the 1970 Dodge Challenger T/A. I think you had the right pick with T/A, just the wrong model. That is Dodge and not Pontiac.
    kyvetteman Mt. Juliet, TN May 21, 2014 at 13:27
    Can't really disagree with any on your list, but there are so many to choose from. Going back a bit; the 1932 and 1940 Fords are on my personal list, as are the 1961 Corvette and 1934-7 Chrysler Airflow.
    Jeff Roessler San Clemente, CA May 21, 2014 at 13:28
    In general, I agree with your choices but somehow you have to add the C2 Corvette and, while its a bit crude compared to the current version, the Series 2 Viper (66.5 to 02) is beautiful in its own right.
    Douglas Brandrup CT., USA May 21, 2014 at 13:32
    My vote would be the 1983-87 Lotus Turbo Espirt (James Bond model).
    Greg Childs Surprise, AZ May 21, 2014 at 13:33
    This one might not be well-received by most classic aficionados, but to me, the most beautiful car ever designed is the 1965 Nissan Silvia, a hand-built, limited production classic penned by Goertz.
    Tjyak50 Phoenix, AZ May 21, 2014 at 13:35
    Weak...
    Dennis Weglarz Michigan May 21, 2014 at 13:36
    1. E-Type 2. Maserati Ghibli 3. 1966 Oldsmobile Toronado 4. Ferrari 330 P4 5. Lambroghini Miura
    Danny Ohio May 21, 2014 at 13:39
    I think the 69 Z-28 and the 70 SS Chevelle should be near the top. And the 55 Chevy should be in there somewhere!
    Jim Larson Waterford Mi. May 21, 2014 at 13:41
    What about the 1963 Pontiac Grand Prix!!! This was a very stylish design, con-cave rear window, front turn signal/driving lights, rear tail lights are built in the rear chrome trim. This model also came with bucket seats/console, 389-4 bbl., dual exhaust helping this model make it's mark.
    John S. Harvey Sandy, Utah May 21, 2014 at 13:41
    1935 Auburn 851 Speedster
    Gerald McGlothin Tempe AZ May 21, 2014 at 13:42
    Gerald McGlothin Tempe AZ May 21, 2014 at 13:45
    Gerald McGlothin Tempe AZ May 21, 2014 at 13:47
    I have a 1967 Intermeccanica Italia Torino coupe (38 made) that has undergone a (steel) body smoothing and a Spyder Conversion to a roadster that is a knockout.By the way the Jaguar Series 1 Coupe ,not the roadster, Made Enzo weep.I have two of those.The only question is which car is Number 2.
    6570Pontiac eastern PA May 21, 2014 at 13:52
    Seriously - why would anyone make a list like this without getting a second opinion. Did Mr Sass' editor aprove? Its like naming the 5 most beautiful women of all time. Hmmmm, lets see, in THIS writers opinion, My Mom, My grandmother, my two daughters and my wife... oops, not necessary in that order... sorry Honey - Love you!
    Brent United States May 21, 2014 at 13:52
    The 1961 Impala "bubble top." It's gorgeous from any angle. Bonus points for the SS 409.
    Jeff West Chester Pa May 21, 2014 at 13:56
    The Ferrari 250GTO is on the list - no question. The Firebird Formula is questionalbe. The 69 Camaro RS/SS should be on the list and is similar to the Ferrari in that it does not have a bad angle or a sigle thing out of proportion. I think the E-Type Jag on the other hand is way out of proportion with a hood too long and a trunk too short. And people praise it because everyone else does. The automotive equavilent of modern art.
    Joe United States May 21, 2014 at 13:58
    35 Auburn, 48 Tucker, 57 Thunderbird
    james newman NY May 21, 2014 at 14:01
    1963 split window corvette not even close
    Alan Detrick Salem, Or. May 21, 2014 at 14:07
    1963-65 Buick Riveria
    Wayne Pursh Pittsburgh May 21, 2014 at 14:14
    I'm thinking these five were chosen simply to generate comments and controversy because none of these, by category, would make my top ten.
    6570Pontiac eastern PA May 21, 2014 at 14:20
    Martin Sampson Austin TX May 21, 2014 at 14:21
    Nice, but you really need a picture of the classic 1940 Ford Deluxe coupe. I would be glad to supply you with one.
    Tom solon, ohio May 21, 2014 at 14:25
    I think time has been kind to the early Mazda RX-7's - a very pretty car. Although we also own a series 1 E -type coupe ( easily as pretty as the convertible ) I find the series 3 E-type convertible to be very pretty as well.
    Andy Reid Collinsville, CT May 21, 2014 at 14:26
    I like the list Rob. My top 5 are: 1. Muscle Car- 1965-1966 Mustang Fastback: Amazing styling! Just a truly great automotive design. 2. Sports Car(Coupe) - Dino 246 GT: Possibly the most stunning sports car design ever. Not a bad element to the car. 3. Sports Car(convertible) - Ferrari 250: To me it does not matter if it is a PF cab or a California, here cars are awe inspiring/ 4. Touring Car (I hate wagons) - Bentley Continental Fastback: My other choice for the award for the most beautiful car ever. 5. American 4 door sedan - 61-63 Lincoln Continental: For all the resins listed in the article. A great American design icon.
    Flyer Nevada May 21, 2014 at 14:26
    where is the 356 Porsche, the Karmann Ghia, the Chevelle, Early 60's Caddy.... Yeah maybe I just like my cars more rounded, nice gentle lines.
    Richard Carlson Alexandria, Mn May 21, 2014 at 14:27
    I would have to vote for the 1969 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe
    david reynolds Ca May 21, 2014 at 14:28
    Any 68'/69 GTO or 70-73 formula & T/A or 67/68 400 Firebird are just simply the best!!
    Scott Mikkelson Sacramento, CA May 21, 2014 at 14:28
    one glaring omission-------56-57 Continental mark II stunningly beautiful design that is just as striking today as when introducted
    Kim Cronin Traverse City Mi. May 21, 2014 at 16:26
    1968-73 Opel GT a Great looking car, just a bit under power by todays sports car standards. Here in America the Opel's are mostly a forgotten foreign import that Buick once tried for 5 years back in the 60's. the man That designed the GT, Clare MacKichan had a hand in the 55 Chevrolets, the Corvair and Camaro so some of the best aspects of other GM Cars were brought in making it look sweet from every angle!
    Gordon Brown Bartlesville, OK May 21, 2014 at 16:30
    Throw in a '64 Buick Riveria and the list will be complete!
