19 March 2014

Video: Frank Hagerty’s Dunesmobile Dream

In its heyday, this ’48 Ford spent more time on the sand than Frankie Avalon and Annette Funicello in “Beach Blanket Bingo.”

Growing up in Detroit tends to shape one’s view of the automobile, particularly if your dad is an automotive paint representative and you got to meet Henry Ford once or twice. For Frank Hagerty, his interest in cars was reinforced when the family traded camping vacations for a summer home in northern Michigan. The Hagerty cottage wasn’t far from Glen Haven, where the Warnes family ran beach tours on the dramatic Sleeping Bear Dunes in what Louis Warnes called his “Dunesmobiles.” Briefly one summer, Frank’s dream came true and he got to drive one of the gleaming balloon tire-equipped 1948 Ford convertibles that comprised the fleet at the time.

As life moved on and he started a career as an insurance agent with his wife, Louise, and began raising a family, his love of cars and wooden boats still held a big role. Along came a wrecked 1956 T-Bird he restored and later there was a 1933 Ford pickup restoration project. Then there was a restoration project with each of his three children, Kim, Tammy and McKeel, which resulted in the first car for each of them.

But in the back of Frank’s mind he always wondered what had happened to those 1948 Dunesmobiles, and finally in 2011 an accidental meeting led him to the very car he’d driven for one week back in the early 1950s. Here’s the story of the Dunesmobile that Frank and McKeel Hagerty found and returned to northern Michigan where it belongs, though it just did have a short detour to the Amelia Island in Florida, where it just won its class.

doug courtenay CA March 20, 2014 at 15:05
    Thanks for sharing - brought tears to my eyes and how I miss my own dad. My prayers are with you and your family.
    Brian Lisbon, Ohio March 20, 2014 at 15:05
    What a wonderful tribute to great man with a great vision. God Bless Him and his Family.
    Mike Gollotto Cocoa, FL March 20, 2014 at 15:15
    Wonderful story and our condolences to The Hagerty family.
    Dee Goldin Buchanan, Ga March 20, 2014 at 15:17
    I am so sorry for your loss.
    Guy Ogan Texas March 20, 2014 at 15:18
    What an absolutely wonderful story! Thank you so much for sharing it and your father's passion for finding and bringing No. 9 back to its home. The fact that he got to see it win its class at one of the premier automotive concourse events is heart warming...hard to type with tears in my eyes.
    Larry Rodriguez Santa Fe, New Mexico March 20, 2014 at 15:22
    My condolences to the family, but what a life and what a way to go. And finding the car in New Mexico, which with the weather and some help is kind to old cars. Seems to me that I may have seen the car, but I go to a lot of shows and sometimes show a car, it's really hard to say if I really did see the car. Again What A Find, Like they say, In my back yard.
    Mark Sabbann Stillwater, MN March 20, 2014 at 15:24
    As is the case with many beautiful stories, they include both joy and sadness. And in this case the story includes a car, one that brought both joy and sadness to Frank. It is so cool that he got to experience it all and to have it crowned with the win at Amelia. Rest in Peace Frank.
    westhoven orlando, florida March 20, 2014 at 15:25
    very nice, very nice indeed. glad he was able to live his dream. thank you for sharing
    jeff smith Fairburn ga March 20, 2014 at 15:30
    What a wonder full story.
    Scott Perry Simi Valley, CA March 20, 2014 at 15:31
    Great story, very well done. So glad Frank got to see the project through. Rest in peace.
    Gordon United States March 20, 2014 at 15:31
    A truly great story. Thank you for sharing it.
    Mike Atlanta, GA March 20, 2014 at 15:41
    A beautiful story. Thank you.
    Larry Martensson Albany, NY March 20, 2014 at 15:42
    McKeel, a very touching story about your dad and his quest. Thank you and God Bless..
    Dan Hoogen Tacoma March 20, 2014 at 15:47
    Very sweet, thank you for sharing that wonderful story.
    Norman Aguilar Norwalk, CA. March 20, 2014 at 16:01
    WOW number 9 was really significant! He is now cruising in streets of gold and curbs of silver and Insured by the best this side of Heaven. My Condolences...
    Lynette Lee MHBT, Inc - Dallas March 20, 2014 at 16:07
    This video of your father, Frank Hagerty, truly blessed me! He has left quite a legacy and I know he will be missed. My prayers are with you and your family.
    Tom Stine Stuart, FL March 20, 2014 at 16:08
    McKeel, So sorry to hear about your Dad's passing. A wonderful tribute you have created for him here. The car and he looked great at Amelia.
    george Georgia March 20, 2014 at 16:14
    What a Great story!!!! I have a 66 Shevelle, Ha, in the barn that has never been out run on the street. I would love to restore. Maybe one day.
    Richard S. Spencer, West Virginia March 20, 2014 at 16:14
    Thank you Frank. Thank you Jonathan. Thank you McKeel. Cheers.
    Everett Anton Singer Carmel Valley, C A March 20, 2014 at 16:20
    Outstanding and moving story of Frank's vision and determination. As he said "never give up". Thanks for sharing this inspirational story today and condolences to the Hagerty family.
    Bruce Hasenfang Virginia March 20, 2014 at 16:33
    Great tribute to Frank. Reminds me of my father from the same era who grew up spending his summers on Lake Michigan near the same area.
