8 November 2013

The Five Cars Baby Boomers Miss The Most

Baby boomers are in full nostalgia mode as they contemplate their lost youth. And as the last generation that really bought into America’s love affair with the automobile, it’s natural that some of that nostalgia is of the four-wheeled variety. Here are five of the cars that baby boomers miss the most:

1. Pontiac GTO: It’s still hard for Widetrack fans to believe that the entire division is no more and for us. It was a virtual tossup between Nos. 1 and 2 as to the most missed car, but with the 50th anniversary of the GTO (and arguably the muscle car itself) coming up, we have to go with the Goat. Not the Australian Holden-in-disguise that we got from 2004-06, mind you, but the real 1964-72 bit of classic American muscle.  May John Z. DeLorean rest in peace.
  2. Pontiac Trans Am: With Pontiac and therefore the Firebird gone, it’s reasonably certain that the famous T/A is gone for good (at least from GM).  We’re not sure if we miss the car or the most audacious hood decal of all time more, but we know we start humming “East Bound and Down” every time we see one. For people who just can’t accept that the Pontiac T/A is dead, performance car genius Ken Lingenfelter will sell you a fantastic Trans Am-inspired Camaro LTA.
  3. Chevrolet El Camino: The half-car, half-pickup concept had real legs, lasting from the 1950s through the 1980s. We think it deserves another shot but GM seems to disagree, having on multiple occasions stubbornly refused to bring back the beloved El Camino.
  4. MGB: MG was the sports car Americans loved first, with servicemen bringing back MG TCs after WWII. When it was introduced in 1962, few could have imagined that the MGB would be the last new MG sold in the U.S. Nonetheless, that’s how it played out. In 1980, with the British auto industry in a free fall, the quaint factory in Abingdon, England, was closed, and that was it for MGs in the U.S. A shame; even though woefully outdated, the car had little to no competition and could have gone on almost indefinitely, or at least until 1989, when the Mazda Miata was introduced.  Those of a certain age still miss the little MGB on sunny days.
  5. Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser station wagon: Nearly every boomer has a story about the Vista Cruiser, whether it’s a road trip from hell or just getting shuttled to school or Cub Scouts or Brownies in one. The Vista Cruiser, with its unique windows on the roof and the back, backseat where misbehaving siblings could easily be banished, was the official wagon of the wonder years for so many boomers.

George Heissenberger Victor, NY November 12, 2013 at 15:03
    Have to agree about the MGB. I love our MGB- I had one in the 70's, and we bought this one 30 years ago and never let go! A fun little car with lots of heart, plentiful parts network, easy to work on and active MG car club!
    Donald Dutton Portland, OR November 12, 2013 at 17:28
    Seriously, 4 GM products and one British sports car??? Absolutely need a 1968 Dodge Charger R/T, 1970 Dodge Challenger, 1969 Ford Mustang 429, and a Shelby Cobra for any boomer nostalgia list!!
    BJ SULLIVAN SARASOTA, FL November 12, 2013 at 19:43
    Good article ref the GTO, BUT....Why do you leave out the 1973 GTO...a real classic
    Rick Tn. November 20, 2013 at 13:05
    I Think you folks are GM people at heart!
    Bryan Corriher China Grove,NC November 20, 2013 at 13:06
    I just got me a 1977 Trans Am and I love it!
    Danny Trent WV November 20, 2013 at 13:06
    I'm surprised the 70 Chevelle SS or the 69 Z-28 was not 1&2! I have the Chevelle, so I'm good!
    Ben Collins Knoxville, TN November 20, 2013 at 13:08
    Come on, you have to be kidding me. I have to agree with Donald Dutton on this one, where's the Mustangs and Shelby's? I have several of each and always have the BB crowd gathering around wishing they had never sold their back in the day.
    TGM NJ November 20, 2013 at 13:08
    "Nearly every boomer has a story about the Vista Cruiser" Really? I think it would have been better to say "Nearly every boomer has a story about big American wagons". The Chevy Kingswood Estate was the most popular wagon of choice in my neck of the woods, then maybe the Ford LTD Wagon. The Oldsmobile was a bit of an oddball, they didn't sell as many.
    Kurt Geis Wichita, KS November 20, 2013 at 13:08
    Right on the missing. I had a black '76 T/A with the big block 400 and the big gold bird on the hood. Also had a lemon yellow '71 MGB. I miss the T/A and wish I had it now. As for the MG. the color said it all. Had it 2 weeks and gave the pile of metal back to the dealer. Always wanted, and still do a '67 Goat. Those were real cars.
    Bill Blackburn Noblesville, IN November 20, 2013 at 13:12
    I'm shocked by a couple of the cars listed but what do I know... I still love the Cobra II & King Cobra models. 2760 pound vehicles with V8, 4-speed and limited slip rearend. Sure the factory horsepower numbers were low but they are so easy to hotrod and make great restomods.
    Mary Lowe Williamston, MI. November 20, 2013 at 13:16
    I have to agree with you on #1. I bought a 1965 GTO new. Unfortunately, when I got married and immediately became pregnant we needed to trade it for something that would be more conducive to a family. Wish I could have afforded to keep it but it was not in the cards. Have often looked for one in past 20 years to replace that dark blue with medium blue interior and 4 on the floor. Those were the days. I notice in description it is referred to as a goat. I never heard that until after I started referring to it as such back in the 60's.
    Brian Ralston Tremont, IL November 20, 2013 at 13:25
    I'm a Ford man, but can't really argue with your choices, except maybe the Olds Cutlass, had several great models I miss. Dodge has brought back the Charger and Challenger although some would argue how well it was done. And the Mustang never went away, although even I would argue the Mustang II doesn't count.
    Frank Sifford Charlotte, NC November 20, 2013 at 13:29
    Aw, come on, man! Ever heard of the VW Beetle? The greatest cult car of all time! Come ON, man....
    Ed Hodgson Sun City Center, Fl November 20, 2013 at 13:33
    I had a 66 GTO but my 2 favorites were the 64 Corvette ( I had two about 25 years apart ) and my 69 Camaro Z28. I had an MGB and would rank it about a tie with my K Car for the worst things I've ever owned , and I've owned about 80+ cars in the last 52 years.
    Robert Dayton San Francisco November 20, 2013 at 13:44
    The MGB had plenty of competition. For example, it was outclassed by the Datsun Roadster 1600 in 1966 and the 67 Datsun 2000 Roadster really blew it's doors off. The Datsun was better mechanically and had better electrics. The coachwork on the MGB was superior to the Japanese cars of the time, but the MGB was at least 20% more expensive.
    Ray Hamman Clarkston MI November 20, 2013 at 13:52
    As a qualified boomer, I have to agree on at least two. Bought a 67 MGB/GT Special in 1967 and 70 Firebird TA in 1970. (There was a 69 Mustang Mach 1 in between). Once the boomer status approached, bought a basket case 70 TA in 1998 and restored it to show car original, and lately have been searching ads for 67 MGB/GTs. The MG was horrible as a daily driver but should be fine as a toy car. I have to admit I've never longed for an Olds Vista Cruiser. But almost any 58 or 59 GM full size deserves a home simply as a tribute to outrageous, over-the-top styling. But then again that Mach 1 was pretty neat...
    Dave montana November 20, 2013 at 13:52
    Hey KOB, you left out the FIRST 442!! I still have mine that I ordered rom the factory in 64. And it blew the doors off fuel injected vettes and GTOS on the strip AND on the street! DW
    Irene South Carolina November 20, 2013 at 13:53
    Vote for the MGB. Loved my used 66 MGB from my youth. It is responsible for my little British car collection today.
    Jeff Drago Woodland, WA November 20, 2013 at 13:56
    I graduated high school in 1962 but never had any cravings for muscle cars. My friends had a German Taunus (sp?), Kaiser, Renault, and '50 Chevy Sedan Delivery. My only Pontiac was a 4-cyl Tempest. I've gone through a '67 BJ8 Healey, '54 Jaguar XK120 Drophead Coupe, and my share of MGBs and MGBGTs. Other than two Mustangs '65 and '67 and a family-years Ford Country Sedan, I wouldn't give a plugged nickle for your other choices. My drug of choice is Classic Minis now...
    Bob Oregon November 20, 2013 at 13:57
    I think you could have lumped Pontiac into one and added AMC.
    G Edwards Medford, Or November 20, 2013 at 13:58
    Except for the GTO, you missed it on the other four. The TransAm and the El Camino would have been in the top ten though.
    Joe Newfield Lodi, Ca. November 20, 2013 at 13:59
    Who, in their right mind, would put an MG or Trans Am ahead of a C2 Stingray or early Mustang GT????
    Paul F. Miami Beach, FL November 20, 2013 at 14:02
    The 1959 El Camino...now there's a look I'd go for today, with the pickup/sedan combo.
    norm Corvallis, OR November 20, 2013 at 14:06
    At 66, I am an early baby boomer. My likes for the classics go back to the 50s. I love the style of the early "baby birds" - 55, 56, and 57 T-Birds.
    Larry siegel Long Island N.Y. November 20, 2013 at 14:07
    Other than the El Camino, all the others are brands that no longer exist or unavailable in the U.S. So unless someone is capable of raising the dead, those names will never appear again. My personal longing is for a full sized monster car, like my first, the 409-62 Chevy. I wish someone would produce one with today's handling capabilities that didn't require the investment of my entire estate.N6
    Don Hatboro, PA U.S.A. November 20, 2013 at 14:08
    As living in the town that Hot Rod magazine once tagged as the 3rd best crusing spot in the country, I'd note the Mustang, 'Cuda, GTO, Chevelle SS, Nova SS, Challenger, and such. But seeing that you've included a MG and the Vista Crusier, I think the real ones missed is the venerable VW Bug, and the Ford Falcon. It seemed as every family had one or the other, if not both!
    Frank Wilkins MA November 20, 2013 at 14:09
    I'm with Donald and Fred on this one. Name a "boomer" that hasn't seen Bullitt. 1968 Mustang GT390, not to mention the Challenger? C'mon people!... Help me out here. Ranchero?... Studebaker Avanti?
    Charles Ca November 20, 2013 at 14:15
    The Vista..wow my old man put a olds Vista together for racing lol 455cid (modified) Big paws in the back. Took a whole bunch of weight out....beechnut yellow...good times. That beast would go....well I was 11?
