11 April 2013

When a Car Guy Knows it’s Spring

For ordinary people, daffodils pushing through the ground, the tweeting of birds and the wheezing as your allergies take hold are sure signs that winter is over. But for people who love cars and motorcycles there are other signs of spring.

1. For the first time in four months you can hear the rumble of your neighbor’s Boss 302
  2. While out on your favorite back road in your Austin-Healey 3000 you had to dodge eight cyclists
  3. You woke up this morning to the lovely sweet sounds of the municipal street sweeper cleaning your road of all that tiny gravel and sand left over from winter.
  4. You were up all night Friday wondering if your Chevelle will start for the first time on Saturday morning, thinking, did I use enough Stabil or will I have to clean the carburetor again?
  5. Despite having to cut the lawn, spread fertilizer and plant the tomatoes, you can’t wait to wash and wax the ’59 Eldo.

If you’re not thinking thoughts like these, it’s probably time for you to unplug the Volt or get someone to check the tire pressure in the Prius before checking that your compost temperature probe is properly positioned.

Bill Clay United States April 17, 2013 at 17:01
    Hah! #3 is just for us northern folks, and it's the harbinger I wait for...
    Bill Hite Jr. Mnnesota April 17, 2013 at 19:54
    Well said!!!
    charlie Vancouver WA April 17, 2013 at 23:51
    It simply doesn't matter what needs be done. I call it, "MG Weather."
    Ray Hays Jacksonville, Florida April 18, 2013 at 14:15
    Down here where we never store our cars for the winter, know that salt is for french fries and not roads, and think that 50 degrees is call for a snuggle by the fireplace, we know it's Spring from the whining of all the Yankee magazine writers about how Spring seems late this year. ;-))
    Matthew Far west Texas April 18, 2013 at 14:23
    You are absolutely right. We hit the road tomorrow in my '67 Mustang convertible to tour the Texas hill country. It's our annual "bluebonnet run"
    Ron Wahl Grosse Ile, MI April 18, 2013 at 17:17
    Felt good to get the 2013 Boss 302 out yesterday! Had a '70 Boss 302 back in the day, and this one blows it away! Good job, FORD MOTOR!
    Diane Brandon Tualatin, Oregon April 18, 2013 at 11:33
    Ever wonder what the other people do with their Saturday mornings?
    Don Miholovich Seattle, WA April 19, 2013 at 04:27
    Perfect article, Well Done! I got a big laugh out of it! I couldn't wait to send it to my friends who own Prius's...
    stephen coe trinity nc April 20, 2013 at 00:01