5 December 2013

Five of the Coolest Four-Doors Ever

Four-door sedans don’t usually get the love from classic car fans the way coupes and convertibles do. We think it’s time that changed. Here are five of our favorite four doors ever.

1. 1962 Lincoln Continental: The ’62 Continental may be the coolest sedan of all time. Oozing with “Mad Men” and Rat Pack swagger as well as “suicide” doors that open opposite to each other, the car still shows up with regularity in movies and on TV shows whenever something over-the-top cool is needed to haul around a large entourage, much as the Continental does on the show of the same name.  A ’58 Cadillac Brougham will scratch the same itch if you simply must go with GM.
  2. 1948 Tucker 48: At lot of people know the basics of the Tucker story from the Francis Ford Coppola film of the same name. Few people, though, have ever actually seen one of these rear-engine beasts in the flesh. Even today, they’re simply stunning and never fail to make you think about what might have been had Tucker succeeded in marketing a rear-engine, air-cooled sedan to the masses. Certainly far more people than just Porsche 911 drivers would have learned about the joys of terminal oversteer.
  3. Aston Martin Lagonda: Where some of the other cars on this list are objectively and undeniably cool, the Lagonda is a bit of an acquired taste, even for the “Tron” generation.  Except for the tires, there isn’t a curve to be found anywhere on this origami exercise of a car. It’s a catapult and an arrestor wire short of being an aircraft carrier, and the all-LED screen dash is something to behold (when it’s working). But there is something undeniably cool about this 1970s super sedan that was once a fixture at places like the London Playboy Club and every OPEC meeting.
  4. 1994-96 Chevrolet Impala SS: Until the late and much-lamented Pontiac G8 came out, this was the last rear-wheel-drive GM sedan to lust after. The stock Caprice was a bit of an awkward exercise with its aero design and faired rear wheels.  Fat tires, cool alloy wheels and a properly radiused rear-wheel arch did wonders for the Impala SS, as did the 5.7-liter LT1 V-8 that made 260 hp in the SS.  The few good ones that remain are becoming sought-after collectibles.
  5. 1951-54 Hudson Hornet: Incredible early 1950s pre-fin styling? Check. NASCAR domination? Check. Steve McQueen ownership? Check. Enough said. The Hornet qualifies as the coolest American sedan of the early 1950s.

Brad California December 6, 2013 at 22:31
    1969 Dodge Polara Pursuit. For decades, it held the record on the Chrysler test track in Chelsea, MI for highest top end achieved by a factory-built four door sedan (149.6 mph).
    spyderdog Mesa, AZ December 6, 2013 at 11:30
    2003 - 2011 ford crown victoria police interceptor
    Jeff Madison, WI. USA December 6, 2013 at 12:17
    Style, class & speed= 96' Jaguar XJR. Also the 80's Maserati quadraporte.
    Brad Cary IL December 7, 2013 at 01:43
    Even more than our 95 Impala SS that made your list, I think our 1960 Impala Sport Sedan is one of the best looking 4 doors ever
    Neil R Statesboro, GA December 8, 2013 at 22:57
    Tucker was a 6 not an 8.
    Brian Tacoma, WA December 9, 2013 at 13:06
    How about the 1959 and 1960 General Motors "flat top" 4-door hardtops? This body style has been attracting significant collector attention. The roofline was dubbed the "Flying Wing" or "Cantilever" roofline by GM Styling, and the goal was to create a roof that appeared to be floating above the car's body. The result was the ultimate in pillarless hardtop style.
    Mark California December 9, 2013 at 08:31
    You missed the FACEL-VEGA Excellence! Only 152 of these gems were made from 1956-1964: World's fastest 4-door sedan, high-performance Chrysler V8, full wrap-around windshield, suicide doors, tail fins, whitewall tires, front bucket seats. How could you ask for more? No coincidence some resemblance to the '62 Continental - Ford Motor Company Styling Division was the buyer of one in late '58!
    chuck Muskegon Michigan December 11, 2013 at 13:03
    I have a 1967 Thunderbird wit suicide doors.My vote for coolest 4 door car. It also ha covered headlights.
    Thom New York December 11, 2013 at 13:08
    how about the svt contour?
    George Blairsville, GA December 11, 2013 at 13:11
    The personification of a classy four door ride...you 'gotta love the Rolls Royce Silver Cloud series.
    John Apen Fl December 11, 2013 at 13:18
    The "Bankers Hotrod". M-B 300SE 6.3. A real stealth sedan.u
    Tom Michigan December 11, 2013 at 13:26
    Great Cars and great additional cars listed in the comments. I like the 1960's Continental in the convertible version!
    Ken MacKay Sheldon, SC December 11, 2013 at 13:29
    1949-1951 Mercury
    Mr Joseph Charles Weiss Princeton NJ area December 11, 2013 at 13:30
    The prewar Czech Tatras.
    Woody Richey St Petersburg, FL December 11, 2013 at 13:31
    Except for the Tucker, I have had one eachof te other 4. I would heartily agree with your choices.
    Steve California December 11, 2013 at 13:32
    I always thought the second generation Corvair four-door hardtops had striking lines... rear engine, air cooled, flat six, timeless styling, and the wide open windows without B-pillars. Seems the four-door with pillarless windows are gone forever due to rollover standards (not necessarily a bad thing) but they were pretty cool.