    Bill Florida May 21, 2014 at 16:31
    Irocz convertible is my favorite of all!!
    Rob Howard Clarksville, TN May 21, 2014 at 16:32
    Agree with the Pontiac Firebird for the Muscle Car, although I strongly prefer the Trans Am to the Formula - the front 'chin strap', fender flares and deck spoilers make it A-1. The big bird isn't too much - can you get 'too much' on a Muscle Car??? Also agree with the station wagons.
    bill wilken LaPine, Oregon May 21, 2014 at 16:34
    I agree with all the choices except the Pontiac, would rather see a early Shelby mustang gt350..but all are good choices in the early days of real cars.
    Kevin San Diego, Ca May 21, 2014 at 16:34
    Gen 1 Riviera c2 Corvettes 69' camaro 29' Packard Convertible
    Greg Thomas Ohio May 21, 2014 at 16:36
    I would pick an older car for the American sedan. Although the Lincoln is nice it can't compare to Gordon Buehrig's original 4 door Cord sedan. It is another piece of rolling art
    Steve Arizona May 21, 2014 at 16:37
    Rob, this post is certainly ripe for discussion. As you focused on post-war cars, I'll stay in that space. As for the sports cars (particularly European), I'd argue that the 250 Lusso is better looking than the 250 GTO. However, I think you could also say that Jaguar's D-Type (you did acknowledge the E-Type). When turning to American car of the same period, I'd have to say that two GM cars launched in 1963 are standouts: the split window Corvette and Buick's new Riviera. One could also argue that the Avante was has impactful and important a design as any that same year. All good fun - keep up the great work.
    Tom Wenning Poulsbo, Wa. May 21, 2014 at 16:38
    There is NO way a Firechicken looks better than an E-Body 'Cuda or Challenger.
    V England United States May 21, 2014 at 16:40
    I think the Jaguar XK 150 is one of the most best looking cars ever.
    Rob Howard Clarksville, TN May 21, 2014 at 16:43
    And for Sports Car, convertible - the '61 Vette is by far the most attractive. And 4 door sedan - the '59 Caddy or '60 Impala should take the prize.
    Jason Texas May 21, 2014 at 16:46
    71 Firebird? LMAO! You KNEW this would cause controversy, because that car is HIDEOUS to look at. At least you remembered to stick the iconic E-type on the list. ~sigh~
    david bay area May 21, 2014 at 16:49
    Except for the firebird I can't imagine any of these cars even being close. The Ferrari looks like a frog. Put that ugster Ferrari against a new F430 and take a vote. 69 charger r/t 2004 Commemorative Corvette conv. 71 Cuda conv 1959 or 1960 Cad conv 1934 buick 3 window or 1934 ford 3 windowhot rods
    James Vorhees Michigan May 21, 2014 at 16:52
    .Great choice for a background in that Pontiac photo. What the hell is that rack?
    Car Collector Chronicles Milwaukee, WI USA May 21, 2014 at 16:54
    Have no idea what category it would fit (Full-size luxury?), but the 1955 Cadillac has to be there!
    brent Goderich, Ontario,Canada May 21, 2014 at 16:54
    Really disappointed 1968 f100 missed the list!
    stephen siben long island n y May 21, 2014 at 16:56
    good choices but the 1936 cord is the best looking autto for the century most of the others are too similiar to be unigue
    Eric United States May 21, 2014 at 16:58
    I do like the 250 GTO, however my favorite looking cars are the Maserati Birdcage and the early Porsche 930 models.
    RDryman Greensboro NC May 21, 2014 at 16:59
    1953 Hudson Hornet is the best looking one. If I can't put a photo of my car here, then how can I convince anyone of its appearance?? Go to a car show with me and see how many looks muscle cars are getting compared to mine; NOT many~~~
    jim 24592 May 21, 2014 at 17:02
    1962 Corvette
    Matthew Colorado May 21, 2014 at 17:03
    I'm in partial agreement with #3 except I have never been as utterly enchanted by the convertible as with the coupe - the lovely, sloping lines of the Jaguar E-Type hardtop almost paralyze me.
    Ron California May 21, 2014 at 17:04
    Continental??? How about 62-63 Chevy 409's...64-65 GTO's, 63-64 Plymouth Fury's, 64-65 Shelby Cobra,
    Matthew Colorado May 21, 2014 at 17:04
    rob calgary alberta May 21, 2014 at 17:08
    muscle car 70 chevelle ss is the best looking imho. sports car 63 corvette stingray.
    Ernest Hart IL. May 21, 2014 at 17:15
    Has clean lines
    Duffy N. Illinios, USA May 21, 2014 at 17:16
    As I scrolled downward reading your text and came to 'sports car' ... I was already mentally composing my rebuttal: "In my view, a true sports car has to be a convertible. There's nothing like that wind-in-the-hair cruise or the ability to see Ursa Major - clearly - directly overhead!" And I was all set to begin my defense for my pick - the Jaguar E-Type ... but by then, my reading eyes caught up with my racing brain - and there it was: rightly in a category all by itself! So, with a nasal "never mind!" I'll just say - Good Job!! Duffy
    Timothy Ross New York, NY May 21, 2014 at 17:17
    I can forgive the Museum of Modern Art for getting it wrong, but the car guys at Hagerty should know that the series I Jaguar e-type coupe is far more beautiful than the roadster. The coupe is what Enzo wept over and inspired Ferrari's imitation. In my book the list is: 1) series I fixed head coupe, 2) series II fixed head coupe, 3) series III 2+2 (they didn't make a fixed head coupe in the final series, 4) series II roadster (the split rear on the series I isn't ideal for the convertible) and 5) series I roadster.
    loren packard North Carolina May 21, 2014 at 17:22
    Hands down the most beautiful production American car is the 53 Studebaker Starliner hardtop. When you consider the automobiles being built by the big three in that era, nothing comes close. Very clean lines compared to the chrome laden cars of the 50's. Even today, it looks as stylish as it was then and still a favorite of the Bonneville speed freaks.
    Vern Doria Chino Valley, Arizona May 21, 2014 at 17:23
    Bob, you missed the 1969 and 1970 DeLorean styled Pontiac Grand Prix. Looks good from every angle, front, rear, side and all four corners. This car is greatly overlooked and it was one of the strongest running 70 muscle cars that was sadly mistaken for a personal luxury car. Get a clue.
