12 March 2013

What's in a name? Everything — and then some

Roger Allard had always dreamt of one day owning an English vintage automobile. One would do, to start with. Nothing too fancy, maybe in British Racing Green, his favorite color. But little did Roger know that, through strange twists of fate, he would soon be plunged into a whole lot more than he had bargained for.

This uncanny adventure began in the summer of 1995, when he and wife Rosemary were visiting England to attend car events and museums on the occasion of Roger's 50th birthday. First stop: Bognor Regis, West Sussex, where with son Christien, they found themselves at a local concours checking out dad's favorite wheels: the Austin-Healey.  Also showcased were Aston Martins, MG's, Triumphs and other celebrated UK brands. Great stuff, but nothing buyable that day. So off they went. As they exited the field, Roger's eye unexpectedly caught the one-word title of a book sitting on a display shelf: “ALLARD.” Interesting, he thought, same name as his, and a marque he had never heard of. On the cover was a photo of the Allard Motor Company’s J2X competition roadster. Said book was purchased, the first “tipping point” of our story.

The second such tipping point happened on the next day, while the family trio was at the Beaulieu National Motor Museum in the South of England, where Roger now hoped to spot his first Allard. Surprisingly, none was to be seen amid the impressive collection. On their way out, a disappointed Roger asked an old gardener if he knew where an Allard could be found. “But right here, sir,” said the gardener. As it turned out, the Museum had just received not one, but two Allards — a J2X and a Dragon — though not shown them yet to the public. The visitors were ushered back inside to a holding room where, low and behold, the Allards had been parked right next to ... an Austin-Healey, Roger's original dream car. Pictures were taken of the new subjects.

Over the following weeks, Roger became increasingly taken by the life of Sydney Allard, the creator of the car, an outside-the-box genius and speed-junky, who loved American V-8's and narrowly escaped death more than once on the track. During WWII, he operated a large repair shop for army vehicles. When the conflict ended, loads of parts were left over from which he would assemble his unique motorcars. Many different road-friendly models followed, sold, or didn't, as the case may be. Sydney Allard at the time was already, and unknowingly, the consummate hot rodder. Born in London, the “Guv'nor”, as he was known, launched his racing career in 1929 with a Morgan three-wheeler, which was subsequently converted to a four-wheel vehicle: the Allard Special. His greatest victories were a third position finish at the 24-Hours of the 1950 LeMans in an Allard J2; and a first overall in the Monte Carlo Rally of 1952 in an Allard P1.

Recognized for having introduced drag racing to the UK by building his own slingshots, Allard founded both the International Drag Festival and British Drag Racing Association. Risk was his fuel, which may be why Roger, himself a racer, judo champion, parachutist and shark diver, felt a special connection to his namesake: “You can only experience the full beauty of the canyon floor if you are near the edge,” he said.

The thought crossed Roger's mind that it could be thrilling to own and, especially, drive an Allard. But where to find it. These are rare cars: some 1900 were made between 1936 and 1959; and his newfound predilection was for the J2X, of which only 83 were built. So he joined the Allard Owners Club and intensified his research. That same year, he was invited to speak in Los Angeles at a work-related conference of the International Association of Business Communicators. While in California, he looked up a chap who produced the car in kit form out of San Diego. The two men hit it off and Roger got the keys to his host’s J2X demonstrator sitting in the garage. Within minutes at the wheel, lightning struck: Roger was instantly, and irrevocably, smitten. The sound, the feel, the power of it all.... Oh, bliss!

A few weeks after returning home, he received a phone call from the man, now in failing health, who says he intends to sell out. If Roger can come up with the money — which he does — it's all his. That includes the moulds and jigs stored in a Phoenix warehouse, which are subsequently packed into an eighteen-wheeler and schlepped back to Montreal. The following week, another call: this time, it's from the manager of the warehouse saying that lightning—the real thing now— had hit the building, triggering a blaze that destroyed the entire structure and its contents. Were it not for the miraculous timing of that earlier retrieval operation, all of the Allard components would have otherwise been lost forever.

In honoring the legacy of Sydney Allard, Roger feels he's given new life to a glorious competition roadster which can now be enjoyed by collectors, on or off the track. His corporate slogan says it all: Rarely Seen - Never Forgotten. Operations have been set up in Champlain (New York) for all vehicles sold in the U.S., and in Montreal for overseas exports. Production is capped at 100 vehicles per year to preserve exclusivity and ensure owners an appreciating value over time. He's clear on one point: the J2X MkII is a professionally engineered automobile authenticated by the Allard Register, with a special serial number conferred upon each vehicle by this sanctioning body. From the first commemorative edition J2X delivered in November 2008 to this day, Roger has received numerous accolades — including by none other than Jay Leno — though his greatest satisfaction comes from the feedback of those who just love driving the modern J2X MkII.

