7 April 2014

Overlooked Pony: 1968-1974 AMC Javelin

Part 1: Ask the Man Who Owned One

The enthusiasm you see in AMC Javelin owners belies the relatively low production of this unique take on the pony car. Introduced for 1968, the Javelin may have been late to the party, but it made a memorable entrance and left a lasting impression.

Peter Patrone can attest to that. Formerly the head of product planning for Mercedes-Benz USA, and today an auto industry consultant, Patrone put thousands of miles on a 1971 Javelin AMX when he was an engineering student at General Motors Institute (now Kettering University) in the mid-1970s. The school’s cooperative work-study program meant students spent six weeks in school, and then six weeks working at a General Motors facility or office. Living in Brooklyn, N.Y., at the time, Patrone would drive to work at the GM assembly plant in Linden, N.J., and then every six weeks drive back to school in Flint, Mich.

He’d bought the Javelin in 1974 from a seller in Manhattan. The car wore the big, ugly aftermarket bumper guards that Patrone called “obligatory” for New York driving. The 1971 Javelin AMX was pretty rare, with just 2,054 made.

Patrone’s AMX was blue with the white T-stripe on the fiberglass hood. Under the hood was the 360 4-barrel engine, hooked to a 4-speed. The engine was part of the optional Go Package, a performance upgrade that also included dual exhausts, handling suspension, Twin Grip differential, styled wheels, white-letter tires and other tweaks.

“It was a unique design,” Patrone said. “It had cool details, like the exaggerated forms over the front and rear wheels and the wire mesh grille.”

Among Patrone’s favorite features was the cowl induction hood. It was similar to what Chevrolet offered on its muscle cars, but the Javelin’s functional air flap spanned nearly the entire hood.

“As soon as you nailed it, the vacuum dropped and the flap opened up,” said Patrone. “It was right in front of the fresh air ducts at the base of the windshield, so the induction roar came through the car’s ventilation ductwork.”

Hard launches had a downside: “It had axle hop like you wouldn’t believe,” Patrone said, citing a problem that contemporary road tests also called out.

Aside a voracious thirst for fuel on 12-hour drives to Michigan, Patrone said the Javelin was otherwise fairly practical.

“It rode comfortably. And it had a more spacious interior and bigger trunk than Mustang and Camaro,” he said. “I had a footlocker at school that fit right into the trunk.”

Patrone’s Javelin suffered a hit from a red-light runner, and eventually he began taking a plane between New York and Michigan. He sold the AMX to his brother.

“He left it at his house on Long Island. With the salt, heat and humidity, the car deteriorated,” Patrone said. “I still have the AMX badge from the grille.”

Today, Patrone takes a break from his daily driver Mercedes to enjoy a ’91 Mustang 5.0 convertible and a 1978 Pontiac Trans Am with the W72 and WS6 packages.

Part 2: No Mustang Wannabe

Introduced for 1968, the AMC Javelin followed the pony car general formula set by the Mustang, but projected its own identity through a unique and fairly aggressive-looking design, respectable performance options and a roomy interior.

Richard Teague, head of AMC design who seemed to work miracles with low budgets, developed a semi-fastback body design for the Javelin. There was no convertible, but there was a short-wheelbase, two-seat offshoot, the AMX, aimed at the Corvette.

AMC showed the value of its innovation with one small-block engine family that covered displacements from 290 to 401 cubic inches over the Javelin’s seven-year production run. Instead of a specific performance model, the Javelin offered the Go Package upgrade, at first with a 343 cu. in. four-barrel V-8 and also offering the 390- and later 360- or 401-cube versions. The package included dual exhausts, upgraded suspension and brakes, Twin Grip differential, styled wheels, white-letter tires and other features.

Imagination loomed large in Javelin design sessions. In tune with the times, AMC offered a “Mod” package and intense “Big Bad” colors. The 1972 and 1973 Pierre Cardin designer edition had a multi-color striped interior.