    Walt Branchville, N.J. May 21, 2014 at 17:24
    1965 Buick Riviera, 1961 DeSoto Fireflite and 1956 Chevy Bel Air (2 door). Looks that kill.
    Ron Hinz 99353 May 21, 2014 at 17:26
    1) The early Jag XK E coupe, of course! 2) A late ('65 - 69) Corvair 4 dr. sedan. 3) The Chrysler Crossfire coupe.
    Mike Tockey INDY, USA May 21, 2014 at 17:28
    63-65 Buick Riviera - Best of them all.
    Morgan Muskegon, MI May 21, 2014 at 17:30
    The '61 thru '69 Lincoln Continentals are one automotive design that makes the "Best Looking" category for sure!
    Scott Holland, OH May 21, 2014 at 17:32
    Mid-year Corvettes (1963-1967) are among the best looking cars ever, without question!
    Gary Brown Jacksonville, fl May 21, 2014 at 17:32
    For whatever reason, you have neglected to include 2 door hardtops in your categories for consideration. I'm thinking Toronados, Grand Prixs, Thunderbirds, Rivieras, Lincoln Marks, Eldorados and others have provided some awfully good designs over the years.
    Ed Williams Nashville May 21, 2014 at 17:34
    Now THAT is a strange listing of best-looking-ever cars, regardless of category. I won't even waste space or time here enumerating the 100 or so that are--IMHO--better looking than most of those!
    Vinny Murphy Marco Island , FL May 21, 2014 at 17:40
    I know there are a lot of "fantastic muscle cars to choose from", but this is not even the prettiest Firebird......This is a contest for "best-looking"...but snorkel hood scoops and a flying chicken on the hood ? Why not the Superbird with its ridiculous spoiler ? How could the '71 Firebird compete in the same beauty contest with a '65 GTO , a '69 Z-28 , a 1963 Corvette Split window coupe , a '67 Shelby GT-350 Mustang Fastback ? Sorry, but ....I could list ten more cars that would make the Firebird slink into the shadows like the ugly sister .
    Chris Payton Lafayette, LA May 21, 2014 at 17:42
    Without question it's a 1967 Shelby GT 500
    Vinny Murphy Marco Island , FL May 21, 2014 at 17:42
    Bob Williams Texas May 21, 2014 at 17:51
    And the Iconic Porsche 911 isn't one of them....oh come on!
    Robert Adonizio United States May 21, 2014 at 17:53
    1985 Fiat 2000 Pininfarina 37,000. Pristine!!
    Matt Kempton PA May 21, 2014 at 17:54
    Of course this is subjective, I like all of your picks, being an automotive enthusiast. The Firebird is a good choice with it's European flair it really made other cars look old next to it. Of course my Favorite car of all time was the Delorean DMC-12. With its Stainless steel body panels and gull wing doors it was truly futuristic and having owned one for five years, it was a blast to drive. On the oppisite side of the spectrum I really liked Porsche's Flagship, 928. Nowadays cars just don't have that style or verve to them. They all look alike. I don't see much worth collecting in the future, If we're allowed to drive at all.
    Nick Fettis Carmel, California May 21, 2014 at 17:55
    I definitely agree with the 61-63 Lincoln Continental, especially 63. I would pick the 55 T-Bird, the 70 or 71 Mercedes Benz 280 SE 3.5 (coupe or convertible), the 1948 Tucker and 57 Ferrari.
    mick miller carson city nv May 21, 2014 at 17:56
    some neat cars but im getting too old need to sell my 1972 Stutz black hawk
    John Fenrich Owasso, OK May 21, 2014 at 18:05
    Hey, how about a 1948 Crosley sedan, or a '60s Morris Minor convertible? Beauty is in the eye on the beholder
    jin oregon May 21, 2014 at 18:08
    can't find my 1969 ford bronco for a valuation, all stock, new paint etc.
    Linda Gastel New York May 21, 2014 at 18:12
    I think the 1956 Lincoln Continental Mark II is a timeless classic.
    Raymond Moore Albany N Y May 21, 2014 at 18:16
    1957 Studebaker Golden Hawk. 375 HP 380Ft Lbs Torque. I`m not sure bet I`ll bet there was not many 4 passenger U.S, autos faster, or as sleek.160 Speedo, If it couldn`t bury it, it came real close.
    Mike V Syracuse, NY May 21, 2014 at 18:18
    I'd say you got it right! You could indeed broaden that and say any 2nd Gen bird. The long hood, short deck body combined with Pontiac's 2nd to none styling was/is a knockout. Yes of course you could bring the GTO's onto this least easily. It's good to see a pro-Pontiac guy and/or crew around! Glad to be a customer.
    Rob NJ May 21, 2014 at 18:24
    Best-looking musclecar ever starts with the 68-70 Dodge Charger. Then, you can argue about all the rest after that.
    TONY Ct May 21, 2014 at 18:26
    I think the Lincoln Mark VIII's are one of the best looking cars I've ever had. Truly a hot rod Lincoln. 265-290 HP, and 25MPG, way back in the early 90's, a really beautiful automobile. I guess that's why I have 4 of them. A hot rod with all the toys.
    Kerry Bonnyville May 21, 2014 at 18:27
    What!?? - No Corvettes??? I don't know about all you men but as for us older women, those old corvettes always had us drooling LOL
    howard Texas May 21, 2014 at 18:32
    55-57 chevy were a nice era with basic designs, good structure and where owners could repair most breakdowns, no emissions or computers and they worked.
    Dave Richard Harvard, MA May 21, 2014 at 18:37
    If you want the best looking car, not to mention great performance to go with it, then the answer is the late 90's early 2000's Series Cadillac Eldorado. And GM, of course, in their totally convoluted reasoning, did away with it, proving my selection.
    jamie oberst lexington ky May 21, 2014 at 18:37
    The original Lotus Elite
    Scott K SoCal May 21, 2014 at 18:43
    You did say "all time". By your answers, I'd say "all time, as long as it's between 1961-1971, and a capricious array of categories."
    Jo Jesty United States May 21, 2014 at 18:50
    Enzo might have wept (though I rather doubt it), but the E-type was years behind the Austin Healey, which was certainly the best looking car until the E-type came along. In my view, even after the E type. But I will admit I own one!
    Terry Scotts Valley, Ca May 21, 2014 at 18:53
    And so, whatever happened to the classic lines and curves of the beautiful Austin Healey?!
    CC2003 USA May 21, 2014 at 18:54
    The Ferrari and Jaguar are good choices. The other three are a joke.