Some car stories are rooted in legend or stem from odd beginnings. This one, in addition, seems to show no end in sight, which bodes well for the re-creator of the iconic Allard J2X.  Best news of all, though, is that through thick and thin on the edge of the cliff, Roger and Rosemary have stayed happily married for more than 43 years.  As the Chinese proverb says: May you live in interesting times!

For more info: allardj2x.com

Ted Uihlein Lawrence Kansas March 20, 2013 at 17:34
    I own Roger's first production J2X. I have owned several special sportscars ove the years, but this one is definitely the finest. Truly a blast to drive!
    Larry Nirenberg Massachusetts March 20, 2013 at 19:19
    Several years ago I went to the Equinox hill climb in Manchester, VT and saw this open cockpit british racing green 4 wheel thing of beauty and it was, of course, my first Allard. The sound of a Cadillac V8 powering a British style sports car is something I will never forget.
    Donald Kieffer So. Abington Twp., PA 18411 March 21, 2013 at 14:24
    What a beautiful car.
    Ted Kansas March 21, 2013 at 08:50
    I have Roger's first production J2X. Of all the fine sportscars I have owned, this is the best. A blast to drive!
    kevin coffey United States March 21, 2013 at 09:23
    I used to work with Sydneys grand daughter, Leslie, in North Wales, UK, as a photographer...and lived in Tooting,South London, just down the road from where he built some of the Allards, in Clapham. South London, I live in PA now, and have seen a couple of Allards at local classic car shows...
    Ivan Snell Blythewood, SC March 21, 2013 at 09:41
    I visited the shop just north of Marina Del Rey, CA. Being an expatriate Brit of a certain age, the beautiful J2X and other models brought tears to my eyes.I thought back to my impecunious days back in the UK in the late '50s and remembered thumbing through the back pages of "Motor Sport" and seeing used Allards for sale at reasonable prices; even contemplated one, but decided it probably was too "hairy" for me - besides, the price of petrol determined that something more economical was in order.....These are far better executed than the originals!
    Robert Fisher New Smyrna Beach, FL March 21, 2013 at 10:50
    Enjoyed reading this. Hope all is well. Stop and visit when in Fl. Bob
    Mark Thornsjo St. Paul, MN March 21, 2013 at 12:28
    My dad owned J2 chassis #1739 that at the time had the prototype Belchowski Buick V8 installed, and raced it in the early 60's, years after Allards were supposed to be competitive. But in tribute to the sheer power of that car, and with his skill in taming this beast, he regularly beat many supposedly superior cars, including the small-block Cobras that Carroll Shelby patterned after the Allard J2 (in fact, Shelby owned one and that's what inspired him to go on to produce the Cobras using AC chassis...). It was thrilling as a youngster to ride with my father as his J2 was, like so many racing Allards, configurable for street driving. The guys who had early Mustangs, and of course the 'Vette guys, used to try to pimp a street drag race, but my dad always saved his performances for the track, though I do recall him letting it out a couple of times nonetheless. And I was lucky, too, because my dad got the Allard bug from his brother who owned a J2X (with red alligator upholstery; don't know what became of it), so I got to ride in both models. Then, in 2009 when on a vacation to Sedona, AZ and shopping up in Jerome, I spotted what I thought was a restored J2X - which turned out to be Ted Uihlein's that he notes was the first production J2X MKII. He graciously gave me a short ride up the mountain (Allards were developed initially for hill-climbing), so it was a thrill to experience the newly engineered version, which is amazing and sure brought back those childhood memories. It inspired me to find out what became of my dad's #1739 - and upon contacting the last known owner, sure enough in 2010 collector Paul Burt in Illinois bought the disassembled car (sadly missing the Belchowski Buick engine but otherwise mostly complete) and has beautifully restored it (view the restoration at Paul's web site: The Burt Collection). So for my memory the cycle is complete, and I'm grateful for the experience that continues through folks like Roger Allard, Ted Uihlein and Paul Burt. All hail Allard!
    Barbara Gibson (Windle) Toronto April 2, 2013 at 11:18
    Very interesting article. So good to hear news of a Renfrew high school friend. :-) Barb
    Chris Saunders 30 mins from London November 16, 2014 at 14:45
    I have hankered after a Cobra for the past 39 years, having recently discovered Rogers creation I am now aiming my sights on a new Allard, only another 6 months or so and I should be in a position to afford one, the only fly in the ointment is the added £28,000 for VAT plus import duty, this really bugs me.
    peter bakaric sydney australia March 31, 2015 at 17:25
    I own an AC Cobra once owned by Ted Uihlein. Noticed his name on this discussion. Ted, if you receive notification, pls contact me on: peter@bakaric.com.au