    Ted Schofield Camp Verde, AZ March 20, 2014 at 16:36
    Was a touching story, it's something I think our kids today may never understand, to love an inanimate object like a car, but I bet there are few out there that haven't patted the dash and said, "thanks baby" after avoiding an accident, achieving an event, or just a thumbs up from people, like you who remember the joy of not just driving, but "motoring" in you favorite car...memories you can ride in...how cool is that? My condolences to the Hagerty Family, and the extended family as well...the Dunesmobile of our times , lives within all of us car nut's...cheers
    Ken Nicks Elkin, NC March 20, 2014 at 16:38
    Fabulous story ! My condolences to the Hagerty family. May the Peace that surpasses all understanding be with you all !
    Dave Anfang Hugo, MN March 20, 2014 at 16:42
    McKeel, It's obvious that I missed a great deal in not having met your father... He reminds me of my own. Take Frank's memory for a ride each time you drive the olds'.
    Gary Zatkovich Santa Rosa, CA March 20, 2014 at 17:07
    Great story,.....my son and I share our passion for old cars, as did my father so many years ago. May Frank rest in peace.
    Warren Aplin Jupiter, FL March 20, 2014 at 17:07
    Wow!!!! Sorry for your loss, but a fitting end, all be it too soon! A car guys dream way to go. We were at Amelia, what a treat. Thanks for sharing.
    Tom Reilly Niagara Falls NY March 20, 2014 at 17:07
    Really nice story, sorry for your loss.
    Harvey British Columbia March 20, 2014 at 17:09
    Thank you for sharing. Best wishes and condolences to friends and family.
    greg buchwald Crystal Lake, IL March 20, 2014 at 17:09
    An amazing and moving story. My father is the same age as Frank; still with us. He started as a VW mechanic and instilled a love of cars in me at a very young age. It is a sad time but also a time to remember, smile, and be thankful for the passions passed to us by our fathers.
    R Brannon Lawrenceville, Ga March 20, 2014 at 17:13
    What an awesome love story of the stuff that makes our passion for cars, and this country great! May your family be comforted richly by God especially during these sorrowful hours. God restores lives, through Christ, like Frank restored cars. May the love affair with cars continue to roll on and never end! Bless the Hagerty's.
    Sharon Morrison Baldwin Park, CA March 20, 2014 at 17:13
    What a wonderful story. Thank you so much for sharing it! So glad fate brought him and this beloved automobile together and he finished his dream before he passed on. What a great ending!
    Bob Amaral Broomfield, Colorado March 20, 2014 at 17:13
    What a beautiful story and a wonderful tribute to a man who was obviously a beautiful person and an inspiration to many. Thank you for sharing and my heartfelt condolences to you and your family.
    Ellen Wlodarczyk Lackawanna, NY March 20, 2014 at 17:18
    My condolences to The Hagerty family. Thank you for sharing such a beautiful story.
    Warren Payne Petaluma, CA March 20, 2014 at 17:19
    I lost my father four years ago who was the same age as Frank. He would have loved this story as I do. Thanks for sharing. My heart goes out to you and your family. Keep the love for cars, people and memories alive!
    Asa Godbold Florence, SC March 20, 2014 at 17:23
    The kind of father everyone wishes he had; what a legacy he has left. My condolences.
    Andrew Tarantino Manchester, VT March 20, 2014 at 17:24
    Thank you for sharing! Great to hear all about! Lost my Dad this year too! Never give up! Peace Andy in VT
    Gary Edwards Kernersville,NC March 20, 2014 at 17:31
    Wonderful story with a sad ending. My condolences to the Hagerty family.
    Kenneth Dallas Tx March 20, 2014 at 17:31
    Great tribute to Frank
    Ed Ward Virginia March 20, 2014 at 17:38
    Very, very touching indeed! Thanks for sharing.
    Smitty akron ohio March 20, 2014 at 17:46
    Fantastic,and heart warming story. may you rest in peace and god bless you Frank.For those interested i have my car insured thru Hagerty. i have a 1957 Ford Country Sedan station wagoni have owned since i was 17.thank you for sharing this heat warming story,sincerly Smitty
    Herring Lawton, OK March 20, 2014 at 17:47
    Love the video. Blessings to your family.
    Doris Magulick Hallmark Agency, Grand Blanc, MI March 20, 2014 at 17:54
    Wow!That story is powerful to say the least. You have my sincere sympathy, loosing a parent is never easy.
    Richard Baines Stevensville, MD March 20, 2014 at 17:55
    Great tribute! Very sorry for your loss!
    John Ohio March 20, 2014 at 18:00
    It seems as though both #9 and your Dad had one more wish to complete before passing it on and taking it easy, that appears to have been fulfilled. I as so many of us miss both my Dad and Mom, but the memories, such as you shared with all of us live on. God Bless you and your family.
    Michael Brock Studio City, CA March 20, 2014 at 18:02
    What a touching and wonderful testament to your father ... and what wonderful memories you'll always have of him. Thanks for sharing and prayers to you and your family.
    Larry E Gilbert 35 miles NE of INDY March 20, 2014 at 18:05
    Great story to read and video to watch thanks for sharing
    Charles Spiher Detour Village, Michigan March 20, 2014 at 18:07
    To some this is only about a car. And only about a man. If they only knew.
    T.C. McEvoy Wellington, Nevada March 20, 2014 at 18:16
    God speed Mr. Hagerty, those memories of your father are priceless. Thanks for sharing.
    Jim Murdock Jr. Harwinton Ct. March 20, 2014 at 18:23
    Never give up! a statement that says it all Rest in Peace Mr. Hagerty
    Phil B Boston, MA March 20, 2014 at 18:28
    Wonderful way to remember a great father... What a happy story.. He would be proud
    Lawrence Siegel Orinda, California March 20, 2014 at 18:31
    Very touching and meaningful story. I have a Diamond T 1948 model 210 restored pickup truck that has a similar "go back to youth" attraction. Thanks for sharing.
    James Shavor New Orleans March 20, 2014 at 18:39
    Thanks for the wonderful story. Our loved ones live on every time a story about them is passed on in the true nature of the oral tradition. My condolences for your loss...but the car enthusiasts will always carry on the legacy of your dad...and all the others like him.
    Fred Mount Morris NY March 20, 2014 at 18:46
    That was a great story! Glad his dream came true. My condolences to the Hagerty family.
    John Ollis Danville Indiana March 20, 2014 at 18:50
    What a Wonderful Man and a loss to the car collectors everywhere. He has touched a lot of lives over the years and wish I had got to meet him. Sorry for your loss and God Bless You and Your Family.
    Fred Michigan March 20, 2014 at 19:07
    Thanks so much for sharing this story. My condolences to you and the family.
    Brooks Decker Novi, MI March 20, 2014 at 19:09
    Never having had the opportunity to have met your Dad, how special a man he was shines through so brightly. Thank you McKeel and the Hagerty family for sharing your story. As a native Michigander and having rode on those dunes, it brought back many memories. What a blessing his life was to so many.
    Robert Blood United States March 20, 2014 at 19:09
    What a wonderful story. My heartfelt condolences to the Hagerty family for the loss of their father.
    Jeff H. Virginia Beach March 20, 2014 at 19:11
    Thanks for sharing this great story with such a sad ending. Truly sorry for your loss, Never Give Up, indeed!
    Marty Dippel Abingdon, MD March 20, 2014 at 19:16
    McKeel, I lost my dad about four years ago. He was my best friend too. We shared a love for cars like you and your dad. I loved the story. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.
    Karrie Kiel Muskegon MI March 20, 2014 at 19:18
    What a wonderful story, thank you for sharing with us. What a nice tribute to your Father so sorry for your loss. How wonderful that his dream came true before passing.
    Rick Reinstein Colchester, VT March 20, 2014 at 19:18
    Rest in peace, Frank. Thanks for sharing.
    Tim McDonald Ada, MI March 20, 2014 at 19:19
    What a wonderful blend of cars, family and life. Thanks so much for sharing. Our thoughts are with your family
    Douglas Breithaupt Port Townsend, WA March 20, 2014 at 19:20
    This makes me proud to have my special cars insured with Hagerty, a company that clearly understands how our lives are tied to these amazing machines. My very best to you and your family at this time of loss.
    Raquel Brighton,MI March 20, 2014 at 19:22
    It is nice that you miss you dad , and that you have fond memories of him. Know that he had a Great Life .....
    Jim Case Oceanside, CA March 20, 2014 at 19:36
    Thanks for the wonderful presentation of a wonderful story and condolences on Frank's passing.
    C Wayne Burns Fredericton NB Canada March 20, 2014 at 19:37
    I am so sorry for your loss. Please accept my deepest sympathy. Thank you for the video. It is so good to see his passion for this vehicle. Peace be with you.
    Russ Cashdollar West Hurley, N.Y. March 20, 2014 at 19:38
    First and foremost, so sorry to hear of your loss. My condolences to you and your family. Thank you for sharing the story for others as myself to enjoy. Very nice tribute. Car is #9...Car wins show on the 9th...and then the unfortunate passing of your Dad 9 days later....it can all tell a story...what that may be we will never know. Again, sorry for your loss.
    Alfredo Virgen San Bernardino, California March 20, 2014 at 19:47
    My deepest condolences to the Hagerty family. What a great job in sharing a story in his life. Having lost my father 3 yrs ago at age 52, I am thankful you got to spend many more years and precious moments of this car project together. Keeping his dreams & memories alive is one way I have found to help ease the pain of such a undescribable loss. I am currently restoring my dad's 1936 Buick and as a new member I can see I chose the right company. There was nothing but love in your video. It touched my heart. Thank you. So sorry for your loss.
    Lynn Reyelts Denver, CO March 20, 2014 at 19:48
    What a great tribute to Frank Hagerty! Our condolences to the Hagerty family on the passing of Frank. And our thanks for a great company watching over the memories of our early day rides!
    Matt Swierzewski Sellersville, PA March 20, 2014 at 19:49
    Thank you for sharing such a wonderful story about your Dad and the fulfillment of a dream. As I watched the video I, too was reminded of my Dad and how much I miss him. My condolences to you and your family. May God comfort you all, now and always.
    Grant Houda Westchester, Il March 20, 2014 at 19:53
    My deepest condolences to the Hagerty Family.Great story and tribute to your Dad.
    Greg Sarni Melrose, MA March 20, 2014 at 19:56
    My condolences to the Hagerty family. I lost my Dad in August, but cultivated my car passion through his example. I'll remember him always through the car he gave me for my college graduation; a 1963 Buick Riviera. It is not for sale. Here's to our Fathers!
    Jim Jennings Cleveland, OH March 20, 2014 at 20:02
    A very touching story. I think what is important with all the classic cars I see is the stories and the dreams of the people around them that they have touched through the years. Your Dad was able to go back in time to relive a special moment in his life, and that is always nice to see happen. On the day your Dad had passed, I was purchasing a 1939 De Soto similar to a car my Dad had once owned. Thanks for sharing this story and cherish all those family memories.
    Dick Franks Greenville, IL March 20, 2014 at 20:11
    I feel as though I know you as a member of the Hagerty " family" of insurance. Last summer my wife and I visited Sleeping Bear for the first time and traveled the traverse Bay Area as well. The video was touching and well done. Your dad would be proud of you. My sincere condolences.