    Phillip South Carolina November 20, 2013 at 14:18
    One of the sharpest cars of all time was th 64 Ford Galaxie 500 XL. I had one back in the day and now i have one again. The memories of dating because it was a muscle car with a big back seat.
    Randy California November 20, 2013 at 14:18
    Aargh! Yet another repeat of the false story about servicemen bringing back MG TCs and starting the sports car craze immediately after WWII. Not true! For one thing Brits were not joyously running about the countryside in their MGs after the war. Petrol was in short supply for one thing. You could probably count the ones who were in MGs on two hands. And U.S. servicemen returning from Europe and the UK had little money and much more to think about than buying a sports car. This often repeated falsehood always fails to give or show an example of a U.S. serviceman with a new TC in tow, arriving on the docks saying, Hi honey, I'm home!
    Tim Michigan November 20, 2013 at 14:28
    Yes the 65 Goat was considered the first muscle car, I have one now it's the second one ive owned first one was totaled 35 years ago, It would take some real vulgar cash to get her away from me.
    Joe Hoffman Newington, CT November 20, 2013 at 14:32
    I would include the Merkur XR4TI on that list as the car was ahead of its time for the balance of handling and performance of the time, and many performance parts were sold through Rapidio so you could easier beat the V/8s of the that time on straight or country roads.
    Michel Aniel los ángeles November 20, 2013 at 14:32
    nothing Italian ...strange
    peter gluklick huntington woods, mi November 20, 2013 at 14:35
    Not only does this group of boomers miss these cars, judging by the choices other than the GTO/Trans AM they missed the whole point of cars in that period in time. An Olds Vista Cruiser Wagon? Are you serious? That's like missing your 11th grade history teacher. (No offense to those who actually do).
    MG Mary New Jersey November 20, 2013 at 14:46
    So many cars are near and dear to us from our past but the MG is certainly worthy to be on the list! I had 1 in the day and 2 now and when I take them out in public everyone acknowledges the MG as a car they owned or a member of their family owned and how much it meant to them.
    John Ormond Beach FL November 20, 2013 at 14:48
    Ahhh... fond memories of the Vista Cruiser we had. Loved the flip up third row in the back. And oh yeah....who else had the moon roof on their station wagon? lol
    Dave Camano Island, WA November 20, 2013 at 14:48
    My favorite is the 1966 Corvette Convertible doesn't have to have the 427 but is sure nice with it. But what is missing is the hot rod! In that period I put a chev engine in just about anything. I loved the 1955-57 chevs had several with lift off or tilt-up hoods, the TD with a chev 283 was wild, the 1955-57 ford thunderbirds, had one 55 with a hemi under the hood. Loved the cars that looked stock but had a built-up engine under the hood that would just blow the doors off of anything else.
    Bob Klos CARSONCITY,NV November 20, 2013 at 14:50
    whatabouttheFiat124spyders,theywereafuncar.
    John Alaska November 20, 2013 at 14:51
    Nostalgia got the better of me. Last year I bought my first muscle car, 1967 GTO. Now I'm re-living the good old days. I feel so young again. It's hardly what I would call a mid-life " crisis ". Pontiac was doomed the moment they brought back the Goat and refused to follow Chrysler and Chevy's lead and give it the retro look.
    Rich Cleveland November 20, 2013 at 14:54
    No one misses the Mustang because everyone had one and you can pick one up for 10.00.
    Arsey Michigan November 20, 2013 at 14:56
    Had a 67 GTO new in 67..still miss it! Building a 65 El Co with a 385 fuel injected Smc. All tube suspension , 4 wheel disks, 6 speed T56 2 tone w/ TMI interior. As a driver!!!!
    John Knoll Pensacola, Fl. November 20, 2013 at 14:56
    Ya'll missed it! A 1948 Suburban with a 454, and power everything. BUT-- Also have two each 1952 Suburban's that are Stock. 1936 to present day-- The Suburban is the longest named vehicle on the road today.
    Bruce Spring, Tx November 20, 2013 at 15:03
    I was always a Ford guy, but the 67 Camaro had to be one of the most beautiful cars ever made. 68 Malibu, 69 Roadrunner. As mentioned above, cars we owned were very important. In my case a 59 Ford Country Squire station wagon. Hated that thing but what I would give to drive one today!
    Steve California November 20, 2013 at 15:04
    C'mon Man! No Fords?? I agree about the Goat and most of the list...but the Vista and the El Camino? Mustang, Fairlane or even Ranchero should be in there.
    Dave Bunger Bozeman MT November 20, 2013 at 15:07
    I wanted a Supercharged, 4-speed Studebaker Avanti in 1963. 20 years later I bought one & today I still enjoy surprising some more common so-called "muscle cars".
    DW Grand Rapids,MI November 20, 2013 at 15:10
    At what point did this become an opion poll? I liked the authers choice for the intent of the article. I'm not boo-hooing because 2nd gen camaros aren't list though. Seriously, could you choose only 5 cars for your list? Me either.
    Ray Ashenhurst Nashua, NH November 20, 2013 at 15:13
    I'm to old to be a boomer, and nostalgia is about all I got working for me now. This should be cars by class: 1. American Muscle. 2. British sports cars. 3. Any car with a big back seat or area of some sort. 4. Weirdo's (Studebaker, Packer, Kaiser, Crosly, Edsel etc 5. Any car driven by a girl. (You've come a long way baby!) 6. Hudson and Mercury sleds, and that near covers all of them!
    Dale South Carolina November 20, 2013 at 15:18
    If the list is about makes or types of cars not around anymore I think I can agree with most of it. However - I miss the Nomad more than the El Camino. The 240 Z more than any MGB. And my formerly owned '67 Alfa GTV more than my once owned '66 GTO. .
    Tony Maryland November 20, 2013 at 15:20
    If your going for affordable classics that Boomers could afford you can't leave out the Datsun early Z's (240, 260, 280)!
    JeffH SoCal November 20, 2013 at 15:23
    The El Camino? Seriously? I don't think we miss them. Lots of other cool cars from that era, and if we want to get weepy about the companies being out of business we could start with the AMX and head over to the Barracuda, finishing at the Wood Brothers number 21 Mercury.Cyclone.
    Brian Ohio November 20, 2013 at 15:24
    How about the 64-72 Chevelle SS. Always classic muscle! I miss all of the style back then. Cars of today all look alike and are throw away cars. None will probably be worth restoring. Miss the changes in each model from year to year!
    Michael Lovullo wayne, nj November 20, 2013 at 15:30
    I'm going to b 66 & the cars I grew up were the 69 chevelle ss 396, the 68 plymouth gtx & the C2 vette. I own a 67 vette w/427 tri-power 400 hp.
    Jim Cushing, WI November 20, 2013 at 15:31
    1969 Plymouth Road Runner hands down the best "BEEP- BEEP"
    Jason Fell Tracy Ca November 20, 2013 at 15:37
    I agree with Donald Dutton, all GM and a foreign MGB . Every time I take my Shelby %))GT to a show people come up and say OMG can't tell you how much I wanted one of these when I was 16. Oh well great article anyway. Like we use to say in the 60's "Over 90% of all GM cars are still on the road, The other 10% made it back home."..
    Michael Yount United States November 20, 2013 at 15:37
    My dad special ordered a 1965 Olds Vista Cruiser wagon when we returned from his stationing in Heidelberg, Germany in May of '65. We picked it up at a dealership in NJ after we got off the ship in NYC. We had it from the time I was 10 years old until I was 17. Dad ordered it with a V8 and a 4-speed manual transmission - black with red vinyl interior and the extra seat in the 'way back'. That seat faced backwards -- so if you were back there, you really were on your own. As the years went by it acquired chromed/reversed wheels, dual exhaust with Thrush glass-packs and a Hurst shifter. My buddies called it the Dragin' Wagon. Fabulous car that served the family well -- and I had more than a little fun in it on the occasional Friday night when dad would let me take "the wagon" out. Thanks for triggering the memory!
    Mike Rion Hemet, California November 20, 2013 at 15:37
    So much criticism of the poor MGB. I owned a 66 GTO, a 66 Corvette 427,a Trans am and a 65 Mustang convertible in the day. I purchased all in search of a suitable American substitute for British sports cars such as the MGB, Triumph TR, and Austin Healey. All failed miserably as an alternative. I liked them when new and respect the monetary value they represent today, but they all lacked the fun element and staying power of a good British roadster. As a monetary investment I might own the original 4 once more, but for shear fun and excitement it would be the MGB which was my first British car and the beginning of a life long love affair with the breed. I would also posit that the MGB and other popular British roadsters were almost certainly the inspiration for two of the most iconic collectables and highest production sports cars of all time; The Mustang, and the Mazda Miata.
    Beth & Sam Pontiac Pickers on Facebook November 20, 2013 at 15:40
    We miss the top two on your list but keep them alive on our Facebook page... www.facebook.com/pontiacpickers
    RV4Dave Georgia November 20, 2013 at 15:42
    You left out the 1957 Nash Rambler Metropolitan!!!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!! Yeah, I'm joking. BTW: there/their/they're English is a beautiful thing when it's used correctly.
    Keith Birmingham, MI November 20, 2013 at 15:42
    I agree with Donald Dutton (above). My pick is 1968 Dodge Charger. I drove one for 4 years (but not the R/T). 389 CI high performance with 4-speed and buddy seat. I believe the '68 Charger is the most beautiful muscle car ever built. Almost none are out there anymore. Where'd they all go??
    Dave Elonen Ohio November 20, 2013 at 15:43
    Bought my '79 MG Midget and still have it. Not on your list but its a joy to drive . No Camaro, but its still being made. Any muscle car from that era will do fine..
    Cliff costello Endwell, NY November 20, 2013 at 15:43
    Well, I have to say I am surprised to see my car on this list. I am the proud owner of a really nice "driver" 1970 Chevy El Camino ... and I have to say it is one "head turning" vehicle. Get cat calls and honks every time I take it out. I loved them then and always wanted one. Now I have one of my dream cars (or is it a truck??).