    Terry Scotts Valley, Ca May 21, 2014 at 18:55
    Dave Jones Middle Earth, Kentucky May 21, 2014 at 18:58
    Porsche 904. The first of the really aerodynamic Le Mans style GT racers. Todays prices tell the tale. Even better looking than the "E" type.
    Scott Mikkelson Sacramento ca May 21, 2014 at 18:58
    You omitted the most visually stunning car ever made--- 56-57 continental mark II. --
    Jo Jesty United States May 21, 2014 at 19:03
    PS to previous... I will admit that the BMW 507 in the mid-late 50s was also gorgeous. Both the Healey and BMW are much prettier than the Ferrari 250GTO, whose front end looked really rather sorta froggy!
    Chris Redding, CA May 21, 2014 at 19:05
    Didn't even mention the second-generation Charger! (Especially the '68)
    James Las Vegas May 21, 2014 at 19:06
    I think you got it right so far as you went, but there should be one more category to include Square Thunderbirds.
    Robert Abbott Suffolk,Va. May 21, 2014 at 19:15
    The original Pontiac Firebirds were much better looking than the second generation. 1957 Bel Air convertibles are more attractive than Nomads. Baby Birds are automotive art, as well as, the Studebaker Avanti.
    Fiddlestix Virginia May 21, 2014 at 19:19
    I think one might call a 1963-67 Corvette Sting Ray a muscle car and easily knock the Firebird off the pedestal. It even gives the 250GTO a run for its money in the Sports Car Coupe Category.
    George Whiteley Blairsville, GA May 21, 2014 at 19:20
    These cars rank among the most beautiful in my mind: Ferrari 275GTB, 250 Berlinetta Lusso; Maserati Ghibli--NOT the new one; Alfa Romeo/Aston Martin Zagato; BMW 507, 2800/3.0CS, 8 Series; Lamborghini Miura; '63-'65 Buick Riviera; '63-'67 Corvette Sting Ray.
    jeff kessel concord n.c. May 21, 2014 at 19:22
    #1 1969 Camaro #2 1957 Corvette with hard top in place. I know it's not a true coupe,but it is a beautiful car. #3 1967 Corvette Roadster. Has to be a 427 #4 1956 or 57 Nomad #5 1962 Caddy
    Archie1954 Vancouver May 21, 2014 at 19:29
    Honestly to me the best looking car is a convertible and of the convertibles, two stand out: the 1959 Buick and the 1960 Chrysler.
    John Carapiet United States May 21, 2014 at 19:32
    The Lancia Appia series 2 is very pretty and very well finished
    Tom United States May 21, 2014 at 19:40
    I have all three Nomads because I couldn't decide which one I liked best. I finally settled it by deciding the one I'm driving at the time is my favorite. They are great looking cars.
    Johnny United States May 21, 2014 at 19:42
    muscle cars looks for me are '67 camaro SS RS, '66-68 chevells, sports car looks '67 ferrari , convertible jag e-type, '59 MG, I agree on wagon and lincoln
    Wayne Byrd Virginia May 21, 2014 at 19:43
    I think the C2 corvette has to be mentioned in one of the most beautiful cars It completely changed American Design attitude and quite frankly is better looking than the E Jag
    Larry Freeman United States May 21, 2014 at 19:58
    1. Muscle Car - 1965 Pontiac 2+2 convertible w/421 - 376 HP 2. Sports Car(coupe) 1963 - 1967 Corvette Coupe 3. Sports Car convertible(roadster) 1949 - 1954 Jaguar XK120 4. Station Wagon - 1957 Oldsmobile 5. American Four Door Sedan - Have to go with the 61-63 Lincoln Continental 5.
    Shilo Florida May 21, 2014 at 20:04
    Oh no where is the "most beautiful car in the world?" 1967 Ferrari 275GTB Aluminum body long nose ? But a Firebird???!!!! Would that Firebird be on the show field at Amelia Island or Pebble Beach. No way. How about an Auburn Supercharged Boattail Speedster??!!! A Duesenberg SJ??? No AC Cobra??? Or even the quirky styling of a Tucker. But a 1961-1963 Continental???? Whoever did this list needs to broaden their automobile education.
    George pentesco Niagara on the Lake. Ontario May 21, 2014 at 20:05
    I agree the Nomads are gorgeous and restored one like the 1956 in the picture. Sold it to RM at auction in 1997. I still feel the 56 was the best of the 3 years. A real classy and clean look.
    Joe United States May 21, 2014 at 20:08
    Won't argue at all with the E-Type. I'm a muscle-car guy but that Jag is simply wonderful. Best ever, period.
    Jack Weiszer Portage, Michigan May 21, 2014 at 20:08
    My God, with so many great looking cars in the past 100 years, narrowing the field to 5, or even 500, is next to impossible. Others that come to mind- Cobra, 1967 Corvette, 1960 Corvette, Ford GT-40, Pantera, to cite just a few. Why? They look like they are moving just sitting still, they sound like sports cars used to, and they are pure, unadulterated sex.
    Mike Spaulding Shiloh IL May 21, 2014 at 20:13
    1. 1968 Hemi Barracuda. They are still beating up the dragstrip today. 2. 1963-67 Corvette Coupe. Classic beautiful American car. 3. E-Type is dead on. 4. the Nomads are another good call. 5. I think I'd lean to a 1956-68 Jaguar Mark VIII. Beautiful.
    terry embree nfld May 21, 2014 at 20:22
    The best looking car is the Chevelle-72.dont like jaguar or Ferrari.I would not pick any station wagon or 4 door sedan.I just pass by those.
    Bill Barrington, IL May 21, 2014 at 20:22
    You nailed it with the Nomad. GM was in it's styling prime during the 50's-early 70's, and the Nomads get looks all the time. The E-type Jaguar's have always been a car I have lusted after...
    G.R.Lupton Langley,B.C. Canada May 21, 2014 at 20:25
    Have to agree with the '70 Formula. Had one and have kicked myself thousands of times for not keeping it. So much power in that 400. Could smoke the tires as long as you liked.
    Ted Mumm Newport Beach, CA May 21, 2014 at 20:27
    Ever seen a 1960 Lotus Elite? Better lines than either the GTO or the E-Type. However, if I have to vote on what's presented, the Ferrari is a narrow winner over the Jag. The American cars aren't even in the running!
