28 February 2013

Video: Ride along in a 1963 Buick Riviera

Jeff Jurcak's father, Carol, was proud of his role in designing the 1963 Buick Riviera, but he could never afford one himself. When Carol’s dream finally came true upon his retirement in 1992, he and the Riv became nearly inseparable. Carol not only enjoyed the drive, he was humbled by the attention the car received. Jeff said that his father’s personal connection to this iconic automobile, as well as the fond memories of him driving it, make this Riviera a keeper.

Chuck McDonald United States March 21, 2013 at 05:40
    Real heart warming story. I owned a 1963 Riviera EXACT same color and year but had the white vinyl interior without power windows.That car with the Dynoflow was so quick and being a 17 year old at the time the car was put to the test often. The wheel covers were also way ahead of their time and people even way back then would always complement the car, it was a looker than as now and now it looks ageless. Thanks for sharing your car.
    David Olsen Tigard, Oregon April 3, 2013 at 18:18
    I owned a 63 new for 3 years until a guy ran a red light and totaled me. 18 years ago I found a one-owner 64 from Memory Lane Motors in Portland and still own it.. Love it's Marlin Blue exterior and interior, everything electric and the 64 upgrade to Turbo Hydramatic drive.............7-9mpg in town and 15mpg highway............:-)
    Richard Gorny Chicago April 3, 2013 at 18:21
    I really enjoyed the video clip. Thank you so much for sharing. I understand EVERYTHING that you explained in the video. As an original and current owner of my vintage and Original factory 79 Chevy Monte Carlo I like the fact that you kept the car original to factory specs. Beautiful example. Richard
    Lewis Napa, CA April 3, 2013 at 21:35
    Great story! Horrible music. Would have liked to hear the car and maybe some tune from 1960 or so, when the car was being designed. Also, the picture of him with the grill: that was NOT a RIviera grill.
    Mike Windsor, CA April 11, 2013 at 02:37
    I owned a 1964 Biuck Riviera in the early '80s. It was that funny metallic pink that only Riviera could pull off and look great. I always felt like it was a time warp when I drove it with the AM/FM radio. Was it a Dynaflow? I always thought it was a Turbo Hydramatic transmission. It always got the looks. I don't miss the suspension system of that time though. We've come a long way there. It was really great fun to drive. I still miss it. I think the grill in the clay mock up we see is from a 1967 Buick Electra. My best guess. Thanks for the trip
    Arthur New Jersey April 12, 2013 at 14:24
    Had one "in Detroit" same color but with black interior, I was known by the car & proud of it!! I caught my soon- to- be wife with this car, we were the couple. In the 60's in Detroit you had to ride strong. Would have liked more info. on the design process & history. Saw 1 in black @ Philly Auto Show and couldn't stop beaming. How many functional 63-64 Riv's are out there??