2 October 2013

Auction Results: VanDerBrink Lambrecht Chevrolet sale

The most famous auction to occur this year wasn’t in Arizona or Pebble Beach — it happened in Nebraska. Pierce, Neb., to be exact, a town with fewer than 2,000 residents located two hours northwest of Omaha. The town swelled past 10,000 people, if not twice that, for the Sept. 28-29, 2013, auction, where more than 500 Chevrolets and other American marques — many barely driven — from Ray Lambrecht’s dealership were put under the hammer. In total, all 503 vehicles sold for slightly more than $3.0M, including buyer’s premium.

“Barely driven” and “pristine” are not interchangeable terms, of course, and most of the Lambrecht cars had endured decades of outdoor storage to become restoration candidates rather than preservation pieces. Prices paid generally confirmed this, as the median sale was $2,200. Those vehicles that did represent once-in-a-lifetime survivor opportunities didn’t disappoint, however, with bids initially pumped up with presale Internet interest and then finished off by the excited crowd. Proof of this is in the event’s top sale, which was a 1.3-mile 1958 Chevrolet 3100 Cameo pickup that sold for $147,000, as well as a 4-mile 1978 Corvette Pace Car that traded for $84,000. Most of the low-mile cars were gone by Sunday, however, and prices settled down to more accurately reflect the condition of the vehicles on offer.

Top 10

1. 1958 Chevrolet 3100 Cameo Pickup sold for $147,000
  2. 1963 Chevrolet Impala Hardtop Coupe sold for $105,300
  3. 1958 Chevrolet 3100 Apache Pickup sold for $86,400
  4. 1978 Chevrolet Corvette Pace Car Coupe sold for $84,000
  5. 1964 Chevrolet Impala Hardtop Coupe sold for $78,750
  6. 1965 Chevrolet Impala 396 Hardtop Coupe sold for $76,125
  7. 1960 Chevrolet 3100 Apache Pickup sold for $48,300
  8. 1965 Chevrolet Impala 396 Hardtop Coupe sold for $47,250
  9. 1963 Chevrolet Corvair Monza Coupe sold for $44,100
  10. 1963 Chevrolet Corvair Monza Coupe sold for $42,000

VanDerBrink returns to normal operations on Oct. 19, 2013, in Farmington, Minn, with the Ted Arneson Collection and the Don Miller Collection, together comprising dozens of vintage Cadillacs and Fords.

Editor’s note: this story was originally published with some incorrect buyer’s premiums added to the sale prices.

Kenneth Tennis Hudson, Fl October 2, 2013 at 18:05
    I would not have paid anywhere near what these vehicles sold for. They were not worth the money spent.KT
    Martin Fulton Sherman, TX October 2, 2013 at 18:05
    Interesting auction. But most of those cars and trucks were in need of complete restoration. It is shocking that those bidders had more money than good sense. For instance, both of those '63 Corvair Monzas were rust buckets, and the engines were probably seized up. $45K? Ridiculous!!
    John Ohio October 2, 2013 at 18:38
    Let's be real honest low miles or not the prices were simply outrageous many of the cars were no more than scrap. The sad part is that in auction form it takes two morons to inflate the price to such levels.
    Pat Flanigan Oak Lawn,IL.60453 October 2, 2013 at 18:40
    Thanks for the great pictures and story.. I've been reading about this for over a year.. Fascinating happening..Something we all dream of.. unmolested cars and parts!! True Barn Finds!!
    MIKE MCLAUGHLIN YUKON,OK. October 2, 2013 at 19:00
    I wasn't aware of the Nebraska auction untill i saw it on national news....i might have been a bidder if i had known of the opportunity....i guess i'm not 'tuned in' to these rare auctions...as an owner of 22 cars and trucks, i have a strong interest in old cars and currently have hagerty insured my 67 vette 69 nova ss 396 and 41 willys coupe...please keep me advised of other auction events. Thanks.
    Bill Scheef Redmond WA October 2, 2013 at 19:44
    I am baffled by the high prices paid for cars needing total restorations! Someone pleas enlighten me
    Mark Georgia October 2, 2013 at 19:52
    I doubt we will see an auction like this again....