    Happy Tom Dearborn, MI December 11, 2013 at 13:33
    I believe that the singularly unique grill, rear end and extra leg room of the 65 Lincoln Continental Convertible edges out the 62. It's exactly what Mrs. Kennedy asked for and received from the Ford Motor Company. Also, with the LT1 as a powerplant, I agree completely with the 94-96 Impala. Of course, I can't agree completely, because my 95 9C1 Caprice was the same car with the added benefits of an armored front seat, oil and trans cooler, as well as heavy duty hoses and body mounts.
    Happy Tom Dearborn, MI December 11, 2013 at 13:33
    Lee Bay Area December 11, 2013 at 13:35
    Kudos on the Lincoln Continental suicide... definitely a badass car. Not so much on the 90's Impala. Not a bad car, for sure, but the fact that it was nothing more than a taxicab on steroids and that 99% of them were driven by dipshits (much like Hummer H2s), I can't stand the thought of one now. It would be pretty tough to find one in good shape with original equipment though, as most of them ended up with bad body kits, spinning blade wheels, and 4000 watt stereo systems.
    Norm Shier California December 11, 2013 at 13:36
    How about the 57 Cadillac Seville?gm
    Lee Bay Area December 11, 2013 at 13:36
    Kurt NJ December 11, 2013 at 13:38
    Let's not forget the iconic 1959 Chevy Impala, Bel Air. The Bat Wings and Cat Eyes probably the most outrageous Harvey Earl design. May be a little prejudice as I have 59 Bel Air.
    Kurt NJ December 11, 2013 at 13:38
    Dale Brown Louisville,KY December 11, 2013 at 13:39
    When I was in high school, I had the opportunity to purchase a salmon and white 1956 Mercury Montclair "Phaeton" 4 door hardtop. It was only produced in 1956 and is one of the most beautiful 4 doors that I have ever seen.
    Happy Tom Dearborn, MI December 11, 2013 at 13:40
    I believe that the singularly unique grill, rear end and extra leg room of the 65 Lincoln Continental Convertible edges out the 62. It's exactly what Mrs. Kennedy asked for and received from the Ford Motor Company. Also, with the LT1 as a powerplant, I agree completely with the 94-96 Impala. Of course, I can't agree totally, because my 95 9C1 Caprice was the same car with the added benefits of an armored front seat, oil and trans cooler, as well as heavy duty hoses and body mounts.
    Brian Washington, DC December 11, 2013 at 13:41
    What about the '64 Olds 442 4-door? Unfortunately, only six were built.
    Joe Santa Barbara, CA December 11, 2013 at 13:42
    You left out one of the most beautiful four doors ever built, the 1934 Ford Deluxe Sedan. Thankfully, the hot rodders seldom butcher them the way they do the two doors. From the heart-shaped grill to the Potter's trunk the proportions are perfect. The flathead V-8 means you can actually drive them and keep up with modern traffic. Have the engine balanced and it will last forever. Best car Ford ever built!!
    Mike Ryan United States December 11, 2013 at 13:50
    Topping the list of cars you forgot-- the Mercury Marauder. Like Uncle Henry said--- "Any color you want as long as it's black". For my money, it was the coolest four door car of all time.
    Scott Belmont, CA December 11, 2013 at 13:58
    BMW Bavaria - when new, the company took one to a track and ran it at 120mph for 24 hours, only stopping for gas. Bone stock. In 1970. Nice.
    William Martin Sarasota Florida December 11, 2013 at 13:58
    Great article, however you failed to mention the 1973 Pontiac Grand Am which was GMs 1st attempt at a 4 door touring sedan Bill M. Sarasota Fl.
    Irene South Carolina December 11, 2013 at 13:59
    Agree with Brian....My mother had a drop dead beautiful 1959 Buick Electra 225 4 door hardtop in White with pale Green interior that was truly rolling art.
    dave Watertown, CT December 11, 2013 at 14:02
    You forgot the 4 door convertible VW Thing!
    dave Watertown, CT December 11, 2013 at 14:03
    You forgot the 4 door convertible VW Thing!
    Vern Pfannenstiel Flagstaff, AZ December 11, 2013 at 14:08
    Don't forget our mates down under in Australia. They produced, what was at the time, one of the fastest four door production cars in the world, the Ford Falcon GT HO. Various versions of ths car were produced in the ealy '70's and they were race winners when prepped and very capable muscle ars otherwise. With a high output 351 Cleveland (and shaker hood), 4 speed, sport suspension and that unique Ausie hotted up four door approcach to performance cars, they are an intersting digression from our normal experience with muscle cars. Check these out if you have not before, it is a real interesting look at performance muscle if you have seen it all here in the US. I have been in and around thes cars while in Australia and they are a blast.
    Mike E V San Diego December 11, 2013 at 14:10
    I can't get enough of the 4 door hardtop Chevys from 1956 & 57. Also the 4 dr hardtops from Chryco 1960 to 63 and the pancake rooflines from GM cica 1959 and 60. The pancake roof is starting to show up as a two door on some resto mod cars. Cool.
    Mike E V San Diego December 11, 2013 at 14:10
    Steve Mid-Hudson Valley, NY December 11, 2013 at 14:19
    I would have to nominate the 1949-1951 GM fastback four door sedanettes - the Chevy Fleetline is the only one I know the proper name for, but the other four divisions all had the body style.
    tom durham,nc December 11, 2013 at 14:26
    1957 Cadillac Eldorado brougham!
    Tom Spokane, WA December 11, 2013 at 14:27
    For some reason, the 1956 Chevy 4-door hardtop (210 or Bel Air) strikes me as being very attractive. More so than any other 4-door Chevy from the '50's. Even though the '56 is my least favorite of the Tri-Five Chev's, I wouldn't hesitate to own a nice 4-door HT model.
