Bonhams held its first Belgian event, the Spa Classic auction, on May 25 in Francorchamps. The event included a variety of classic cars, with an emphasis on racing cars of the 1970s. Half the cars offered (27 of 54) sold, resulting in overall sales of $4.5 million.
Top seller for the day was a 1964 Ferrari 275 GTB Berlinetta that sold for $1.2 million, including buyer’s premium, followed by a top-shelf price of $744,000 for a wonderfully restored 1968 Lamborghini Miura P400.
Other notable sales included $556,000 for a 1974 Porsche 911 Carrera RS 3-liter; $137,000 for a 1968 Mercedes-Benz 280SL with ZF 5-speed; and $44,650 for a 1972 Ford Capri RS2600 Group 2 rally car. Those three models have been rapidly appreciating the past several years, and the prices achieved at the Spa Classic put that movement in sharp relief.
- 1964 Ferrari 275 GTB Berlinetta sold for $1,200,000
- 1968 Lamborghini Miura P400 Coupe sold for $743,992
- 1974 Porsche 911 RS 3.0 Coupe sold for $565,434
- 1968 Ferrari 330 GTC Berlinetta sold for $371,996
- 1973 Porsche 911 Carrera RS 2.7 Coupe sold for $235,101
- 1935 Fiat 508S Balilla Spider sold for $223,197
- 1968 Mercedes-Benz 280SL Convertible sold for $136,894
- 1968 Ferrari 365 GT 2+2 Berlinetta sold for $129,454
- 1952 Mercedes-Benz 300 Cabriolet sold for $120,526
- 1958 Jaguar XK150 SE Roadster sold for $119,038
Bonhams’ next sale will be held June 2 in Greenwich, Conn., with the star consignment being a 1930 Bugatti Type 43. Bonhams' next European sale is scheduled for June 15 in Oxford, held in conjunction with the VMCC's Bambury Run.