    Randy South Carolina October 2, 2013 at 20:37
    I enjoy car shows and looked forward to the History Chamnel covering this on Friday. I am a down to earth guy but found myself really excited watching this. At one point during the program they showed a bucket loader trying to shake a pick up free from a tree that had grown through the bed and it audibly gasped waking my sleeping wife. Never wanted to see Nebraska before Friday!
    Kevin Milwaukee October 2, 2013 at 21:05
    I thought that this auction was for nice vehicles. Personally, I think there is not much there to choose from. Plan on replacing everything. The problem with that is that you wouldn't want the car anyway. I am just not drunk enough to see the beauty with her.I hope that people got what they desired and found the perfect vehicle that has always eluded them. I just don't see it here.
    Kay Fort Worth TX October 2, 2013 at 21:07
    I have 1970 Buick Electra in mint condition and would like to sell it.
    Dirk Weber South Daota October 2, 2013 at 21:27
    People were really auction drunk at that auction to pay those prices for junk. for the most part 90% of these cars had been sitting in a field for 25 years and weren't a barn find they were a field or junk yard find. how fools part with there money.
    Kerrigan Smith Mendicino United States October 2, 2013 at 21:46
    One question; How can a car enthusiast get wind of something like this before it goes down.
    Mike DES MOINES, IA. October 2, 2013 at 22:27
    This WAS the once in a life time automotive auction that I would have loved to have gone to, just to see these vehicles preserved in their original paint, seats, rims & tires, motors and in the case of the Cameo, the floor mats that were still behind the back of the seat where somebody that worked at G.M. put them 55 years ago in 1958!!! That's 4 years longer then I have even been around. I hope whoever bought that truck, just cleans the dust off and keeps it just like it is. AMAZING, SIMPLY AMAZING!!!
    Peter Oregon October 2, 2013 at 22:38
    Interesting the way money was thrown around. People paid top dollars on dollars for something that really did not coming it...the bad thing isvthstball the parts cars out there are now referred to as a. Vanderbrink model. Really 151 k. For a cameo pickup...lol
    Steve Sehi Lincoln, Ne October 2, 2013 at 22:39
    I grew up 30 minutes from Pierce. When I was a teenager, my dad took me to look at a 1975 Monte Carlo at Lambrechts. We didn't buy it because all the hubs were sitting in the dirt. I attended this auction as I wouldn't have missed it for the world. Very muddy and everyone paid a premium to park. Very unorganized also.
    John North Carolina October 3, 2013 at 13:31
    Interesting story. Hope the "top 10" listed were not in those pics. Looked like a junk sale more than anything. I was initially intrigued when I first heard, but glad did not go - we have local scrap yards here.
    neal Spokane, Wa October 3, 2013 at 13:44
    I saw this on TV. Too bad they didn't show more pictures of the cars that went for the big$$. They were in a warehouse. The glimpse I saw was intriguing. Imagine a brand new 1965 Impala 396, probably the SS. One of the odometers was less than 2 miles. I think the Cameo p/u had under 14 miles.
    Jim North Carolina October 3, 2013 at 13:57
    A fool and his money are soon parted... this is a classic example of this old adage. One could have spent the same amount of money or less on running restored vehicles. When you think of the paint and body work most are going to require not to mention engine overhaul, transmission overhaul, electric wiring harnesses, etc. it is absolutely mind boggling what these people were willing to pay. I wonder how many were from overseas....
    mike dowdy United States October 3, 2013 at 02:07
    I watched this on T.V. I think peoples emotions played a huge role in the prices in the high end cars. I really would have loved to have been there just to ramble thru all those cars. IF a car with only 4 miles on the odomiter sat out in the field in the elements well I think it's a damn shame!
    Steven Chicago October 3, 2013 at 15:51
    How sad. It would have been well worth it to build storage to keep these out of the weather,
    Tom Philadelphia October 3, 2013 at 04:20
    In my opinion very high prices especially for those vehicles sitting outside . Nothing special that I saw.
    Larry Portland OR October 3, 2013 at 16:52
    Most if not all these cars were rust buckets. Should of sold not much more than their scrap value. Its ironic that I can buy a same year running car for less money that some of these people spent on these junkers!
    Big Jim DFW October 3, 2013 at 16:56
    Agree with most of you. Disappointed about beautiful old autos setting in a field. A shame is what that was. Prices were crazy too.