    John United States December 11, 2013 at 14:28
    How can you talk 4-door classics without mentioning the Pontiac Executive? Sure, they came in 2-door models too, but they also came as a 4-door pillared and a hard-top edition sedan.
    rob stone philadelphia suburbs December 11, 2013 at 14:30
    go with the 63" Lincoln Continental, that year had a different carb, more hp, an alternator, last year of the curved windows, my favorite is the Rolls Royce Silver Shadow 4 dr. "saloon", great value and when you get it right, really feels like your driving on ball bearings.
    adam Bellingham, WA December 11, 2013 at 14:31
    Jaguar MK II. Speed, looks, wire wheels, wood, leather, outrun the cops...
    Phil Denver December 11, 2013 at 14:32
    Good choices, good suggestions. I thought I never would own a 4 door. But since buying my stepfathers 63 Cadillac this past summer, I have a new appreciation for the older boats.
    Ron Colorado December 11, 2013 at 14:33
    You neglected to include the 1957-58 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham. Hand built pillarless 4 door design with suicide rear doors and stainless steel roof. One of the most expensive and beautiful American cars ever built. While we're talking about GM, the 1957-58 Oldsmobile Fiesta and Buick Caballero station wagons should also be mentioned.
    Michael Waters Pinetown NC December 11, 2013 at 14:34
    Though I'm a Chevy guy and adore cars from the 50's & 60's, I did once own an '89 Nissan Maxima. At the time, Nissan offered a top-of-line sport version of the Maxima called the 4DSC (Four Door Sports Coupe) with a slightly hotter version of their legendary V6. (Remember, this was the same basic engine that powered the 300Z Twin Turbo Coupe in 1990). The body lines of the '89 were particularly alluring with a C-piilar roof line that borrowed a bit from BMW. If there any of these 4DSC cars left out there in decent condition, hang on to them because I think they have potential to be a future collectible.
    Peter SoFla December 11, 2013 at 14:41
    My vote goes to the 1969 T-Bird with suicide doors, hide-a-way headlights and sequential tail lights.
    fzybear Houston, TX December 11, 2013 at 14:43
    1977 Lincoln Town Car - the only year of fender skirts combined with the beautiful waterfall grill, not the mention the next-to-last year of the fabulous 460 4 bbl. Striking lines, showing off the '70's excess to the max.
    Charles Borg Santa Rosa Ca December 11, 2013 at 14:44
    I remember getting my license at 17 in 1972 going shopping for my first car with my parents. We ended up at this car lot in Burlingame and sitting there was this cool 1967 GTO. I'm saying yes I found my hot rod. In the corner of the lot was this 1962 Continental. My mother looks at me and says there you go, you would be safe driving that monster, like real serious like. I'm like mom I don't think so. After going to war with my mother:-) she gave in a I got the Goat. Loved that car. If only somebody would have told me back then what that car would be worth today.
    Mary MN December 11, 2013 at 14:45
    My Dad had a 1955 Olds Holiday Hardtop w/4 doors...Rootbeer brown & cream, the only 4 dr I ever liked.
    David SF Bay area, California December 11, 2013 at 14:47
    The Tatra T77 and T87 are WAY cooler than the Tucker and their rear (air-cooled) engine, 3-headlight design preceded Tucker by YEARS. Heck, even the smaller, 2 headlight Tatraplan is cooler than the Tucker.
    Mary MN December 11, 2013 at 14:48
    My Dad had a1955 Olds Holiday Hardtop 4 drs. Rootbeer brown & cream, one sweet looking car.
    Doug Breithaupt Port Townsend, WA December 11, 2013 at 14:52
    This list without the Jaguar XJ6/12 SI-SIII Saloon or the the Cord Beverly/Westchester sedans, really makes little sense. The NSU Ro80 would be another nominee as would the Bentley Continental S models of the 1950's. Four American cars on the list indicates a bias that is rather obvious. Why just the '62 model year for the Lincoln? How is it different from the 1961 or 1963 model? On the Hudson Hornet, it was the 2-door, not the 4-door models that were NASCAR winners.
    Tom Pittsburgh, PA December 11, 2013 at 14:57
    Finally, the GM B-Body gets some recognition. It ended an era of GM body-on-frame cars. The Chevy Caprice, Impala SS, Buick Roadmaster and Caddy Fleetwood all came to an end in 1996. Once a regular staple of American family sedans and wagons for decades, they are sorely missed. Don't be fooled by the 260hp rating of the LT1. The iron-head versions in these cars put out 330 lb·ft of torque, which makes the (possibly underated) 260hp feel more like 300hp+. Sure, the Ford Panther platform (Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, etc) lived on longer, but at one time, this GM platform was king of the BOF cars of the 80s and 90s. The Impala SS was a nice book-end to a long legacy. PS: the caption says "1994 Impala SS" but by looking at the side mirrors and quarter panel, that picture is a 1995 or 1996 model.
    Paul Cantin Fall River Massachusetts December 11, 2013 at 15:00
    Mercury Marauder
    Eric Verdon-Roe United Kingdom December 11, 2013 at 15:05
    Agree with the Facel Vega Excellence. You could also add Iso Fidia and Maserati Quattroporte. These could also appear on a list of the five worst 4 doors.