The Alabama Highway Patrol used a fleet of 401-powered Javelins in the 1970s. AMC put the Javelin into the SCCA Trans-Am series and did quite well. In 1970, the company built a run of 2,501 Mark Donohue signature editions equipped with the Go Package and a distinctive ducktail spoiler used on the Trans Am racecars. Separate from those, a limited run of 100 commemorative Trans Am Javelins had the Go Package and a can’t-miss-it, red-white-and-blue paint scheme.

Constrained by budgets, Teague’s team pulled off a remarkable redesign on the original Javelin body for 1971. The two-seat AMX was dropped, and AMX became the specific performance version of the Javelin, available with the 360 or 401 V-8 through 1974. The 401 was rare.

The Javelin won back-to-back Trans Am championships in 1971 and 1972. But race wins didn’t seem to help sales, which hovered at about 25,000 per year in the 1970s.

Javelin’s best year was its first, with about 56,000 built. The total made from 1968-1974 came to just about 233,000 — plus some 19,000 of the two-seat 1968-1970 AMX.  Today, sadly, good ones are not easy to find.

Jack A Scranton Pa. April 9, 2014 at 13:12
    I had a 73 Javelin with the optional Pierre Cardin interior. That was crazy pink and purple stripes on the seat and headliner. And the P initial on the front fender. I took a lot of busting at the time but sure wish I had it that car back today
    Jack A Scranton Pa. April 9, 2014 at 13:13
    Phil WI April 9, 2014 at 13:29
    I still have my 73 AMX, 401, 4-speed, PC interior and black in color - which I understand was also an option. Glad to see AMC getting some well-deserved recognition.
    Tim S. Sacramento, CA> April 9, 2014 at 13:36
    Bought my 1st. Javelin in 1968 after getting out of the Navy. 290, 4sp.,posi., dual exhaust...really fun car. Drove 289 Mustangs & 283 Chevys crazy. About 3 yrs. ago picked up '70 Donohue Edition Javelin (was on my bucket list). Over the years, have had 2 Corvettes but neither of them drew the attention my '70 Javelin currently gets!
    John Wolfe Carlisle, Pennsylvania April 9, 2014 at 13:40
    I worked in the Car Distribution Department of the AMC Pittsburgh Zone Office from 1971-1974. Purchased a '74 Javelin, 290 Automatic on Console. Loved the car but it couldn't get out of its' own way in the snow. We parked it in the garage from November until April each year. Sold it when the kids came along. Great car!!
    Maureen Rieger Troy, Ontario April 9, 2014 at 13:44
    Great Article - I have an original 1973 AMC Javelin 401ci with original paint, tires, etc. Only 3rd owner and it has never seen a winter on the road.
    Rick N. Carolina April 9, 2014 at 14:47
    I purchased a new 72' Electric Blue Javelin 304 SST when I was 16 and the love affair with the big Javelins has never ended. It took four years to find an original Electric Blue AMX " could only afford the SST in High School" and it was well worth the wait. This car was ordered the following way: 360 Go-pack( includes functional cowl induction hood, T-stripe,dual exhaust,black out rear panel,twin grip,power discs, 15x7 wheels, heavy duty cooling,etc.) Options include Auto,AC,vinyl top,corduroy seats,tinted glass,electric wipers,Rare center fold down armrest, AM push button radio). She was an original 360 car but now has a date correct 401 with the legendary 291 heads. Outside of the paint, body and original Rim blow wheel work I have performed most of the restoration myself. She is as close to as original as I can make her. The 71' receives nothing but complements every where we show her. Even thought I may own mor valuable and faster muscle cars none are more beautiful or take me back to my wonder years like this car! Rick
    Ken S. Boston, Ma April 9, 2014 at 15:03