    Dennis Michigan October 3, 2013 at 16:58
    Had a 63 Impala Hardtop Coupe. If only I had known to set it out in the back field and let it decay slowly(rot) for fifty years it would be worth $100K plus! Also have a fully restored, matching #'s, 63 Corvette Split Window Coupe, 327/340hp that I would let go for a meer $147K. Hope some of these buyers did not have to mortgage their purchase as after another $25k restoration cost they would need a snorkel to drive.
    Charlie Ohio October 3, 2013 at 17:11
    The real sad part of all this is that someone left these cars and trucks out to rot for years! I watched on the History channel and only one of the commentators had any knowledge of automobiles. There were many mistakes in makes, models, and facts. I thought they had very poor coverage on the auction itself, and like most people I thought the prices were absolutely ridiculous. I have been building and restoring classic cars and trucks for about 45 years and I currently own three vehicles that are between 45 and 50 years old, so I do feel qualified in making these statements. Just my opinion. Thanks for letting me vent.
    John Ohio October 3, 2013 at 08:54
    I heard of the "Auction" (find) some time before it began, it was all over U-tube. I thought to myself, "what a find". Right around the same time while sitting up my local (Smoke Shop [cigar shop]) a good friend of mine who knows I enjoy, play around with old cars, motorcycles told me about a car he knew was for sale. It was a 1971 Ford that was bought new by the previous owner but since his death had been sitting in a garage, covered for the past 12 years; enough said. We drove down, took a look at her, and I bought her. She looked great, other that 12 years of dirt, dust and a some mold in the interior covering the still covered plastic seat covers. With 54 thousand miles on her and the "window sticker" noting next oil change at 56K, I was excited. Oil change, tank drain, new front brakes, new battery, I had her rolling and she started right up. Every time I went to bleed the brakes I popped another line, simply from sitting. So, in order to get the rear line I had it towed (flat bed) down to my buddies and went to put her up on the lift. Oh No! Even thought when I first looked at her I did a quick look underneath (was sitting on a dirt floor garage), I quickly found out that the frame, rear portion was rusted though, the lift went right through. Repairable; Yes, was I prepared for this; No...the only reason I am sharing this story is again; at first when I heard about the "Nebraska Find", I thought "What a find", then after my adventure and thinking about it and as pointed out in the article, all "Barn Finds" aren't what you think, unless you have the talent, shop, tools, time and money, they are simply "Wow, look at that old car". Just my 2 cents opinion.
    Mike hamilton Davenport Iowa October 3, 2013 at 21:25
    I reads some of the comments and was surprised. for instance on the motors, maybe seized up but can be easily unseized in a week without taking the motor apart, if you know the trick. Done it 5 times with cars sitting for 25 years and they run great without any kind of rebuild or ever being removed form the car. Everyone has an opinion which is great but I would have to say most are probably novices in regards to this auction and the cars in it.
    Herb United States October 3, 2013 at 09:41
    Yeah looks like most of them should have gone straight to the junk yard. If they were worth saving someone would have done it sooner than this year!
    Mark Wisconsin October 3, 2013 at 21:43
    Maybe I missed something,but I thought the cars with no miles were stored indoors, not in the field
    Wayne Canada October 3, 2013 at 10:33
    My opinion, this was mostly junk, and the rest was a terrible waste of some nice cars by a crazy old man. But he was no crazier than the people that bought some of these cars, like the guy that paid $84,000 for the '78 Corvette Pace car. www.Mershons.com has one right now, properly stored and perfectly preserved with 38 original miles for $39,900......... good deal pal.
    Stuart Rochester, NY October 3, 2013 at 10:47
    Complete and utter auction hysteria!
    Robert NW MO October 3, 2013 at 10:49
    I was there on Saturday, it was amazing and a disappointment all at the same time. It was a shame that they didn't sell these cars 10-20 years earlier or had them under roof of some type. The amazing thing was the number of low mileage, untitled vehecles & the bidding that was going on. The disappointment was the quality of the vehicles. Does anybody know the final total dollar amount for all of the vehicles sold?