    JC Phoenix, AZ December 11, 2013 at 15:15
    I thought the Chrysler 300C was pretty cool when it first came out. SnoopDog drove one, how cool is that?
    Doug Wolford Puyallup, WA December 11, 2013 at 15:18
    Steve McQueen's Hudson was a two-door. It's light green with a dark top, and resides at the Petersen Museum in Los Angeles.
    Paul W Colorado December 11, 2013 at 15:31
    You left out....most pre-1970 Jag sedans and the very good Rover 2000TC (P6): I'll letcha off, just this once!
    Tom Musson Orange County, CA December 11, 2013 at 15:36
    You can forget your # 3 & 4 and substitute the Cadillac 58 Fleetwood Brougham, and the icon of all pre War cars, the 41 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special. (A substitute for this last one would be the 41 Cadillac Sedan Convertible, the last sedan convertible from G
    Greg Crystal Lake, IL December 11, 2013 at 15:40
    I have the 1994 Caprice; an amazing car to this day. Mine has 140k miles, the engine is the original LT-1 except for some re-programming, it now has a 2200 RPM stall lock-up converter, and 3.42 posi gears in it. It is my every day driver (well, during 9 months; it is now stored as "it" hates salt). Gets 26 MPG highway, too. I also love my 1964 Chevy Bel Air but always get the "too bad it's not a 4-door". I love the 4-door and the 411 (30-over stroked 348 since the original owner robbed it of the 409 it came with) does pretty well now that it has a 700R4 hooked up between it and the 3.36 rear end. Thanks for bringing 4-doors into the spotlight!
    Al Hatch Grand Blanc, Michigan December 11, 2013 at 15:52
    How in the world could anyone not include the 1936 & '37 Cord Westchester and Beverly sedans!
    John Carapiet United States December 11, 2013 at 15:57
    How about the Lancia Appia pillerless 4 door, a VW bug circa 1958 was $1800 the Appia was $3,000 US, a high quality very pretty car
    Dave Harvard, MA December 11, 2013 at 15:59
    The 1991 Pontiac Bonneville SSE was and is the best 4 door sedan ever. No one has come close to the styling of this car. Its power is excellent and on top of that you can coast it better than any car I have ever driven or owned (well over 50) which includes such as a '62 Corvair Monza, and a '70 Chevy Malibu Hardtop. It is so comfortable and smooth you could drive it from Boston to Chicago in one sitting without feeling you'd been dragged there on someone's bumper. I used to make that trip a couple of times a year in a 1950 Renault 4CV. (no Interstate Highways then)
    Ken Oregon December 11, 2013 at 16:03
    You should add the 1992-1994 Mercedes 500E to the list. Very cool and desirable four door sedan hand built by Mercedes and Porsche back when engineered first and priced later. Only 1528 imported to the US. An affordable collector car that is on the rise.
    John R NY December 11, 2013 at 16:11
    1956 Lincoln - best 4 door of the 50's in my book
    Jon Auburn, IN December 11, 2013 at 16:11
    How about any Jaguar in the XJ series up thru 1987?
    Lon East Tenn Vols Country December 11, 2013 at 16:12
    The Impala SS and the Hudson Hornet are the best, keep the rest!
    jack domeischel New York December 11, 2013 at 16:14
    The 1970 Mercedes Benz 280 or 380SL. A real head-turner, and still is. P.J. O'Rourke once wrote "There are a number of mechanical devices which increase sexual arousal, particularly in women. Chief among these is the Mercedes Benz 380SL."
    jeff detroit December 11, 2013 at 16:16
    1947 Chrysler Windsor the post war shape and style are truly classic. An era of The Chrysler Building, Dick Tracy, Flash Gordon, Jackie Robinson…..Oh boy what a car.
    Bill Boston, MA December 11, 2013 at 16:18
    The Jaguar 3.8 Mark II sedan.
    Bob K Greensboro, NC December 11, 2013 at 16:19
    I think the 1964 4 window Sedan DeVille is a true work of art. It is "postless" and looks almost like a "convertible sedan" with it's top up. I own 2 of them. It was the last year of the "fin". I call it the baby fin. The lines and chrome on the car are just beautiful. The interior is just as asthetically pleasing as well. It was the first year of the 429 cu inch motor. It flies, and you could rest a glass of water on the air cleaner, and you would not spill a drop, the engines are that smooth!
    Mark Surf City December 11, 2013 at 16:22
    I have learned from reading these lists that they never capture the same list of cars as I (and possibly a majority of other automotive fans) would ever compile using the same title. Then again, how often can a list of 5 or even 10 contain the "correct" cars in the correct order?
    Kathy Florida December 11, 2013 at 16:22
    How about the 4 door Corvair?? It was and is my favorite. Great automobiles...own several.
    Dave somewhere in New Mexico December 11, 2013 at 16:26
    1958 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham. Nothing like them before or since.
    Jim Wayne N.J December 11, 2013 at 16:31
    67/68 Ford Thunderbird 390 Suicide doors hideaway headlights foldaway steering wheel and the rear sequential signals..
    Jim Wayne N.J December 11, 2013 at 16:32
    Gary Chittenden Canada December 11, 2013 at 16:32
    Good list. That Lagonda is butt ugly. How about 65-66 Chevys. No extra side windows. And !949-51 Mercury`s.