    Hi George T. and other AMC colleagues and associates here with their comments and. nice to see others still at it with their cars. I saw the image of the blue 68 and recall my very similar 69 beale st blue sst with the black vinyl roof, 290 floor auto a/c and other options that my dad got me for college. Great sweet fun car, but like all big engine muscle cars was not great in snow either. had to get some studded snow tires. Had that in college from about 72 to 75. (Got tired of driving my dads Ambassador.) Well based on these responses, the Javelin and AMX did what AMC wanted it to by bringing youger buyers into the showroom. Over 1/4 million production over the 7 models years is still pretty good. I went to work at AMC Boston and later NE zone offices) and in late 75 traded it for a loaded 75Pacer X with everything in It. Got a company car a few months later and then gave it to my dad and mom. they loved it. Still in his garage. Hope to bring it back to life again with a some paint work and minor fixes. Still in great shape. I did buy another Javelin, new off the showroom floor. George I still have it. Its now got 26 miles on it and finally took it out in 2012 for our local AMC club shows after sitting for 15 years. Was great to see it and all the AMC's come out of the woodwork. Great history . I need more time to work on the rest of the fleet- 4 pacers, eagle, concord, alliance ad Ambo. Its all great and thanks to Hagerty for the nice article to keep the Motor cars of America alive as we approach the May 1 anniv of the merger of Nash-Kelv and Hudson to form AMC. Regards. Happy American Motor..ing.
    Patrick Hopkins Ottawa, Canada April 9, 2014 at 15:51
    we had a 1968 Javelin when were just starting out, sold it, years went by, and my wife wouldn't stop talking about that Javelin, So I found a good one in Virginia, brought it home, and restored it for her 40th birthday, we still have it, and she drives it all the time, last week was here 52nd birthday.
    Rick Jones Brentwood Tennessee April 9, 2014 at 17:41
    I bought a 1969 AMX, 390ci, auto, a/c, ps, pb, when I was a senior in High School in the summer of ’69, when it was less than a year old. I fell in love with them when they came out in 1968, but couldn't afford one !! This was the first one ever advertised as a used car for sale in the Nashville Sunday paper. I was driving a 63 split window Corvette at the time, but wanted an AMX !! I stood it up in a ditch in a rainstorm in 1974, and bought it back from the Insurnace Company after they totaled it. It was rebuilt in ’82, when I found another one totaled from a wreck to the rear end. It has had a couple of lives over the years, with many of those years in the garage covered up, while raising kids. It had it’s best and most expensive rebirth in the last seven years, making it more roadworthy and fun, than it’s been since I bought it !! It has 52,000 miles on it and except for the color, it’s almost all stock !! It still looks good, turns heads, goes really fast and I still love it !!
    jeff ca April 9, 2014 at 17:43
    I had a 70 Javelin with a 304 automatic. I loved the car, but after about two weeks, I hit a new 74 Fleetwood Brougham. Needless to say, the Javelin lost, but the settlement did help me through college.
    Rich latsch Norway, IL April 9, 2014 at 18:43
    I had a 1968 AMX #0781 w/390 go-pack & auto. I traded it in on a new 1973 Javelin AMX w/360 go-pack & 4-speed w/Hurst. I have recurring dreams about that '68 more than any other car I ever owned & that includes a '67 Stingray 427 & '61 Vette fuelie. How I wish that I still had that '68!
    Bob Congalton Ridgefield, N. J. April 9, 2014 at 19:11
    Back in 1977 I bought my first Javlein SST. It was a 1970 with a 4 Barrel V8 390 Engine. What a Car. Traded it in for a new car in 1980. In 2010 we bought another 1970 Javelin SST. We have a Geart time with it at Shows and in parades. We love to take it on long rides in the sun. Heads turn where ever we take it. Most young people have no idea what the car is. We love it!! Making great new memories.
    rory calgary, alberta April 9, 2014 at 19:13