    Ron Ross Akron, Ohio March 20, 2014 at 20:13
    I too was touched by the video of your Dad and his passion for that special 48 Ford. I see Frank and I are close to the same age and I also have a similar passion for a special car that belonged to my son Ronnie. He too is no longer with us but seeing his 1970 Pontiac GTO that is now in storage reminds me of the fun days when he drove it and how much he loved that car! Thanks for sharing your story.
    Sue Mossyrock, WA March 20, 2014 at 20:17
    What a touching story. Thank you for sharing and nice to think that now Frank is being "chauffeured"!
    Richard and Audrey Deming Hastings,Mi. March 20, 2014 at 20:26
    McKeel and family, Sending our condolences to all of you. He will be greatly missed by many. We met your father once at your Traverse City Car Show. He voted our 1955 Cadillac Convertible Best of Show there that year. Later we purchased your 1956 Ford Park Lane Wagon, which has now been completely restored, we and many of our friends enjoy it very much. We have all of our Classic cars insured with your Company, which feels like family. So sorry for your loss.
    Tony Chance Brea, California March 20, 2014 at 20:27
    Great story - thanks for sharing. Condolences from a fellow classic car and wooden boat owner. They have been insured with Hagerty for many years, thanks to Frank and his family.
    Roby Ballard United States March 20, 2014 at 20:31
    McKeel, I just wanted to say how sorry I am for your loss, but how happy I am for the memories that you and your family got to make with such a wonderful father. I too lost my father [and best friend] too soon, but the memories we made together still bring me nothing but smiles and laughter. Wishing you and your family peace and happiness. - R. Ballard [a happy Hagerty customer].
    Robert Rawson Sarah, MS March 20, 2014 at 20:35
    Quite the story of a fine man's search and glory. May his memory encourage all.
    bob joyce El Sobrante Ca. March 20, 2014 at 20:37
    Duane Tenney Ashtabula, Oh March 20, 2014 at 20:41
    Sorry for your loss,you have some happy memories of your dad to cherish for your life time, God Bless
    Daryl Staehle Seattle WA March 20, 2014 at 20:49
    I grew up in Detroit-Daddy work at Ford. I remember the Dunesmobiles at Sleeping Bear as a kid-a great memory shared. Deepest regrets on the passing of your father, Daryl
    Pat Mickevicius Canterbury, England March 20, 2014 at 21:00
    What a special video and touching tribute to Frank, the father, founder, friend, and fancier of historic motor vehicles. My sincerest sympathy to his family and friends for their loss. May each of you find peace and comfort at this time with your fond and special memories of Frank. Sincerely, Pat (Michiganian ex-patriot)
    Scott Kiederlen Lake Villa, IL March 20, 2014 at 21:07
    Great story, so sorry for your loss
    Tom Kerwin Clearwater, Fl March 20, 2014 at 21:29
    What a nice tribute to your dad, our prayers and thoughts are with you during this difficult time
    Ray Lopez Pinecrest Florida March 20, 2014 at 21:50
    You have our condolences. Reminds me of my Dad and our 1947 Ford P/U. Great memories Take care
    Dan Yonkovig starksboro Vermont March 20, 2014 at 22:04
    Philip McKinney Orlando, FL March 20, 2014 at 22:13
    I'm so sorry for your loss. What an awesome legacy he left! Blessings on all. Philip McKinney
    Lance Harrington Greensboro, NC March 20, 2014 at 22:14
    Thank you for sharing such an inspiring story. Sorry for your loss, but what a great way to go!!
    Mark Emann Lawrenceville, NJ March 20, 2014 at 22:32
    Thank you so much for posting this video. Very inspiring. "Never give up…" I wish your father well on his next journey.
    Greg Zizian Niagara Falls Canada March 20, 2014 at 22:38
    What a beautiful video Sorry fore the loss of your dad. Rest in peace Mr Hagerty.God give strength to the family during this time.
    Scott Avenell San Diego, California March 20, 2014 at 22:48
    Thank you for sharing this wonderful story of a car and a man I never met but whom I now miss.
    Ernie Shack Scottsdale, AZ March 20, 2014 at 22:52
    Wonderful story and tribute to your Dad! Sincerest condolences to the family! Respectfully, Ernie Shack
    Denny De Land, FL March 20, 2014 at 22:59
    Oh my Gosh...loved that story.
    Erik L Jensen Capistrano Beach CA. USA. March 20, 2014 at 23:00
    I loved the story and the video in memory of Sr. He has left a legacy for me to follow. Because I have a near perfect 1949 GMC 1 ton truck.....and a 1969 VW Baja Bug which I am going to restore...that goes good on the Dunes too! Thanks for sharing this important news.
    Al Herndon Florida March 20, 2014 at 23:20
    What a pure class act Frank was. I feel like a part of the Hagerty family. Thanks for sharing this beautiful tribute to a great man.
    Eddie Vance Goodyear Arizona March 20, 2014 at 23:26
    Very Sorry for your Loss, the 48 is my favorite too, Proud to be a Hagerty policy holder.
    WILLIAM SMITH WICKENBURG,AZ March 20, 2014 at 23:34
    Great Video Sorry For Your Loss
    Robert Bell Graham wash. March 20, 2014 at 23:37
    great video and tribute
    Alan Dwy Poughkeepsie N.Y. March 20, 2014 at 23:39
    A beautiful tribute to your dear father. I lost my father a couple years ago and know the empty feeling that it leaves. May he rest in peace. My heartfelt condolences go out to the Hagerty family and all his friends. I am so sorry for your loss. God bless and Thank you Hagerty family for great insurance!
