16 October 2013

Project Mustang Road Trip: We’re traveling 2,776 miles in a 1964½ Mustang

Hold your horses: Hagerty is hitting the road again.

In honor of the Mustang's 50th anniversary in 2014, we thought it would be fitting to purchase a 1964½ for our next employee restoration project. And what better way to debug our new pony car than to drive it 2,776 miles from its current home in San Francisco, Calif., to its new home at Hagerty headquarters in Traverse City, Mich.? (You may recall how well this strategy served us during our Route 66 “Trip of Fools” in April 2012.)

This time, though, we’re bringing along a crack mechanic: Hagerty Parts Finding Specialist Davin Reckow. In addition to an already-completed pre-purchase inspection, Davin will fully vet our Mustang before we hit the road.

So how well will our three-speed manual coupe fare on this jaunt? Stay tuned….

We leave this Monday, Oct. 21. Check out our route details below, then “like” us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to keep up with our progress, make suggestions about what we should see and do along the way, and receive information on how you can meet up with us and even score some Hagerty swag.

Check out a map of our route here. Here’s a day-by-day breakdown:

MONDAY, 10/21: We’ll take delivery of the Mustang from ABC Mustangs in San Francisco, and drive to Reno, Nev., stopping at Lake Tahoe along the way.

TUESDAY, 10/22: We’ll drive from Reno to Rock Springs, Wy., making sure to check out the infamous Bonneville Salt Flats while we’re at it.

WEDNESDAY, 10/23: Our journey will take us from Rock Springs, Wy., to Lincoln, Neb., but not without first seeing some Mustangs in the wild on the Pilot Butte wild horse scenic loop tour.

THURSDAY, 10/24: We’ll travel from Lincoln to the Windy City – Chicago, Ill.

FRIDAY, 10/25: Our trip will end in Traverse City, Mich., with a stop in Detroit to visit the Dearborn Ford plant where our Mustang was born.

