17 May 2013

Classic Car TV Stars: From the days when the Big Three ruled TV

Viewed through the lens of the passage of 40 or 50 years, our favorite classic TV shows seem to have been full of great classic cars. Of course, they were all just new cars then and their presence on our favorite shows was no accident. It was the dawn of the product-placement era, and cars were by far the choicest products to embed in shows like “Green Acres” and “Bewitched.” In those days, the Big Three got near-exclusive sponsorships on the shows plus a credit at the end. Here are some of our favorite shows and the brand of cars they featured:

1. “The Rockford Files”: One of the last great private-eye shows, former big-screen star James Garner played slick Jim Rockford to perfection. And while Rockford almost never used a gun, he did use a gold Pontiac Firebird on a regular basis. Frequent continuity errors meant that Rockford could be seen driving several different years of mid-’70s Firebirds in one scene.
  2. “Green Acres”: One of the trio of CBS’s hit “rural shows,” along with “Petticoat Junction” and “The Beverly Hillbillies,” “Green Acres” was a Ford show, and the cars that received most of the screen time were a series of 1965-67 Lincoln Continental convertibles driven by cranky Oliver Douglas (played by Eddie Albert). Oliver’s Continentals get our vote as the most stylish and elegant star cars on classic television.
  3. “Charlie’s Angels”: Every adolescent boy’s favorite show was also a Ford show for most of its run. Two of the Angels drove a Mustang II — Farrah Fawcett’s character, Jill, drove what passed for a Cobra in those days — and ironically, the brainy Angel, Sabrina, actually drove a Pinto.
  4. “The Beverly Hillbillies”: The Hillbillies was a comparatively rare Mopar show —The Chrysler Corporation supplied the vehicles. The snobby Drysdales, a wealthy banking family, could usually be seen in a top-of-the-line Imperial, and Milburn Drysdale’s long-suffering assistant, Jane Hathaway, usually drove a Dodge Coronet or a Plymouth Fury convertible.
  5. “Bewitched”: For most of its run, “Bewitched” was proudly pro-Chevy, with tons of CamarosCaprices and even Corvairs appearing over the show’s long run. But the guy with the wife who could twitch her nose and conjure up any car he wanted rarely had the coolest ride on the show. Nope, it was Darrin Stephens’ boss, Larry Tate, who often showed up in a new Corvette convertible.

Thomas Bayville,N.J. May 20, 2013 at 14:15
    Did we forget i dream of genie. GTO,Fire Birds,Bvills. all pontiac.
    Dan White Maryland May 20, 2013 at 06:18
    What about Studebakers in the Mr. ED show? Studebaker was the sponsor from '61 through '64 and several Studes appeared in the show during those years. Ford sponsored the show in '65 after Studebaker ceased production in the US.
    bob schumann ingleside IL May 20, 2013 at 21:16
    brady bunch mike always had aconvertable started all chysler with acuda then went gm with an impala
    Manny Lubbock, Texas May 21, 2013 at 09:10
    You cant forget the TV show "Mannix". Those big engine Mopars stole the show for this pre-teen at the time!
    Bernie Brusko Maryland May 22, 2013 at 14:24
    Remember the Brady Bunch that had the "family car" Dodge (?) station Wagon and always had a second car that was a convertible, from a Plymoth Fury then a Challenger then switched loyalty to a Chevy Caprice that Marcia and Greg had a driving competion in.
    Bob Anschutz United States May 22, 2013 at 14:51
    As I recall, before achieving success in his PI business, Rockford drove an MG Midget (AH Sprite) in some of the early episodes. Another contemporary PI, "Harry O" (David Jansen) also drove a Spridget.
    Dan Wisconsin May 22, 2013 at 15:16
    I recall seeing an episode of "The Rookies" where the police car changed makes and whether it had a light bar, or rotating stobres or flashing lights on the roof - all in one "drive"! Talk about continuity troubles!
    lloyd graham augusta ga. May 22, 2013 at 15:24
    The smoky and the bandit TA, Dukes of hazard charger, route 66 Vette and others out rank those
    kendall Las Cruces, NM May 22, 2013 at 15:27
    Another good one would be I Dream Of Jeannie. In the earlier episodes Larry Hagman drove a GTO ragtop. Sweet and brand new!
