Mecum held its annual all-Corvette auction in conjunction with Bloomington Gold festivities, now in Champaign, Ill., on June 29, 2013. The Saturday sale saw 50 of 121 cars exchange owners for a total of $1.9M, which was $.8M off of the 2012 event and a further $3.3M lower than 2011. The auction was a much smaller affair than two years ago as well, with half the number of consignments.
Missing from this year’s event was a headline-grabbing car, which is a testament to Mecum’s growing presence in Monterey. As the company enjoys more and more success on the peninsula, owners of low-production Corvettes are opting to market their cars in California as opposed to Illinois. Prime examples are the prototype 1960 big-brake fuelie and 1968 L88 convertible that sold at Mecum’s Monterey sale in 2012. Typically these cars would have been more likely to cross the dais at Bloomington Gold.
The high sale for the auction was a Bloomington Gold Benchmark 1967 Chevrolet Corvette 327/350 coupe that tallied $106,000 and was sold as a pair with the $90,100 1967 Chevrolet Corvette 327/300 convertible. Another 1967 model, this one a fantastic and well-optioned Silver-certified 427/390 convertible, sold for $99,640. Plenty of affordable options remain among C3 and C4 cars, with the average sale price of 1972-1996 models coming out to $12,951.
- 1967 Chevrolet Corvette 327/350 Coupe sold for $106,000
- 1967 Chevrolet Corvette 427/390 Convertible sold for $99,640
- 1965 Chevrolet Corvette 396/425 Convertible sold for $93,280
- 1967 Chevrolet Corvette 327/300 Convertible sold for $90,100
- 1966 Chevrolet Corvette 427/425 Coupe sold for $89,570
- 1966 Chevrolet Corvette 427/425 Coupe sold for $82,680
- 1958 Chevrolet Corvette 283/290 Convertible sold for $74,200
- 1963 Chevrolet Corvette 327/340 Coupe sold for $74,200
- 1966 Chevrolet Corvette 427/425 Coupe sold for $74,200
- 2009 Chevrolet Corvette GTI Championship Edition sold for $69,960
Mecum’s next scheduled automotive sale is in Monterey, Aug. 15-17, 2013. The annual July Des Moines event has been canceled indefinitely.