    Mary Piccirillo wisconsin May 21, 2014 at 20:29
    I lost my heart to a Triumph TR 2, black with red leather interior, near perfect!
    jr Carlisle PA May 21, 2014 at 20:32
    I'm glad the 56 Nomad made it. I like the 57s better though. My red/white original 57 two door would be a good choice, too.
    Hubs wa May 21, 2014 at 20:37
    You have a small case for Nomad and Ferrari but no way on the others. Firebird........it wasn't even a top notch muscle car.
    Tom Hall LIsbon, Ohio May 21, 2014 at 20:39
    Whenever I read the headline of any article that reads "best of" I cringe. Knowing full well the contents are always subjective and really not worth the ink used to print it this article did not disappoint.
    ron Carlisle PA May 21, 2014 at 20:42
    Best muscle car is the 69 Z28 302 / 4speed
    Alan El Cajon, Ca May 21, 2014 at 20:48
    I think the 1970 AMC AMX is a better looking muscle car than the Firebird.
    Fiddlestix Virginia May 21, 2014 at 21:06
    I think one might call a 1963-67 Corvette Sting Ray a muscle car and easily knock the Firebird off the pedestal. It even gives the 250GTO a run for its money in the Sprorts Car Coupe Category.
    mark f garrett United States May 21, 2014 at 21:07
    Cool. I agree my 1st 65 Malibu ss 350hp 4 spd. new. 2nd 70 formula 400 4 sp.new. 3rd 67 camaro 400 sm blk. sold malibu to bro in law. bad idea. Still got other 2.sold my 52 Henry j. Chevy powered slant pan hydro.Street ride, and i carry my Ins. with Hagerty
    Steve M. Mid-Hudson Valley, NY May 21, 2014 at 21:07
    Personal Luxury Car - Late 60's boattail Buick Rivera. Family Convertible/Coupe/Sedan - 1965-1969 Corvair. Sports Car (coupe) - 1963 Split Window Corvette.
    Steve C. Wilson Monterey, CA May 21, 2014 at 21:23
    The 1977 through 1989 BMW 6-Series Coupe would be my top pick. Well-proportioned and widely copied by other manufacturers.
    Russ California May 21, 2014 at 21:26
    I'll go along with 4 of 5, but the Pontiac Firebird Formula? That doesn't even make my top 15. Too many really nice looking Muscle cars out there to say what's number 1, but not the Firebird Formula.
    Sharon Montana May 21, 2014 at 21:27
    I have a '69 Firebird that I moved across the country with me. From New Hampshire to Montana.
    Randy Rogers Vail, Arizona May 21, 2014 at 21:30
    Muscle Car: 66-67 Pontiac GTO Sports Car (coupe): 65-67 Jag E-type Sports Car (drophead): 62 Corvette Station Wagon: 55-57 Pontiac Safari American Four Door Sedan:2000-2002 Pontiac Grand Prix
    Gerry Neil Lambton Shores, Ontario, Canada May 21, 2014 at 21:33
    '56 Olds Holiday, blue and white. Also 66 Olds Toronado
    Ray F. Tomorowitz Cleveland, Ohio May 21, 2014 at 21:34
    I don't know...I have to go with the '57 Buick Caballero hardtop wagon. Drop dead gorgeous.
    Jeff Cate United States May 21, 2014 at 21:49
    I agree Jaguar has made a beautiful car in the E-Jag, but the XK120's 140's and 150's do so much more for me. What great cars!
    Bryan Hepper illinois May 21, 2014 at 22:05
    #1 Corvette Sting Ray #2 1956-57 Corvette #3 Jaguar XKE #4 1955-56 Lincoln MarkII #5 1957 Ford T Bird
    Gary J.Mallast Mount Clemens, MI May 21, 2014 at 22:28
    For what it is worth. (Not much I know.) Here are my choices in the same categories. 1. Muscle Car, 1968 Plymouth Road Runner (Truth in advertising: I HAVE a 1968 Belvedere Coupe—same car but with slant six and three speed instead of big engine and “Beep Beep” horn.) 2. Sports Car (coupe) Have to think on that. Maybe DeThomaso Mangusta. 3. Sports Car-Convertible. Probably MG TD. I know, no one else likes the TD prefering the more classic TC or the more modern MGA. Well, I never said I am a conformist. By the way, to me a sports car has to be under 3000 pounds, preferably under 2500 pounds. Anything heavier is a Grand Touring Car. 4. Station Wagon: Steel only: toss up, 1950 Plymouth Suburban or 1953 Ford Ranch Wagon (styling by Gordon Beurig). If you include woodies, I would say Louis Ironside’s 1942 Mercury. It was a factory official’s car at the Iron Mountain Plant—all birdseye maple. Alternative: 1940 Packard woody I saw in an article in Motor Trend way back in the early 70’s. 5. American Family Sedan (assuming four door): 1953 Ford. In some ways I prefer the plain Jane Mainline to the fancier Customline as being a more pure rendering of the same idea. After that, probably 1936 Ford Touring (Trunk) Sedan or 1955 Ford. Also very fond of my 1968 Plymouth Belvedere Fordor and the 1929 Ford Model A Briggs 170-A Fordor I had in high school which had some really nice classic “coachwork” touches for a low-priced car.
    Howard Canada May 21, 2014 at 22:38
    Jaguar XJ 220 sleek and beautiful dream car. Alfa, Porsche,Volvo 1800 think I will let others decide the best looking.
    Joe Robbins Rocky Mountains May 21, 2014 at 22:41
    The shape of my 64 Chevelle with the bulging rear fenders is one of the most basic body shapes ever. The car is so square it's................but add the bulging rear fenders and look at it from the front at the right angle and with tires and wheels that barely fit the rear fender wells along with the front wheels and tires slightly less wide and you have a beautiful car body with a gorgeous stance. Every time I drive it I get lots of attention. Corvette rally wheels and early 60's Chevy pickup center caps and you truly have a car that's hard to look away from.
    Audrey Spiwak Boynton Beach, Fl May 21, 2014 at 22:49
    My 1981 Silver , Red Striped, and Mirrored Moon Roof T-Tops Corvette Three-Fifty Cubed 200 Horse Power Engine is my beautiful Car for the past 34 Years. Haggerty insures it for $40,000
    christopher lemm wisconsin May 21, 2014 at 23:18
    cars with class and elegance were made in the thirties,the 1937 Packard senior club sedan has got to be most beautiful auto ever produced, the best looking club sedans don't have side mounts that break up the graceful flow of the front fenders.
    Ghigh Coeur d'Alene, ID May 21, 2014 at 23:23
    You left out the Austin Healey series.