    Steve Shaw Callahan Fla November 20, 2013 at 15:45
    I have a 1973 Pontiac Trans Am in my garage. It may not be a concourse restoration, but it's stock appearing anyway. My favorite comments from people are "...wow, I haven't seen one of them in years..." or from the younger generation........" what kind of car is that??...". For a car that's 40 years old, it never fails to impress even me.
    Jack Long Maryland November 20, 2013 at 15:46
    I certainly agree with the MGB. I am on my third one and the more I grew to love the marque the more I wanted a real vintage MG. I scratched that itch this past Spring when I added a TF to my small fleet. Sadly, I had to sell my beloved MGB GT to make room for it.
    Wyatt Puyallup, wa November 20, 2013 at 15:49
    Mg over early Camaro and mustang, challengers, cues and chevII,you can take me off the mailing list I think now
    Dick T Countryside November 20, 2013 at 15:49
    Are all of the commentors from the "Baby Boom"?
    jordan norwalk Ct November 20, 2013 at 15:49
    All the above cars were what dreams were made of no doubt but the majority only got to have their doors blown off by or had one of them that needed so much work and or maintenence ,they sat in the driveway waiting for the dough to get em back on the road.You should have added at least one hohum beater like a Ford Falcon with a straight six and a tape player that ate every other cassete.Thats what most memories were made in.I had a Volkswagen square back that you could see the road through the holes in the drivers floor needed a valve job and of course had no heater boxes.That little hunk of rotten metal got me to more adventures as a teenager,I could write a book (a comic book)on that spaceship.It wasnt until much much later that I could afford a midyear Corvette and the money to restore a 1937 International pickup.Once the bug bites it can be fatal but what a way to go.....
    Dan cedar falls, iowa November 20, 2013 at 15:50
    absolutely love the old Trans Ams… My pampered 78 TA is all bundled up in the garage for the winter.. fantastic vehicle!
    Patrick Lynch Paris, KY November 20, 2013 at 15:52
    None of the cars I would miss are on this list. Based on what my family owned and drove daily back in the day I would be thinking more along the lines of 56-70 full size Plymouths like Belvederes, Fury IIs Sport Furys, VIPs and Custom Suburban station wagons. (Fortunately, I have my grandfather's '68 Fury VIP fast top.) I'd also include 1962-65 Ford Galaxies, 54-69 Chevy Impalas, Biscaynes, Bel Airs and the occasional late 50's Studebaker Golden Hawk.
    Tom Kentucky November 20, 2013 at 15:53
    Dad had a 65 Vista Cruiser, Navy with white vinyl interior. Would love to have that back. Triumphs are waaaay more fun and have way more personality than MGs. Still have my first car, 66 Chevelle. Not a big block, but even the little 283 makes me smile. Keep up the thought provoking articles.
    Ron Los Angeles November 20, 2013 at 15:53
    I don't know how these were selected but I don't miss any of these cars except for the GTO.....how about the Chevy 409, Z28 Camaros, Plymouth Fury with the real hemi,
    Jeff Metro Detroit November 20, 2013 at 16:01
    Late 60's and 70's Cadillac's and Lincolns. Nothing beats driving in the Dream Cruise in a 1976 Eldo convertible or a 1978 Mark V Diamond Jubilee Edition in gold at the Woodward Dream Cruise. Unfortunately, I had to sell most of my classic cars due to the last recession--but still have a few. I drove a 1974 Lincoln Town Car from Detroit to the Bay Area in 1978--wonderful trip. These cars were real luxury cars. I could not afford new luxury cars in the 1970's. Back in the day, in Detroit, we used to say--" a Deuce and a quarter with a diamond in the back"--which means a Buick Electra 225 with a custom top with a diamond shaped rear window.
    Jim Los Angeles, CA November 20, 2013 at 16:05
    I would buy a new El Camino today! Modern creature comforts, navigation, today's reliability. Would be a good vehicle for me.
    Russ Georgia November 20, 2013 at 16:06
    I love my 1973 MGB! We love to take it out and feel the road under it.
    TOM SCRANTON PA November 20, 2013 at 16:06
    HAD 66 AND 69 GTO 69 WAS A RAG TOP 78 AND 80 TRANS AM NO VISTA CRUISER WE HAD THE IMPALA WAGON. I REMEMBER WAITING FOR THE NEW CARS TO COME OUT. NOW THEY ALL LOOK THE SAME.WE USE TO GO TO ALL THE DEALERS ON THE DAY THEY WOULD UNVAIL THE NEW MODELS THEY WOULD HAVE THEM UNDER COVER FOR ABOUT A WEEK IN THE SHOWROOM AND WOULDN'T LET YOU PEAK UNTIL THAT DAY OF THERE UNVAILING NOW THERE'S NO EXCITMENT
    john stlouis missouri November 20, 2013 at 16:09
    the tri 5 an mustang fast back an camaro
    Steve Ontario November 20, 2013 at 16:09
    Well up here in Canada, eh, we got the Beaumont. Pontiac Canada's version of the GTO. It was a Chevelle with a few Pontiac styling cues and a Chevy motor. (Some with big blocks). My buddy had a '68 SD Beaumont with the 3-9-6. Great car. Miss them. It wasn't until '70 that Canada got the GTO. Shame. How about the AMC AMX? Mercury Cougar /Cyclone? Ford Fairlane GT 427? Nobody metioned the King of the hill....1970 Chevelle SS 454 LS6? Buick GSX, 4-4-2 (not 4 forty 2) W-30 with the W-27 Aluminum rear end? Hemi 'Cuda? Gee I could go on and on. Love that old stuff.
    Brian Cooper Florida November 20, 2013 at 16:16
    The article is about models no longer made hence the reason things like corvettes, chargers, mustangs are not on the list. OMG...so tough reading this stuff sometimes which is why I almost never read comments and should have followed my own rules.
    Paul Lima NY November 20, 2013 at 16:16
    My first car was a 1963 MG Midget, loved it.Then a 70 MGB . Then bought a new 1974 MGB GT and stil have it
    Hal Nelson Chandler, AZ November 20, 2013 at 16:30
    MGB was a chick's car.
    Dave morton Maine November 20, 2013 at 16:32
    Liking the MG love - had friends in high school with Midgets and now I have one. Way fun!
    Peter K. Pleitner Ann Arbor, MI, USA November 20, 2013 at 16:33
    I worked as a Pontiac parts chaser and lot jockey an hour from the factory the last two years of high school( '65 and '66) by quitting the varsity team, not cool then but proud of it now because new cars smelled better and I loved the thrill driving the hot ones. But give me a break, only the "spoiled" baby boomers or their daddies could afford a muscle car. You missed the VW! I can't think of another car, except possibly the Model A, that has contributed more to the mobility, image, and mechanical education of my generation. www.enjoyclassiccars.com
    Carl NH November 20, 2013 at 16:39
    I wouldnt even give a second look at any MG, then or now, it was the ultimate throw away car prior to the Pinto/Vega and then Yugo. Since Baby Boomer is described as born between 1946 and 66 you have left out a huge section to choose from and very few I knew were lucky to have their parents buy them a new car at 16-17.So if you were born in say 46-50, you got a nice used tri five Chevy, Olds 88, or Pontiac as well as the Fords and Mercs, even a Hudson Hornet or V8 Stude; 55-57 were the most famous 3 years IMO. Your parents likely had a ho hum 4dr sedan or wagon Mopar, Hudson, any of the GM's and Fords/Mercs and maybe even a Kaiser. If you were born in 56-60 you probably had no use for a fat underpowered smogger of 72 and later and picked the more popular of the 63-71 models; there are too many to choose, I stayed with a series of 63-64 Impalas thru the late 80's and even parked several during the rustbelt months. Thats when the Street Rod revival was in full swing and I then joined that until a few years ago. Always built my own to drive and not trailer. The 32 Ford was the Holy Grail followed closely by the 40 Ford and then the everywhere belly button Model A's; I preferred 35-40 Buicks as I could cruise in comfort for a 1000+ mile trip with the family. They were always our vacation rides with various Buick and Caddy power and auto trans.
    Keith Dunford Quincy, IL November 20, 2013 at 16:40
    I have a special edition 1979 T/A the one with "the most audacious hood decal of all time" - bought it new and now at 32 years young and with about 99,000 original miles still cannot be beat in my opinion. - Sad that Pontiac was thrown under the bus by GM idiots in the "Bailout". Ah well makes my T/A that much more valuable.
    Chazman Northeast November 20, 2013 at 16:50
    Avanti II - 327 Corvette powered. Nuff said.
    ferd the cloud November 20, 2013 at 16:50
    Wow all you guys who list cars that are still in production as cars you miss?! I guess that means you're either oblivious of their new versions, or you don't think much of them. I like all of the author's choices. You can't get any of them in new versions anymore. I also miss the American Motors Javelins and AMXs. They were a lot of fun too. I also miss full-size convertibles. The convertibles that they sell today are so small there's no room for luggage if you're going on a long trip. Well, I suppose I can squeeze enough luggage into my G6 convertible (if I leave the top up), but it's another Pontiac that they don't make anymore.
    Vance Kinlaw North Carolina November 20, 2013 at 16:52
    Although I never lusted after the MGB in high school, I'm on my second in the last ten years. Sure, there were many more powerful cars (like the SS 396 I had for awhile), but the MG never fails to put a smile on my face every time I go for a drive. It deserves to be in the top 5.
    Richard California November 20, 2013 at 16:57
    Sorry folks, 60s cars were the bomb! but my love forever is a 1957 Chevy-- just got one and having a ball playing with it!