Frank New York City October 16, 2013 at 16:30
    Love to see some photos of the trip, especially the ones once you get to the Detriot Plant. Thats going to be wild. Do you have any of the original paper work that came with the car or the window sticker?
    John NY October 16, 2013 at 16:34
    Mustangs road trips are the best! You should join the Mustangs Across America 50th Anniversary road trip this spring and drive from LA to Charlotte Motor Speedway.
    gary merrill corpus christi tx October 16, 2013 at 17:56
    I would replace belts, hoses and thermostat to be a little more likely to be trouble free----- made a 4000 mile trip with my 70 challenger and all went well------LOT'S OF LUCK!!!!!!!!!!
    Thomas N. Calif October 16, 2013 at 18:27
    If you want to do something Trully COOL with the car, why don't you turn it into a convertible or a fastback? That way you can show us what you did along the way... Also would make a good car amazing or GREAT. Thomas in Cally
    CLIFF LAS VEGAS October 16, 2013 at 18:28
    You shouldn't say here's a "DAY-BY-DAY BREAKDOWN" LOL
    Rich Hougey Concord, CA October 16, 2013 at 18:45
    Hi, I live near Hayward, CA. I would like to consider meeting up along the way, but I'm not on facebook or twitter. It appears you are not planning to take much extra time along the way. Are you inviting folks to come to Hayward to see you off? I drive a (restored) 1968 Mustang coupe. My son-in-law drives a (restored) 1970 Mustang Mach1, but he's not likely to be able to get off work. Rich
    jerry mccumby carolina shores nc October 16, 2013 at 18:48
    If you stay over in Rock Springs WY check out Coyote Creek Steakhouse and Saloon. We stayed in Rock Springs last week and found it a delightful place for dinner
    Wayne Eudy Calabash, NC October 16, 2013 at 18:55
    How about a 65 coming up from Calabash, NC and meeting you at the Dearborn , Mich. plant and visiting it's cousin and tell stories as to what they have been thru.
    Michael Miller Reno, NV October 16, 2013 at 19:00
    While in Reno, you NEED to see The National Automobile Museum. It is outstanding, and could be a great separate article for your magazine and this website. While there, I'd be proud to show you my award-winning 1958 Pontiac Bonneville (restored to original). The time for this stop could likely be adjusted to fit your schedule.
    Don Cunningham Ceres, CA October 16, 2013 at 19:01
    I think that is great you driving a trip in an old car. I have always wanted to do the same thing. I live in CA and my brother lives in FL; a great trip it would be! You have a big advantage with guys riding shotgun! I am a retired mecanic, so I would take along my own shotgun (tools and parts). GOOD LUCK! Don C.
    2VT Rocky Peak, CA. October 16, 2013 at 19:15
    Rock Springs, WY. Home of Rock Springs International Airport. Which is the largest single piece of concrete poured. (So I've been told)
    MelvinBrown PhoenixAZ October 16, 2013 at 19:23
    Iwouldtoridealong
    Ken Novi,Michigan October 16, 2013 at 19:24
    FYI - one of the Ford plants that produced the original Mustang is Dearborn assembly which now produces F series trucks. The Mustang is now produced in the Flat Rock plant.
    gary christensen Lincoln, NE United States October 16, 2013 at 19:41
    I live in Lincoln and have 2-1864-1/2 K cars (two out of the three registered in the K-Car Registry in Nebraska). I would love to bring one of my K cars over to wherever you are staying to compare notes for a few minutes. Gary Christensen
    Richard Bonfond United States October 16, 2013 at 19:42
    AWESOME! :-) Best of luck...
    James P. Hester (Jim) Bloomingdale, Il. 60108 October 16, 2013 at 19:44
    I restored a 64.5 Pony 6 cyl., 69 Mach I 390 Big block, and, currently, 83 Pony Convert. V-6. I was under impression that all 64.5 Pony's had 6 cylinder engines, but not in your picture! Am I mistaken? Jim Hester
    john hurst shepherdsville ky October 16, 2013 at 19:51
    IN JUNE 2013 I DROVE TO VANCOUVER,WASHINGTON IN A 1948 CHEVY TRUCK. THE TRIP WAS OVER 7000 MILES. IN SEPTEMBER 2013 I DROVE TO KALAMAZOO,MICHIGAN TO BURLINGTON, VERMONT TO YORK, MAINE IN A 1948 LINCOLN CONV. THE TRIP WAS OVER 3500 MILES. BOTH OF THESE ARE COVER BY HAGERTY Editor's Note: Thank you for trusting us with your classics, John! . .
    jerry benefield alabama October 16, 2013 at 20:01
    love the mustang, looks like the same color as my 65
    Robert Graves Sidney, NE October 16, 2013 at 20:11
    Better stop in at Cabela's here in Sidney Wednesday on your way by. Sidney is the corporate headquarters, where it all started many years ago. If you do, let me know and I'll bring our red 66 Mustang to meet your 64 1/2. I'm sure your 3 speed will do just fine. Also if you like Mexican food, Corona Village in Laramie, WY is pretty darn good. Sounds like a good trip!