    I love my AMC cars, a 72 javelin amx, 401 auto, nice low mileage original and a 70 amx 360 4 speed Next time you are thinking about maybe buying an old car, look at these cars, take one for a drive, you will be shocked with what you can get for your money.
    Craig Smith Calgary, Ab Canada April 9, 2014 at 19:50
    Still have my '68 Javelin SST, I won it in a Coke Contest, in 1968 when I was only 12, It came with 290 Auto its had a hard life but its on the mend, Over the years my brother and I raced in autocross, road course, and the hardest test for this car drag racing. The original powertrain is long gone but now boasts a 401overdrive auto 9" rearend , 4 wheel disc's . fuel injection, alum. heads, the works. That's the least I could do for this old girl , as we beat her pretty hard. Its clad in black w/red guts, trans am MoMo style wheels The perfect resto mod, people ask what the hell is this, when you say AMC, they draw a blank, but they remember as all they get see is the back bumper.
    Bruce Sole Northville, Michihgan April 9, 2014 at 21:47
    Great article! Don't see much AMC reporting. I bought a '68 343 w/ the Go Pack. Hunter green with the wide double white stripe down the sides. I beat it up pretty bad (stupid high school kid) and sold it in '74. It regretted that later and bought another '68 about 16 yeara ago. It was originally a six cyl./3 on the tree. Someone dropped a 390 w/shift comand in it and painted it Caravelle blue. People love it at the Woodward Cruise and the wife and I really enjoy taking it out.
    Wayne N Worcester, MA April 9, 2014 at 22:10
    I bought a 1968 Javelin 6-cylinder in 1972. It was probably the prettiest car I ever owned. The good stuff ends there. The driver's side window came out of its moorings, forcing me to clamp it in the up position. Interior plastic upholstery was low quality. It had manifold wipers and the tranny had to be rebuilt every 20,000 miles (a problem with no other car i have owned).
    George Tuchman New York April 9, 2014 at 10:21
    I enjoyed your article Seems like Mr Patrone had a paralell life to mine I purchased my 72 Javelin AMX in 73 401 automatic and drove from brooklyn NY to Big rapids Michigan.to attend college Upon graduation I took a posistion at American Motors in Detroit. Met many of my new friends that worked on the Javelin project. Very fond memeories. I was transfered to NY as a regional training instructor. Prior to Chryslers purchase of AMC I aquired a 70 AMX 360 automatic. Both cars reside in Kent NY where I still get to enjoy and bring to local car shows
    Glenn Houston April 9, 2014 at 22:41
    I always lusted after an orange 74 with purple, silver and gold flames when I was in college. The kid who owned it, ended up destroying it. Fast forward 30 years and my son is a year away from college. I recently purchased a blue '71 with the white vinyl "T" top roof, automatic and a 304 that had been in dry storage for 26 years. My son and I have spent the last 4 months going through and rebuilding all of the systems. I can't wait to see him drive it. I also purchased a '72 AMX Z code car that was factory black on black. Black paint was extra that year for some reason so not too many of them around. Once the '71 is road worthy, I'll start rebuilding that one for myself.
    Gary Stokes Powder Springs, GA April 9, 2014 at 10:45
    Thank you for this article. So seldom are AMC cars recognized today and written about. I am the proud owner of a 1970 Mod Javelin in Big Bad Blue (fully restored) which has been featured in print and video. I also owned a 1972 Javelin Alabama State Patrol car, along with several other Javelins and AMXs. My wife has a fully restored '74 Gremlin. My father was a factory rep for AMC so I guess I inherited my love for AMC cars. Would like to see more feature articles about AMC cars. And would even like to see one of mine featured by you.
    gary orient,ia April 9, 2014 at 10:48
    I felt it was a style leader of it,s time. Wish I had one
    Dave Van WV April 9, 2014 at 10:57