    Robert K Greensboro, NC December 11, 2013 at 16:34
    In my opinion, the coolest 4 door is the 1989 Excalibur Grand Limousine. I own one of these magnificent motorcars. It is truly a 4 door, even though it is a long car (23 2/3 feet long). This motorcar is "Art on Wheels". There were only 13 of these limousines built by Excalibur in 1989...very few still exist in the United States today. I am proud to have driven one in 1989 and am proud to finally own one.
    John ERIE ,PA December 11, 2013 at 16:36
    Those 1962 Lincolns are beautiful automobiles , especially the convertibles . And its hard to believe those big heavy LINKS were Uni-body ...
    Carl Birmingham, OH December 11, 2013 at 16:36
    Back in the 50's and even into the 70"s, the Big-3 made some very good looking 4-doors. Many of those were 4-door hardtop's, too.
    Mike Stanton, DE December 11, 2013 at 16:38
    How could you leave out the '86 Shelby GLH-S?
    Skurfan Sedalia, Mo. December 11, 2013 at 16:39
    The four door 1964 Galaxie 500 is a beautiful car. If you are looking for newer, the 1995 Bonneville SSEi is hard to beat.
    Gary Vestal,NY December 11, 2013 at 16:41
    Mercury Marauder (2003-2004)
    Rick Shelby Twp., Mi December 11, 2013 at 16:43
    I agree completely with Brian from Tacoma, WA...and prefer the 1960 Chevrolet Sport Sedan Impala.
    Tom NY December 11, 2013 at 16:49
    How about 4 door 60's and early 70's Nova's. The 2 doors have been going for unrealistc price's and you can find decent 4 doors for low prices, versus $25,000 and up for a 2 door. When your sitting behind the wheel looking out over the hood you don't see the extra doors behind you any way.
    CoolBenz Toronto December 11, 2013 at 16:49
    If we are talking about the 4-door sedans, you have to give props to the Fastest European Sedan of its time; Mercedes-Benz 450SEL 6.9. The car demands respect even by today's standards and can fly past any newer cars effortlessly.
    George Ontario, NY December 11, 2013 at 16:51
    The Coombs prepared Jaguar Mk2. The first true super saloon says Mick Walsh. The car is beautiful, fast, handles and stops, refined, and even your grannie would be pleased to go for a ride.
    Tim Glendora, CA December 11, 2013 at 16:54
    1964 Cadillac Sedan de Ville
    Charles Cash Kansas City December 11, 2013 at 16:57
    My 1941 Chevrolet Special Deluxe Sports Sedan.
    John Philadelphia, PA December 11, 2013 at 17:06
    Have to agree with Brian about the 59-60 flat-top sedans if you want to pick a GM offering for this group. My nomination for "coolest sedan" would have to be the 1967 Jaguar 420 - 245hp, dual overhead cams, four wheel disc brakes, four wheel independent suspension and a top speed of 125 mph, making it the fastest production car that you could buy in '67.
    John Philadelphia, PA December 11, 2013 at 17:12
    My nomination would have to be the 1967 Jaguar 420. 245 hp,, dual overhead cams, four wheel disc brakes, four wheel independent suspension, and a top speed of 125 mph wrapped up in classic Jaguar styling.
    B J Hoefle Lakeland, FL December 11, 2013 at 17:13
    The Tucker was not air cooled, but water. The engine had been a helicopter air cooled one in WW2, but they converted it to water cooled.
    Jay Ohio December 11, 2013 at 17:16
    1938-41 Cadillac Sixty Special
    runamuk Summerfield, fl December 11, 2013 at 17:17
    I have a beige colored 1948 Mercury 4 door that I think is gorgeous, verified by the many comments and thumbs up signs I get when I drive it.
    Bill Ohio December 11, 2013 at 17:17
    I think the 1968 -1973 Jaguar XJ6 is the best looking 4 door ever made.
    nomad splendora tx December 11, 2013 at 17:21
    boy i cant believe the 4 drs didnt have 58 nomad first one out of a 4 dr nomad buick and olds 56 up 4 dr wagon be cool
    Bruce Fridley,MN December 11, 2013 at 17:25
    1964 Mercury Montclair Breezeway, or any of the Mercury Models with the unique retractable rear window. The '60's models had all the long and wide styling associated with that period with the added feature of the retractable window in back. No other sedan comes to mind that comes close to that look.
    mark melrose mass. December 11, 2013 at 17:33
    1967 thunderbird for door landau
    peter Hollywood, CA December 11, 2013 at 17:38
    Oh come-on now! Any pre-1967 Jaguar. 1955-65 Rolls Silver Cloud. A factory body so beautiful it pretty much closed down the coachbuilders. The Citroen ID/DS. And....I think the 64-65 Lincolns are better looking than the '62. The rare '61 was iconic. The 67 T-Bird was nice,too.
    paperboy Oneonta AL December 11, 2013 at 17:39
    How about the 4 door Avanti?
    Pappas, T Peter United States December 11, 2013 at 17:43
    I agree with the 62 Continental as number one. Number two should be the Bentley Turbo R 1989-96 for its timeless lines, English Library like leather seating and incredible performance for a three ton vehicle in its time.
    J Ranney Vermont December 11, 2013 at 17:47
    How about the Lancia Florida?