    Richard Shelley Wappinger Falls, NY March 21, 2014 at 13:29
    So sorry for your loss......what a great story about the dunesmoblile and your fathers love for it......
    Charles Malone Huntsville AL March 21, 2014 at 13:36
    Thank you so much for sharing this. "Car People" are important to each other, and your Dad is special to us.
    Rob Butryn, MD (happy hagerty customer) Leland, Mi March 21, 2014 at 14:13
    McKeel, I still remember spending time together growing up and how your dad took the time to paint my motorcycle gas tank while in the process of restoring your 67 Porsche. His kindness during our youth is not forgotten. This video is a wonderful representation of your father. I am very sorry for your loss. May you and your family be filled with peace in this time of mourning.
    Ronald Kellogg whittier calif March 21, 2014 at 14:54
    JUST WISH to thank you all for such a touching story, and may I say, I have owned many cars over the years, & my dad was a real estate owner for many yrs, and always bought Buick's, and I asked him why not buy a CAD,and he said people might think he made to much money, so finial bought a Cad, and for the rest of his life, that was the only cars he bought, and I am so sorry for your lost of your father, as i think of how outstanding my dad was, and don't think i ever told him how much he did for the family, and thanks for honoring your dad, we have mate many of your staff over the years, and I can tell they are a happy group, and I am such this STANDARD will always be there for all of us. Very Best Regards Ronald Kellogg in Whittier Calif
    Jan Vanderwal Longview, Texas March 21, 2014 at 14:57
    McKeel, Sorry for your loss. I lost my Dad almost a year ago now. I have an old Jeep truck that I had started the restoration just before his passing. I drive it now and it reminds me of my Dad. Condolences to your family.
    Ed Dubrovin Cumming, Ga. March 21, 2014 at 15:16
    I am a long time customer of Hagerty Ins. and had the pleasure of seeing this video before. This time around it was so much more inspiring. Those older gentlemen are very cool. He must have had a great life story. Thanks so much for sharing a little piece of your dad with us. He is the type of person you want to do business with. Very sorry for your loss.....
    John Crews Dayton, OH March 21, 2014 at 04:03
    Beautiful story! I lost my father last summer and God blessed us with some great times before he left. I can't help but see God's hand in this story, how he brought this man's love for life and cars full circle. May God continue to bless you.
    Bob Krutke Milwaukee Wi. March 21, 2014 at 17:04
    Thank you so much for sharing the story of the Dunesmobile, and your father's love of the car and it's wonderful memories! My condolences to you and your family for your loss.
    Terry Bowman Howard City, Mi March 21, 2014 at 05:21
    What a wonderful legacy. With as happy ending as possible. Thank You.Terry
    Patrick Schubert Romeo,Mi March 21, 2014 at 17:27
    Condolences,Frank was a person I wish I had Meet. I can relate, I still have my Dad's 1960 Austin Healey.
    Andy Startz Victoria TX March 21, 2014 at 05:34
    I know car lovers feel so deeply for you, & Dad My lst-love was a '55 TB the Coke man drove. Cost $3,450 new. I thought if I get a job $50 a wk, "gonna get me one"...Well, I did, & I DID. But not for $3,450. Memories of old cars remind us of all our youth and their greatness of them & our Dads, our family. To U and yours, thx & thx for sharing. A wonderful tribute to you, and him. Andy S
    DANIEL CRANFORD LAKE GREGORY, CA. March 21, 2014 at 17:39
    Wonderful story!
    Robert Portland Or. March 21, 2014 at 05:44
    For a car guy, this is as good as it gets. Peace to you Frank.
    Daryl Wade Athens Ontario Canada March 21, 2014 at 18:20
    It was good to see how much the car meant to him, a brief glimpse and moments in his past. Thank you for sharing, sorry for your loss.
    Don Egerer Saginaw March 21, 2014 at 06:31
    What a great story,thanks for sharing,finding the 48 made your Fathers life complete
    Chuck Karr Salisbury, NC March 21, 2014 at 06:38
    A fitting tribute to a truly great innovator and classic car guy who enjoyed a long prosperous life. Thanks for the memories and perpetuating the legacy of the classic car hobby!!
    Mark Ohio March 21, 2014 at 07:06
    A very moving video tribute to your father. I lost my 80 yr old dad on Jan 23 this year. I have my Riviera convertible insured with you. A great company. God bless you and your family at this time.
    Mike Salerno Port St. Lucie, Fl. March 21, 2014 at 07:53
    Great tribute to Frank - As a history teacher & classic car collector, this video was amazing. I know a lot of work & love went into the production of "Finding #9". In 1948, Americans were feeling optimistic now that the War was over. It was people like Frank that made this country great. I believe the video should be expanded into a full-length movie - start off in 1934, year Frank was born, go to 1948 when car was made, to early 50's when Frank drove tours & all the way to Amelia Island & of course, 11 days after when Frank departed. Hagerty could do a casting call for cars ranging from the 30's to now. Just a thought.
    Ed Wiesmuller Anaheim, CA March 21, 2014 at 19:58
    This video truly displays a genuine example of a man and his passion for classic cars--particularly the one he truly wanted. Every classic car enthusiast can relate to it. And God speed.
    Richard Polleri Long island NY March 21, 2014 at 20:15
    Thank you for sharing this beautiful story with everyone.My prayers go out to you and your family. He will forever be riding with god!!
    Robert Doetker Lincoln Ne March 21, 2014 at 08:35
    Your father is like a fine car. You think of him and it brings back great memories and puts a smile on your face. Sorry for your loss.
    Edward Balzano Selden New York March 21, 2014 at 08:44
    Sorry for your loss, you will always have him in your heart . all the memories will be their too. lost my dad when i was seven and I always think of him.