    As a owner of a 73 Javelin and 74 Matador I was happy to see the AMC brand get a little recognition, long over due. My 73 Javelin is a 2 owner car so it has been well cared for....but as I also own a 66 Mustang the AMC is just as good a car as the original Pony! I like being a little different which a 73 Javelin is just that!
    Dave New Mexico April 9, 2014 at 11:28
    I was a Mopar guy but AMC kicked some serious butt at the drags. Anybody remember Pete's Patriot? http://www.petespatriot.com/
    Melissa Polick San Francisco, CA April 9, 2014 at 11:47
    In 2012, I had my mom's 1971 'Racing green" AMC Javelin, V-8 304 automatic on the floor, shipped out to my husband and I to California, that my Brother in Michigan decided would be a perfect fit, here, in Northern CA. It has 54,000 original miles logged on Her, and is in mint condition - It is a head turner, for sure.
    Linda Downs Lake Suzy, Florida April 9, 2014 at 12:16
    I bought my 1973 Javelin when it was six months old. I still own it. As a school teacher it was my daily driver. In 2012 my husband and son had it updated. And what an update it is. The 304 engine exchanged for a corvette LS2 engine, 5 speed electronic transmission, disc brakes all around (was all drum), back up camera, warning sensors, remote door locks, leather interior and numerous other upgrades. My love affair with the JAV continues.
    Steve Ade St. Charles, MO April 9, 2014 at 12:29
    I am originally from Kenosha, WI, home plant of AMC. I worked there from 1973 - 1980, though never on the Javelin. About 10 years ago, I purchased a 1968 Javelin, Yellow w/Black vinyl top, 343 automatic. It has taken that long to restore the car, but it's now done, and a blast to drive!
    Gary Wirrell Rio Rico April 9, 2014 at 12:37
    I have the same story as many. The Air Force took me to Great Falls, MT in 1972 and my first car at the age of 20 was a plum 1973 Javelin AMX Go Pack w/ Cardin interior. I drove it off the show room floor and still today, many great memories of the car. I tried for a long time to find my first car with no luck. Still, I have a 1973 w/go pack that we have restored and enjoy going to the car shows and a ride down memory lane from time to time.
    Ray Tetrault Poughkeepsie, N.Y. April 9, 2014 at 12:46
    Enjoyed the article, remember working at my local AMC dealers when 71 model year was introduced. The longer wheelbase and huge fender flares took some getting used to. Attending Trans-Am events at Limerock Park in Connecticut and seeing Mark Donahue put AMC up against the Big 3 manfs.did my heart good. He showed them just what AMC was capable of in competition. 1971 also was the year I purchased my Big Bad Blue 69 AMX . It was a used car on the lot. Some may remember it being featured in your Jan 2011 issue of Muscle Machines w/my brothers BBB 69 Javelin. We both enjoy attending cruise nights & showing our cars together, it still brings smiles to many enthusiasts to this day seeing both models side by side. We make sure AMC Muscle Cars are not forgotten.
    Gerry Neil Lambton Shores, Ontario, Canada April 9, 2014 at 12:55
    l had a 1970 Javelin, great car. Life changed, traded it for an Ambassador. Great memories.
    Rocco San Francisco April 9, 2014 at 12:56
    Peter and George had parallels to my life, too. I purchased my '73 Javelin (401c.u., Borg Warner T10, Hurst Eliminator, etc) in 1977 and drove it to school in NJ after passing on a place at the GM Institute! It was my primary car until 1987. It fell into to disrepair but I had it restored 10 years ago. It is like brand new and still has fewer than 60k original miles. And gets 9 mpg...
    Neil Krueger Everett Wa. April 10, 2014 at 02:23
    I bought my AMX New in 1969 390 4 speed . I was 19 years old still have the car driven quite often in the summer, Still looks Great.
    Tocki Livonia Michigan April 10, 2014 at 15:39
    I had a 1973 360. Javelin in high school. It was vineyard burgundy with a white stripe down the side, and had a black vinyl top and interior. Sure wished I had that car today!!
