1 May 2013

HPG21 Index Preview: American Muscle Cars

Of the 15 component cars in Hagerty’s Index of American Muscle Cars, more than half appreciated and only three fell in value over the past four months. Two of those three were significant enough slips though (9% each for the expensive Hemi Cuda convertible and Hemi Superbird) that the index stumbled overall with a 3% decline – which is the same amount the group is down year over year.

No need to fear another freefall, however. The truth is that while some of the more expensive cars of the genre continue to search for footing, pony cars (early Mustangs and Z/28s in particular) and some cheaper models (such as Bandit-era Firebirds) showed impressive gains since January. No matter the numbers, we feel that present day is a great time to get behind the wheel of one of these cars. You may not be able to flip it in a year for twice what you paid, but you aren’t likely to see prices get too much lower, either.

Index value: 78.5 All-time high: 116.5 (September 2007)
Five-year high: 90.8 (September 2008) Five-year low: 72.2 (September 2010)
Four-month change: -3% 12-month change: -3%
36-month change: 8% 60-month change: -12%
Component cars: 15 Gainers: 8
No change: 4 Losers: 3

Component cars

1969 AMC AMX 390/340 n/c 1970 Buick GS455 convertible 1%
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS 409/425 convertible 1% 1968 Chevrolet Camaro Yenko 427 coupe n/c
1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 454 LS6 coupe 3% 1969 Dodge Charger 426/425 Hemi 500 hardtop coupe n/c
1969 Ford Mustang Boss 429/375 SportsRoof n/c 1968 Mercury Cougar GTE 428/335 coupe 2%
1970 Oldsmobile 4-4-2 W-30 coupe 1% 1970 Plymouth Superbird 426/425 coupe -9%
1970 Plymouth Hemi 'Cuda convertible -9% 1970 Plymouth 'Cuda AAR coupe 4%
1965 Pontiac LeMans GTO 389/360 Tri-Power convertible n/c 1965 Shelby GT350 -1%
1968 Shelby GT500 KR convertible 2%

Bill Pock Atlanta, GA May 1, 2013 at 22:40
    Are there any price/value guides for resto mods, hot rods, and pro touring cars. I have always had classics, original and restored and have utilized your valuation tables but am now interested in the resto mod/ hot rod market. Where can I get this information. Thanks.
    Ron Young Dana Point, CA May 8, 2013 at 14:49
    Great question, Bill. I have been wondering the same thing. Also, I am wondering what constitutes a resto-mod and how old of a conversion can it be.
    Craig Williams Dallas, Tx May 8, 2013 at 15:53
    I also am interested in resto mods and pro touring classics with upgraded ls motor conversions. Where do we find this info? Thanks
    MYTFAST Baltimore, Md May 8, 2013 at 16:56
    Let's face it. The purest cars that are usually described as "component cars" represent the core of very unique, very expensive & usually out of the $$ range of those of us that represent the majority of old car owners. That's why the resto mod cars have become so popular & accepted - although often shunned by those who remain purists & can afford to indulge in the higher $$ level of the hobby. It's often that 80% of a high level restoration cost can be spent on the last 20% of the restoration, producing what is often called a "Trailer Queen". While high level restored cars certainly have their place in the hobby, so do the resto mods, which are often the cars the general public sees most often & encourages participation by the masses in the hobby. In the area I live, it's become common place for groups of car guys to assemble on a saturday evening with their rides at the far ends of the local shopping center parking lots to enjoy talking about their rides. No egos, just fun! It attracts a lot of attention form passersby who like the informality of the get together & giving the family the opportunity to become familiar with the cars & owners close up!
    Cher Carlson Denver, CO May 8, 2013 at 12:21
    I have a 71 Dodge SuperBee 383 magnum and would like an estimated value
    Steven Csajka Florida May 9, 2013 at 06:48
    Hello, I keep seeing the Camaro and Chevelle on the list of muscle cars. Sometime I hope folks will finally list the Nova as part of the muscle cars.
    Lee Robertshaw Canada May 9, 2013 at 08:12
    Do you offer any value news for hot rods
    jason fell northern Ca. May 9, 2013 at 12:37
    I would bet with a vast number of baby boomers retiring, you will see the mid-level muscle cars like mustangs, cams and some others start to go up in value. I'm a baby boomer and purchased the muscle car I could never afford while raising a family. Keep up the good work I love reading this news letter.
    skyking United States May 10, 2013 at 22:47
    I am the third owner of my 66 Sting Ray, which I have owned for approx 20 years. I find it interesting that the value keeps fluctuating. The facts are that there are not as many as used to be!