    Bill C Somers, CT March 21, 2014 at 20:49
    What a great story and video. Congratulations on having a wonderful Dad and as others have said, it made me think of my Dad too and the memories I have of him.
    Colin Hall Winnetka, IL March 21, 2014 at 09:02
    My first job at age 8 was shining shoes at Robertson's barber shop. My second job at age 10 was lawn care at Frank's first office. I learned a lot that summer about hard work and responsibility. Here's to you Frank!
    Mike Proud Oswego, New York March 21, 2014 at 09:24
    What a wonderful story and tribute to your father. I am very sorry for your families loss.
    Melissa Homen Rock Spring Ga. March 21, 2014 at 09:27
    Thank you for sharing so glad he was able to pursue this very well done he will be missed. Hold on to all the great memories you shared with him.
    Sandy Westland, MI March 21, 2014 at 09:30
    Very moving story and tribute. It's a piece of Michigan history I was not aware of and I can't wait to share it with my children that love Sleeping Bear Dunes.
    Greg Olusczak Lakeland, FL. March 21, 2014 at 09:58
    So sorry to hear about Frank. I lost both of my parents years back and I know how you all feel. I bet you can picture him driving #9 on the sand dunes in Heaven right now! God Bless you all.
    jim mccaffrey sarasota, fl March 21, 2014 at 10:03
    am sad for your loss and happy that you have a car you can continue to bond with your father. my father's last car was a 70 skylark and i think of him every time i drive it. thank you for helping me keep it.
    Brad & Debbie Lane Bunnell, Florida March 21, 2014 at 22:18
    Meaningful tribute to your Dad. A legend in and now after his time. Our condolences and God bless.
    Chris Arkansas March 21, 2014 at 10:28
    So sorry for your families loss. That was a really touching story. Your father changed the collector car business for millions of us. Thank you FH.
    Arden Dorney Weatherford, OK March 21, 2014 at 10:30
    What a wonderful story. I'm not ashamed to say I watched it through watery eyes. An amazing man with an amazing goal. I'm proud to be a Hagerty customer... Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful video tribute with us all. I would imagine he is running around the dunes in Heaven in his own #9.
    Dusty Jennings Raymond, MS March 21, 2014 at 10:31
    Beautiful tribute to a life well lived. Thank you for sharing with us and may God continue to bless your family.
    Larry Werre Milwaukie, Oregon March 21, 2014 at 10:34
    Thank you for sharing this story and for letting us be a part of your family and history and now to be a part of your fathers dream with our own cars My prayers and blessing go out to you and your family
    Roger A Perry Port Jervis NY March 21, 2014 at 10:42
    WOW. I lost my Dad last Easter Sunday. You need to cherish the moments when you can. The love of family and of the classics is definitely shown here which makes Hagerty more than just an insurance company. God bless Mr. Hagerty,my thoughts and prayers go out to the family. As #9 found its way to him, he has found his way!
    Mike lippe Stratford, WI March 21, 2014 at 10:44
    Rest in peace. Frank Great story about chasing your boyhood memories and finding them again. My boyhood vacations were spent in northern WI where I now live. Thank you for insuring my 1967 Shelby for over six years.
    Dave Morrell Garden City, Mi. March 21, 2014 at 23:08
    What a great story, it warms the heart. I to lost my father this year, Feb.4, he was 94. He lived a good life and loved old cars. I have many fond memories of us working side-by-side restoring old cars. Frank, I hope you meet my father in heaven, you'll have a lot of stories to tell.... Sorry for the families loss, God Bless.
    Dave Carlsen Algonquin, IL March 21, 2014 at 11:25
    Your company has helped me and gone beyond just insurance, so now I know where the inspiration came from. Wonderful & well deserved tribute.
    Jeff Roessler Saan Clemente, CA March 21, 2014 at 11:37
    This brought back so many memories....working on motorcycles and cars with a father who had been a tool & die maker as a young man and who had a passion for "a job well done". Somehow, you have to believe that your Dad was meant to take this one last ride that was so important to him.
    Joe Mech Bergen, NY March 21, 2014 at 11:43
    Great tribute to Frank! Happy to see his dream of the 48 Dunesmobile come true before his passing. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the Hagerty Family at this time. JOE
    Mac Carter Wichita, KS March 21, 2014 at 23:58
    My dad was in the insurance business too. He almwYs said he wanted to own a Cadillac and an airplane. Never made it as he died at the early age of 58. I am in my 70's now and have accomplished half his goal...have an 80 Eldorado but no plane. Your tribute brought back lots of memories. Thanks for sharing.
    Jim Jennings Cleveland, OH March 21, 2014 at 00:05
    Jack Rossi MAYO, FLORIDA March 21, 2014 at 00:09
    Bless your dad, i have my cars insured by your outfit... A 1930 chevy pickup and a 1925 model t rn-a- bout..lived in ich over 15 years and never heard of the dunes now 87 and can't travel far...
    Jeff J Waukesha, WI March 21, 2014 at 12:10
    Very nice tribute! special meaning for my family, as we are afflicted with the car bug, and Hagerty gave our son his first job out of college. what a wonderful story, that you have shared beautifully!
    Richard Poteracki Mt. Prospect, Illinois March 21, 2014 at 00:15
    How I wish I had a video of my late father like you have. I'd watch it over and over, and I'm sure you do. Wonderful story, and so sorry for your loss.
    Frank La Forge Wichita March 21, 2014 at 12:16
    The classic car collectors of the world owe a big debt of gratitude to Frank Haggerty, may he live in our hearts forever!
