8 April 2014

Photo Gallery: The Cars of California

The Hagerty media team traveled to Los Angeles for a series of video shoots in January 2014, and since we encountered so many classic and collectible vehicles during our few days there, we decided to share some of our photos. As you’ll see, California car culture is widespread and diversified; Porsches, Volkswagen buses and Ford Mustangs seem to be the most popular. These were taken with a cell phone, so we apologize in advance for those that aren’t exactly professional quality and hope that you’ll enjoy them anyway.

John Fratcher Sacramento April 23, 2014 at 13:01
    Living in Sacramento I can't see what the big deal is. Looks like a typical street scene to me.
    Ron Bartow California April 23, 2014 at 13:04
    Growing up in the suburbs of Chicago I knew cars rusted after a few years of salted roads. When I first moved to California when I was 17 I couldn't believe how many old cars were here in one piece. Even if they weren't mint, they were missing the gaping rust holes I was accustomed to seeing. The noted exception, as seen in the photos, is beachfront ocean salt spray cars.
    Matt Kempton PA April 23, 2014 at 13:13
    I have recently rediscovered "The Rockford Files" on Netflix. I watched it when I was young with my parents, what a great show. What's so fun now is see Jimbo racing around LA in his Firebird Esprit (Actually a Formula underneath) and seeing all the classic cars all over the place! In they're real time enviroment! It is so fun, Along with a great story your watching then suddenly, There's a 69 Firebird! Oh look at that 911! Is that a triumph!? Haa Jimbo outsmarted that Corvette! Very fun. One other plus, James Garner did most if not all of the Stunt driving, being an enthiast race car driver himself.
    Phil Dallas April 23, 2014 at 13:50
    Barn find Five Willys cars and trucks 33,37,38,39,41.
    Gil Libin calgary canada April 23, 2014 at 15:26
    Do you ever devote even a passing mention to Cougars or is there nothing as sacred as a mustang?
    Clint California April 23, 2014 at 15:52
    Until I bought my CTS 8 years ago, I had exclusively driven vintage cars as my daily drivers. 1948 Packard, 1960 LeSabre, 1963 and 65 Corvairs and a 1986 Fiero. For most people here, cars are an extention of your personality.
    Colin Michigan April 23, 2014 at 09:31
    From my many-hours of looking at Google street views, I can still say I'm surprised about how many Ford Rancheros are in Cali. Fords in general, like Falcons and Fairlanes, but its the Rancheros in particular that I keep seeing parked along the curbs. Not the car I would have expected to see a lot of there.
    JERRY United States April 23, 2014 at 09:37
    2nd pic is not a 1950 caddy
    lance walker N.C. April 23, 2014 at 09:41
    The Cadillac is cool alright but it's a 1939 model not a 1950 model.
    Gary Moore United States April 23, 2014 at 09:48
    re: Classic cars of California the 1st page second picture is not a 50 Cadilac!! I'm thinking maybe a 40?
    JPFLTWD It's not called "Cali"...in CA. April 23, 2014 at 10:52
    Don't be fooled--there's not as many old cars in CA, as press and legend lead people to believe....and they're not all that rust/damage free, either.
    Quentin Lyle Ohio April 23, 2014 at 11:37
    Where is that 1965 Chevy truck for sale? Would like to find dealership for that one!!!
    Ernie California April 23, 2014 at 12:41
    The Chevy pickup behind the fence is a 1966 not a 1965.
    henry.j.kidd bryan.ohio April 24, 2014 at 16:36
    nice looking pic.thanks
    Scott Long Island N Y April 24, 2014 at 17:20
    My claim to fame. I went to Woodstock in a Volkswagen Bus Peace
    Dave California April 24, 2014 at 08:08
    Ha, that red Bronco on page 4 fooled you! It's not a "late '60s" example but a '73 to '77 with the Ranger trim package. Alas, the beauty of those first-gen Broncos is that the body stayed the same from '66 to '77. And thank you, JPFLTWD! (Commenter #11) "Cali" has become as grating as "Frisco" is to natives of San Francisco. The state is California, and Cali is a city in Colombia.
    Terry Swanson napa,Calif. April 26, 2014 at 13:08
    I have a 1970 merc cougar..my first car, yes, I still have it....300,000 miles same engine...i would like to send you a pic
    Joel Cave Creek, AZ April 28, 2014 at 14:38
    Nice Terry! My dad has a 68 xr7 4spd with a/c. Very underappreciated in general. Early cougars have one the best body styles of the sixties (esp the 67 with no side markers). Much better to drive than a Mustang. Excellent interior appointments. Try finding one with the 390 4spd. that was a machine.