    Paul Windish Tinley Park, IL October 3, 2013 at 10:58
    Only in America would this fly. The buyers paying insane prices for low and no mileage cars they will not be able to drive. I heard museums were big players in the auction. That is where some of those cars belong as once they are put back in running condition and cosmetics addressed, you won't be able to do anything else with them than look at them sitting on display someplace. My hat is off to the Lambrecht family and Vanderbrink's for proving that P.T. Barnum's words still hold true today. "There's a sucker born every minute."
    Paul Canada October 3, 2013 at 11:11
    Yeah, some funny comments here....and it was just as I thought. Only a few cars worth even bidding on, the rest look like parts cars. I almost registered for this event and then came to my senses.... The prices paid are outrageous! Remember, if it sounds too good to be true....
    Woody Colorado October 3, 2013 at 11:23
    I was made aware of this auction months ago as a subscriber to Autoweek magazine. I receive a daily e-mail with all things automobiles. Between Autoweek and Hagerty I am up to speed with the automotive world on a daily and weekly basis. Nowa bout the prices people paid for those cars and trucks all I can say is they must have had more money than brains!
    Jim Stage Nevada, IA October 3, 2013 at 11:39
    I was there! It was really fun to attend. If you like collecting, vintage items in general, automotive history, auctions, or just watching people spend crazy amounts of money, you'd have loved this as it was all-in-one. I had been following the story for awhile and had decided to go, not for a chance at a car, but just to see the cars for myself along with the pure spectacle of it. I was not disappointed. It was once-in-a-lifetime chance to see a bunch of great (I use the term loosely here) old vehicles all together as well as watch just how insanely the price of something can be affected by buzz and hype. True, the first day car prices were off-the-charts crazy, but that was to be expected. I was almost more fascinated watching someone pay $225 for one old yard stick with the dealer's name on it. A cat turd in a box could have been listed, and as long as it had come out of that dealership, it would have brought at least a hundred bucks. There just had to be some buyer's remorse once the dust settled. My only complaints were the extortion-rate parking ($25.00 per day, per vehicle) and the feeling that somehow things just weren't quite as organized as they should have been for an event producing nearly 3 million dollars. For example, they didn't seem to have enough security to keep people out of the way of the platform truck every time it moved and the sound quality was often just terrible coming from the speakers (and at least one wasn't even working the majority of the time). And yes, while it was maybe a little sad that some of these no-mile cars just sat outside in the elements all these years, the truth is they would just be gone at this point anyway had they been sold back in the day. What happened here was in the end really great - an urban legend come to life, with a story and event that got a great number of people very, very excited and talking about collecting, restoring, and the old-car hobby in general. Thanks Mr. Lambrecht!
    jerry mn October 3, 2013 at 00:06
    Did all the state mental hospitals give out weekend passes
    Michael Izzi Bronx, NY October 3, 2013 at 00:11
    Love it, nothing like seeing real classic cars and trucks in there true all originale form, snacks and all. Thanks Hagerty
    Warren L. Seiz Peoria, AZ 85345 October 3, 2013 at 12:28
    Watching the sale on the History Channel was an enjoyment to watch....The amazement of all of these cars and trucks being sold, and the prices that bidders were willing to pay. WOW, yes, history being made!!! I have to agree with all of the above comments that have been made, both pro and con. I've had vintage cars and trucks for many years, and this sale just helps the value of all of our old car's worth!!! I do have 1993 40th Annniversay Corvette, Ruby, Convertible, 32,000 miles, for sale.....asking a lot less than what it would have sold for in Nebraska. I hope everone enjoys their new purchases from the sale.
    Mike Graves Little Rock, Arkansas October 4, 2013 at 01:42
    Some of these comments about this auction are a little off base. First, the ones that sold for the big money were never driven cars that were stored inside. They showed them on TV earlier this year. Some of them are rare enough in the Old-New condition to warrant a high price for a collector who values this kind of a find. If you were simply looking at these photos, then you are basing your comments on just a small aspect of the auction; that being the field cars. Most of those sold at a lower price as the article states, an average of $2200. ea. So the brake lines are gone and the tires are dry rotted on the 4 mile Corvette pace car. The new owner may just display it as a one & only "new" car after he washes the dust off. What you see in the photos here are just the field cars that weren't even talked about when this first hit the news. OK ? Be informed before you criticize.