    Mike Burch Farmington,Mo April 10, 2014 at 15:42
    In 1970 I was in DaNang ,Vietnam . I had a three-day in country R&R which I spent at China Beach. Low and behold I ran into a car salesman. I had never had a car and told myself whenever I left Vietnam I was going to buy a brand-new car. I ordered a 1971 Javelin SST to be delivered to my house when I returned. I got home, and sure enough it was delivered. I fell in love with that car until six weeks later I totaled it out. As my four kids grew up I would always tell them about my Javelin. But I never could even find one to show them what it looks like. Well, two years ago on Christmas Eve, my wife and four children surprised me with a 1971 Javelin SST. Other then my wedding day and my children being born it was the happiest day of my life. Simce then myself and the family have been working on restoring it. We love taking it out on sunny days. Everyone stops looks and comments and nobody knows what it is. That's when I get the enjoyment of telling the whole story over again. I love it.
    Dave Calgary,AB April 10, 2014 at 17:29
    Nice to see mention of the AMCs.... Owned a 73 back in my 20s - 360,auto.Fast forward to 2011-I now own a 1972 Javelin ( Badged SST ) 401,auto,400 + hp with a lot of goodies & upgrades done. My best investment was a fibreglass cowl induction hood with custom air brush artwork on it.Nice to see lots of other people still enjoy their AMC.
    DUSTIN DEWITT Kokomo, IN. April 10, 2014 at 10:54
    I've owned several AMC's, a 68 343 & 69 390 AMX, 68 343 Jav SST, 72 304 Gremlin X and currently a 77 Hornet with a built 70 390. The 70 390 was salvaged for a Rebel Machine being crushed at a local scrap yard. On a nice sunny day, there's nothing more enjoyable than to see a new Mustang or Camaro owner drive away with a frown with they are beaten soundly by a 1977 Hornet :) Thanks Hagerty for a great article.
    Joey C upstate SC April 10, 2014 at 12:24
    Great article... Just finished my uncles 343 that goes in his 68' SST with GO-Pack...He got it in 1969 when he graduated high school,and i remember riding to k-5 and 1st grade with my aunt driving us.. It was parked in 75 and sat until 2 years ago..He took a trip for a long overdue vacation and we (his 2 sons,my brother and I) heisted the car, pulled engine,trans,brakes etc to get it running one more time!!!! It still has the original paint,the vinyl top has come off...But it sure makes us happy doing this for him.. At one time i remember the slotted aluminum mags,air shocks and the side exhaust on it.... Such a cool car!!!!!
    Bobby Spinoza Las Vegas NV. April 11, 2014 at 18:43
    For the previous 38 posts I am going to sum it up like this: I have to this day a 1968 Hunter Green 390 4 speed Go-Pack Amx. These cars were the most underrated, overlooked Muscle cars of the late 60's but they were tremendous boulevard warriors. My brothers friend had a 1970 Shelby 428 GT500. When he raced me all he saw was my taillights. 1st gear in this car is just wicked. I used to lay a $10.00 bill on the passenger side of the dashboard. My friends who drove in the car with me would question why the money was there. My reply was I'm going to floor the hell out of this car when you least expect it and if you can catch the $10.00 bill, it's yours. But if you don't catch it you give me 10 bucks. Made a lot of money folks; no passenger ever caught the flying cash. The only deviation from a completely stock 390 is it is fitted with a Holley 780 cfm double pumper. You will enjoy this story even more. In 1977 I had the seats out for new carpet. I drove on a milk crate and if any passenger cared to go for a ride with me they too had to sit on a milk crate. Well, my Uncle Alfred asked me if he could go with me to the local 7-11. I said sure but you will have to sit on a milk crate. He exclaimed, "no problem." At the time he was 66. I was going for a 12 pack and he wanted Pall Mall cigarettes. All of a sudden I nailed the accelerator pedal as hard as I could. What happened next looked like a cartoon. Uncle Alfred flew off the milk crate rolling backwards. When I looked at him the bottom of his Florsheim wingtips were completely planted against the headliner of the Amx. To this day I don't think I've ever laughed so hard. All he could say after extricating himself from the contortionist position I put him in was, " this car belongs at, Cape Canaveral." Enjoy.