    Charles California May 22, 2013 at 15:45
    What about Mannix? Joe Mannix played by Mike Connors drove several cars in the first season but starting in Season 2, he drove a Dodge Dart GTS 340 convertible Mopar designed by George Barris. Then between 1970 - 73 Mannix drove the E body Cuda 340 Convertibles. In 1974 he drove a '74 Dodge Challenger and finally ending the show in 1975 in a Chevy Camaro LT. But I mostly remember the Dart and Cuda as the coolest cars he drove.
    Jim Portland May 22, 2013 at 16:03
    Don't forget about the beautiful Pontiac convertibles on I Dream of Jeannie
    Steve Maryland May 22, 2013 at 16:13
    "Mister Ed" was sponsored by Studebaker. Wilbur, the horse owner, drove a Lark hardtop, while his rich neighbors drove an Avanti.
    Dean Suhr Tucson, AZ May 22, 2013 at 16:29
    I rather doubt Chrysler Corp. had anything to do with the Beverly Hillbillies Model T Truck! It is currently in Ron Pratt's private museum, Chandler, AZ
    Phil Shaw Portland, Oregon May 22, 2013 at 16:35
    The Rockford Files is still one of my favorite shows and I have the series on DVD. James Garner was remarkable as Jim Rockford, using humor as well as bravado to bring us the most unique detective since Colombo. The Firebird Esprit's used during filming of this series have become iconic. I begged my parents to buy a Firebird in 75 when I got my learners permit. They actually went to a Pontiac dealership, took one look at the two door, long hood performance based hardtop and immediately went out and bought a VW Dasher based Audi 4dr. I was bummed but spent the next 3 years thrashing that Audi to death, even reenacting the classic "Rockford turn", a 180 degree reverse slide turn. Please do not count out the "Green Hornet" Black Beauty's or the "Monkeemobile's" created by famed and recently passed builder Dan Jeffries.
    Tom Austin May 22, 2013 at 16:40
    I Dream of Jeanie was all about Pontiac! Firebirds, GTOs, I think I remember a '69 Trans Am vert, but I might just be dreaming about that one...
    Roger Schlobin Greenville, NC May 22, 2013 at 16:55
    Route 66? Cookie (Brynes) on what show?
    David Jeskey Ocala Fl May 22, 2013 at 16:58
    You have to include I Dream Of Genie! All the Pontiacs Maj Nelson drove! From GP's to GTO's to 400 Firebirds!
    Dee Oregon May 22, 2013 at 17:02
    I wish the links you place in these articles had a photo of the referenced vehicle along with the value report... I like to see what the vehicle looks like!
    Richard CA May 22, 2013 at 17:07
    The Dukes OF Hazzard. Dodge Charger
    Brian Queens NY May 22, 2013 at 17:08
    Don't for get the cop show of the 70's "Mannix". Joe Mannix drove the coolest of the muscle Mopars/Darts,Cuda's & Challenger's.
    Al Oklahoma May 22, 2013 at 17:14
    Lets not forget, "I Dream of Jeannie" and the classic GTO's!! Grrrrr
    Gerald McCain Louisiana May 22, 2013 at 17:26
    How could you leave Mannix out of the top 5. That's when I fell in love with the 'Cuda
    Larry Upstate ny May 22, 2013 at 17:39
    Rt66 comes to mind....corvette lovers. Honey West drove a Cobra. Magnum pi.....
    Jim Phillips Lakeland, Florida May 22, 2013 at 18:09
    An interesting quirk of Green Acres cars, the models of some of the cars, were sometimes Mercurys altered to look like Lincoln's and some of the door and windshield pillars were cut to clear an area for camera shots of Eddie Albert at the wheel.
    John NJ May 22, 2013 at 18:38
    I recall a show, I think it was call Dan Tanner. It was a pivate eye show in the late 60's or early 70's. The main actor had a T bird (not sure of the year, maybe late 50's--it was a 2 seater). The garage was opened to the main floor of the house.So all he needed to do was slide down a pole and jump in the car.