    Heath Childs Tupelo,MS May 21, 2014 at 23:38
    Any such list that does not include the 1957 Ford Thunderbird is stupendously lacking and invalid!
    Sherman Brown Walnut Creek CA May 21, 2014 at 23:52
    My five best: The First Lincoln Continental, a concept of Edsel Ford; Harley Earl's 1940 Cadillac; Raymond Loewy's Avanti; the first genuine Buick Riviera Hardtop of 1948 and the very first Cadillac ElDorado of 1953. All the above chosen because my first decade, the thirties was filled with ugly cars.
    Jill Hastings Tulsa, Oklahoma May 21, 2014 at 23:56
    The Jaguar is the only 'pretty' one of your group of 5.
    Bernard Huizenga Elm Grove, WI May 22, 2014 at 01:13
    I vote for the 1970 Mach I in Bright Yellow with louvres and spoiler
    joseph schaefer bechtelsville,pa May 22, 2014 at 13:27
    1969 mach1 mustang and 1960 ford starliner
    John Broughton Prescott Valley, AZ May 22, 2014 at 13:30
    Nice choices. However, I'm rather biased towards a car I just bought (Had two different ones when I was young.), a 1957 Pontiac Chieftain: http://tinyurl.com/1957PontiacChieftain
    Jim Weiss Atlanta, Ga. May 22, 2014 at 13:38
    The Firebird 71 455 is a great choose since I own one. 1971 240Z is my choose for the most beautiful sports car & again I own one. Original owner of both cars.
    Doug West Mount Vernon, WA May 22, 2014 at 01:42
    I have a 1966 Dodge Coronet Sedan, 426 Hemi, A-833 four-gear, 3:54 Dana 60. One of eleven built in '66., graded a 1.5 car, stock grocery getter with big block attitude.
    Mike Patty South Bend (Notre Dame) IN May 22, 2014 at 13:59
    You have to ad the Dino and Any Corvette!
    Jeffrey Dean Tucson, AZ May 22, 2014 at 14:04
    You forgot the most beautiful motorcycle. Of course it is the early 1950s BMW R68: http://bmwdean.com/r68.htm
    Randy Rebernick Milw WI May 22, 2014 at 14:25
    I like the 71-2 Olds 442(or Cutlass).Timeless styling.I still think these cars look great 40+ years later.
    Jim Martin New Jersey May 22, 2014 at 14:38
    I believe that the 1968 corvette convertible with it's simple curvaceous lines is one of the sexiest cars of all time !!
    Robert Pearson Blue Springs, MO May 22, 2014 at 15:23
    At least you coulda found a T/A without rust on it to show...
    Art Wegweiser McCandless, PA May 22, 2014 at 15:55
    Classic, still within reach of more ordinary people than these high priced machines (many of which drove like crap except in a straight line ... I was there) 1972 BMW CSi
    Russell Smith Loyal,WI May 22, 2014 at 16:05
    Being I have a 71 show winning 71 formula firebird clone i half to agree on the looks all the people that come up to me say that thats there favorite body style I don't see any around here and you never hear much about them in any articles I think they are the next car to jump up in the collector car market any thoughts?
    Jim Rohn 85260 May 22, 2014 at 16:25
    Agree with all the above from a styling perspective. 1. The 72-3 Formula could be included as well as only the grille mesh changed from their 70-71 design. 2. The earlier ones are sometimes considered "sexier" 3. I think the 1st year version (1955) is the purest in design 4. Again, the earliest version (1961) is the purest in design. Nice list, well done
    Adam Nebraska May 22, 2014 at 04:39
    Even Hagerty couldn't find a 2nd gen Firebird without rust in the rear quarters . . .
    Mike V. Syracuse, NY May 22, 2014 at 16:48
    I would agree that you got this right for the muscle category.The long hood, short deck design of the 2nd gen birds combined with Pontiac's 2nd to none styling, was a knockout. It wasn't used for 11 years for no reason. You could of course add GTO's to this list as well. It's good to see Pontiac getting the respect it deserves. Glad to be a member!
    Don Brubaker Chicago May 22, 2014 at 17:09
    I would like to see the 60's Riviera somewhere in the list. I personally think the 64 E-Type Jaguar was perhaps the prettiest car of that era. I consider the Talbot Lago the prettiest car of all time.
    Steve Henrichs McAlester, OK May 22, 2014 at 17:29
    Wow, what beautiful cars you picked out Rob. As a beholder, I agree that these are among the most beautiful cars every created. However.......I behold from a slightly different perspective. To me, one of the top 1 most beautiful cars is a T-Bucket...specifically, mine!! Of course I also love American classics and have a 1964 Dodge Dart GT as well. Actually, the Dart is my wife's car. So...although I do not disagree with any of your picks, I would wonder if perhaps there might have been another category or two that could have been included. Really, thanks for a nice article and for your good work!! Steve
    Jim Ohio May 22, 2014 at 06:43
    The 1965 Pontiac GTO Best ever
    Mel North Carolina May 22, 2014 at 19:13
    Though I guess it was actually considered a luxury coupe, I'd call the '63-'64 Studebaker Avanti a muscle car, and a darned pretty one. After all, it looked so cool and did set speed records at Bonneville when it was introduced.
    Ed Stillwell Wayne, OK. May 22, 2014 at 07:36
    My personal favorites are the 1965 Corvair Corsa, the series 2 Jaguar XJ, and the 1958 Chevy Impala.
    Ken Bailey Long Island , New York May 22, 2014 at 07:39
    I had 3 1966 Dodge Chargers and loved the looks, lines and performance of each one. A classic look for the beginning of a model that set a standard for the coming years for Mopar
    JR Mitchell North Carolina May 22, 2014 at 08:18
    Nice choices but how could you exclude either the 190 SL or, 300 SL?
    asper ME May 22, 2014 at 08:44
    Four of your five picks are from the 60's and 70's big, gas guzzling arks period. Even the Ferrari looks like some kind of creepy, crawly monster. You answered your own question about the 56 wagon "It's tough to make a really pretty station wagon." A tri-five hard top might have been a better choice. And the truly beautiful, classic car period of the 20's and 30's: long and sleek with those vertical grills and side mounted spare tires, you completely ignored.
    Paul Vancouver, WA May 22, 2014 at 21:09
    Let's not forget Buicks contribution. 1965 Riviera with it's quad bucket seats and cool clam shell headlamps. or the 71/72 Boattail that looked like it was doing 90 mph sitting still.