    Mike Little Rock, Arkansas October 4, 2013 at 01:55
    Some of you need to check your facts. The photos in this article are just the "field cars" and they sold for low amounts as the article states, a $2200. overall average sale price. The ones that went for the high amounts were stored inside and mainly just needed dusting and a good wash. To many collectors, a Corvette pace car with 4 original miles is worth a big price. Don't confuse the rust buckets in these photos with the high dollar "barn finds" that were shown on a national news show earlier this year. This is what seems to be a problem, even in politics these days as people as people blow about something that they did not hear, see or read correctly and they pass it on & others believe it.
    Doug Texas October 4, 2013 at 02:16
    Thanks for the write-up. I heard about it when it made the news earlier this year and thought wow what an opportunity, but only if something was there of special interest. Of course all the Chevy/Ford/Corvette buyers are going to bid stuff up. Folks like ma can't afford to compete. What I did see that was very intersting to me was a late 50's Studebaker Silver or Golden Hawk. At least it looked like it might be from the pic that was taken. Those two-doors with a 289 v8 were sleepers.
    Mike cox Kentucky October 4, 2013 at 17:42
    I knew those cars would bring a mint. I was excited about seeing the few online. I hope the buyers have enough funds to raise the dead!!!!
    art wegweiser allison Park (McCandless) PA October 4, 2013 at 18:05
    Most of these were junk when they rolled out of the factory.Not worth their price then; not worth it now.
    Mike Iowa October 4, 2013 at 19:31
    My brother and I traveled about 5 1/2 hours (one way) to attend this auction. I am glad we made the trip to see these historic cars, but I have to agree with many of the earlier comments. The prices people were paying for the cars and even the smaller items is just plain crazy. I would also add that Vanderbrink Auctions took on way more than they were equipped to handle. We have attended many large car auctions, and this one was very poorly organized. We did not even return to the auction on Sunday for that reason. In talking with others at the auction, I am not the only one that feels this way. Sorry Vanderbrink, but you get a failing mark from this auction goer!
    jacksmith85 India October 4, 2013 at 07:40
    Thanks for sharing this auction and features of Chevrolet . The auction more than 500 Chevrolet with american marques.a 1.3-mile 1958 Chevrolet 3100 Cameo pickup that sold for $147,000, as well as a 4-mile 1978 Corvette Pace Car that traded for $84,000 is highlighted in this post. Before buying a car, people should evaluate used car with help of best technicians or through used car valuation tools. Here i have given some suggestions for . Cars valuation
    Lonnie Urich Des Moines, IA October 4, 2013 at 07:40
    Most of the no-mile cars were indoors until the roof collapsed around 1990. Two of the freshly displaced cars were a 65 SS 396 Impala, white with white buckets, and a 66 Malibu 4dr ht. I saw them parked in one of the many vacant lots around the dealership. You could have buffed and driven them. This disturbing image has haunted me for years. I saw photos of the Malibu in the auction results, and it was toast. The SS was nowhere to be seen in any of the auction info or photos, wonder what happened to that one. Ray Lambrecht was not an idiot. He ran the dealership in such a manner that he could absorb the loss of so many unsold new and used cars, and still stay in business. To those of us who love old cars however, he was the Marcquis De Sade, torturing freshly minted new cars to a long and agonizing death. It makes me sick to my stomach. That being said, there needs to be a new word invented for how stupid these bidders were. There is no existing adjective that captures the magnitude of this stupidity.
    ACThunderbird CA October 4, 2013 at 10:05
    More money than good sense? Have you ever watched a Barrett-Jackson Auction?
    Craig Jamestown, ND October 4, 2013 at 23:15
    Almost went to the Lambrecht Auction. Turned out great for the Lambrecht family and the auction company. Van der Brinks know how to promote, they did a steam tractor/thresher auction a while back in ND and it brought in over a million dollars. Glad we didn't go to Nebraska, as I watched on-line live and it was a mob scene almost. As far as the prices, they were pretty absurd and even Mz. Van der Brink commented that they were bringing up tp 2-3 times more than nice restored versions and maybe 3 or 4 of the top ten will see the new owners ever come out ahead if they want to. Prices on the used trade-ins that were sold were also ridiculous with most of the buyers there having more dollars than sense or is that cents (pun intended). Thanks for the website "Hagerty", always enjoy your TV automotive shows also.
    Duane Omaha, NE October 4, 2013 at 00:06
    I spent 9 hours at the auction on Saturday. Yes, the prices were high, but it was really cool to see all of the vehicles. Most of them with low miles (and no broken windows) that had been sitting outside were still in shockingly good condition, other than faded paint. Other than the Cameo pickup I personally think they went for about twice what they were actually worth. The Cameo went right where I expected it to go. Couple of the Impalas were OK priced and had been started up until a couple years ago. I know the new owner of one of the Impalas and it will be interesting to see how hard it is to get it on the road. Yes, most all of them will need the drive trains completely gone through, but other than that - many would ready to go. People did bid on emotion - no doubt. But, don't think for a minute that the "Saturday sold cars & pickups" were ready for the scrap yard or for parts.
    Ron Stanley California October 4, 2013 at 12:55
    I agree with many of the comments regarding the over the top prices paid for some of these vehicles. But in situations like this, the average car guy looses most if not all of his common sense. One is overwhelmed by the number of vehicles and the brain does a semi shutdown. It happened to me several years ago when I attended my very first auction. I went with the idea of being a mere observer but got caught up in the uphoria of the event and bid and won a car that I didn't want but I could afford. I woke up the next morning i said to myself and my not too happy wife "what was I thinking". I'm quite sure that many of the successful bidders woke up the next morning with bidders remorse. STUFF HAPPENS !!!
    merv g north carolina October 6, 2013 at 16:39
    I see a few cars sitting around fields in Georgia , but after closer inspection the glass might be the only salvage that's good.
    Frank Hartford October 6, 2013 at 05:56
    I agree with most of the comments here..while I love most classic vehicles, these people paid ridiculous prices for some of these..I could understand if maybe there was a row of almost new 69SS Camaros or 454 Chevelles..but some of these go for way less restored..never the less this is still a great story and something that car enthusiasts love to hear about..would have loved to be there just to see them..I am just not into trying to buy a classic in an auction, much rather deal one on one with the owner..now not to knock Chevys or other makes, but can you imagine if this had been a Dodge dealer and there were 500 mopars for sale..a row of 71 Cudas, some with Hemis..you don't even have to be a Mopar fan to imagine the money pouring in on that auction..I'd bet the guys from Graveyard Cars would be there bidding..Great story.
    Pete Buffalo, NY October 6, 2013 at 19:42
    Interesting auction, but prices were way out of line for the condition the cars were in. WIth the zero mile cars, it's tough to put a price on them. But many of the outdoor cars were absolute junk, not even good enough to be parts cars.
    Rick montrose, CO October 7, 2013 at 17:43
    While it's true that it may have been better if these cars were better taken are of, the prices would have been a lot higher also. It was a unique experience to be part of his auction. Having picked up a 53 chevy 2 door with 50,000 miles there is another side to the story. This car has perfect door hinges and latches, an engine with 50K miles, the hood closes like brand new and the interior is in very good shape if you compare it to any other 53 that you might find to restore. Yes it is going to need rust repair but basicly in the same locations it would had if you found the else where. Even AZ cars have rust from sitting-- ask me how I know. Anyway, every story has positive and negetives this ones no different. By the way I didn't pay much if any more than I would have to buy a car this complete to restore. It is true that the more sought after vehicles brought pretty prices but what do you expect for a "new" car.
    Paul Red Wing, MN. October 11, 2013 at 23:56
    I drove 7 hours with my 26 year old son to the auction and had the time of my life. After watching someone pay over $200.00 for a yardstick and $3600.00 for a set of 1976 Chevrolet car posters I told my son we wouldn't be bringing anything home on the car trailer we brought with and we didn't. The most fun was eating a Subway lunch on the back of a 64 Chevy pickup that had never been sold and making the comment that we would never get away with this at a car show.. Just being there and taking videos of cars and trucks, some of them new, and thinking we will never see anything like this ever again in our life. We stopped by the Lambrecht dealership on Sunday on our way home to take pictures and talked to one of the locals. I told him we would leave and his town can go back to sleep Thank you Pierce, Neb.!!!!.
    jim nova scotia canada January 19, 2014 at 14:31
    If one can afford to pay those prices for those cars there should not be any opinion on how much they paid for it
    jason United States April 26, 2014 at 17:45