    Mike Mullay Maple Valley May 22, 2013 at 18:43
    And of course let's not forget the '55 Buick state patrol car driven by Broderick Crawford in "Highway Patrol" or the '59 Chevy sedans driven by Victor Jourie and his fellow actors in "The Detectives", or the various Studebaker Larks driven by Wilbur in "Mr. Ed". Mannix drove a Barracuda convertible, Dan Tanna drove a red '56 T-bird in "Vegas." Perry Mason was fond of Cadillacs and Sheriff Andy drove various Ford Galaxie sedans.
    Frank Wichita May 22, 2013 at 18:46
    My favorite was the '56 Ford Convertible that they used for scene separations in the Ozzie & Harriet show which gave birth to the Ricky Nelson phenominum
    Craig Florida May 22, 2013 at 19:27
    Holy cow, you barely scratched the surface of the cars that were the stars of TV shows. The list is nearly endless and you managed to describe probably the most obscure of the TV show star cars. Lets's start with perhaps the most famous and most copied; yes I'm referring to THE General, 1969 Dodge Charger, then there's Starsky and Hutch's red Gran Torino, George Barris's Monkees stretch Pontiac GTO convertible, Nash Bridges' "curious yellow" Hemi-Cuda convertible, Dan Tanna's cherry red '57 Thunderbird from Vegas, and very recently Michael Weston's black Dodge Charger on Burn Notice. I know there are dozens more, but like old movie stars I have to ask: "Where are they now?"
    Todd Bouwkamp Niles, Michigan May 22, 2013 at 19:42
    My favorite was Major Nelsons 65 GTO convertible from I dream of Jeanie.
    Dave N. Chicago May 22, 2013 at 19:48
    The detectives on 'Naked City' always drove unmarked Pontiac sedans. Major Nelson ('I Dream of Jeannie') always drove a GTO, and Nash Bridges was always seen in his ersatz Hemi Cuda.
    Paul Vancouver, WA May 22, 2013 at 19:50
    Don't forget "I Dream of Jeanie" and some of the coolest Pontiacs to ever roll out of Detroit.
    Dwight Guess Pattersonville, NY May 22, 2013 at 20:19
    My favorite was Mr. Ed, with vehicles supplied by Studebaker. Wilber had a Champ pick up, and his neighbor the Col. had a GT Hawk. I think Carol drove a Lark convertible.
    chris hammelef northville MI May 22, 2013 at 21:04
    I own a yellow 62 Cadillac convertible. The previous owner was in Surprise Arizona and previous to that the car was registered in San Diego. I have tried to explore it's title history with the California DMV but they said they have no records back that far. I also have a memory of a yellow Caddy convertible in Doris Days', Please Don't Eat the Daisies. Is there any record of cars that appeared in movies? It is probably a long shot but I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks
    jerome Litton fairfield, CT May 22, 2013 at 21:07
    What's about Route 66?
    Michael VIrginia May 22, 2013 at 21:19
    Some of my favorites were the Sunbeam Tiger in "get Smart", the Lotus seven in "The prisoner" ( a rather obscure TV series), Inspector Morris' Jag, An episode of Beverly Hillbillies did have an MGA in it ( notice a trend ? ) Also, most of Perry Mason's cars were Fords however Paul Drake occasionally drove a Corvette
    william merrick Cadillac Michigan May 22, 2013 at 21:24
    You forgot about the GTO convert in "I Dream Of Jeannie"
    Dave Richmond May 22, 2013 at 21:42
    I was always partial to Larry Hagman's GTO and other Pontiacs in "I Dream of Jeannie". Mannix was a Mopar show, 'Cuda in later years I believe.
    rex yarbor cynthiana indiana May 22, 2013 at 21:49
    how about the mr ed tv show with studebaker cars.
    Karl Pallastrini Carmel CA May 22, 2013 at 22:40
    Back in the day the Big 3 were all that we knew in the automotive world. Yes there were Ferraris and Porches' but the Japanese cars had yet to hit the scene in any kind of significant way. I think Hawaii 50 was also an all Ford deal.
    Dave home May 22, 2013 at 22:44
    Loved watching all the Chevy's on Bewitched. What about the boats the original Steve McGarrett and friends used to float around Oahu in?
    Michel Lamoureux Montreal May 22, 2013 at 22:52
    Cool story, Rob! Brings back many fond memories of fun family shows back then.
    John C. Cargill Illinois May 22, 2013 at 23:09
    Let's not forget Mayberry where everyone drove a Ford product.