    Jerry Miller Albuquerque, NM March 21, 2014 at 00:29
    Grew up on Glen Lake (Tamarack Cove). Drove the 65 Ford Pickups for about 4 summers. Louie modified my truck #24 with a special roof over the driver as I got sun poisoning one year. Best job ever! Great story!!
    Jim Van O. Whitefish Bay, Wi. March 21, 2014 at 12:35
    Really a wonderful story about your Dad and the Dunesmobile. My wife and I saw it at Amelia this year and I told her of Frank's lengthy search which I had read about earlier. I too, inherited my love of automobiles from my father and miss our regular conversations about what's new in the arena. My sincere condolences to the Hagerty family, friends and staff. Thank you for sharing the story.
    Mike Reddy Chandler, Az March 21, 2014 at 12:44
    Wow, Great story! Doesn't this story speak to the power of his (or all of our) love for historic vehicles. I am so very sorry to read of the loss of your father but still happy that he was able to make the video with you and him about the Dunesmobile.
    Bill Puskas Oakland Ca. March 22, 2014 at 15:53
    Very nice story and a very nice man. Thank you for sharing it....
    Bob Buterbaugh Hilton Head Island, SC March 22, 2014 at 17:41
    My condolences to The Hagerty family. It is amazing the connections Dads and sons make with an automobile. Every time I drive Dad's Cadillac I have such great memories, its as if he is in the car with me! Enjoy those memories!!!
    Robbie Greene Miami,Florida March 22, 2014 at 19:47
    Great Story & Great Tribute...........I'm glad to have my car insured by Hagerty...................
    Rob Petrie New York March 22, 2014 at 20:41
    My condolences and prayers go out to you and your family. Seemed like a really great man...
    RON D'ANDREA ORCHARD PARK, NY March 22, 2014 at 08:56
    bo stewart akron,ohio March 22, 2014 at 10:39
    it was very heart warming to review your video with your dad.i only wish I had the pleasure to have met him.i'm 85 yrs old,and your video reminds me of the 1948 ford I once owned..just to hear that v/8 flat head run,was alwys a turn on.i currently have three cars insured by you,and thanks to your dad.i appreciate the coverage.i'm sorry for your loss,but with out a doubt,the world is a better place for him to have been it.
    Regina Sims Lowell, Arkansas March 22, 2014 at 00:39
    Thank you for sharing this wonderful story of your Father and No. 9. What a heart warming video. God bless all of you during this difficult time. I'm so thankful for Hagerty Insurance and the exceptional customer service they provide. Your company will always be the one I use for my old car. Rest in peace Frank.
    Quentin Holmes Columbus, Ohio March 22, 2014 at 12:45
    Sorry to hear about the loss of your father. Nothing can replace that. But the fact that you were able to make this short story and he as able to drive the car and see it win, will be something that will never be forgotten. I am passing on my love for cars to my son and daughter, which my father passed on to me. I want to keep sharing it with them to keep the love going for generations to come. Thanks for sharing it with us.
    ken ma. March 23, 2014 at 14:52
    good man I know you will miss him, sorry
    Edward Peabody Wakefield Mass. March 23, 2014 at 17:14
    Thank you for a story on the Dunesmobile fleet of cars that I didn't know about. What a great tribute to Mr. hagerty, and the fact he knew it won such a big award. Brought a tear to my eyes, Thank You for the story.
    John Krejci St. Louis MO March 23, 2014 at 17:38
    Great story and truly sorry for your loss. I feel similar about a vehicle my grandpa had a 54 Ford woody wagon that I would love to find, just unsure how to go about it.
    John D Berzsenyi Linden, MI March 23, 2014 at 18:35
    What a wonderful story and memory of your Father. So sorry for your loss.
    A Shorey lisbon,me. March 23, 2014 at 09:03
    Thank you for sharing such a great story. I know I'm not alone when I say he will be sadly missed by all in the classic auto world. Thank you so much Frank.
    Ron Brake Clemmons,NC March 23, 2014 at 12:19
    What a Fabulous, Heart Warming tribute to Frank Hagerty….Thank you for sharing.
    Jerry N.Carolina March 23, 2014 at 00:20
    God bless you and your family at this time.
    Carlo Fodera Staten Island, NY March 24, 2014 at 13:17
    It was a touching memorial to a good man. He seemed to love his family, friends and his cars.
    Mel Monsher Los Angeles, Ca March 24, 2014 at 04:05
    A love of father, family, and cars.....fine story and condolences.
    Frank Montgomery Enterprise Ontario Canada March 24, 2014 at 18:16
    Tom LaChiusa Rochester, NY March 24, 2014 at 20:21
    What a wonderful heartwarming story. Your dad caught up to his dream car. Thanks for sharing this.
    Brenda King Traverse City, Michigan March 24, 2014 at 09:43
    Your dad was a great guy - we were competitors and friends. We used to have a lot of fun at agents meetings with him back in the early 80's. He also frequented my husband's garage when he was building one of those cars. I worked for Fawcett/Dopke Agency back then. So sorry for your loss.
    Kim Williams Longwood, FL March 24, 2014 at 10:06
    Great tribute to a great man. I am sorry for your loss.
    Dale Flowney Au Gres, MI March 25, 2014 at 13:39
    Thank you for giving me this glimpse of you Father through this wonderful video. One of my fondest memories was riding with my folks in a red & white Oldsmobile convertible Dunes Mobile at the age of 10. You truly floated over the dunes and I truly appreciate Franks passion for old #9. God Bless.
    Ross Leck Lansing, Illinois March 25, 2014 at 15:36
    Although never personally meeting your father, I am grateful you shared his story with us and continue carrying on with his legacy. I have come to know about Glen Lake and the Sleeping Bear Dunes because of him. Very sorry for your loss.
