27 August 2013

Photo Gallery: The Iconic Woodward Dream Cruise

Officially, the Woodward Dream Cruise is a 12-hour event held annually on the third Saturday in August. Organizers say approximately 40,000 classic cars from around the globe cruise past some 1.5 million spectators on that day alone. Unofficially, the Dream Cruise – held on legendary Woodward Avenue in Detroit – is a weeklong celebration of the automobile, with most of the activity occurring along a seven-mile strip from Birmingham to Ferndale. You’re sure to see everything from Motor City muscle, sports cars and classic rides to modified hot rods and whacky homemade creations. Never been? Wondering if it’s too good to be true? Trust us: the Woodward Dream Cruise is the common man’s concours – a rolling car show of enormous and sometimes outrageous proportions that should be on every car lover’s bucket list.

Frontman MetroDetroit August 28, 2013 at 13:03
    Correction in article. Ferndale to Pontiac, it seems that Pontiac never gets any perks and Birmingham gets to many.
    Dan Oparka Tampa,Fl. August 28, 2013 at 13:21
    Just returned home from the cruise.The Woodward Dream Cruise is Great, Use to cruise Woodward back in the sixty's. really brings back good memories.. I have been attending the cruise since the start, I go every other year.. If your a car nut It is really worth seeing. Thanks Dan
    Sheron Keeley Oxford, MI August 28, 2013 at 13:38
    I take exception to your article on the Woodward Dream Cruise. It is held on legendary Woodward Avenue from 9 Mile (Ferndale) 16 miles north to Pontiac, not in Detroit. This was the 19th year for the event and I have been at each and every one.
    Donald North Dakota August 28, 2013 at 13:44
    I had a 65 Mustang K Model that we raced on Woodward. I worked at the Mobil station on 13 1/2 Mile (Normandy Road) and Woodward next door to the Big Boy. Always loved the food there, at the Big Town down the block and at the Totem Pole. what grand memories. Frontman is right. we turned around at Ted's drive in in Pontiac.
    mike Bloomfield, MI August 28, 2013 at 14:28
    Greatest rolling car show in the world, I'd bet there are more than 40,000 cars, car clubs are starting to come in that week for their annual meets.
    BigManJB United States August 28, 2013 at 14:56
    Not enough MOPAR picks mostly boring stuff. What are we paying you for?
    Brian A. Veit Oakland County, MI August 28, 2013 at 15:03
    I've done the Dream Cruise since 2000 (except for a couple of years living in Las Vegas that I don't talk about), but this year I decided to leave for the weekend and try something new. While the Dream Cruise is certainly a MUST SEE for any car buff, it is, especially for us locals, becoming a little like living next to Disney World. The Magic is gone. Compounding that fact is the over-corporatization of the event, with sponsors like Chevrolet constantly touting their new car line in every mention. It has simply been reduced to a marketing opportunity. Too many minivans, too many "wannabes" and in some towns where we cruisers are supposedly "welcome", you run the risk of a ticket for the slightest of infractions (in or out of a vehicle). It was a lot more fun when it was just us Cruisers and spectators. IMHO, money is ruining, not helping the Cruise. After all, the only thing a cruiser REALLY needs to cruise is some open road - a rare commodity on Woodward come August.
    Gary Glenn Abilene TX August 28, 2013 at 16:05
    that's awesome but the best time was in the 60's all year long when the Factory boys would come out and blow our socks off with something new they were playing with. It was a car show every weekend. Just my thoughts
    Tim Michigan August 28, 2013 at 16:44
    It's gotten almost too big and allows too many "wannabees" with non-classics.
    Sue Raczka Pontiac, Michigan August 28, 2013 at 16:45
    Thanks, Frontman for the correction. It IS from Pontiac to Ferndale. Seems like nobody wants to mention Pontiac. We are a big part of the cruise. Lot of cars and a lot of people. I have a '72 Nova. My brother has '55 Chevy and my other brother has a '62 Ford 406. We belong to the Flaming Pistons car club and have a lot that we rent every year. We have a blast. So, thanks again Frontman.
    William Smith Cumberland RI August 28, 2013 at 17:35
    Woodward Dream Cruise is awesome. I've managed to get my kids into cars by attending now for the third time. Beats any car show I've ever been to. It truly is a moving car show.
    tom Northville August 28, 2013 at 19:07