    Joe Sid NJ November 20, 2013 at 17:00
    You've certainly spread your net wide, and if you titled the article The Five Cars Baby Boomers Remember The Most, we'd be in closer agreement. But when you indicate these are the most 'missed', I have to disagree. I'll just say that for me, in no particular order, are the 66 Pontiac GTO (I had a 65 Lemans ragtop and loved it but I have to say I think the 66 body and powertrain look and perform a bit better), I'd probably go with the 68 H/O over the 442, I can't imagine leaving out either the 67 or 68 Camero. By 1968 the Mustang had come of age and was one of the most popular cars around. I was tempted to go with the 69 or 70, but 69 saw a change in look from the front a bit moreso from the rear. The 68 retains much of the original styling by had gained respect as a real Saturday night competator and avenues all over the country. I'm going to finish my 5 with the 1965 Chevy Impala SS. While I believe it to be one of the most elegant classics (I happen to own one), the real reason is that GM sold more of this model (allowing for non-SS models as well) than any care before it.... by far. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
    Joe Sid NJ November 20, 2013 at 17:01
    Jim wherever I choose November 20, 2013 at 17:01
    I'm too young to be a baby boomer, but can say I don't miss my 1970 Mach 1. It was nice to own but for the work I put into it, it was not very fun to drive. Sloppy steering was the main culprit, and that was with all new modern components. I understand the 71-73 cars were better in that regard but I'm not after a vintage car right now. I do miss small RWD cars in general. I'd take an RA21 Celica over the many cars of the era and of today. It's a shame that everything modern and small is wrong wheel drive. I'll gladly keep my IS300 Sportcross Wagon until it falls under classic status, and best of all nobody will know what it is. It makes me smile more than my Mustang did, whether I'm driving or just looking at it.
    Brian Phoenix, az November 20, 2013 at 17:13
    Mgb was a fun car, not everybody drove muscle cars back in the 60's. I had a 65 GTO , it was truly awesome. what about a VW beetle, I'm sure there's a lot of good memories there.
    Phil Atlanta November 20, 2013 at 17:18
    I wasn't able to buy an MGB in my teenage years. I just bought a 1972 last year and love the car. Easy to work on with plenty of part availability. I get a lot of stares and finger pointing as I drive. Many have told me they had one at one time and miss theirs now.
    Phil Atlanta November 20, 2013 at 17:19
    Dave, Monroe, Michigan November 20, 2013 at 17:21
    This looks like a General Motors commercial! Not sure if you are a baby boomer, the choice of missed cars doesn't agree with a typical car nut. My list would be, in no particular order. The GTO, early Mustang, Cuda, Challenger, 66 Fairlane, Chevelle, VW Bug.
    Rod G Tampa Bay November 20, 2013 at 17:22
    I agree with Irene's comment, as I loved the little 66 MGB I owned in the 70's. Mine was not responsible for a British Car Collection but it was responsible for my first daughter! And don't forget an honorable mention for the long gone "underdog" AMC brand. My 70 AMX is still the little car that could!!!
    Frank New York, NY November 20, 2013 at 17:27
    I can't believe your leaving our the '67 to 69 Camaro, especially the Z28, Chevy had a blast in the 60's; Camaro, Chevelle and when all else failed, there were some really done up Nova's out there too! Love the GTO but my heart belongs to the 302 DZ.
    Conrad Kerwath Sugar Hill November 20, 2013 at 17:31
    You got two of them right. I am a Boomer and I was in the car business for 40 years. Back in the day it was all about performance. My list would be GTOs, SS396s, Road Runners, Big Block Fords, and Jaguars. That's the cars I saw spinning tires at red lights.
    Brian S Wisconsin November 20, 2013 at 17:37
    To BJ Sullivan. 73 GTO? Classic maybe, but not a real GTO only a ventura with GTO badges.
    Patricia Hayden Fresno, CA November 20, 2013 at 17:37
    I still have my 1970 GTO, so I don't have to miss that one. Bought it brand new and ordered it the way I wanted. Remember when you could do that? Four-on-the-floor, 400 engine. I drive her on a regular basis. Still lots of fun.
    Ben Howells Allentown PA November 20, 2013 at 17:37
    I guess there aren't many of us who loved the Loewy/Stude classics '53 onward (for too short a time). They STILL look in vogue! Preserving them was a challenge - body metal didn't last that long - but stock, or judiciously de-chromed - - there was/is a classic!
    B J Hoefle Lakeland, FL November 20, 2013 at 17:38
    My favorite of the above cars is the El Camino. I have a 85 GMC version. Always garaged, never used as a every day driver, with little over 70K miles. Enjoy this more than any other car I've ever had, and I've had a lot.
    Su Zi Florida November 20, 2013 at 17:38
    The GTO--what a lovely car: so elegant, yet so powerful; true true true a work of art albeit automotive art. No car was ever more beautiful
    Brian Wisbith Lisbon, Ohio November 20, 2013 at 17:42
    What about the 1973 Dodge Charger. This is a really great car . I have a 1973 Dodge Charger SE with the original 440 magnum under the hood. When I take this car to the shows or even just cruising it turns alot of heads and draws alot of attention. Just seems like they are never talked about.
    Bill Saint Louis November 20, 2013 at 17:43
    I'm not sure that a Brithish car should be in the too five but, if so, it should be an Austin Healey 3000!!
    Casey Indy November 20, 2013 at 17:45
    I miss em all. All makes and models. I've been lucky enough to have had some real nice cars, from Fords ,Chryslers,Dodges, Plymouth, lots of neat old Chevys , Triumphs and VW s. I only miss em in the winter as I can't get to the cruise- ins and car shows to see em all. I own a 1964 Chevelle Malibu SS and a 1929 Model A HiBoy. So if your missin one get out to the cruise-ins and see em or better yet find one and save it from doom , then join in the fun
    Dingo Indiana November 20, 2013 at 17:46
    Where's the Chevelle? Couldn't agree more on the Vista Cruiser.. Was just talking to the wife the other night how "the gang" used to pile into the Vista Cruiser on Friday/Saturday nights. It was the only car big enough to haul us all around.
    RonB Surprise, AZ November 20, 2013 at 17:47
    Your picks are , for the most part, right on the money. The 442 - I had a '66 - is a definitely memory maker, but I have to add the 1969 Pontiac Grand Prix. That was the first one with its own body - the "G" body - and, to this day, is one of the most beautiful automobiles on 4 wheels.
    Dennis Hegg CA November 20, 2013 at 18:02
    What...no Camaros.!
    Fred Boehm Port St lucie Fla 34984 November 20, 2013 at 18:05
    You Forgot my 76 Monte Carlo
    Ray Cunningham Lawton, OK November 20, 2013 at 18:08
    My first new car was a red '67 442, and my third new car was a white '78 Trans Am. I loved both, but the 442 was favorite. What great memories...
    Graham Arlen Oakland CA November 20, 2013 at 18:12
    I have had my share of TDs, MGAs, MGBs, Healeys, TRs, and Lotii, but would not exchange any of them for my 60 Giulietta spider which I have had for 35 years and still looks and runs like new and out handles any of them. Living in the Bay Area, service, good Alfa mechanics and parts are never a problem and I have not had the top up in many years (because the frame need work !). The hood (bonnet) has louvres which date to the 70s so I cannot use it in the rain, unless I drive very fast, which I (and the car) like to do...
    James Master CA. November 20, 2013 at 18:13
    Ahh, good old British engineering, design, quality control and electrics....how I loved them. Having grown up on British motorcycles plus one MGB, I look back with great nostalgia to all the roadside breakdowns, the engine fires, worn out rings/bearings and blackouts. Gad, what good times those were. In fairness, as a senior citizen, I seem to have come back to the inexplicable draw of vintage British iron, which iron was obsolete even when first manufactured. I guess there's no accounting for the misguided sentiments and affections of an old man.
    Andy Minnesota November 20, 2013 at 18:16
    Oh my.... I am a great 67 Plymouth GTX fan. What a car! Came stock with a huge 440 cu in., 375 hp engine, and a 426 HEMI, at 425hp was available. Today a numbers-matching GTX brings big bucks and tons of looks. This car really needs to be on the favorites list.
    Rocky Phoenix November 20, 2013 at 18:28
    Have to agree with Montana the 442 was awesome. I had a 65 and it was hot. The corvette is still the mother car like it or not.
    Denny San Jose, California November 20, 2013 at 18:31
    We all have different memories and experiences with cars. I'm a do-it-yourself restorer, and a sucker for the underdogs, like the big swept back MOPAR fin cars designed by Virgil Exner ("the Forward Look") in the late '50s, similar to the '57-'58 Plymouth Fury in "Christine" the movie! I currently own a '58 De Soto Firedome Sportsman 4DHT, which we use each Summer to cruise over the hill to Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk with friends. Love the push-button Torque Flyte automatic!! Also like the big luxury boats, and have a '66 and two '64 Imperial Convertibles. What a smooth ride!! As far as British sports cars, I had a '58 MGA in the '60's, and currently own a '58 TR3 roadster I bought from my aunt, and am looking to buy another one from a friend for restoration. Nothing wrong with the good old GM cars as well!! Where are the Fords??
    Ted Mooresville,NC November 20, 2013 at 18:44
    Hey,I was born before WWII started...what about the 36 Ford 3 window? I still drive my 70 Cougar XR7 "M" code..nothing like a 351 Cleveland...TG
    Rob Kissinger Reading Pa November 20, 2013 at 18:47
    There are much more than the five you listed. I agree with the GTO and the Trans AM but only up to 79 when horsepower was derated. The cougar falls nicely in there since only a third of cougars were made compared to the number of mustangs.
    Morgan Ontario November 20, 2013 at 18:49
    Good list. The funny thing is, my dad had a '70 Tranner with a 455 h.o., and I had a '69 GTO. Both are gone, and sorely missed. Whatever muscle car is your favorite doesn't matter. What matters is that we keep restoring and looking after these great cars!
    Patrick Roy New Jersey November 20, 2013 at 18:55
    Yep. After graduation from college, I bought a Pontiac GTO in Ohio, a gift for my wife.
    Ron HuntingtonBeachCa November 20, 2013 at 18:56
    Love my 72 El Camino SS
    Wayne Duszczak Toms River N.J. 08757 November 20, 2013 at 19:01
    You left out the Plymouth Satellite 426 Street Hemi. Ok most missed???? what about Plymouth Road Runner Beep Beep?
    Randal Texas November 20, 2013 at 19:01
    I loved the MGA I drove in the mid-60's. However, the '67 Goat I drove in the late-60's and I still drive today is my favorite.
    Tom Seattle November 20, 2013 at 19:01
    No XKE???!!!