    JOSEPH KLAUMENZER Green Lane,Pa.18054 December 11, 2013 at 17:53
    1956 DeSoto Firedome...four door says family car,grocery getter,nite out at car hop drive in..one dollar car load at drive in movie....plenty of room,large trunk,just right fins not showoff just dressy now that is a cool four door
    JJ in PA PA and Maine December 11, 2013 at 17:57
    Don't overlook the VW Thing! It was so cool it had several names including The Thing, the Kubelwagon, the Safari and the &$!@!? - lol!
    Bob Sun City West December 11, 2013 at 17:59
    What about the Checker? It was so homely, that it was cool, and they lasted forever, even in taxi mode.
    Ray Carnegie, Pa. December 11, 2013 at 18:15
    92-92 Ford Tempo 6cyl.
    David thomaston, ct December 11, 2013 at 18:18
    My favorite 4 door is one I owned for 8 years was a 1972 Plymouth satellite , the front and back had a great muscle car look
    John Zink Tulsa, OK December 11, 2013 at 18:25
    I think the 1965-69 four-door hardtop Corvairs are the handsomest four-door cars made in a long time. They still look good.
    Mark Omaha, NE December 11, 2013 at 18:44
    I agree with Brad & Brian the 59-60 GM Flat top's were some of the best looking 4 doors ever
    Jesse C. Timm Meriden, CT. December 11, 2013 at 18:47
    My opinion may be a little bias because I'm a Corvair enthusiast and I own a 1967 4dr. sedan.
    Peter Phoenix, Az December 11, 2013 at 18:49
    I am with Mark, the Facel Vega Excellence 4 door suicide style. Equipped with the 4 speed transmission,what a car.
    Sherm Walnut Creek CA December 11, 2013 at 18:54
    Other great 4 door sedans : 63/64/65/66 Cadillacs; early postwar Packard and Imperial sedans, and the greatest of all, the late 20's Duesenbergs. The best four door ever: all turbocharged Bentleys of the 80's and 90's.
    Kevin Orangeville December 11, 2013 at 18:58
    The Mercury Marauder is a far better car than the Impala SS
    Darcie Boelter Colorado December 11, 2013 at 19:04
    Fordor Model A. Introduced the car-crazy public to closed cars and real windows
    Damon North Carolina December 11, 2013 at 19:27
    Great choices in this article for sure. My father has a '59 Chevy Impala 4dr Hardtop that is undeniably cool! Though, my '55 Bel Air 4dr is closer to my heart.
    Peter NJ December 11, 2013 at 19:44
    1965 Buick Rivera
    Jeff home December 11, 2013 at 19:51
    The Lincoln, heck yeah.The Lagonda, HECK NO. That is nasty, NOT cool. Sure it's styling is uhhh, different but it sure isn't by any means cool. The Hudson cool because it had NASCAR heritage?!?!?!? PAH-LEASE!!!!! The 'Fabulous Hudson Hornet' of Marshall Teague was a TWO door, as were the others in racing. McQueens owners makes it cool?? By what standard? He owned many cars in his collection, doesn't make them all cool, interesting, maybe, cool...NOT. The '94-'96 Impala (and its virtual twin the 9C1), yep, that was a butt kicker. But where is the almost as impressive 2003/4 Marauder???? I'm with Brian and Brad, wheres the flat top '59-'60 GMs? Wheres the '69 Polara Pursuit? Others that should have made the list, the '57-'58 Mercury Turnpike Cruiser as well as the '63-'66 Breezeways. The '67-'71 Thunderbirds. Your list seems hastilly thrown together by a secratary rather then a "car guy".
    Walter Steinert United States December 11, 2013 at 19:53
    2004 MERCURY MARAUDER!
    Rick San Diego December 11, 2013 at 20:03
    Chrysler 300C. There are millions now but some day they will be classics. Trust me. :-)
    Rob Neenah, WI December 11, 2013 at 20:05
    2007 Chrysler 300C Hemi
    bill ocean springs,ms. December 11, 2013 at 20:30
    I like my four door.it is a 1958 dodge custom 500.it was purchased new in Arizona,and has never left.
    Damon North Carolina December 11, 2013 at 20:30
    Dennis Reno NV December 11, 2013 at 20:59
    Liked all your choices. My addition would be the Jaguar MK VII saloon. A sedan that can be described as a modern traditional British car, elegant, well balanced in design, and stunning in British racing green with a biscuit leather interior. A beautiful car from all angles.
    Alan Atlanta December 11, 2013 at 21:07
    The Lagonda as indeed a great looking 4-door sedan but just try to get in the back seat if you are over 4'10". I'm 6'2" and it was almost impossible. (I worked for the Aston Martin dealer when this car was new)
    Tracy Decatur December 11, 2013 at 21:19
    2003-2004 Mercury Marauder
    Tom Cincinnati, OH December 11, 2013 at 21:23
    Love the Alfa Romeo Giulia Super. I have 2 1967's and one 1965, so I am biased.
    P.Johnson Rochester Hills Michigan December 11, 2013 at 21:33
    I really think the GM full size wagons from the late 50's were very cool, 4dr wagons with no B pillar, Buicks, Oldsmobiles had the look, and agree the Flat-top 4 door's were sweet, I think every GM division had one, even Cadillac. Really any 4 door without a B pillar was cool, Mercury Breezeway's, Ford LTD's, Chrysler New Yorker's from the 50's & 60's....all nice. As for new models, that Dodge Charger with the Hemi, I wouldn't kick that 4 door outa my garage!