    Have done the woodward cruise for years and have found that cruising on Saturday seems to be for non classics and what ever. Hines drive is a much better event and of course the Berkley parade on Friday night are great events.
    Roger Cuyahoga Falls, ohio August 28, 2013 at 20:24
    Went to the Dream Cruise a couple of times no question a lot of great cars but it seemed like anyone who has a construction company or heating and air conditioning company was driving there late model pickup with a sign and kids in the back waving tended to clog traffic If I go again it will be the week leading up to the cruise then get out of town before Saturday
    Brian Hanson Wisconsin Rapids, WI August 28, 2013 at 22:04
    This was my first time to the Saturday event, and I had a great day with my sons enjoying every kind of vehicle you could imagine. Add the many manufacturer and other displays and a sea of well behaved people and it was like heaven for a car guy. Definitely crossed one off my bucket list, and I hope to come back on a regular basis.
    Myron Schoen Punta Gorda , Fl. 33983 August 28, 2013 at 22:36
    Just got the notice
    lary tuscaloosa al. August 28, 2013 at 11:49
    jus looking
    Howard Salsitz Fullerton, CA August 29, 2013 at 15:28
    I guess I missed it again. When I lived in the area and worked in Detroit in the auto parts business, the Woodward Cruise hadn't started. I will be back in the area at the end of the month to visit my son's family and couldn't afford the time or money to be in the area both times. Someday, I will attend and take my grandson. Someday.... Oh, and I presently have an unrestored '67 GTO.
    Greg Walters Knoxville, TN August 29, 2013 at 06:48
    This is a great event. If you love classic, antique, unique, unusual and especially muscle cars, as I do, this is a must-see venue. The weather this year was perfect and the "loop" in Pontiac provided the best seats and sights imaginable. I will return year after year!
    ricco utica, mi. August 29, 2013 at 07:29
    I've been to every WDC and consider it a MUST DO ! While I want to commend Chevrolet for 'sponsoring' the cruise but, I sure could do without the tv coverage that was just a 2 hour commercial for Chevy. The trouble with the cruise is it has gotten too 'corporate' ! Those corporations invite too many employees & guests that think it's 'cool' to cruise with their giant SUV's and NEW, ordinary 'muscle cars'. Most locals cruise during the week and avoid saturday because of the abundance of 'civilian' cars. I don't think anything can remedy this 'cause once the the tooth paste is out of the tube it's impossible to put back !
    GalaxieJeff Waterford, MI August 29, 2013 at 22:19
    I went with my 8 year old son in our '63 Ford Galaxie Convertible. We stopped and looked at everything he wanted to see. It is the everyman's cruise and am surprised how many people offered to let him sit inside their cars! My wife rolled her eyes after 2 hours of stories about what he saw!!! We started at 7am in Ferndale the day of the cruise for Mustang Alley and the Ford display, worked our way north to the Chrysler display, GM display and downtown Birmingham. Then hung out in Pontiac walking around and down to the Jag show where a bunch of old duffers looked nervious with an 8-year old running around (careful not to touch or rub anything!) poking his head in a window or two asking wierd questions for an 8-year old...like "Why is the choke level on the dash, my dad's car has it under the dash...." The strangest look was when an owner asked him how he knew so much about cars and his response was ..... "well, I am 8-yeard old now, I know a lot!!!" I am doing my best to get the next generation involved, and the cruise is a GREAT place to do that with our kids. Everybody is more than willing to tell them about their cars and answer questions. We managed to make 3 laps of Woodward, burn up a 3/4 tank of gas. Time and money well spent!
    Jeff Tuomi Atlanta August 30, 2013 at 19:44
    Lived in Detroit and moved to Atlanta. Miss the history AND the car "culture"! Can't beat Motor City in that category!!
    rick brantford ont August 31, 2013 at 14:13
    was there for 3 days.it was awesome.already made reservations for next year.been to sturgis and woodward two things done on bucket list
    Doug James Elk Rapids, Michigan August 21, 2014 at 04:31
    A friend from Ft. Myers, Florida, trailered his maroon 67' Mustang to this historical event and had his car on display amidst Ford Motor Company's Mustangs from different era's.