    Gary Chittenden Canada November 20, 2013 at 19:20
    I had a 58 TR3. Great fun, but I don't miss it. It couldn't hold up to my"style" of driving. I miss my 59 DeSoto. Coral Sand, 19 foot odd and I could easily blow the doors off a New 69 Olds 442. Clocked at 147MPH with an inch and a half of gas peddle left. Sorry, I drifted off there. Who voted? Are we supposed to vote for one of the five? In that case I really liked those Vist Cruisers.
    george maryland November 20, 2013 at 19:30
    hey yall do not forget the 1967 Plymouth GTX 440 i was smoking everything in sight Great car finally found and bought another one in 2003
    Marc Fair Lawn NJ November 20, 2013 at 19:31
    El Camino? MG? Maybe somewhere else but in New Jersey I'm rooting for the elusive MOPAR's. How about a Road Runner, GTX, Cuda, Charger
    Steve Denver CO November 20, 2013 at 19:34
    So cool to see that the first two cars on the list were Pontiacs!
    Marilyn WA November 20, 2013 at 19:37
    I agree- what about the great Mustangs and Mopar. Love the old 'Cudas, Road Runners (still have a '70 I love), Challengers, Chargers, etc. The 442's and GTO's were beautiful then and now, as well. I also agree with the Corvettes and how about the '54-57 Chev classics???? How could ANYONE leave those off??? The station wagons-never owned one and never will!!
    mike enfield,ct November 20, 2013 at 19:47
    wait!!..you forgot the absolute best cars in the world ever!!..the 1971-76 chevy impala-bel-air and caprices!!..2dr-4dr or convt or best of all..wagons!!..drive great-good brakes..cool big car styling..and them make the best killer demolition derby cars ever!!...so if its driving round in your big block ragtop or wood grained wagon...zipping down the highway in that cool 4dr sedan od smacking up the other competition with your killer wagon-71-76 chevy impalas....the best cars ever!!!!!!!!
    John AZ November 20, 2013 at 19:51
    So did you actually ask any boomers or just kick this around with the office staff? If you insist on the MGB, I contend the Fiat 124 Spider was a better car. Easy to work on double overhead cam, 4 wheel disc brakes, a 5 speed gear box, and a top that could be put up or down with one hand.
    Dave Illinois November 20, 2013 at 19:58
    First, a big thank you for not using the word "iconic" anywhere in the article. You should have included the VW Beetle, though.
    Tony St. Petersburg Florida November 20, 2013 at 20:09
    For the youngest baby boomers indeed the Trans Am is missed. In the second half of the 70s it was THE car every teenager wanted to have off the showroom floor. I never knew anyone, personally, in my lifetime, that cared about the MGB- I don't get that one??
    Tony St. Petersburg Florida November 20, 2013 at 20:12
    James Steelman Redford, MI November 20, 2013 at 20:16
    Good call on the GTO at #1. Baby boomer car aficiandos of all nameplates I believe would agree. That car passes all barriers. Don't agree with the MG. Yes, there was interest at one time, alot moreso than now. I don't know of anyone clamoring for one. Would have like to have seen possibly a 'Cuda, Roadrunner or the like. The iconic '69 Chevelle or perhaps Shelby Mustang would have been appropriate for us baby boomers as to "missing the most". In my opinion, the best year of musclecars across all nameplates would have been '69, as it seemed every manufacturer had something hot going on. It also strikes me as the majority of baby boomers were into some sort of muscle. Again, that is just my take, but I believe it to be accurate, being a baby boomer myself from the Detroit area.
    Karl Carmel California November 20, 2013 at 20:23
    You are forgetting one of the Baby Boomers #! standby.That would be the Volkswagon Beatle and of course the Volkswagon BUS. These German cars….up until the year 1967 were indestructible and affordable. Not to mention the high-quality German construction and just plain "cool" factor. The VW Bug could beat a GTO for the first 15 feet in a drag race. Impossible to break the tires loose. Not on the Goat. Lots of Smoke and mirrors. Most of our off-spring were conceived in the VW Bus. Add it to the list please
    DR Orwick Miami November 20, 2013 at 20:23
    Well being a owner of a 79 Trans am this would be my favorite. I love pulling the car out in the driveway washing it and taking it for a spin. Its definetly a head turner.
    John Niehaus Iowa November 20, 2013 at 20:31
    What about the VW beetle? I have owned 4 of them and still have a 67 with the original engine awaiting restoration. I have a Wolfsburg "birth certificate" to validate that point. It is "owned" by my special needs son. He is a high functioning autistic. I would love to get it restored so that I could take him for rides as we did when we first bought it. I have neither the expertise nor the funds to pay for a restoration. As he is autistic I have attempted with no success to find someone who would do a professional restoration of "Bean" - my son named it that as it is currently a coffee bean color - contingent on my donating the proceeds from the sale at some time in the future to Autism Speaks. BTW: My son and I are the official photographers for the DEs Moines, Iowa Autism Speaks walk since the first walk over 10 years ago.
    George Whiteley Blairsville, GA November 20, 2013 at 20:31
    American muscle cars, MGB's....really? For the enlightened Boomers of the seventies-- it''s 'gotta be the BMW 2002!
    Robert Rosmarin Yonkers, NY November 20, 2013 at 20:33
    The articles focus is on cars that are no longer being produced. Pontiac, Olds makes the list. Chevy still has camaro and vette. Dodge has challenger and charger and dart. Ford still has Shelby and mustang. For me it's the Olds Cutlass. My grandpa had a 70 4 door. Yellow with tan vinyl top. Still think of that car to this day
    Carl NH November 20, 2013 at 20:37
    Mark PA. November 20, 2013 at 20:40
    What ! .... no AMC Pacer station wagon with woodgrain on the sides.
    Tim Nobles Kansas November 20, 2013 at 20:56
    Of your choices here, I would definitely have to go with the Goat!
    Dave Illinois November 20, 2013 at 20:56
    You forgot the VW Beetle. Thanks for not using the word "iconic" in the article.
    Steve Pettersen Chico, Ca. November 20, 2013 at 20:56
    I have no axe to grind w/ the MGB choice, but I really feel the Datsun Z cars really have to be on that list. Those cars not only put the British sports cars into retirement, they put the Japanese manufacturers into a serious position in the U.S. sports car market. How could they be not mentioned? They were a game changer!
    Larry Michigan November 20, 2013 at 21:01
    Like the 65 GTO,but Ilike the 66 GTO better. What about the late 60's Fairlanes and the Mercury Cyclone?
    BigWaveDave California November 20, 2013 at 21:09
    Based on the Hagerty list, my choices would be ..... Muscle Car: 1st gen Plymouth Road Runner. Pony Car: Hemi 'Cuda. 3. Utility Vehicle: VW Bus. 4. Euro Sports Car: Porsche 914 2-liter. 5. Mom & Pop Car: Ford Galaxie Starliner. Also rans would include: Buick GSX Stage 1, AMC AMX, Alfa Romeo GTA, Buick Riviera
    Bill Wetzel Calera, ok. November 20, 2013 at 21:12
    I don't miss the MG, I have a 79 MGB and love to drive it.
    Karlan Los angeles November 20, 2013 at 21:14
    Why isn't the Honda CRX listed? How about Mazda Rx8 I no and old dude that had a Honda CRX in the old days back in 1990 he said that car was wicked fast and got 60 miles a gallon! Those Hondas are now getting big bucks at sales. They like sell for 30 40K my ride is a 95 Accord coupe with some tricking out itt sfast and gets thums up. It is a classic that will only go up in value.
    Karlan Los angeles November 20, 2013 at 21:16
    Don LaPorte,TX November 20, 2013 at 21:16
    Agree with the GOAT 100%. Had a ’65 out of High School and it was stolen. Got another one a few years ago and it’s under lock and key in the garage. Nothing compares in my opinion.
    John Southern mi November 20, 2013 at 21:21
    Just drug a 64 GTO out of the woods in northern Michigan, totally rotted...It will definitely need all of my attention. Show y'all in three years. 4 speed too!!
    Joe Richmond, VA November 20, 2013 at 21:24
    Sure do love my '70 El Camino. Nice list. Couldn't agree more with the picks here. Goat is at the top of my list, for sure.
    Natalie D'Amico Cook Rochester New York November 20, 2013 at 21:28
    Lest we forget the 9 passenger Ford Country Squire station wagon! As a family, we could put the little sister in the back seat with Grandpa and Grandma, while my brother and I sat in "the way back", facing each other, playing Scrabble on road trips!Once I got my license, it was the perfect car for Friday night football games, 3 people in front, sometimes 4 in the back seat, and who knows how many in the "way back", at least everyone chipped in for gas, even if it was 35 cents a gallon!
    jim ramsey nj November 20, 2013 at 21:33
    Gto makes sense however i would have thought the ss396 chevelle would have made the list along with the gt mustangs also the c2 vettes and chargers.
    John Missouri November 20, 2013 at 22:04
    I agree with the GTO, but what about the OLDS 442 and Cutlass SX. Tjhose are the ones I miss most and look for at car shows. 1963-67 Corvettes are also a favorite.
    John Washington November 20, 2013 at 22:35
    MGBs were nice but really they represent an entire category of cars: All the small, simple, affordable British sports cars of the postwar decades. Most of which swirled down the British Leyland drainpipe more or less together.
    Ted Brewer South Carolina November 20, 2013 at 22:40
    I guess I am living proof that your list is pretty accurate. I was born in 1946, and had GTOs back in 1966, 67, and 69. Traded the last one for a new 70 MGB convertible. Today I have two classic cars, a 70 GTO, and an 82 resto-mod El Camino.
    Don Cardoza Oakland, NJ November 20, 2013 at 23:14
    Like Wayne Grey from Browns Mills, NJ, my “magic car”is a 63 Falcon Sprint Ragtop! Like Wayne, this was my first car, and I, too, regret selling it! Finally, like Wayne. I bought another one! In spite of my being part of “The Mustang Generation”, I have never liked the original Mustang! Surely, it was the right car at the right time, but always struck me as cheap and very tinny! FWIW, were it not for the Mustang, the Falcon Sprint would have been a HUGE, Huge hit! I’m actually a little too old to be considered a Baby Boomer, but I do have a set of nostalgic cars! to wit: • How ‘bout the ’49-’50 “James Dean” Mercury! The darling of the George Barris customizing set! • Any pre-sting ray ‘vette (53-62)! • The Ford Galaxie 500 XL ragtop, ’62-’67! • The ’58 Chevy Impala (Looked like a baby Cadillac!) The ’59 and later models were “over the top”; • The Chrysler 300 series, (’56 300B – ’61 300F) • Jaguar XK-E 3.8 Roadster • ’55 Ford Crown Vic/Sunliner • The ’53 Studebaker “Lowey” coupe; • The 2nd Generation (’65-’69) Corvair; • The ’56 Chevy BelAir sports sedan (with a roofline very different from the tudor); • The Porsche Bathtub Speedster; I also liked the ’64-’65 Comet Caliente, although I can’t tell you why!