    Jay Ridenour Lincoln, Ne. October 16, 2013 at 20:19
    Hope to see the mustang on Wednesday.
    Rolando Zamora San Antonio. TX October 16, 2013 at 20:50
    What do you do with the car once the trip is completed? If you sell Sell it I I would like to bid on it.
    Curt Orangevale, CA October 16, 2013 at 20:58
    I live only a few miles from I-80, east of Sacramento. Do you have a timeline (approx) when you'll be passing through? It might be fun to follow along in my '66 Mustang for a few miles on your way to Lake Tahoe. Also, where are you stopping & how are you getting to Lake Tahoe? Regards, Curt
    Marion Davidson Weatherford, Ok 73096 October 16, 2013 at 21:26
    Looks like you are avoiding Rt 66 through Oklahoma but if you change your mind we will feed on the Route, Marion Davidson Retired, Ford Dealer of 45 years, see our web site wwww. Route 66 Thunderbirds.com
    Gregory McClain Phoenix, AZ October 16, 2013 at 21:28
    The hoofbeats of America because Hoofbeats are much louder than Heartbeats
    Eric Klamath Falls, OR October 16, 2013 at 21:39
    Leave Lake Tahoe from the southwest on 50, and out of Cars on City to Virginia City. Virginia City, NV is a must see and on your itinerary.
    al graff lexington, KY October 16, 2013 at 21:45
    Love the update
    John Wills Wentzville Mo. October 16, 2013 at 21:54
    WIshing you the best. . .it would be nice if the radio was locked into music of that period perhaps the Johnny Rabbit show. . .
    Owen White Ainsworth, IA October 16, 2013 at 22:10
    I would assume that if you are traveling from Nebraska to Chicago, probably using I-80 across Iowa you will be within 25 miles from where we live. We have a 1966 GT Mustang Convertible and am 3/4 complete with the restoration of a '65 Mustang Fastback. We'll try to follow you on the computer on your route, perhaps we'll see you when you pass through Iowa City, IA. Wishing you the best of luck on your trip, it should be a lot of fun.
    Jim Snyder Waverly, Nebraska October 16, 2013 at 22:33
    Don't go through Lincoln, Nebraska without visiting Speedway Motor's Museum of American Speed. It is the finest racing museum in the country.
    Paul Cannon Camas, Wa October 16, 2013 at 22:34
    I own two 65's and one 66 mustang. I expect your trip will go without any big problems.
    Edward Arizona October 16, 2013 at 22:37
    Looking forward for the results of the trip
    Cynthia Arnold Lumberton, Ms October 16, 2013 at 22:57
    I have an original 1966 Mustang Coupe in mint condition. Would LOVE to be able to meet up with you guys if your trip takes you through the southern area. Have a SAFE trip regardless!!
    Tony Arlington Texas October 16, 2013 at 23:44
    Hello y'all, this is Officer Tony Almonte and own a 1965 mustang in mint condition. Please, next time you organized another trip please, let me know and I be more then happy to join you guys. I received a lot compliment about my mustang and looking for a mustang club near Dallas Fort Worth area. What I like the most is that many dealers sales mustang parts and it's very easy to get them online, eBay or local stores. I would love to send you pictures or my mustang, this pony is the best ride I ever had. 718 753-3925. Please keep us posted about your great trip and tell us how much fun is to ride mustang to different places and locations.
    Ron Wheeler Reno NV October 17, 2013 at 17:21
    Hope to see you guys when you go through Reno. As you see Sugar Bowl exit, you need to take it and end up in Truckee CA. It is the Lincoln Hwy.
    Mike Texas October 17, 2013 at 07:29
    Send a chiropractor, a masseuse, and a bottle of ibuprofen on the trip too. The driver will need definitely need some physical therapy at the end of each day after sitting on 50-year-old seats!
    Greg Haluczak United States October 17, 2013 at 07:50
    If you've never stopped there, gas up at the I-80 truck stop in Wolcott ,Ia. Great place to stretch the legs a bit and take a look around the shop. If not doing interstates, come up IL 29 along the river for a gorgeous fall drive. Safe travels!
    john herman wood river ne October 17, 2013 at 19:56
    take a break at Kearney ne @ I-80 PLATTE RIVER ARCHWAY you'll driver right under it. it is an interesting stop covering the settlement of the way west. I owned a '65 notch back in high school, now Hagerty insures my 1952 f-1 street rod
    Butch Ivey Mtrn View Arkansas October 17, 2013 at 08:07
    Would love to take that drive . I own a 1965 Mustang convetible 289 4 speed. Love my car
    Rene Desany Jericho, Vermont October 17, 2013 at 20:10
    Good luck on your trip,---even though I was never a big Mustang or Ford fan, even "back the day" in the 60`s.-- Always was a Chevy and Mopar guy. Made cross country trips a lot back in the late 60`s with my 65 Impala and my Dodge Dart,--- I now own a 67 Coronet 2dr hardtop in "mint shape" which I plan to drive out West or down South next summer.