    Tim Colorado Springs, CO April 11, 2014 at 08:17
    Bought a 74 Javelin when I was a sophmore in High School (1981), sold it to my brother when I joined the Air Force (1984). Fast forward to 2014, just purchased a restored (90%) 1974 AMX, 360, V8, 4spd Hurst. Took me 30 years to get one back, but finally have one again. :)
    Roy Foster Hattiesburg, MS April 11, 2014 at 12:54
    I have a '68 AMX with 390 4 speed go-pack, PS, AC, bought it about 14 years ago with stock running gear. Wanted one badly while in high school, but didn't have the jack. Car is black with silver center stripes & black interior. Recently reworked the engine for fun (aluminum heads, intake, thumper cam, MSD, headers, etc.), but kept all the original parts! I love this car, it is truly a blast to drive.
    Kevin Uniontown, PA April 12, 2014 at 01:53
    GARY WIRRELL Don't know if this was your AMC or not, but during the late 1980's while stationed at Tyndall AFB I recall an Airman driving a Plum 1973/74 AMX in decent shape. It was a wild looking machine!
    Mike Turner Dayton, Oh. April 12, 2014 at 18:06
    I certainly enjoyed the article about the Javelins. I currently am the president of the Ohio American Motors Classics car club. I own a 1968 Javelin that belonged to an Air Force Colonel's wife. I have every document from the purchase to the maintenance records. We purchased the vehicle in 1997,after selling my boat. When checking the paperwork, I found out that this car was purchased on June 21, 1968. This was the date of my 16th birthday. Call it fate or Karma, I was meant to have this car. It is a 232 6 cylinder highly optioned, but radio delete. When asked about this, the Colonel's wife replied that "she had too much noise in her life", thus the delete. I will never sell this car- the grandsons can fight over it. AMC forever
    Tim S. Michigan April 12, 2014 at 07:06
    I worked for AMC in Pricing 1982 - 1987, the Chrysler bought the company. It was a good place to work and I've returned to my roots, owning a 1974 Metallic Green Javelin with a 304. Love it!
    HILKKA TAYLOR Canada,DOWLING April 12, 2014 at 08:47
    My husband purchased his 1st amx in 1968 it was turquoise in colour with a 390 4 speed.He had it for about 6months and kept bringing back to the dealership with things that were not working right.Then the dealerships car jockey was backing it up and smashed the back end.and the lawyers got involved and the dealership settled with my husband for a 1968 ambassator beautiful car 4dr nice to drive.But my husbands heart was still with the AMX so March of 69 he ordered his 1970 Amx bitter sweet orange with a black hood 390 4 speed hurst shift v-8 two seater.What a beautiful car, fun to drive heads turned when we drove by.Now it has been parked in a garage for the last 20 yrs everything original with 72,000 miles on it,Since my husband has passed away he has left his car for his buys Ernie Jr. and JoDee.
    Michael Chapman West Virginia April 14, 2014 at 20:28
    I bought a 74 Javelin when I was 19, still love driving it today. Ya still got it along with a 70 AMX and 70 Mark Donohue Javelin. Loved the article and love my AMC's.
    Brent DC April 14, 2014 at 11:53