    Rick Moulton United States November 20, 2013 at 23:20
    I happy to finally see my Trans Am come up in a nostalgia article. I bought my 1977 Black Trans Am when I graduated from college and still own it and still in show room condition with just over 50 K on the odometer. I've owned a lot of cars over the years, but that one holds the most memories and will always be in my garage
    Walt Bryant Englewood, Co November 20, 2013 at 23:30
    It's inevitable that many favorite cars could be omitted, but I have to agree about the MGB. I've had 2 since the early 70s and still have a 66 B that I've spent thousands restoring (ground up) and fall in love with her again each time I turn the key. She looks just like the one in the picture (same color and interior) except Maggie does not have a luggage rack, but she has right hand drive, overdrive and wires. She drives like a brand new car and I'm sure my grandson will enjoy her when I'm gone. There's nothing like finding out-of-the way roads in the mountains...the twistier, the better!
    Bill Green Bay WI November 20, 2013 at 23:41
    What! No question the Goat and T/A left a void, but to not mention the 69 Chevelle with its 396 or the 69 440 Roadrunner or the 69 383 Super Bee or the best selling 65 Mustang is almost sinful! These are the nostalgic cars that we Yooper boys wrenched on, competed in as our daily drivers, and miss today. Fortunately my boys have carried on the love for the muscle car of the Baby Boomer era.
    Mark California November 20, 2013 at 23:56
    Of course I have to vote for the mighty Olds 442. If you were in or around SF, CA back in 1974 through 1977 AND into hot fast cars, you may remember my '65 442 deep sparkle blue 2-door hardtop, that was built for full-on quarter mile strip racing but driven on the street. It was one of the 3 fastest cars in The City. Trading Top Honors with a full-built 1968 Z-28 and a 1970 Charger R/T, also built to the hilt. All 3 of us could pull the front wheels off the ground. It was a time of muscle cars everywhere and the cops wouldn't even to try and catch us when we street raced. LONG OPEN AREA STREETS ONLY. SF was so overly built yet. Great Memories! Thanks!
    Steve Ellis Lynwood, CA November 20, 2013 at 23:58
    Hey Dave, you're right about the 64 Olds 442. I always wanted one, but the best I could do is buy Mom's 64 Olds F-85 Convertible, with the B09 Police Interceptor option, a 330 HP 330 CI motor. Still has the knee knocker tach on the console. That car gets up and goes!!!! Same motor, I believe as the 442. Later models got a 400 CID or bigger..Steve.
    Eric Marr Appleton, WI November 20, 2013 at 12:28
    I'll add a couple of vehicle types overall, rather than just a handful of Models. I miss the station wagon. Not necessarily the fake wood clad versions made up through the late 80's, but, the sport wagons made from the 90's through today. There are only a handful offered here in the U.S. anymore, having been largely replaced by the minivan, and now the CUV. Give me a nice, smartly styled wagon over any minivan or CUV and I'm happy. Second is the 2 door sedan. Not the tiny coupes made by several auto makers, but, a car like the Accord Coupe. Two door cars are still much sleeker and cleaner looking that even today's fastback sedans. People say they aren't practical, but, I say that there is more to the driving experience than practicality. A decent sized 2 door, like the Accord, has a decent sized back seat and trunk, and can be quite practical even for family use.
    Brian Wolfe Tehachapi, CA November 20, 2013 at 12:32
    You forgot the Opel GT, a small powerful agile vehicle.
    Steve Mcqueen SoCal November 20, 2013 at 12:32
    Hagerty your killin me with the constant propping up of the MG or MG B. You continually find ways to get this make into your magazine now in your top 5 missed cars.... I know the editor of the Hagerty magazine is a huge fan of the car, but LET IT GO ALREADY! There are NOT masses hoping to get there hands on another one of these cars. You want to say they loved there Austin Healey's or Triumph TR6 fine, sunbeam tiger another cool small car. Let the constant promotion of the MG go PLEASE
    Jim Cande Moultonborough NH November 20, 2013 at 12:34
    I couldn't agree more about the El Camino. Just watch the prices over the next few years.
    dan kind fla November 20, 2013 at 12:38
    I agree with Donald Dutton for the most part, but would list: the GTO, yes, but where is the Corvette? agree with the Shelby Cobra ( I have a 68 gt350), Olds 442, and perhaps a 641/2 Mustang.
    CJ CA November 20, 2013 at 12:39
    I had a '65 Goat rag top. Never should have sold it, that 389 with the floor shift got up and went. Trans-Ams always seemed over-rated to me, I don't miss them. El Camino had a couple good years and some dog years, same as Ranchero. I owned MG's and Austin-Healeys and I miss the Healeys, both 4s and 6s, a lot more. I also had a Vista Cruiser, actually the Buick version which used the same body. They were OK but I can't say I miss them.
    James sanders Seattle November 20, 2013 at 12:39
    Sure there may be other cars. This does represent an iconic group, and how cheeky, and fresh, is the appearance of the MGB.
    Wayne Grey Browns Mills, NJ November 20, 2013 at 12:40
    I believe that all us car guys and gals remember, and miss, most of the cars from our past. That would include cars our parents, our friends, ours and/ or just cars we wish we could of had. I always regretted selling my 1st car (1963 1/2 Falcon Sprint Convertible Dad bought me in 1964 when I was 16 - sold it in 1967). Fixed that lost memory by finding and buying another one in 1984. Driving it brings back memories and always brings back memories to those people that stop to talk to me about it. That is what our hobby is about - preserving cars to allow others to relive their past too. Spread The Smiles.
    Kim Bartlow Mesa, AZ November 20, 2013 at 12:43
    I have to add a vote for the 1965-1967 Olds 442. Especially the 1967 442 in all forms. The coupe has one of the most beautiful profiles of all 1960 cars, amen. KOB
    Fred Mchugh Deltona Fl November 20, 2013 at 12:50
    Most all gm or cry i see on here, not much on the mustangs that out sold all of them in the 60s, i have a orig 68 big block coup, one of one built by marti, o/w dont think your site is into it....Fred.
    Ivan california November 21, 2013 at 01:00
    I can see why all these cars made the list. Yes, many beloved car candidates got left out, like Checker Marathon cabs and air cooled VWs and mini-trucks. I have a soft spot for classic El Caminos so was pleasantly surprised to see them mentioned.
    Roger Greenville NC November 21, 2013 at 13:01
    My two MGAs and MGB-GT drove me crazy. In 1972, I got my first Datsun Z car and have been with Zs ever since.
    Tim S Sacramento, CA. November 21, 2013 at 13:29
    Poor forgotten AMC....How about the sleek & powerful 1970 Mark Donohue Javelin ! What about '68 thru '70 AMX? When you come out of Kenosha, Wi., you just don't get much love.
    Phil Miazga Red Deer Alberta Canada November 21, 2013 at 14:15
    I think what everybody is going to miss are ALL the big block muscle cars...... It doesn't matter what your favorite make or model is, there was nothing like it. On a personal note, as the previous owner of a El Camino, that is the one I'll miss......
    Bill Lutz Auburn, Maine November 21, 2013 at 14:36
    Ordered a 79 Trans Am while station on Okinawa, Japan in 78. Pick it up July of 79 at Columbia Pontiac-Toyota in Boston, got station in California until i retired and move back here. Love that screaming Chicken,
    Steve MA November 21, 2013 at 03:32
    67-68 Mercury Cougars and Mustangs. Camaros and GTOs also. Everybody had these. I'm a child of the '70s and it seemed everyone drove those cars.
    Steve MA November 21, 2013 at 03:32
    Jim Light Indiana November 21, 2013 at 15:37
    Hello---no one mentioned the 65-66 Mustang! That car should be on top of the list.
    Greg Colorado November 21, 2013 at 15:59
    How can your list not include a Ford or a Mopar?
    Jim South Jersey November 21, 2013 at 16:24
    What about the 57 chevy, 67 chevelle SS, 67 -69 camaros, chevy IIs.
    howard scott Florida November 21, 2013 at 05:02
    Always thought the Triumph Spitfire was a much more appealing car than the MGB. After driving a Spit, an MGB felt like a school bus in comparison. Also, how about the mid 60's Chevy Corvair. A 65 Corsa convertible is just as much fun to drive as most anything on this list. Name another American muscle car that came with 4 carbs!
    howard scott Florida November 21, 2013 at 05:03
    ferddo the cloud November 21, 2013 at 17:50
    Wow, don't understand why some of you guys list cars that are still in production as cars you miss (Corvette, Mustang, Dodge Charger). I guess you don't think much of the current versions. I miss all of the cars the author mentioned, as well as cars mentioned in the comments, although I was never so fond of MGs since I could barely fit in them and they broke down so frequently. But Mazda proved that there is still a market for the MG with their Miata. I miss big full-sized convertibles. Stuff like Bonnevilles, Impalas, Galaxies, Continentals, Chrysler 300s, etc. It's hard to fit enough luggage into one of today's convertibles for a vacation trip, especially if you're going to drop the top. My Pontiac G6 convertible has just enough room if we pack carefully and keep the top up, but even that is a car that isn't produced anymore.
    Fred Sigarto Ohio, soon Florida November 21, 2013 at 05:54
    Datsun 240Z should make the list. Great mpg, 21 city, 27 highway. In 72 I purchased a new Datsun 240Z, for $4000, if you could find one..You could sell it for up to $6500 the next day, according to Car & Driver or Road & Track. Currently own a 72 240Z and a 69 Fairlady ZL right hand drive.
    JoAnn New Jersey November 21, 2013 at 18:12
    No question, the MGB. It was my first new car. I had a 1970 MGB BRG, my father had it in red and my brother had it in yellow gold. I loved that car but not in the winter when the snow blew in and went down the back of my neck. Even with the drafts and hot summers I still wish I had it now!