    Robert Shaffer Grove City pa May 22, 2014 at 09:47
    1. Ford gt40 5. 1969 z28 rs camaro 2. Hemi Cuda 3. 1967 gt500kr Shelby 4. 1969 428 scj mustang
    william worm new london wisconsin May 22, 2014 at 10:18
    I had a1957 dodge coronet 2 dht red and white 3 yr. ahead of it's time a great car.
    Frank M Nevada May 22, 2014 at 22:42
    By 1977, Firebird TransAms and Formulas were only offered with the Olds 403 with A/T in CA. Performance and suspension-wise, they were identical. I opted to buy the Formula because of its cleaner looks, albeit with fake twin hood scoops, and it was a car of its times; black on black, alloy wheels and crushed velvet interior. My Amorata, at the time drove it to her job for the first time and was told by her boss that she looked like a moll driving up in it. She replied, "What's your point?" It was an excellent road car for handling the Santa Cruz Mountain roads where I lived at the time. A nice, nice car.
    Bill Porter Whitmore Lake, MI May 22, 2014 at 10:44
    Of the 2nd generation Firebird 400s, my particular favorites are the '70, '72, and '73. The sales department insisted that I change some detail on the '71 so the salesmen on the lots could tell them from the '70s. Too late to change the grille texture, I reluctantly stuck on the phony front fender louvres. The following two years I had time (and tooling money) to change the grille textures. Incidentally the rare '72s (due to a strike at the Norwood, Ohio plant) have a hex pattern grille that goes well with the honeycomb wheels. My personal 2nd gen Trans Am has the Formula 400 hood installed. The forward scoops are aerodynamically effective with the Ram Air II cam and gulp air far better than the rear facing shaker scoop. But the latter, in combination with the big hood bird graphic probably saved the car, sales wise, during the awful days of the Vietnam War.
    Eric W. Josephson Beverly, MA May 22, 2014 at 10:48
    My votes for best in category go to: Muscle car: 1968-69 Pontiac GTO. The original muscle car at its most stylish. That Endura bumper was truly a stroke of genius! Sports car, coupe and convertible: The 1963-67 Chevrolet Corvette Sting Ray. Simply the best, bar none! Station Wagon: Hard to pick just one, being one of the world's most avid wagon fans. I would pick the 1955-57 Chevy Nomads and the1956-1960 Rambler hardtop models for their unique style, the 1965-1966 Fords for their innovation (the '65 dual-facing rear seats, the '66 for pioneering the two-way tailgate). American four-door sedan--the full-size 1967-68 Pontiacs and Buicks. The family sedan never looked so sleek and sweeping as these!
    Dennis Major Pa May 22, 2014 at 10:56
    2014 Porsche Cayman 1966-1974 Alfa Romeo Spider (Pinin Farini) 1966-1974 Alfa Romeo GTV (Bertone) 1948 Cadillac Sedanette Fast Back 1955 Ford Sunliner Convertible (with skirts and NO Continental Kit)
    Bruce Alexander South Dakota May 22, 2014 at 11:05
    1965 to 1969 Corvair Corsa. Someone who knows described it as the best looking European car Detroit ever built. It was a departure from american design at that time and a very beautiful car. PS Nader was wrong!
    J. R. HOMMES MONTEREY, CA May 22, 2014 at 23:38
    NONE OF THE FIVE. MY FAV IS MY 1955 JAGUAR XK140MC OTS, BLACK ON BLACK WITH RED PIPING, WHICH I HAVE OWNED FOR 58 YEARS.
    Bill Tracy South Florida May 22, 2014 at 11:51
    While the GTO is beautiful, its so rare that few ever even see one in person. I think the Lambo Miura is a better choice, or any Ferrari 250 or 275 coupe As for muscle car, the best looking pony car would be the 66 Mustang Fastback, 69 SS Camaro, or an AAR 'Cuda Hard to beat the E-type or Nomad, but another good-looking 4-door sedan is the '64 Ford Galaxies XL Fastback. A 1-year only body, it had four doors, bucket seats and center console along with a similar rear window to the 2-door fastback
    Brian Bosak Caledonia, Michigan May 22, 2014 at 00:05
    Can't agree more with the selection of the 1970-1971 Pontiac Firebird Formula 455! Of course, that's probably because I own a 1971 Formula 455.
    Vince Browning Nevada May 22, 2014 at 12:12
    My 5 "all-time" favorite cars: 1970 Plymouth Superbird(426 Hemi, not 440 mag, of course).....1937 Ford 5-window coupe.....1934(?)Auburn Boat Tail Speedster.....1957 Chevy Bel Air 2-door, 283 Fuel injected.....1962 Chevy Impala SS 409.
    John PA May 22, 2014 at 12:31
    I'm Biased, as I own a 73 Formula 455 (L75/M21 and 24 options) it is the only Firebird I've heard of with Admiralty Blue Ext and Saddle Int. So I obviously agree, however everyone has a favorite and I am a big fan of most American Muscle. By the way, no formula 455 in 1970 (they were 71 to 74 only) and the L75 4 speed combo was available only in 1973. My car is one of 227 ever built, but 4 speeds were available on the 71, 72 455HO and the 73. 74 SD formula F455 in general are very rare
    Jim McElroy Michigan, United States May 22, 2014 at 12:33
    I'll take the "Ferrari" Dino 246 over any other. And c'mon, a station wagon category?!
    Tim S. Sacramento, CA. May 22, 2014 at 12:44
    Disagree with muscle car...1970 Mark Donohue Javelin is often overlooked but style just flows front to back.
    Stormin1 Devon, Canada May 22, 2014 at 00:44
    2 out of 5 ain't good.....
    DetMatt Motor City May 23, 2014 at 06:26
    I'm not saying I dislike the Poncho but not even a nod is given to the Mopar B-bodies of '68 and '69?
