5 October 2011

Our Cars: Independent Agent Rick Munday's 1968 Olds factory drag car

Independent Agent Rick Munday is lucky enough to own his dream car – a 1968 Olds factory drag car that was never intended to be sold to the public.

Agency: Munday Insurance Agency

Years working with Hagerty: Since 2005

Car: 1968 Olds factory drag car

Background: My ’68 Olds is my dream car. It belonged to Victor George Oldsmobile in Grand Blanc, Michigan, and is a factory drag car that was never meant to be sold to the public. It is the only F-85 W-31 that exists because all of the dealers were told to destroy them when they were finished racing them. Victor George did not comply. This is a no-option, radio delete car. The antenna is still under the front seat and they never drilled the fender to mount it. Its Ram Rod 350 engine means this car is very fast and drives like a dream. It has 19,992 actual miles and has been in my family for 27 years.

Why this car? Did I mention it’s an F-85 W-31 with a Ram Rod 350 engine? Also, it held the record in E class drag racing.

Repairs and modifications (planned or completed): I did a frame-off last year. We did nothing to the body, meaning that we had to be really careful not to damage the paint.

Hobby activities (clubs, events, etc.): My favorite hobby activities are car shows and cruises like Back to The Bricks in Flint, Michigan.

Favorite drive: To Frankenmuth, Michigan, for the local cruise and show.

Best and worst moments: I haven’t had any bad moments, just good times seeing friends and making new ones. My favorite moment was when I placed the Olds in the Scholz 25th Autofest and won Best of the Best. They announced how rare my car is and told attendees to be sure to get a look at it.

Mike Bangor pa July 16, 2013 at 20:17
    You may not believe this but I actually have one of these cars. So you don't have the only one. Mine was bought by the guy who raced it from the dealership. Then I bought it off him many years ago. It's been sitting in my garage since.
    gearith burkhart lombard ill October 17, 2013 at 22:12
    I have a 1969 olds 442 holiday coupe , it has radio delet , no power steering , drum brakes , dealer installed air bags , and a 466 dealer installed gear . Factory Hot Rod ? This car is nice , it shows 9000 miles on the speedo . I was told the car has sat in the garage for the last 30 yrs . Looking for docs , any ideas ?
    Larry United States February 26, 2015 at 10:28
    I bought a red 1969 f85 with a W-31 4speed 488 gears from Holiday Olds in Buffalo NY in 1970. It also was a factory race care that only had 800 miles on it. No options at all. It was fast but not a real pleasure to drive. I sold it 3 years later to a young kid.
    ted taylor hawaii March 25, 2016 at 08:48
    w-31's were put back on the lot after being raced-this guy has no idea what he is talking about
    Fred Dempsey New York August 15, 2016 at 20:36
    I worked for Victor George Olds and drove this car in NHRA competition from 1969 till sometime in 1972. The car was put back to its original condition and sold to a customer after the 1970 season. The guy who bought it promptly exploded the engine and could not afford to repair it so I bought it from him and put it back into drag race trim and raced it for a couple of years before selling it to Jon Bibb around 1972. It was a production car and was available to anyone who wanted to buy one. We had help from Oldsmobile of course but it was not a "factory drag car" as mentioned in this post. The factory never told dealers to destroy these cars. I was there and helped build and drove this car and its funny how things get distorted aver time. My partner and crew during this time was Duane "DU" Dunham who was the parts manager for Victor George Olds. If you want to know the early history of this car, let me know. Also, Jack Marks drove this car during the 1068 NHRA season. I do have a few pics of this car as well.
    Rick Munday Columbiaville, MI October 20, 2016 at 21:09
    Lots of statements on my car. As I stated this was a drag car raced by Victor George. There was only 30 F-85 with the w-31 package produced. My car was shown in Car Craft Magazine Aug of 1968. Titled probing Drag Racing's Twilight Zone. There are several pages on my car, calling it a drag car. Several dealership in the mid west received one of these vehicles. This is a no option car with a bench seat. Duane that work at Victor George gave me the original " Super tuning and Blueprinting olds "W" Machines book with all of the tricks that was done to my car. There was a total of 38 of these cars built. I was told years ago by two different dealerships that if I did have this car there was no title, They were told not to sell there's. I showed them I had a title and they said that it was never to be sold to the public. I said not sure what to say on that except I do have a title. That is why I thought I had the only one left. Even if there is another, it is still very rare car. To think there were ONLY 38 built with this option. Say what you want. I have a real one and it is BEAUTIFUL. I very proud to own it along with it's history. I have a copy of the Aug 1968 Car Craft Magazine with my car in it. They called it a DRAG CAR.