    Collin Columbia, MO December 11, 2013 at 22:00
    What about the 1968 Ford LTD 4 door hardtop? Hideaway lights and no pillars on a sleek body with a muscle feel and smooth ride. I like all of the cars on this list. There are so many good ones that it is hard to pick.
    barb Bellefonte, PA December 11, 2013 at 22:07
    I grew up with one of those suicide door Lincoln. We used it for anything and everything even though it was a little upper class. We hauled a load of hay in it and we even had a calf in the backseat!---The pickup broke down and we had to do something with the hay and the calf! I remember the time we went a 40 minute trip to an amusement park and when it came time to come home around 10 pm, the motor for the top wouldn't raise the top out of the trunk. My dad drove home on a foggy night with a cloth diaper tied under his chin the whole way while we all snuggled together in the back seat to keep warm! What memories.
    Walt J Crystal lake Illinois December 11, 2013 at 22:16
    I had a 59 impala four door loved the lines , I would also vote the VW thing and the 60's Thunderbirds with the suicide doors
    mike kentucky December 11, 2013 at 22:45
    You people and everyone else forget The 1984-85 FORD LTD LX. Limited number of 3220, 210hp 5.0 and at 3200 lbs VERY QUICK, for that time. Much faster than the highly rated Buick Grand National everyone claimed as the fastest American Production car of those two years, but funny, they could never catch my LTD. And they could kick the crap out those newer Impala SS's. Due in the most part because by the time you realized what you had run up against it was already over for you..
    mike cenit Michigan December 11, 2013 at 22:59
    The current Dodge Police Cars are as cool as a 4 door can get, especially the state police ones.
    Laurence Colorado December 11, 2013 at 23:12
    How about the 1967-1969 Fordor Thunderbirds with suicide doors? They're so seamlessly integrated into the body that most folks never even notice them. I can't count the number of jaws I've seen drop when I reach around and open up that cool backwards-facing door.
    Doug Pacific County December 11, 2013 at 23:13
    I really like the older 4 door cars, these are really cool. The new cars just don't have the same feel and solid feeling. Keep up the great work, and keep finding these older jewels!
    Doug Pacific County December 11, 2013 at 23:17
    I really enjoy these older cars, they're solid and straight. The gas crunch caused these solid cars to basically go away, except for the fun at heart. I really like the Hudson, solid and fast!
    Dave Gordonsville, VA December 11, 2013 at 11:24
    What about the 1988 BMW M5 (E28)? With a twin cam inline 6 derived from the M1 exotic, it was a 150 mph family sedan.
    Bob Cabo San Lucas December 11, 2013 at 11:27
    BMW e39 M5. A true supercar in a classic shape
    Sam Hunter Indiana December 11, 2013 at 11:29
    Four door 66 Dodge Coronet w/426 hemi.
    Brian Brandt NYC December 11, 2013 at 11:31
    Don't forget the Citroen DS!
    Roger Portland, OR December 11, 2013 at 12:20
    Alfa Romeo Giulia Super 1962-1977: 1.3 to 1.6 liter dual overhead cam, twin sidedraft carbs, 4 wheel disc brakes, 5 speed, less wind resistance than a Porsche, enough scoot for the Italian police and enough room for 4 up family cruising.
    Scott Belmont, CA December 11, 2013 at 12:25
    Gary San Antonio December 11, 2013 at 12:40
    1957/8 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham and Chrysler 4 dr hardtops from 1957 w/scissor (2 piece) passenger rear windows.
    Vietvet PA December 11, 2013 at 12:41
    What about the 1991 Avanti II? It was a 4-door built at the Youngstown, OH plant.
    Peter Gluklick Huntington Woods, MI December 11, 2013 at 12:41
    I don't know who's compiling these lists but it seems to me they need some serious learnin' about automobile history.
    Gotham New York December 11, 2013 at 12:43
    1968-1972 Mercedes-Benz 300SEL 6.3 The famous "banker's hot rod." Faster than almost all sports cars of the era.
    Steve Visek Media, PA December 11, 2013 at 12:46
    Great choices! I would add the Bentley Turbo R and the very rare Bitter SC sedan (only 5 made!).
    Tony KS December 11, 2013 at 12:48
    I saw a 4-door 66 or 67 Dodge Coronet with hemi at the Don Garlits’ museum. Was supposedly built for the FBI as I recall.
    Chuck Klim newton,nj December 11, 2013 at 12:50
    the 2003-4 mercury marauder
    Bill LeVan St. Louis December 11, 2013 at 12:58
    This is a no brainer! 2005-2013 Maserati Quattroporte. Best looking 4 door car EVER. I certainly give props to that 62'; and I've always loved the Impala SS but the Quattroporte kills the game
    Roger Duluth MN December 11, 2013 at 12:58
    The 1964 Chev Impala sport sedan was a good looker too.
    Terry Upper Grandview, NY December 11, 2013 at 12:59
    I have always felt the 1960 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special was a very elegant design...a sort of mobile sculpture on wheels with a long and low profile, gently curving lines and minimalist stainless trim accents for the period.