    Chip Caldwell Georgia May 23, 2013 at 13:30
    Missed one - My Three Sons sponsered by Chevrolet Steve Douglas (Fred McMurry) and his family always had a Chevy in the driveway.
    Danny Frederick Michigan May 23, 2013 at 19:59
    Your didn't mention "Burke's Law" with Gene Barry and that beautiful Rolls Royce.
    Dan Marinola Buffalo,New York May 23, 2013 at 09:39
    I like the TV shows like Perry Mason,Adam 12,and Kojak. Perry always drove a Lincoln or on even rarer occasions had a 58 Cadillac. They were always convertibles and his private eye investigator had a cool Thunderbird,always a convertible. Adam 12 has some really cool Chrysler carson their episodes. Kojak depicts a lot of great 70's era cars in their adventures too. I love watching these programs and seeing all the great cars we drove back then. Lots of fun to guess the makes and models of the cameo appearances as well. Lots of cool stuff!
    arthur sanders boston May 23, 2013 at 09:43
    how about I dream of jeannie.Pontiac's ruled with Captain Anthony Nelson driving GTO's!!!
    Mark Naumann Maryland May 23, 2013 at 09:57
    Don't forget I Dream of Jeanie, where Major Nelson drove GTO's
    John Ossining, NY May 24, 2013 at 16:49
    Wow, how could you forget Lt. Columbo in his retro Volvo, (Peter Falk) an Ossining, NY native with a classic car, all be it Swedish-born!
    Dave home May 24, 2013 at 23:04
    While not a pioneer in placement I also remember Robert Wagner driving himself around with Stephanie in his SL Benz convertible in Hart to Hart when I am driving mine.
    Rob New Jersey May 24, 2013 at 12:35
    OK, nice article & nice cars. BUT... how can you not include the BIGGEST TV car star of all time ? The General Lee 1969 Dodge Charger, of course !?!?!?!
    Glenn Hoerth Boring Or May 25, 2013 at 13:53
    I can appreciate some of your choices but you definitely missed number 1. Get out the Perry Mason episodes and check out every awesome car from the 50's early 60's. I spotted a one of a kind 58 Pontiac Cheiftan 4 door with tri-power symbols on front fenders. Cadillacs to Lincolns to Corvettes to T-Birds this show had some of the best examples of the real car evolution and showed the best of the best that was offered in those days. One other was I Dream of Jeanie. Pontiac heaven, filmed during the muscle cars prime years of the sixties. These were my two favorites, yah I'm a Pontiac collector.
    Tom Molter Spokane, Wa May 25, 2013 at 14:16
    Wow! Am I crazy or did everyone miss the plain-jane fords that Joe Friday and Bill Gannon used on Dragnet? The uptight, no fun/serious demeanor of the characters was enhanced by the cars that they drove.
    Paul Englishtown NJ May 26, 2013 at 00:27
    Honey West Cobra
    Mark Australia May 27, 2013 at 02:55
    I think you've missed some great ones - The FBI exlcusive,y used Fords - every car was a Ford. The series ran from around 1965 to 1974. Others are Cannon, Streets of San Francisco, Adam 12, Police Story, CHIPS, Police Woman - all have great car content.
    Frank Charlotte May 28, 2013 at 13:19
    I remember Lt. Colombo as driving an old Peugeot convertible, not a Volvo. Like his trench coat, it was well-worn and wrinkled....
    John Leese Grand Rapids MI May 29, 2013 at 16:27
    Private Investigator Frank Cannon driving the Continental Mark IV's of the 1970's was always a favorite at our house. Bill Bixby The Magician in his white Corvette Coupe and of course the ultimate Mercury Marquis Brougham's of the 60's and the 70's in Hawaii Five-O with Steve McGarrett at the wheel.
