Tuesday afternoon was warm and sunny in Phoenix, and the rental car shuttles were already full of people overdressed for the weather who had come from places that are currently in the grips of winter. The general discussion was, bad economy or not, they were going to be buying some cars.
This was evidenced at Barrett-Jackson on Tuesday, where 156 lots were sold (we can’t say "cars" because 29 of them were pickups). Prices were strong with a total of $3.84 million, but we're a long way from the week's expected total of $190 million. However, it was only Tuesday, and there are another five sales yet to crank up. We’ll keep you posted as that number climbs.
Listed below are the raw results witnessed by Hagerty during the live auction. These figures do not factor in any post-sale deals that may occur, but they do include the appropriate buyer’s premiums.
Barrett-Jackson Auction Company
Automotive lots sold: 156
Automotive lots offered: 156
Sell-through rate: 100%
Total, with commission: $3.84M
Average Sale Price: $24,615
Top Tuesday Sales (4-7 sold for the same amount
1. 1956 Ford F-100 Custom Pickup sold for $58,300
2. 1957 Chevrolet Cameo Pickup sold for $57,200
3. 1969 Chevrolet Camaro Yenko coupe re-creation sold for $56,650
4. 1968 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible sold for $55,000
5. 1965 Ford Thunderbird Convertible sold for $55,000
6. 1967 Chevrolet Nova SS 2-door Hardtop sold for $55,000
7. 2009 Jeep Wrangler SEMA Show Car sold for $55,000