17 September 2013

Photo Gallery: Salvage yard finds

Photographer Brewster Moseley has an unusual mission: find and document beauty where most people would see only decay and decrepitude. He has photographed stained glass windows and artistic architectural details in dilapidated 19th century buildings. And, as you can see, he also finds interesting abstract designs in rusting, vintage trucks and automobiles, spending many hours scouring auto salvage yards in Montana and Idaho.

One day, while photographing Victorian brothels in Butte, Montana, Moseley saw and admired an old REO Speed Wagon. He began looking for other rusting vehicles and found several auto junkyards nearby. Shooting the old hood ornaments, abstract designs made by rusting paint and, in some cases, mangled metal, was rewarding. Here were beautiful designs in places few would imagine that beauty could be found. And the opportunity to record and share these designs through publication has become the focus of Moseley’s professional career. See more from Moseley at www.classiccardesign.com.

John Adams Wilmington, N.C. September 24, 2013 at 15:56
    I just love those old cars........
    Greg Kutsch CA October 9, 2013 at 16:01
    they certainly used good chrome and stainless back then.
    Phil Dimmer White Lake, MI October 9, 2013 at 17:47
    A piece of art and a piece of history.
    merv g flint October 9, 2013 at 20:27
    I have reached the age where I remember seeing a lot of those works of art when they were new.
    Pete Johnson Esquire Rochester Hills Mi. October 9, 2013 at 21:12
    reminds me of the Lambrecht Chevy auction, lots of rust, he waited just a little to long to sell
    marty thomas sun prairie, wisconsin October 9, 2013 at 21:17
    That is the most stunning photo collection I've ever seen. I may not know art, but I know what I like. I'll be going back to this show link again and again. Thanks for sharing it.
    hugh kantrud minneapolis October 9, 2013 at 23:09
    I love documenting these too in my travels! But don't think I can post one here. :(
    Tony Kubera Buffalo, NY October 10, 2013 at 08:45
    Amazing, haunting, works of Art!
    Jay Milstead Huntington WV October 10, 2013 at 10:00
    Should be made into a screen saver
    Scotty Florida October 10, 2013 at 10:14
    These old cars are rolling examples of American craftsmanship and our glorious history.
    Doug Texas October 10, 2013 at 10:52
    Wow, great finds. I actually remember being around a few of these when the paint was still good. So I guess I have a new answer to what's your favorite auto... 'One with Fenders'
    Yvonne Beldotti Ossining, NY October 10, 2013 at 10:56
    He has captured the timeless beauty that comes with age...
    Gary Schreiber Santa Isabel, Azuay Ecuador October 10, 2013 at 10:57
    I love seeing all this car art. Sadly, many of the trinkets are now being stripped for private collections never to be seen again by the public.
    Steve Shaw Callahan Florida October 10, 2013 at 11:39
    That is not age and rust.........that is Character and Personality. We call them "she", "her", and "baby" don't we ??
    jake jamestown nd October 11, 2013 at 15:59
    back in the day when they made cars to look like cars and works of art, not the plastic cans of today.
    Rochelle Maselli SF Bay Area October 11, 2013 at 18:26
    Those photos were just amazingly beautiful. Just further emphasizes the fact that today's cars lack personality, quality, character and class. They all look the same nowadays. Oh, sure - some may be expensive "status symbols", but works of art - they are NOT! Hard to tell the difference between manufacturers anymore. Not like you could with these vehicles, rusty or not.
    Terrance Jagiel Deerfield Beach Florida October 12, 2013 at 14:45
    Really something
    Dirk Weber Britton, SD October 12, 2013 at 09:45
    Hood ornaments and Brand Crests are what I like to see. Don't see that today.
    Faye Vanasse murfreesboro tn 37129 October 29, 2013 at 08:45
    Hood ornaments
    Aaron Longwell United States November 25, 2013 at 06:50
    Awesome snaps. Great art that is unexplainable....You can capture more of wrecked car pics by login to SalvageBid, LLC, an online auto auction website for damaged vehicles.