    Joe B Illinois May 29, 2013 at 23:18
    I like Adam 12 Officer Pete Malloy's description of the 1967 police unit in the First Episode, really pushing the performance: "This black and white patrol car has an overhead valve V8 engine. It develops 325 horsepower at 4800 RPM's. It accelerates from 0 to 60 in seven seconds; it has a top speed of 120 miles an hour. It's equipped with a multi channeled DFE radio and an electronic siren capable of admitting three variables, wale, yelp, and alert. It also serves as an outside radio speaker and public address system. The automobile has two shotgun racks, one attached to the bottom portion of the front seat, one in the vehicle trunk. Attached to the middle of the dash, illuminated by a single bulb is a hot sheet desk. Fastened to which you will always make sure is the latest one off the teletype before you ever roll." :-)
    Mark Ashland, WI May 30, 2013 at 21:53
    Some great old Fords were featured on "The Andy Griffith Show." The town police car was a Galaxie, and one of my favorite episodes was "The Lady Speeder," in which Jean Hagen drove a stunning 1961 T-Bird convertible. I'm also sure that all viewers remember the same 1960 Falcon that used to make its way around downtown streets in the background all the time.
    Jason Schamens United States May 30, 2013 at 22:07
    I saw above about the Beverly hillbillies car being a model "t" truck but in actually it was a converted Oldsmobile. But what about the dodge truck from simon & simon or Chevy truck from The fall guy. Or the Coyote from hardcastle and McCormick
    David Holyoke MA June 2, 2013 at 05:34
    Hawaii five o has great chevy vehicles
    Craig TVLand June 12, 2013 at 15:58
    Tubbs' and Crockett's Testarossa
    Grant Southwest Virginia June 12, 2013 at 16:41
    CHIPS had some great cars on it also. Seems like Ponch drove a Trans Am or a Firebird...seems like they had a Camaro cop car once.
    Terry Bowman United States June 13, 2013 at 20:31
    Looks like the GTO's from Jeanie Beat out route 66 corvettes and even the General Lee By the responses. I remember how the fords on the cop shows like Streets of San Francisco. Lincoln Marks, Cannon drove. The bad guys always drove cheap dodges or biscaynes, and were fast as heck and cornered like sports cars. When the Hero's were thrown out and under their cars on their side with the wheels still turning, undersides were full of rust holes with 4 odd tires, snows on the front with the cords showing. But the bad guys cars burst into flames.
    Ken Santa Cruz, Ca. June 14, 2013 at 11:23
    Perry Mason's detective drove a 1956 or 1957 Corvette, probably in some of the early episodes.
    Channing Greene Chicago June 19, 2013 at 16:49
    Growing up, it was Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, and the Brady Bunch. As a station wagon guy, I always loved the BBs Chrylser/Plymouth wagons. I preferred Major Healy's Firebird 400 convertible over Major Nelson's GTO ragtop. And, I never understood why old Larry Tate got the Corvette while Darren got the full-size Chevys! As an old fart now, I prefer the full-size car to the 'Vette, so maybe Darren knew what he was doing.
    Scott Asheville January 15, 2014 at 21:38
    Thunderbirds ruled my childhood, I was obsessed with them right through the 1970's. In 77 Sunset Strip, I remember a '58 and a '61 convertible Thunderbird driven by Efrem Zimbalist Jr, reinforcing the style and sporty elegance mindset Ford was conjuring in the viewers of that time. That was the coolest show ever. In the Perry Mason series, Paul Drake had a sleek, raven black 1960 t-bird through '62 and I almost forgot the 1964 t-bird ragtop Darren drove for the debut year of Bewitched, until Ford lost the series sponsorship to Chevrolet in '65. The New Perry Mason, while a colossal series flop, sported Monte Markham posessing an elegant, massive, green 1974 thunderbird with a white vinyl top and later, in Charlie's Angels, Bosley, played by David Doyle, drove 2 jade green thunderbirds, a 1977, then a 1978 until the Ford sponsored series ended. It always struck me amusing, how the larger 'birds were used in pursuits, when their now soft suspensions were such horrible handlers!
    Scott Asheville January 15, 2014 at 21:52
    Thunderbirds ruled my childhood, I was obsessed with them right through the 1970's. In 77 Sunset Strip, I remember a '58 and a '61 convertible Thunderbird driven by Efrem Zimbalist Jr, reinforcing the style and sporty elegance mindset Ford was conjuring in the viewers of that time. That was the coolest show ever. In the Perry Mason series, Paul Drake had a sleek, raven black 1960 t-bird through '62 and I almost forgot the 1964 t-bird ragtop Darren drove for the debut year of Bewitched, until Ford lost the series sponsorship to Chevrolet in '65. The New Perry Mason, while a colossal series flop, sported Monte Markham posessing an elegant, massive, green 1974 thunderbird with a white vinyl top and later, in Charlie's Angels, Bosley, played by David Doyle, drove 2 jade green thunderbirds, a 1977, then a 1978 until the Ford sponsored series ended. It always struck me amusing, how the larger 'birds were used in pursuits, like on the 1976 Cannon series, when their now soft suspensions were such horrible handlers!