    Tim Vandiver Russellville, Alabama October 17, 2013 at 08:21
    As a Mustang owner I look forward to following your trip. Maybe it will give me some vacation ideas.
    George LaDuke 49675 October 17, 2013 at 08:31
    I bought a '67 Mustang coupe in Glendale, CA in 1988. Drove it home with my then 9 year old son. He'll be 34 in a few weeks and I still have the car and enjoy it every summer, but its ownership will pass to him in the near future.
    John Florida October 17, 2013 at 08:56
    700 mile days is pretty aggressive for a 50 year old car.
    Don Greer Boerne TX October 17, 2013 at 09:23
    An impressive trip. Please consider a detour as you cross Wyoming. Please take Rt30/287 as you cross the mid part of Wyoming, It will not add much to the trip, but it will take you through Medicine Bow WY. In order to understand that yo must read "The Virginian" by Owen Wistler. The Virginian is the first of the cowboy novels. It is a good read. Understand that The Virginian opens with the author being met as the author gets off the train in Medicine Bow by the Virginian. They then take a buckboard from Medicine Bow to the ranch, which is just west of Casper. If yo will look at the map you will see what a trip on a borse drawn wagon that was. The hotel still stands. You will also pass through the country where dinasour fossils are recovered. In Cheyenne be sure to stop in the city park to see the massive steam locomotive used to pull trains over the continental divide you have just crossed. Because of the wide open spaces it is hard to understand the hurculean task of crossing the divide. The locomotive will give you a feeling for that. South of Laramie Rt 287 to Livermore/Fort Collins roughly parallels one of the trails used in our westward migration. The trail had to turn north to avoid going over the Rockies. There are still visible traces of the wagon wheels dragged up over rocks. That portion of the trail was lost to history until just after WW II. A United Airlines Captain who was also a history buff was climbing out of Denver for Portland when he noticed traces on the ground. (Remember we were flying low altitude DC 3s and 4s in those days) The United Captain was curious enough about the traces that on a day off he went exploring, and found what they were. You will have driven across Wyoming in a day an area that our pioneers crossed at a rate of 5-10 miles/day
    Steven Vilardi East Rockaway. Nassau, NY October 17, 2013 at 21:38
    Be prepared to re-jet the carburetor in the high points of the Rockies. Bring some warm clothes and a folding bicycle for emergencies. I've done the trip several times. Going east your passenger will get a sunburnt right arm. Don't forget a roll of paper towels and a bottle of windex the w/s washers probably do not work. Do not drive after dark. You will miss a lot of great scenery and big animals darting across the road at night. Bring some rope, duct tape and basic tools
    Jack T San Pablo, California October 17, 2013 at 10:01
    You better take a set of hotter spark plugs. At high altitude (Lake Tahoe) that carburetor will give too rich a mixture, and you'll have a big miss. I worked in a garage at Tahoe many years ago, and I adjusted many a carb. Oh, from I-80 at Truckee, you must make a detour to see the lake--do it anyway! While at it, go around the Nevada side and take 50 to Carson City, 395 back to Reno. This is THE scenic route! Back in the days, I worked at Harrah's Club-South Shore, and I had to ride up from the Reno club in one of Bill Harrah's Ferrari's, maybe a 250 SWB--that was fun.
    Wade Randolph Lovelock, Nevada October 17, 2013 at 10:27
    Hope we get to see you along the way.. I have a 69 Mustang fastback, 68 Charger R/T, 68 Firebird, and a 67 GTO convertible. Would like to meet up with you. If so e-mail me.
    Bob Wilson Suttons Bay, Michigan October 17, 2013 at 10:44
    Have a good trip but check those belts and hoses. Also the tires, front tie rods, fluids and brake pads. I own a 65 and 66 Mustang and those items bit me on both cars. Good luck.
    Mike Hawkins United States October 17, 2013 at 10:49
    Having survived many long road trips I must say those seats are going to be uncomfortable after about 250 miles. Get some sheepskin pads or a seat cover to keep you from going crazy and being miserable. I suppose your chase vehicle will have fluid replacements but that old engine might want some STP after the middle of the second day. Bring lots of books on tape/CD. Good luck
    shirley losey owosso, mi October 17, 2013 at 10:53
    I have a 67 dusk pink original mustang, bought new in 67
    George Murphy Oak Ridge TN October 17, 2013 at 12:15
