24 December 2013

Resolutions for 2014

Traditionally, the New Year has always been a time to turn over a new leaf and that means leaving behind bad habits and, hopefully, bad Kharma. Typically these New Year’s resolutions involve quitting smoking or losing weight, eating more healthy foods or drinking less. In some cases, New Year’s resolutions can be life changing if the resolution involves a real challenge, like completing a marathon or circumnavigating the globe. But for people who live and breathe cars, resolutions often take a different form, and several of our staff and contributors have shared their New Year’s resolutions.

1. Rob Sass resolves neither to buy any more Jensens in 2014 nor to keep any newly acquired car for less than three months
  2. Jonathan Stein will never undertake another complete restoration or own another car that you have to jack up, remove the wheel and take off an inner access panel just to check the ignition points.
  3. Dave Kinney resolves to never buy more than five Avantis in any given year.
  4. Jonathan Klinger will keep “project creep in check” and never again let minor routine maintenance evolve into a ground-up restoration over the course of eight hours.
  5. McKeel Hagerty resolves never to restore an Aston Martin remotely again.
  6. Wayne Carini will not to paint any Ferraris red in 2014.
  7. Ken Gross won't remove the fenders, running boards and hoods from any more old Fords. He won’t even drop the ride height.
  8. Ezra Dyer resolves not to take his diesel Bronco to the drag strip and measure its performance in ways that will tempt him to spend money on “items such as injectors like fire hoses.”
  9. P. J. O'Rourke, after 40 years on four wheels, resolves not to buy a classic CB750 Honda.  His wife resolves to shoot him if he does.
  10. Don Sherman pledges to diminish his obsession for rescuing first-generation Honda Insights and limit himself to one to restore and drive and another to convert to a mid-engine rotary-powered supercar.

Of course, that doesn’t mean that Dave Kinney won’t also resolve to run his first marathon or that beef-loving Jonathan Klinger won’t commit to 12 months as a vegetarian or that P.J. O’Rourke won’t alter his resolution in favor of a faster bike in the hopes of outrunning his armed wife.

(1. Rob Sass is the Publisher of Hagerty Classic Cars magazine and the Vice President of Media Content for Hagerty. 2. Jonathan Stein is the Executive Editor of Hagerty Classic Cars magazine and the former Publishing Director of Automobile Quarterly. 3. Dave Kinney is the Publisher of the Hagerty Price Guide and the principal of U.S. Appraisal. 4. Jonathan Klinger is Hagerty’s PR manager, and the McPherson College graduate has a long history with old cars. 5. McKeel Hagerty is the President and CEO of Hagerty, and has been playing with cars since long before he had his license. 6. Wayne Carini is best known as the host of “Chasing Classic Cars,” but is a restorer, collector and dealer of fine automobiles. 7. Ken Gross is a veteran automotive journalist who knows his exotics as well as he knows hot rods, and that’s saying a lot. 8. Ezra Dyer is best known for his humorous take on all things automotive. His work can be found in Automobile and many other publications, including Hagerty Classic Cars magazine. 9. P. J. O'Rourke is a political satirist, journalist, and writer who is the former editor of National Lampoon and has written much about cars. 10. Don Sherman is a longtime automotive journalist who has worked extensively with both Car and Driver and Automobile and is a frequent contributor to Hagerty Classic Cars magazine.)

Tim Pawl West Bloomfield January 1, 2014 at 15:46
    The image of Don Sherman behind the wheel of 1st generation Honda Insite wearing a racing helmet and barely peering above side glass, best laugh so far this year. Of course it is Jan 1,2014 Only thing better would be if his feet were visable below car like Fred Flintstone
    Gary Platz Colonial Heights,Va. January 1, 2014 at 16:52
    I resolve to accept other XYZ brands even if they're not MOPARS. Gary Platz
    Denny Napier Roseburg OR January 1, 2014 at 16:53
    Hooray for Ken Gross resolving to not remove fenders, running boards and hoods from old Fords!
    george bell United States January 1, 2014 at 17:05
    i have a 1957 ford 4 door with a 312, engine auto trans, for sale. rusted but rebuildable , been out side. all there,and steel body.
    Mike T Aurora January 1, 2014 at 21:10
    I have a triple black 75 JH5 available if Robb Sass falls of the wagon
    Lou Smarbles Atlanta January 1, 2014 at 21:13
    To Wayne Carini: Not painting any Ferraris red is like saying, no more blondes... or this is case, maybe redheads! Don't limit yourself, Wayne! To MRS. P.J. O'Rourke: If he buys the CB750, and you make good on your vow to shoot him, can I have the car? (Sorry, P.J., nothing personal ;- )
    Frank Gladman Houston Texas January 2, 2014 at 19:13
    I resolve to get my 1976 Trans Am 455 engine 4 speed up and running and pick up some Corrs beer run the 2014 bandit Run with AC running! Happy New Year!
    John Lititz January 2, 2014 at 19:54
    I promise to not remove the engine from my 1965 StingRay to detail it.
    MarshMountaineers Hudson Valley, NY January 2, 2014 at 09:04
    I resolve not to offer to sell my Honda CB750 (which is sitting neglected in the back of one of my garages) to P. J. O'Rourke. Just in the spirit of marital harmony of course... I further resolve to (try) to provide better storage/garage/barn space for my ever-growing eclection (eclectic-collection) for my AMX's, Barracuda, Coronet, Corvair's, MGB, Power Wagon's, and of course my Riviera...(not to mention my Moto-Guzzi, KLR650 and the afore-mentioned CB750, uh, okay, I mentioned them). Oh yea, and I resolve to have a bit more marital harmony in my life...
    MarshMountaineers Hudson Valley, NY January 2, 2014 at 10:00
    Murk Mansell Pueblo, CO January 2, 2014 at 11:00
    I will not buy another car, wife says 12 is enough ( unless a Starliner pops up).
    Glenn Namian Cincinnati January 2, 2014 at 11:05
    I resolve to not even think about restoring the convertible top or the air conditioner on my '75 Eldorado. That juice is not worth the squeeze.
    Joel Keefer Fredericksburg, Texas January 3, 2014 at 18:23
    I resolve to finish the '65 Corvette restoration I put on the back burner while we moved in 2013.
    Classic Velocity PA January 3, 2014 at 19:17
    I vow to buy more cars and bikes ;-) Too much is almost enough....
    Thomas Phillips Suttons Bay, MI January 4, 2014 at 17:49
    Interesting
    Ken Geelhaar Parkville, Md January 8, 2014 at 21:57
    I would like to see Wayne Carini be more like Chip Foose. Help classic car owners finish their cars, with the quality he boasts of, instead of lining his pockets. He and his show is more about getting over on classic car owners, than saving classic cars. Hows that for a new years resolution WAYNE!