    Lew Weinstein Florida May 23, 2014 at 07:24
    muscle car goes to the totally ignored 1956 Studebaker Golden Hawk with a 352 ci Packard V8 or the equally ignored 1968 AMC AMX with a potent 390 ci V8
    Myron Trenne Michigan May 23, 2014 at 07:34
    Category: Sports Car (Mid-engine): 1974 DeTomaso Pantera GTS w/ Delta Wing
    Dave United States May 23, 2014 at 09:07
    This is all subjective, so I can say: "Sorry Rob's got it all wrong". I will buy the Jag E - (I did, I own one) Best looking station wagon is really an oxymoron. no comment. Sports Car - Ferrari GTB-4 Pony/Muscle car - 69' Z-28 'Murican 4 door sedan - toughest pick for me. Love the giant Chrome tooth grilled Buicks of the late 50's, A '59 T-Bird I see as Ford's answer to Harley Earl. Love them for their over the top styling funk. My sleeper is an early 60's Olds Starfire in blue. But I have to pic a Chevy Impala SS bubble window. Make mine a 4 spd, dual quad, positraction 409. Oh yeah lose the back doors. A coupe if you please. (there may be some hysterical/historical inaccuracies)
    Dave NE TX May 23, 2014 at 21:28
    Sorry, but I think you missed two of the most beautiful cars ever produced, the 1967 inboard light Shelby and the 1969 Shelby. GT350 or GT500, it doesn't matter. Those cars are gorgeous.
    AMC Musclecars United States May 23, 2014 at 21:36
    You missed the two seater AMC AMX. One of the best looking cars ever to come out of an American manufacturer
    Axel Oberg Roanoke VA May 23, 2014 at 09:40
    I totally agree with the Lincoln, what a classic, the Ferrari is a fantastic car, but the Aston Martin in the James Bond films would be a better choice for me. The Firebird is a nice looking car, but the Shelby Mustang is to me the more iconic vehicle as far as muscle cars go. The Nomad is an excellent choice, but some of the old woody wagons were also great looking classics. The Jaguar, you are right, it is a true classic.
    Dave NE TX May 23, 2014 at 21:44
    John Duffy Windsor, ca May 23, 2014 at 22:02
    I own a 56' Nomad, stock, white walls. When I drive down the street heads turn even though more than half of them have never seen one.
    John Duffy Windsor, ca May 23, 2014 at 22:03
    Tony G. NY May 23, 2014 at 10:50
    Being the owner of a Series ! E-Type, I was fully expecting it to be one of the 5 - and not disappointed!
    Leagh Surrey BC May 23, 2014 at 11:43
    I have a 1967 Ford Ltd two door hardtop , that my Mom bought new and I got in 1975 , and want to restore . I do not want to exceed the value of the car. Comments
    Keith Dromowicz Detroit May 23, 2014 at 11:46
    Muscle: 1969 Dodge Charger Sports: 1985 Ferrari GTO Sports Convertible: Porsche 356 Wagon: 1972 Dodge Polara 4-Door: 1934 Packard
    CollectorDuke Minnesota May 23, 2014 at 00:38
    Ferrari!!! You have be from another planet. A disjointed forming of steel and glass that cost more money than 99% of the collectors could ever afford. How about the styling of a 67 Corvette 427 Stingray for it's timeless design, performance and reasonable cost. But what do I know driving around in a 64 Corvair Spyder convertible, which I believe to be the most beautiful car ever made in the 60's.
    Bob Cotone Holbrook, Ma. May 24, 2014 at 10:16
    The 1956 Lincoln Premiere Convertible Limited And The 1956 Lincoln Premiere Coupe Have To Be Consider As One Of The Nicest Looking Car On The Planet Earth. Any One Out There Have One Fully Restored ?
    Kenneth Clem Cleveland, OH May 24, 2014 at 11:40
    Why isn't the 1940 Ford or the 1963-'67 Corvette on the list? Instead of the top five it should be the top fifty cars.
    Hal Klassen B.C.Canada May 25, 2014 at 13:46
    Any Duesenberg J , !936-7 Cord .!941 Lincoln Continental, Mk 2 Continental, !956 Chrysler 300 B
    Steve Turner Battle Creek, MI May 25, 2014 at 14:18
    There is no way for any true car person to limit choice to just 5 but if push came to shove, cars from the 20's, 30's 40' should merit some votes. There is now way that all the timeless classics could have appeared from 1950 forward!
    John NJ May 25, 2014 at 07:25
    C2's The chrome years-1968-1972
    Jeff Halstead Michigan May 25, 2014 at 00:08
    For me the '72 Hurst Olds is the King of Cool.
    66 Impala Oshawa, ON May 26, 2014 at 15:40
    must have been a short list to choose from as there are many, many more better looking cars than the lot you provided here... were you trying to stir up some emotions?
    Erik Isaksen United States May 26, 2014 at 18:10
    While the GTO is certainly a beauty, as is the E-Type, I think the Bizzarrini 5300 GT Strada is a better looking car. Bizzarrini may have designed the GTO, but the 5300GT Strada is like he combined the best aspects of both the GTO and the E-Type, added in reliable american V* muscle ... its like the perfect car! Wish i could afford one ....
    Bob Maryland May 26, 2014 at 00:08
    Good selections but if we have a Jag, we need the 1961 & 62 Corvettes, in 2 tone paint ! The intrument layout, seats, power and handling were all superb - and could beat the Jag on Top End !!!
    Dick S. Raleigh, NC May 27, 2014 at 09:57
    I have had 6 Opel GT's which have similar styling to the older Corvettes and Ferrari 250 GTO pictured above. My current one is a 1971 painted GM Blue Metallic with chrome side pipes and 16 inch VOXX wheels which I have spent about 4 years rebuilding and customizing.
    Don R. Dodson Gibsonville, N.C. 27249 May 28, 2014 at 12:17
    The most admired car ever made is the 1959 Chevrolet Impala Convertible, black with a white top with a roman red interior sporting a 348 tri-power engine, straight gear transmission, with a RCA victor record player under the dash.
    Steve Goldenberg Fairfax VA. May 29, 2014 at 01:30
    The '63 to '67 Corvette Stingray Coupe is one of the best 5 ever!!! It was affordable to most.
    John L Belle Chasse, LA May 30, 2014 at 22:16
    How about the 1970 Chevy Chevelle SS454 Sport Coupe. I am kind of partial to that one since I own one.
    bill illinois June 6, 2014 at 06:54
    What ? No mention of the DeLorean styled 69-72 Grand Prixs ?
    C J D St. Louis, MI July 11, 2014 at 11:43
    The rare 1970 Buick Gran Sport Convertible, 1965 Pontiac GTO and the 1963 Split Window Coupe
    Dave SoCal September 14, 2014 at 19:51
    What was in the brownies you ate before picking those five cars?
    Rhonda portland, or January 28, 2015 at 13:52
    love cuda's
    Herb Pa. July 16, 2015 at 21:03
    I would like to include the 1961-1963 Thunderbirds-Bullet Birds to the list of best cars.