    If not already done, be sure to replace the BRAKE HOSES on that Mustang before setting out. Old hoses deteriorate from the inside causing the hose to act as a check valve, preventing release of the brake fluid pressure and causing the wheel to drag or lock up after brake application. My rule of thumb (from experience) for such hoses is to renew them every 15 years. Signed - George Murphy, MBCA Technical Director
    mick gillam chandler az October 17, 2013 at 00:35
    After doing 5 hotrod power tours we know.what a challenge it can be driving old cars cross country.Enjoy the trip.Hope you have a great time. Mick.Gillam
    Susan Eoff Dufur, OR October 17, 2013 at 00:40
    We just brought our 65 convertible from Kodiak, Alaska, to join our 65 Fastback in New Mexico. Right now, we are in Dufur, Oregon, cruising around the area, before heading south for the balance of the winter. Road trips are fabulous!
    David H. Amrine Hubert, NC October 17, 2013 at 12:47
    Got room for one more. Ummmm mite need sum help shoveling snow. Just say'n.
    Tom Piippo Rudyard, MI October 17, 2013 at 00:48
    Too bad the engine has been swapped. The 64 1/2 shoulg be powered by a 170 cid engine painted orange and black; I own one. Good luck on the trip, it should go without a problem, these cars were very durable and not complex.
    Marilee CT October 18, 2013 at 07:18
    What an exciting time for our Mustang's. I own a 64 1/2 convertible. It's sounds like you'll have a wonderful trip. It's such a beautiful time of year to travel. Have fun & be safe. The mustang is a blast!
    David Turnbull Central Fla October 18, 2013 at 20:06
    While leaving Reno, you need to do a photo op at Mustang, NV. It's only 1 of 2 towns named "Mustang". It's also home to the Mustang Ranch! We've been thru there on a prior Pony Drive, as well as most of the US. My 64 9/10's convertible has over 69,000 miles, just from driving on our Pony Drive road trips, throughout the US.
    Dave Guest Oklahoma October 21, 2013 at 13:00
    Oh, man. Wish you guys would be travaling Americas highway, Route 66. I would like to see it. Best of luck.
    Jerry Grand Rapids, MI October 21, 2013 at 15:34
    Having traveled over 85k miles in a 1970 Corvette in the last 15 years on 5 or 6 trip, let me share about long distance trips: replace all things rubber before you start. Figure to average 50 miles an hour- old cars can be hard to sit in all day. Stop often and early for the night- it makes the trip more enjoyable. Watch what gas you use- Ethanol doesn't get along with old gaskets.Bring plenty of hand tools, tape, tie raps etc. Enjoy the trip and good luck! It WILL be fun.
    Bryan Douglas Wilson United States October 21, 2013 at 20:39
    I wish I was riding with y'all in my 641/2 it will be a blast.
    Jerry goodyear,, az October 22, 2013 at 11:50
    too bad you couldn't get Johnathan to drag the old Model A out, add a newer mustang to the mix, and make it a longer trip, with lots of stops and pics.
    steve-nelson grassvalley,ca. October 22, 2013 at 00:12
    I heard you guys were looking at the 47 chevy I built for my wife that was getting new upholstery next to where you bought the mustang. I hope you might have taken a picture of it because I need to up the insurance value now.
    Glenn Arlt Traverse City October 22, 2013 at 12:19
    Just to clarify the engines for the 1964 1/2 Mustangs, the 170 six was standard equipment, but factory options included the 260 V8, and both of these engines were replaced when "true" 1965 car production started on September 1, 1964 (with a 200 six and 289 V8 respectively)
    Cristine Richmond October 23, 2013 at 14:16
    The pony making this trip belonged to my husband, Ruben. He passed away two years ago and I just recently sold the car. I know he's smiling ear to ear to see his beloved car make this trip and to receive so many upbeat comments of support. I hope you make the trip without any problems; my husband babied the car and only drove it in the Bay Area. I look forward to hearing more about the TLC it will receive when it reaches its destination. Cheers!!!
    Denny Kramer Sioux Falls S.D. October 29, 2013 at 16:25
    When I got out of the service I bought a 67 Mustang conv. In the winter of 1971 we drove the Pan American highway to Mexico City . Great trip, wonderful experience & great scenery. I still have that Mustang, the bill of sale & window sticker. Will pass the car to my sons when I get to old to drive. Over the years we have owned a 66 & 67 mustangs but none as nice as my old sweetheart.
    Sue Knighgt Genoa, Nevada November 20, 2013 at 19:09
    Wow! I lived vicariously through your adventure. I have a 64 1/2 260 V8 engine convertible. It's Guardsman Blue and I have had it since it was new!! I have to check out the Mustang America's 2014 road trip from LA to Charlotte - sounds interesting.