    Bonnie Southwest Michigan November 21, 2013 at 06:13
    I agree on the MG's. Always a FUN car to drive. It takes some inguenity to keep them going, especially the old ones. I had received a 1959 (which had been a basket case) for High School graduation and had it for many years. It got old and sold it as my family was no longer able to help me refinish it. I purchased a 1980 brand new. which had an engine fire after 1 1/2 years of driving (catalytic converter). Had it been made in the US, I think it would have been recalled as I heard of many other cases of this happening. Anyway, I still own the 1980 and my husband found the 1959 and gave it to me as a B.D. present. It is in the process or a full rehab, but has a LOT of memories attached. Fun Fun Fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    John croton on hudson, ny November 21, 2013 at 06:30
    I still cringe at the thought of not still owning my 1968 Olds 442 with w 30 package. What a beast.
    colin norton beaverton oregon November 21, 2013 at 19:17
    What no 1st gen Camaros,r
    Russ Topanga, Ca. November 21, 2013 at 19:17
    Selecting just 5 cars is creating fighting words. We are all very opinionated. At one time or another I owned all 5. I tend to like the old Brit cars especially Daimlers (oldest british car manufacturer). I recently aquired a Daimler Soveriegn and an E-type Jag but miss the gas drinking muscle cars of the early 60's. Fond memories of a Chrysler 300 FF with two four barrels that would do 150 before the end of the street. Do we also remember they wouldn't stop quickly or stay on the road in a turn at that speed. I don't remember any seat belts either.
    Jim Sulzbach Ohio November 21, 2013 at 07:31
    the 1965gto is the only real classic car.
    Dave Ohio November 21, 2013 at 07:36
    I think your choices are just fine, even though I only owned one: a '74 MGB. I always was a Euro sports car lover and always will be. I recently sold my all-original (very good condition) 1960 Bugeye Sprite and got big bucks for it, which helped pay for my retirement sports car: a new Cayman S built to my spec!
    Pete Helwig Southern Maryland November 21, 2013 at 07:44
    Must agree with Steve McQueen, my 65 TR4A (non IRS) was droolled over by several MG owners. My brother ordered a 1965 442 in a Vista Cruiser body, four speed and all, that was a lot of fun. Think about having your doors blown of by what looked like a grocery getter.
    TONY L HEREFORD GADSDEN AL. November 21, 2013 at 08:00
    This is tough. Growing up I thought that I would always be a GM man. But as I get older,now 49 I like everything! I've owned a lot of different makes. I've always loved the 69 GTO. I owned one in the mid 90's. Kinda funny that the T/A made this list,I bought one back in June! It's a 1975 455 silver with orange decals. I also have two 1972 Chevy pickups.
    Tom F Pittsburgh, Pa November 21, 2013 at 08:09
    To leave out the E-Type (XKE) Jaguar is unforgivable.
    RBP SC Penna November 21, 2013 at 20:30
    I always liked El caminos, so in 1980 I bought an SS...& still own it today ! The four speed tranny makes it fun to drive, & the 8 track tape player still works just fine. We moved our whole household with it TWICE ! I've won many shows with it since restoring it. Look it up..Google: "Ron Plummer El camino"
    Edwin Alvarado Yonkers,N.Y. November 21, 2013 at 08:42
    You cant forget Chevy Camaro Z/28 one of the badest car in its time loved driving it then and I love driving it now more. .Keeps me young
    Diz Dean McDonald, Ohio November 21, 2013 at 21:19
    I am the proud owner of a '64 & '74 GTO. And what about the first gen Camaros? I have a '68. I am on my 3rd El Camino. GM was gonna release a Pontiac El Camino (Holden) in 2010, but dropped it when they nixed the Pontiacs. RIP Chief Pontiac!!
    Dean Canada November 21, 2013 at 09:44
    I happen to own the best of both worlds with a 68 Firebird 400 convertible and a 76 TR6. Reaction by friends and folks on the street are the same, whether they love one or the other. It is a peek at "back in the day" with comments like I had one, wanted one, neighbor had one, whatever. It is so subjective to pick one car over another. The new Camaro's, Mustangs, Challengers and even Miata's look great but they cannot reproduce the style and feel of "back in the day".
    Ken Coatesville, PA November 21, 2013 at 10:01
    I like the list but it would have been better had the author generalized on the car classifications, having the selected photo represent a series of similar cars. The big automakers of the time always tried to copy the successes of the others and each of them has fans. Now let me give you MY list which is the DEFINITIVE one...
    Joe Jensen Wisconsin Rapids, WI. November 21, 2013 at 10:11
    High school 1974, the cars we had then were all American, lots of Chevys' Nova's and Chevells , Ford Mustangs , Fairlains, and Galaxies. Mopar sport furies, cudas, and roadrunners. One guy who's dad had the AMC dealership drove a Javelin, and their was a guy I knew that had the Rebel Machine. Most of the cars were from the mid sixties, even some 57 Chevys. We all wanted horsepower, and there was a lot of cars that could give just that. I had a 66 Galaxie 500 2door fast back, I now own an other one, built like I wanted in high school, but couldn't afford to back then.
    Joe Jensen Wisconsin Rapids, WI. November 21, 2013 at 10:14
    Adam Lindenbaum Monticello, NY November 21, 2013 at 10:22
    The biggest ones you forgot are Plymouths. The Cuda, Road Runner, Fury, Gran Fury (the car whose front end put fear in every driver thinking there was a cop behind them in their rear view mirror), the GTX and so on. Even the 360 Volare Road Runners were quite stout little movers. I own a '57 Savoy, '58 Fury, '73 big block Road Runner, and a '75 Gran Fury 440 police package and every one of them is a hell of a car.
    Adam Lindenbaum Monticello, NY November 21, 2013 at 10:22
    Dustin Indiana November 21, 2013 at 10:41
    Where's all the love for the 68-70 American Motors AMX, another American built two seater.
    Greg Lemkau Wauconda, Illinois November 21, 2013 at 11:02
    I have a 1975 Trans Am w/ 97000 original miles, 455HO, 4 speed Hurst, Blue w/ White interior, blue dash completely restored in mint condition.Does anyone know what this car is worth??
    Steve Ellis Lynwood, CA November 21, 2013 at 00:00
    Bob Keck sherwood, Oregon November 21, 2013 at 12:05
    Sure, the Fifties and sixties cars were great for their time. A totally overlooked later series is the Eagle Talon/Mitsubishi Eclipse in the turbocharged and all wheel drive models. Truly great performers at prices much lower than Audi or BMW.
    Paul California November 21, 2013 at 00:18
    I got the GTO and surprisingly the wagon right. MG? Ah, no. Cool car, but the low tech car most of owned and miss is the original VW Beetle. The others I guessed were classic 55-57 Chevys, although they were getting expensive and scarce when I got my license (late late boomer), and the first series Camaro / Firebird.
    Dick Illinois November 22, 2013 at 02:32
    I liked the MG A much more than the B. But the car I always wanted, (And never got), was the Austin Healey 100S.
    Jane Wilson Georgia November 22, 2013 at 15:30
    Ditto. The OLDS 442!
    Mike Champion United States November 22, 2013 at 17:34
    The people wanting some Mustangs, Challengers, Chargers and some other cars must not be able to read. These cars are in production - so they aren't even considered for this list. I can agree with 4 of the 5 vehicles listed. The MG had a very small (but loyal) following. The GTO, Firebird, El Camino and Vista Cruiser are all vehicles that are highly desireable to a large group of baby boomers
    mary ann cape coral fla. November 22, 2013 at 07:44
    The beatles ..yesterday.??my beautiful 1969camaro ss396 white with orange stpipes..my bucket seats .stick shift.the RUMMBLE ..wow do i miss that car.i seen one they were asking a low $90,000 well needless to say i did not buy it..but i can still smell the memory of the leather.and feel my hair blowing when i floored it top down and she flew.no match for the mustlee we had then.just like us.theres no match. .. Peace
    chuck Connecticut November 22, 2013 at 08:31
    Steve McQueen. You, should give it a break, there are a lot of us that like automobiles from across the pond including MGB. Nothing is finer than a fall cruise in a B with the top down on a twisty New England road with the red and gold fallen leaves swirling in your rear view mirror. My 1969 MGB gets as many thumbs up as my 1965 mustang GT. If you look at the typical issue of Hemmings almost 1/3 of the Mag is imported cars including MGB. So yes Steve, there is a MGB It still lives in the heart and soul of car aficionados every where and you need to move on.
    John Missouri November 22, 2013 at 20:36
    I agree with choice of the GTO. But, I miss the 65-72 Olds 442 and 70 Cutlass SX. Also miss the 1963-67 Corvette Stingray.
    Dick Maddux Milton,Fl November 22, 2013 at 09:45
    Well personally I love the TR3. My first car at 18 was a red one I drove it thru the Colorado mountains every chance I had. I now own 2 of these beauties. I drive one of them thru the NC mountains every spring,summer,& fall. Love it !! (and so do lots of other folks) MGB ? ...kind of like kissing your sister (not too cool)
    Danny Boy Chicagoland November 22, 2013 at 10:09
    Ah yes, the '67 Cutlass Supreme or 442 for sure!
    Ted Vance United States November 22, 2013 at 22:15
    We flew around the Sonoran Desert listening to the Doors and having the time of our lives in my best friends'brothers' Datsun 2000 . It was quick and nimble and the reason I later got a job at Datsun when the Z cars came out.
    joseph suizzo United States November 22, 2013 at 10:15
    my father started my love affair with the automobile he owned his own used car lot then went next door to dodge and sold new from 1962 thru 1984 every family member bought from him my passion was for the dodge dart gt which one of his mothers sister purchased ordered and kept till she passed in 1986 and only to find out she left me the car i still have her as of 11/22/13 and in barn find condition all paper work from order sheet in showroom to bank loan papers paid off original dealer key chain which matches rear bumper sticker thank you dad
    T.L. Colorado November 22, 2013 at 00:10
    I seriously doubt that masses of people are missing the El Camino or Vista Cruiser. And I agree with some of the other comments; what's the deal with 4 GM cars and one British sports car? I really think that with a little more research, you can do better than that...