    My good firend Charlie Seaman had a Javelin in High School back in 1989. We all had old V-8 rides from the 60s-mine being a '63.5 Ford Galaxie with a 390. Charlie got the Javelin from his Dad, a high school principal who had bought it new or nearly new. His folks weregoing to get him something more responsible, but since he was surrounded by car guys, he asked for the Javelin. It was originally a shade of brown, and Charlie had it repainted Root Beer, which came out really nice. The Javelin was a '68 with 343 and an auto and 4 barrel carb (SST maybe?). Anyway, it was fully optioned, and even had AC and a Tach. It only had 80K miles on it, and the engine had never even been apart, as opposed to all the other guys' beaters. That Javelin ran good too--I'm embarassed to say it took out my Galaxie in a head to head race. I beat him off the line, but that AMC took be out bad in a mid range burst. That car really impressed me as being nicely built and optioned out. We had a lot of Pony cars around, but the Javelin really stood out.
    Karl Heeren Winnebago, Illinois April 15, 2014 at 14:02
    My eldest daughter's first car was a 68 javelin, 6 cylinder 3 on the tree. (My second daughter later bought it from her.) She replaced it with a 69 automatic white javelin. Later she sold that one and bought an orange 74 javelin. Her last AMC was a 78 matador coupe. My son owned a 69 343 SST 4 on the floor, the electric blue color. He also owned a 69 red AMX briefly and later a 73 Javelin.(later purchased by a step daughter-in law) I now own my sons 69 343 SST (he did a restoration in the early 80's.) Although I am generally known as a Ford/Lincoln man I have owned 14 NASH/Rambler/AMC cars over the years: driving them for over 35 years.My first was when I was 15- a '27 coupe to the 69 Javelin currently. The special one in my heart was the '46 600 Club Coupe. I enjoy exercising the Javelin in our local car road rallys.
    bobby spinoza las vegas nevada April 26, 2014 at 17:54
    great article
    Dave Kerr Cincinnati,Ohio May 10, 2014 at 13:51
    Fresh out of law school I treated myself to a new 74 Javelin -one of the last to come into the dealership. It was Wild Plum with white stripes and white interior. It stayed in the family and the only change was a wheel upgrade a few years ago. I still looks and runs great at 80,000 miles.
    Ron L Buffalo, NY June 2, 2014 at 14:44
    I had a 68 SST Javelin when I was 18. 6 cylinder, 3 spd floor shift. Not the fastest car, but a great chic magnet. Some knucklehead in a crappy Vega made a left hand turn in front of me, and that was the end of my fun. Would love to find another one now.
    Dave S. Milford, NJ August 25, 2014 at 11:23
    Long story short...1973 AMX 401 Orig. I am the 2nd and 4th owner. Yes I sold it shortly after purchasing in 1984 then got it back 28 years later(2013). Its in excellent cond and my 16 year old daughter and I are enjoying the heck out of it!! I hope to never sell it again!
    Darren Sydney Australia April 24, 2015 at 18:58
    I have a 1971 AMC Javelin SST, with 401, auto, power steer, power disks & aircon. The 401 has been freshened up and has some mods to take it over the 400hp mark. It's such a fun car to drive and gets looks everywhere. Most people down under have no idea AMC exists let alone produced a race winning pony car. Can't wait for the next car show where I will no doubt present the only Javelin in attendance
    Joe D. sacramento ca. March 13, 2016 at 08:16
    rescued my 73 p code 4 speed javelin from a 16 year life sitting in a walnut orchard. took a year getting her road worthy. love the car and have lots of fun driving her on the weekends.still runs strong for a unrestored original car.
    Dennis Helferich Cincinnati May 3, 2016 at 10:11
    I bought my first Javelin AMX in early 1975. A used 72' that had the 360 V8 and Hurst 4 speed. I sold that after a couple of years and missed that car from the day I sold it. I bought another in the winter of 1984. It was a 73' with the same 360 V8 and Hurst 4 speed. I spent the next several years restoring the car. I had that car until 2005 when I sold it to a guy in Kansas City Mo. Once again I missed my AMX. Then in early April of this year I saw the my old AMX up for auction on Ebay. Long story short I have my 73' AMX back and will never sell it again. I have always thought the 71'-74' Javelin AMX was one of the coolest muscle cars ever built.