    Mike Mullay Maple Valley July 2, 2014 at 16:14
    Can't forget the '49 Mercury woody wagon driven by the Mod Squad. Or every Ford vehicle from the factory that seemed to be in Quinn Martin Production's The FBI, with Efrem Zimbalist Jr.
    Logan Chrysler Lumby, BC July 17, 2014 at 02:22
    What about the Saint's Volvo 1800S or Later AMX. Roger Moore never looked so good! Also the Avengers Bentley and Mrs. Peel's Lotus Elan. Adderly on cbs' late night drove a battered Biscayne then stepped up to a chic '74 Camaro. other car/star shows I can think of are The Prisoner (Mini Moke), UFO (Ed Straker's sleek gold Lincoln-powered "1980's" sports car) ,Fall Guy's GMC pickups and Pontiac TA, Night Heat's Impulse Turbo that made the K-cars palpable. Then there were the A-Team's GMC van, Remington Steele's Auburn and VW Rabbit ragtop. Matt Helm's 911 S and Diamonds' cobra...
    B Dellinger Northern California August 20, 2014 at 20:29
    Rockford was one of the best TV shows ever created! Who could forget him being beat up by "Goons" on countless occasions, or because his "friend" Angel Martin caused it. Cars too numerous to mention in that show if you watch the whole series.
    RegularGuy55 Chicago, IL August 20, 2014 at 20:29
    There was a 'boattail' Buick Riviera in the TV series, 'Due South' and Patrick Swayze drove a '65 Riviera in the movie 'Roadhouse'. And Craig Stevens could always be found in Mopars in the TV series 'Peter Gunn.'
    Steve Boise August 25, 2014 at 09:19
    The Beverly Hillbillies also featured a 1971 Challenger, it was red and the bucket seats were removed and replaced with low back seats. The Brady Bunch had a Barracuda, light blue.
    Charlie Long Island September 12, 2014 at 22:11
    Rockford used a 74 Firebird Esprit in the 1st season and then they modified Formula Firebirds from 75-78.Reason being was they wanted the handling and motor from the Formula with the look of the Esprit.Off came the spoiler and hood scoops and on came the bright trim from the Esprit.Throw in a tan paint job to cut down on the reflections from the lighting while they shot the scenes and there you have it
    Scott A St. Albert October 22, 2014 at 21:24
    One of my all time favorite 80's shows was:"Stingray" The staring Nick Mancuso & filmed some of the episodes were in Vancouver. He drove a 65 Corvette Stingray would only help those in need. He was not interested in payment, just one day he would ask you for a favour, & what ever it was you had to return the favour. He would offer advertise his services as "For barter only /1965 Stingray!" A true Canadian Classic car TV show in deed!
    jim norfolk va October 27, 2014 at 11:33
    Columbo's Peugeot (not Volvo) and Maxwell Smart's Sunbeam Tiger then later an Opel GT.
    don texas January 13, 2016 at 17:33
    How about the big tail fin Chrysler cars on Leave it to Beaver.
    clifford haug delhi N.Y. January 13, 2016 at 20:29
    The show Vegas with Dan Tanna ,was a red 57 Tbird and the movie American Graffite the two main cars a 1958 Chev,Impla and Suzanne Somers drove a white 55 Tbird
    Paul Gravois Cincinnati January 14, 2016 at 15:42
    What about them Duke boys? The General Lee was classic!
    Michael Doyle BC April 20, 2016 at 19:58
    the TV Show - Vegas - starring Dan Tanna (played by Robert Urich) drove a red 1957 T-bird...
    J Cialeo San Diego April 21, 2016 at 10:04
    Steve Douglass actually drove a full size Pontiac wagon on My 3 sons. Robbie was seen driving a mid 60s GTO as well. I also remember the chief on Get Smart driving a 1968 Shelby GT500 convertable in one episode