    Daven Anderson Denver, Colorado November 23, 2013 at 14:03
    Regarding the El Camino: The Pontiac G8 version of the Holden Ute was ready for U.S. sale just before the axe fell on Pontiac. A Holden Commodore Ute could easily serve as the basis for a U.S. Chevy El Camino. The Commodore is already sold in the U.S. as the Chevy SS and the police-only Caprice
    Joe Shelby Hazle Township, PA November 23, 2013 at 16:56
    I owned a '70 Olds Vista Cruiser station wagon. It is not one of the cars that I would want back but I don't regret owning it. It was a cool look with the vista windows and the fake wood panels on the side. Mine was green. The vinyl "wood" on the sides hid all the back-yard body work that it required. I kept up with the frame and body rust over the years and finally moved on to an Olds sedan with the 403 small block. I drove the Olds to keep the miles and weather off my '70 Chevelle. Those were fun days.
    wayne poe Varnell,GA. November 23, 2013 at 08:29
    IT"S REALLY good to have all of the memories of the high horsepower,,sporty ,, 4-speed, super cars that we had as teen agers. And it is great to hear that some still have them to enjoy...But for me what I enjoy most is.the young people asking what is your car ( a camero )?( a mustang )? no just a 72-Maverick..
    Ron Nor. Cal November 24, 2013 at 14:11
    In it's price class, I prefer a Triumph over an MG- More Bang For The Buck!
    John Missouri November 24, 2013 at 18:17
    I agee with the GTO. How about the 65-70 Olds 442 and 70-71 Olds Cutlass SX? Those are my most missed. Also, the 1963-67 Corvette Stingray is a favorite.
    John Missouri November 24, 2013 at 18:19
    Jim Hand Glen Ellyn, IL November 24, 2013 at 19:29
    From the time I was a young boy till well after I was grown and married with kids of my own my father always had American station wagons, mostly Buicks, except for our first wagon which dad let me help pick out. It was a used mid 60's, white with blue vinyl interior, Ford Galaxy wagon. I couldn't believe he let me pick it. Why did I pick that particular car? Blue was my favorite color. But as I said, from then on it was Buicks. Being a boy my favorite place to ride was, of course, in the "way back" which is why I mostly noticed the tailgates of dad's cars. They flipped down, swung out - or my favorite - the tailgate that dropped into the floor. One wagon I always wanted my dad to buy, however, was a Vista wagon with the windows in the roof. Vistas being Oldsmobiles he never did but I did get to ride in one once. Couldn't see much through that green tinted skylight and from then on I didn't really care that much anymore.
    Jason Bouchard North Carolina November 24, 2013 at 19:31
    I think we all would have to agree that there are many' many cool cars from that erra , Any of us that grew up during the 60's and 70's and drove thse cars as our daily beaters are the luckiest generation ever! We had the privlidge of owning and driving some of historys great muscle cars that will never be reproduced again! Oh yes there will be replicles and kit cars, But nothing beats owning and driving the original! I personaly had the privlidge of having owned and driven many cars from that time period! I have many favorites! Ah Great memories!
    Glen Golden, CO November 24, 2013 at 21:46
    Couldn't agree more with the Vista Cruiser comments! When we take our '69 442 and '70 Vista Cruiser to the local cruise night, everyone has a story about a Vista Cruiser in their past, while 442 stories are few and far between.
    Jeff Bean Macon, Georgia November 24, 2013 at 22:37
    The Olds 442 was the second fastest "Muscle Car" in my neighborhood until 1969 or 1970. The 66 and 67 442 handled MUCH better than the shorter wheelbase models that preceded them..so bumpy roads and turns were not as "scary". The fastest hands down was the Buick GS....It was all about "long stroke" and torque. 396 Chevelles or GTO's could not stay with the 442 or the Buick at all. If I remember correctly the Buick "nail head" engine produced more torque than the 426 MOPAR Hemi...maybe just a tad less? Torque ruled in the street racing in my neighborhood.
    GaryNenninger Cromwell,CT November 24, 2013 at 23:18
    I am the original owner of a 1963½ Triple Black Falcon Sprint convertible that is a 30,000 mile un-restored car that I babied for 50 years. I love my Sprint and would not trade it for anything but, who in the world are the baby boomers who voted these five cars as the ones most missed? Any list with no Mustangs/Shelby's or even Corvettes cannot be taken seriously. Four GM cars and one foreign car, you must have used a GM club to find your baby boomers. I find it hard to believe that a real car guy of the 60’s and 70’s misses an MGB. I generally enjoy your articles, but every once in a while you guys go off the deep end, like a couple of years ago when you listed a Mini Cooper as a future collectible car. I am embarrassed for your panel.
    Jerry Ricci Providence, RI November 25, 2013 at 14:28
    My list for the top 5 cars I miss are: 1967Corvette Stingray roadster, 1969 Camaro, 1965 Shelby GT, 1965 GTO, and 1965 Jaguar roaster.
    HoustonDave Houston November 25, 2013 at 14:57
    No Mustangs? No Chrysler products? The El Camino, worse, the Vista Cruiser? Please, gents, get serious.... take a poll in the general populace of Boomers and you will probably get something like a) 1st gen Mustang, b) Split-window Corvette (heck, almost any Stingray) c) GTO, d) Barracuda, and e) 57 BelAir. Runners-up maybe the Beetle, Impala, heavy Chevy lkike the SS396 Chevelle, Cutlass.... but El Caminos were driven by greaseballs and a station wagon was a chastity-mobile.
    JYoder NC, US November 25, 2013 at 11:12
    No 67-69 Camaro?? You're kiddin' me!
    Too Many Cars New Orleans November 26, 2013 at 11:19
    Technically I can't say I miss the MGB the most since I didn't have one back then but the club support and parts suppliers for this model tell me that a lot of boomers do. I used to snicker at MGB's back in the day while driving V8 American iron. Maybe it was because it rhymed with MPG and no one cared about mileage at 29.9 a gallon. It wasn't until last year when I bought a '66 B and read a little history on them that I gained a new found respect. They came stock with dual carbs, aluminum hood, factory oil cooler and real wire wheels ($100 option) and were designed to be the poor man's Aston Martin. All MGB's had front disc brakes since 1962 while Chevrolet didn't even use them on the Corvette until '65. It was built to be a high speed touring car and it was said that you could cruise all day at 100 mph without a problem. As the most prolific sports car of all time (half a million cars over 18 years) it deserves a place on this list. As a piece of history that you can actually afford to buy and drive the MGB has many fans and few rivals. Now about that Vista Cruiser.......
    Allan AZ November 26, 2013 at 00:54
    MGB???? Nothing but a miserable little leaky rust bucket!
    Denny Napier Roseburg OR November 28, 2013 at 13:08
    Include me in the MGB Admirers group! I had three (all GTs with wire wheels and O/D). They were the most reliable and fun cars I ever owned.
    Roy Williams North Texas December 10, 2013 at 21:30
    Ok, are we talking about Boomers or our kids??! ANYTHING newer than 1970 is not a vehicle we grew up with, unless it was a very used car! Personally, I'm a full size nut, with my 1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL as the top one ( Raven black, white bucket seats, 390 cu in, swing-away steering wheel & still has the dealers plastic seat covers on it ) Also love 62 Oldsmobile Starfire, 62 Pontiac full size, 63 Impala ( the best looking full size Chevy ) 58 Buick ( with probably the Most chrome of any car ) & my favorite wagon...1968 Chrysler Town & Country, mine came from original owner, who spec'd the car for towing an Airstream , 440 engine, .323 rear end, and boy that big heavy car could fly! Muscle cars are great, but remember race fans, Hudson Hornets and 57 Rambler Rebels came LONG before the GTO!!! Don't think I do not love the muscle cars as well, just wanted my big car with room for the cooler of brew.
    Scott McGrath Sunny South Florida December 11, 2013 at 17:11
    Right on all counts. Still driving my MGC 33 years and a quarter million miles after purchasing it. I think that the 90's Olds and Buick Vista Cruisers are a nice substitute for the original and do the kid-hauling soccer-dad duties in an LT1-equipped RoadMaster. I'm currently trolling for a 65 Pontiac, so guess that an Elco can't be that far behind. I'd love to figure out a way to bring a Holden Ute into the states.
    Terry Bowman W. Michigan September 4, 2014 at 10:10
    Altho I am surprised with the surveys choices, specially vista cruiser. Predicting, future and even past in the auto business, is like economists when the majority is wrong as expected. but the text and comments are very interesting, entertaining , and the reason people including myself read them "Keep up the good work"
    Tom Ostrowski Luxemburg, WI November 13, 2014 at 16:10
    If you mention the El Camino, don't forget the Ranchero, it was produced first. Started in 57, Camino wasn't made till 59.
    David ( Skip ) Herald Dallas, TX. November 14, 2014 at 17:42
    I Agree That The " Baby Boomers " Grew Up Enjoying Many Great " Nostalgic Automobiles " . Before Coming Back From NAM I Ordered My 1St. New Car. 1968 HEMI / T. Flite Plymouth GTX. My Passion Has Always Been MOPARS .
    Jim Wickline Bearsdale, Il November 26, 2014 at 20:38
    Another Classic like the 1973 GTO would have to be the 1975 Roadrunner.
    VolandoBajo Cruising the Boston-Richmond Corridor (with my radio on...) March 12, 2015 at 05:05
    Eh, wot? This was clearly written by someone who craved an MGB and grew up in a General Motors family. Let's try this instead: (5) 1961 Plymouth Valiant (4) 55-58 Chevy (3) 55 Ford Fairlane Police Interceptor/Mercury Montclair (2) 1961 Jaguar Mk II 3.8L sedan, complete with wire spoke wheels with knock-off hubs; and DRUMROLL (1) Austin-Healey 3000-6.
    Iain Manitoba, Canada May 14, 2015 at 13:00
    Late 60's Chev Biscayne's, 427, 2 door coupe, 4 speed, bench seat, sleepers. Loved them still do, cant find a good one under $100k now.
    george scheck portland oregon May 14, 2015 at 00:11
    what about the 1949-50 mercury 2 doors !!! had a 1950 my first car now own a 1949 chopped coupe. a real classic !!!!!