RM Auctions returned to Hershey on Oct. 10-11, 2013, with good overall numbers. Even though the $9.7M was the lowest since 2010 ($9.9M in 2012; $10.1M in 2011), the sale saw a healthy sell-through rate of 91%, and the average price paid of $84,510 was relatively close to last year’s figure.
The biggest sale of the two-day auction was the catalog cover star 1933 Chrysler CL Imperial convertible roadster by LeBaron, which sold for $704,000, including buyer’s premium. Handsome and elegant, the alpha Chrysler model surpassed presale expectations. One of the finest Austin-Healey Sprite Mk II roadsters on the planet demonstrated the current market ceiling for these models with a stunning $27,500 sale price, and a fantastic 1955 Ford Fairlane Crown Victoria with a 312-cid V-8 motor established a new record for the body style at $88,000. A 1926 Cretors Model D nabbed a final price of $115,500, making the case that popcorn wagons are to 2013 what Amphicars were to 2006.
On the bargain side, a 1931 Cadillac V-8 town sedan sold for $27,500, a 1931 Cadillac V-12 town sedan sold for $57,750, and a 1934 Packard Twelve Limousine sold for $66,000, all demonstrating that prewar cars can deliver a ton of presence per dollar for those who aren’t obsessed with horsepower ratings.
- 1933 Chrysler CL Imperial LeBaron Convertible Roadster sold for $704,000
- 1910 Pierce-Arrow 48 SS 7-Passenger Touring sold for $687,500
- 1932 Gar Wood 28ft Hornet Triple-Cockpit Runabout sold for $396,000
- 1914 Locomobile Model 48 Speedster sold for $291,500
- 1936 Lincoln Model K Convertible Victoria sold for $242,000
- 1931 Cadillac V12 Convertible Coupe sold for $231,000
- 1933 Packard Eight Cabriolet sold for $231,000
- 1947 Ford Super Deluxe Sportsman Convertible sold for $220,000
- 1934 Packard Eight Convertible Victoria sold for $198,000
- 1938 Packard Super Eight Convertible Coupe sold for $176,000
RM’s next event is a New York City auction held in conjunction with Sotheby’s and scheduled for Nov. 21, 2013. Highlighting the sale is a 1964 Ferrari 250 LM and the eye-catching Lincoln Indianapolis that was recently seen behind throngs of people at the 2013 Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance.