20 September 2013

Field of Dreams: 500-vehicle Lambrecht Auction set for Sept. 28-29

Anticipation is mounting for the Sept. 28-29 auction of more than 500 cars and trucks that have been stashed away for decades by the owners of a small-town Chevrolet dealership in Pierce, Neb.

Lambrecht Chevrolet, owned and operated for 50 years by Ray and Mildred Lambrecht, closed its doors in 1996. The Lambrechts, now in their 90s, held onto customer trade-ins and purchased outdated inventory to make room for new models. The extensive Lambrecht collection of survivor cars and automobilia will be auctioned in a field near the Pierce Community Golf Course, about 125 miles northwest of Omaha. Minnesota-based VanDerBrink Auctions is handling the sale.

According to the the Lambrechts’ daughter, Jeanie Stillwell Lambrecht, “the decision to auction the inventory was a difficult and painful one.” She also said in a press release that the cars “comprise a lifetime of hard work, tears and joy.”

The collection, once considered an urban legend, has drawn attention from collectors, history buffs and the media. According to the New York Times, it also caught the attention of thieves, which is why the Lambrechts decided to sell.

Auctioneer Yvette VanDerBrink said that since little was known about the collection until recently and the majority of the cars hadn’t been moved since the Lambrechts closed their dealership, the collection is basically a “barn find.” The best cars were stored indoors and left untouched –“preservation through neglect,” VandDerBrink said – while the rest were exposed to the elements in a wooded area on the family farm. Now they sit side by side in nine rows, each about 100 yards long, awaiting the auction. VanDerBrink calls it a “field of dreams.”

While she admits that none of the 500 cars is rare or priceless, nearly 50 of them have been driven less than 50 miles, which should certainly make them desirable. Some even have the original shipping plastic on the seats. The Lambrechts had a particular interest in 1964 half-ton pickup trucks – 12 are up for sale. In addition to more than half of those, other vehicles with less than 10 miles on the odometer include:

According to the Times, by Sept. 12 more than 700 bidders had registered for the auction and more than $500,000 had been offered in absentee bids.

For more information or to register, visit www.vanderbrinkauctions.com.

MIke Coleridge, NE September 23, 2013 at 18:03
    I want the Indy Pace car
    Candy MO September 25, 2013 at 16:42
    I wish the links in your articles actually took you to a picture of the noted vehicle, not just the valuation page. That's one of my biggest frustrations with your articles. Why do you even bother creating a link?
    Gary Loomis Ft. Myers , Fl. September 25, 2013 at 16:58
    I heard about this several months ago and have been following it on U-Tube. Wish I could attend.
    Bud Miller Fontana, Ca. 92335 US. September 25, 2013 at 17:28
    Would like to have a chance to bid on some of these vehicles.
    wayne lane United States September 25, 2013 at 17:34
    I would love to go and see that many barn find all at the same time .I am a chevy fan for years and i just love than.
    Rick California September 25, 2013 at 18:35
    What................no Pinto???
    Randall Lubbock, tx September 25, 2013 at 19:51
    Like to see the list
    Craig M Bryda United States September 25, 2013 at 08:00
    Sure would be nice to attend this.
    Pete Johnson Rochester Hills Mi September 25, 2013 at 20:32
    That 77 Vega with 6 miles, thats about the time they started to Rust, My friend bought one new and was so proud showing it off the day after he got, while looking under the hood I pointed out a little discolorition on the inner fender, what's that I said? He couldn't beleive it .....RUST, He didn't keep it long
    david post hbg, pa. September 25, 2013 at 20:36
    sure would be nice to see these classics up close.
    Bob Deveau Nova Scotia,canada September 25, 2013 at 21:18
    My recent barn find 1985(not antique yet) Ford F150 XL Explorer,20,000 miles. Son was killed in a car accident in 1990,Mother had truck preped and put in barn,painted 6 months before.Truck is good condition,more like it looked in 1997. I've got pics from the barn to cleaning 22 years of dust.Bob
    Myke Ore September 25, 2013 at 21:25
    WOW
    Scott Bouc Weston, Nebraska September 25, 2013 at 21:56
    I have heard a lot of people talking about this auction my grandpa wanted me to go with him to the auction to see how crazy it actually is I would like to hear how much stuff goes for.
    Richard central Washington September 25, 2013 at 22:09
    I cried at the sight of these abused cars.
    Jim Leathem Parks, Az September 25, 2013 at 22:14
    It will be a ZOO out there. The vultures are circling and waiting to pounce on the unsuspected. Most guys will be outclassed or out funded and not have much of a chance.Oh well, it's the survival of the bidders. It'll be a blast to see the carnage.Jim in Az.
    DAVID MONROE PHX, AZ, September 25, 2013 at 22:41
    TO MANY PEOPLE TO BUY RUST BUCKETS , NO THANKS
    Geoerge Slaughter, La September 25, 2013 at 22:43
    Very interesting web site. Is there someone I can call to ask a few question about the auction? ie; Is there a reserve? Buyers fees? ect.thank you George R
    Jon WDM, Iowa September 26, 2013 at 13:59
    The critics above don't understand that rust in an old car, while an issue, is expected and not a deal killer. We who restore, resto or hotrod these cars simply deal with it, fix it, and are excited to find a project.
    Bill Morgan Lubbock, TX September 26, 2013 at 14:04
    Copy and paste this link to view all the items and vehicles in the sale. Internet bidding already has begun on some. http://www.vanderbrinkauctions.com/online_auction.htm
    Greg South Dakota September 26, 2013 at 15:11
    Gentlemen bring your checkbooks. Just imagine being able to be the original owner of a 1964 car. I here many of these vehicles have never been titled , so he or she who buys them will be the original owner! Not many of these chances come in a lifetime. It will be great to see what they bring at auction.
    Cat Lovett Burton, Michigan September 26, 2013 at 16:39
    The 1964 Impala 2 Door Hardtop :) Wish I could have this one! That would be Awesomeness!!!!! Got a few projects going on right now, but would add it to my list for sure. Sorry to say I can't make it out west. So if you don't get rid of it and want to place it to a good home, please let me know. :) Cat
    Ron Stanley Alameda, CA. September 26, 2013 at 05:41
    Will the auction include internet bidders or any type of remote bidding ?
    Larry Detroit September 26, 2013 at 05:43
    The auction is live on The History Channel. It's this Saturday (September 28, 2013) at 8:00 PM EDT http://www.history.com/shows/history-made-now-wheels-of-fortune
    Phil Fugate Fairborn, Ohio September 26, 2013 at 06:02
    I wonder how he chose what to keep.
    Sergio Hamilton, ON, Canada September 26, 2013 at 06:58
    Would be nice to see a list, of what they sold for.
    Steve Hamilton, ON. September 26, 2013 at 08:13
    WOW! Although it looks like none of these cars are rare, a '65 Bel Air wagon would be a cool ride. The '79 Caprice would make a great daily driver.....
    Bob Nice Traverse City Mi September 26, 2013 at 08:13
    GREAT
    Mark Snowdon Randleman NC September 26, 2013 at 08:23
    The Auction will be broadcast on NBCSports on sunday if you can't be there
    AnthonyHillman Cape May Ct Hse NJ September 26, 2013 at 08:53
    So what could be wrong with these vehicles after sitting around for 50 years not being maintained! Are you kidding me!Field of Rust! Bad Gas Tanks, Fuel, Lines and Other Problems.
    Chuck B. New York September 26, 2013 at 09:10
    If you can't attend (and I would LOVE to), you can watch it on the History Channel. http://www.history.com/shows/history-made-now-wheels-of-fortune/about I have my DVR all set and ready to go...
    JOHN Malone St Paul, Mn September 26, 2013 at 09:11
    See you there.......can't wait!!!!
    Al Canada September 26, 2013 at 10:28
    Cool, Eh?
    Don Whitaker Hillsboro, Oregon September 26, 2013 at 23:14
    The quantity of 64 pickups makes me wonder if Chevrolet had a lot of problems with them that year and the Lambrechts therefore ended up with a lot of them for that reason. Then I realized we are talking about Nebraska. Every farmer in Nebraska owned one or more of those trucks, so they were simply the most available used vehicle in the state. Fantastic collection and sale though. Wish I could be there (with a pocket full of money). ;-)
    Mike Boulka Eagan, MN September 27, 2013 at 14:59
    Fools and their money will soon be parted!!! The only "collectable" is the Corvette Pace Car, and that term on that car is subject to debate. These are all parts cars at best!
    A.J. Lashua NV September 27, 2013 at 16:25
    I saw pictures of these cars. Most of them were kept outside and are now essentially junk.
    Craig Canada September 27, 2013 at 07:34
    Man I'd love to grab that Monza. I've been looking for one for awhile.reminds me of high school. My buddy had a 305 in his back in the day.......miss them
    Jerry Ozarks September 28, 2013 at 08:37
    An abundance of naive comments herein.......lot of folks have very unrealistic views of what it would take to restore some of these relics.....rust and rot don't wipe off......rubber, hoses, gaskets, fabric, liners, carpet, etc. will take thousands.....before you even touch anything mechanic....most have been left outdoors for 50 or 60 years.....15 or 20 G to buy....20 or 25 large more to restore.....and it's still a 4 door Biscayne or whatever else that was originally targeted for midwestern farmer buyers....low mileage junk is still junk. Gonna be a lot of disappointed and angry people driving home from Pierce.
    tim gi ne October 1, 2013 at 00:41
    I attended this auction, The 58 Cameo fetched $140,000. the Vette was $80,000, 58 Apache was $80,000 and so on down the line, there were cars and trucks that had 7 miles on them that people would pay $10,000 for that you could throw a dog though the floor and a cat though the dash, it was the craziest thing i ever seen, most were missing parts but people thought they were low milage cars and they could take them home and they would be worth a chunk of change but in reality they had to restore them to factory spec's and could never drive them, you would have to push and pull them off a trailer and keep them pristine to keep the value even after you spent the money to restore them, $39,000. on a 66 Chevy c10 long box, 283, 4 speed that had been sitting in the trees since 1967 because it had 19 miles on it, there is noway you'll ever see daylight in your check book! Just be glad you didn't attend and call you agent tomorrow and say your car is worth 400% more and see what they say.
    Trent Texas October 10, 2013 at 11:46
    Most of you negative morons need to realize that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. A vehicle is worth "what someone will pay for it". I too went to this auction an ended up coming home with one at a very decent price. Yes.. I will agree that many went for very high prices and I had hoped to get others at a cheaper price. But I will say that absolutely NONE were junk. All had valuable restoration or parts value to those that needed them. This was a great auction to attend and was well worth going to even if I had come back with nothing. Lots of history to see. The ones that can't enjoy seeing things like this have no business owning and old car restored or not. It's all part of the hobby and the nostalgia.