    Noteware Davison/Traverse City,MI March 26, 2014 at 14:05
    What a beautiful dream come true.Thanks for sharing this touching story and our sympathy to your precious family.What a wonderful man to not only enjoy his own passion the way he did, but share it with all of us.It's great to be from Michigan and Mr. H is the perfect example of a spirit that will live on because he gave and got so much from our wonderful state.Rest in peace.
    Elisabeth Butte des Morts, WI March 26, 2014 at 17:33
    A loving tribute to your dad. How wonderful that he was able to see his beloved auto again. I love to walk on the beaches in Florida! What fun it would be to drive on them!!
    Dan & Becky Brady United States March 26, 2014 at 09:37
    Thanks for sharing a great memory and a great man's story!
    Sereda Fowlkes Vienna, VA March 26, 2014 at 10:27
    The message is timeless. When you have a passion and a vision of what you want to do, and when you get to enjoy it, what a blessing. I am glad he enjoyed what he loved and got to help others in the process. Condolences to the family, and let the legacy live on.
    Charlie Holstein Florida March 26, 2014 at 10:58
    Great Story! Thanks for sharing!
    Larry Linton Broken Arrow, Oklahoma March 27, 2014 at 13:42
    Great story sorry for your loss! Your father from the story was quite a wonderful person. I can relate as a few years ago lost my father and still miss him!! Take Care!
    jim carriere Thousand Palms ,CA March 31, 2014 at 22:47
    I was a student at the Leelanau School and when my folks would come up to the scool graduation we always went down to Glen Haven to see the dunesmobiles Thank You ---what a super suprise!!!
    Patty Astor Vancouver, WA April 2, 2014 at 14:39
    I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing this wonderful story with us!
    Raquel Villanueva Pasadena, CA April 2, 2014 at 16:39
    Thank you Hagerty Family, for sharing this wonderful historical happening!
    Will Alexander Hartsville, S.C. April 2, 2014 at 16:45
    Thanks for sharing this story, God bless you and your family and so sorry for your loss. What an Honor it is to represent such a Great Company.
    Tracy Willey Flint, MI April 2, 2014 at 09:34
    Thank you for sharing your family story!
    chuck kotov middle village queens nyc April 2, 2014 at 21:37
    It is hard to type with tears in your eyes but from all of the previous comments you can see how touched we all are. Finding the car is just unbelievable and then nine days after parade is just heart breaking but at the same time so beautiful. My thoughts are with you and Frank.
    Barbara Crocker The Colony TX April 2, 2014 at 10:45
    My Dad was a grease monkey in the service. Since I was the oldest and he wanted a boy, I was the one to help my dad with the cars. One winter in Nebraska, we built a wooden boat in his garage. I remember he had to extend the garage so it would fit. My first car was a 56 Chevy Bel Air convertible. That is where my love of classic cars and boats began. How wonderful that you all will have these memories of your father. Thank you for sharing your story. My condolences to your family.
    John Nemish Suffolk, VA April 2, 2014 at 11:04
    What a great story. Frank was an American Icon in his field, as was Henry Ford. My condolences to McKeel and the family. I will remember Frank everytime I place a Hagerty policy on a classic auto!
    Wayne Ferguson French Lick, IN 47432 April 2, 2014 at 11:43
    Thanks very much for sharing this great story about your Dad and the 48 Ford "Sleeping Bear" Dunesmobile! What a blessing to have your Dad through all those years and for him to have such a satisfying "wrap-up" of his "Old Car Loving Years"!
    Diana Long Terre Haute, In. 47803 April 3, 2014 at 13:36
    Thank you for sharing this amazing story, our condolences to the Hagerty family.
    Harry P PA April 3, 2014 at 11:12
    I have lots of fond memories of the Sleeping Bear Dunemobiles, although being a bit younger than Mr. Hagerty, I remember the 1965 Ford Pickups that were modified into Dunemobiles rather than the '48 model he had. If you have never been to the pinky of Michigan, you are missing out. It's only summer for a month or two, but it is worth going out of your way to see the lakes and dunes of the region. The people are pretty fantastic too...
    Melissa Judd Texas April 3, 2014 at 11:56
    Love to hear Frank lived. My condolences to the loss of such a great man.
    Wayne Mitsch Bloomington, MN April 7, 2014 at 18:27
    What a wonderful touching tribute to Frank and his dream. It warmed my heart to see the look on Frank's face when he talked about his #9. Like his beautiful Ford, he was one of a kind. My condolences to the Hagerty family and organization. May he rest in peace.
    Bridgit Thieme Grand Rapids, MI April 14, 2014 at 17:21
    What a wonderful tribute to a wonderful man. I am grateful I knew him. Love and condolences to all of you xoxoxoxo
    Steve Walker West Virginia April 14, 2014 at 21:53
    My grandfather had a '48 Ford sedan.He drove it once,put a huge dent in the rear bumper and trunk lid,parked it and never drove it again.He gave it as payment to some men that had painted and wallpapered his house.The first week they owned it they got drunk,hit a steel bridge and knocked it off it's foundation.I'll never forget seeing, in the local newsparer ,the old '48 on its top in the creekbed with the bridge beside it.The drivers walked away. 1948 Fords were tough,just as I'm sure my grandfather and Mr. Hagerty were.
    Ileana Alomia Houston, Texas April 28, 2014 at 02:57
    My prayers go out toall the Hagerty Family for your loss,....what a beautiful story, an excellent and extraordinary legacy, it's comforting knowing that his perseverance paid off, thank you for sharing