    James Katzen Fabulous Las VegasI have been driving a Suicide December 12, 2013 at 01:11
    I have been driving a Suicide 4 Door '69 TBird for about 10 years. Aside from the rising gas prices it is one of the most comfortable cars to drive and it will pass anything but a gas station with a 429. When I travel and rent a car it just isn't the same.
    eddie lodi December 12, 2013 at 02:34
    lexus l sedans first genration is cool these cars are high demanded and goin up big time in bucks acuras sedans from the 90s is getting rare everyone wants them toyota camry v6 honda acord v6 blows doors off those junk chevies impalas ss chevies is a crap car break down and put together real bad bmw m5 is probally the baddest ass sedan in the planet old ones for 100k$ and going up bigtime in big$$$ dodge charger hemis chrysler 300 is cool bang audio is badass 22s rims in grafite black
    Joel Cary, NC December 12, 2013 at 02:49
    Checker Marathon. Big, solid, ugly yet beautiful in a utilitarian way, and a GM drivetrain with ready parts availability.
    wes romulus,MI. December 12, 2013 at 17:51
    1972- 4 DOOR CHEVELLE I LOVE MY CAR IT GETS LOTS OF LOOKS. I EVEN BELONG TO THE CHEVELLE CLUB OF MICHIGAN.
    Rick Vermont December 12, 2013 at 06:49
    I agree with Brian. How about the new Dodge Chargers?? Let's not forget the Tri-five Chevy sedans. They had all the gorgeous styling of the Belair coupes.
    Gary Vestal NY December 12, 2013 at 11:39
    Mercury Marauder (03-04) SHO Taurus (89-95)
    Tom Musson Yorba Linda, CA December 12, 2013 at 11:48
    You forgot one of the most iconic sedans of all time -- The 1941 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special, more rrevered than the beautiful 58 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham.
    Lisa Lisa SF Bay Area December 12, 2013 at 12:09
    "The few good ones that remain are becoming sought-after collectibles." Further convolutes my dilemma: sell my 95 Impala SS? Hold onto it? Been having a tough time determining its value, dramatic differences amongst KBB/Edmund's/Mecum/etc. LOVE this car, don't love the idea of identifying appropriate storage. Any suggestions?
    Tom Eckels Earth December 12, 2013 at 00:28
    4 doors rule people. I own a 4 door '56 Chevy 210. I bought it purposely as I wanted a car that looked like grandma's on the outside but when you popped the hood you'd go oh! I kinda that though when I put the old classic cragars on it, but other that that it's still stock from the outside. Too bad there's not a way to attach a pic to show it off.......I've won a number of trophies with it and I always get a hoot out of some clueless, non-classic car owning dipstick that says....."nice car for a 4-door" grrrrr.
    joseph klaumenzer green lane,pa.18054 December 14, 2013 at 09:28
    1956 Desoto Firedome four door family auto at its best ,,room for full family great for dollar a car load drive in movies ,,still sleek just enough fin for Mom & Pop date night,it is still a head turner, Just Joe
    P.Johnson Rochester Hills Michigan December 16, 2013 at 19:34
    I always thought the 67-71 T-bird's with suicide doors were cool, very unexpected for a sporty personal car. Also the late 50"s GM Station wagons without the B pillar were kinda like a sport coupe, or even a convertible when the windows were down.
    dave gentry mi. December 18, 2013 at 14:34
    67-71 t-bird. yes they made a 4dr. and its very cool,and kinda rare. dave
    P.Johnson Rochester Hills Michigan December 18, 2013 at 20:46
    The 67-71 T-Bird's were very cool with suicide doors & 429's And the late 50's GM wagons were Sweet, No B Pillar on the Top-o-the-line models, almost like a convert!
    JOHN ROMPPAINEN New Berlin, WI December 19, 2013 at 12:51
    I like the 4 door Corvair, 1965 - 1966 cars with air conditioning
    Mike Ryan United States December 20, 2013 at 17:58
    The coolest four door list is incomplete without the Mercury Marauders from the early 2000s. They were among the last of the authentic American rear wheel drive sedans.
    Gary K Rhode Island December 20, 2013 at 08:54
    What about my 57 BelAir??
    Carol Michigan December 24, 2013 at 22:43
    1967 Thunderbird! I own one, has suicide doors, it get tons of attention at shows and you just don't see them anymore.
    Dennis Deep Gap, NC December 26, 2013 at 09:59
    I drive a '64 Avanti by Studebaker, but what about the 1990 Avanti 4-Door built in the good ole USA with the TV in the rear passenger area? I understand there wasn't but 90 produced and they are becoming very hard to get your hands on one of them. You either love or hate their unique body lines and lack of a grill. I enjoy all the information/articles you provide.
    Randy Stone Winter Park, Florida December 27, 2013 at 12:03
    Growing up in the 60s, I liked to think the only people that drove 4 door cars were sales people and teachers. At least my dad mostly drove cool cars. 57 Chevy Conv. 59 T-Bird, 66 SS396 Chevelle and a 69 Lemans Conv. Today, The only 4 door cars I can consider cool are the 4 door hardtop cars from the 60s. 4 of the above cars maybe great cars, but they're not what I consider cool.
    rob morrison barberton, ohio January 8, 2014 at 01:02
    Surely you forgot about the Yamaha powered Taurus SHO
    Micheal Lippmann Kingsville, Ontario September 3, 2014 at 16:07
    I agree with all of them except for the Lagonda!!! Wow!!! What a piece of work... I can think of many other 4 doors that are way cooler than that one - My 1980 Rover 3500 SD1 sedan for instance - not a big dollar car but a cool car that is a great driver and looks great! Just my opinion FWIW....
    Cody Smith Apple Valley, MN August 12, 2015 at 09:23
    The Fisker Karma (even with all its faults) may be the best looking four door car of all time.