28 July 2007

What Are You Working On?

Last month’s poll asked “Are you working in the garage on a winter project?” The results are in, and 49 percent of respondents answered yes. And 16.2% are off and on with a project.

Most folks seem to be working diligently to get their ride back on the road by springtime. Full-on resto projects include: updating a 1930 Ford Street Rod, a ’69 GTO, Model A Brakes, restoring a 57 chevy 150, 1976 Chevelle, two Alfa Spiders, restoring rocker panel brackets on a ‘63 Corvette SWC and some other interior restoration, ‘65 Triumph TR4 total engine rebuild, bodywork on '67 VW Bug, restoring a ‘71 and ‘73 Mustang, 1961 Morgan Drophead. My 1956 Dodge truck.

More in-depth individual responses included:

“MB 240D – but a bit cold the past few weeks to work on it!”

“1930 Chevy tudor sedan street rod. Installing Vintage air, Rootlieb hood (top panel only) also finished overhead console & floor console so far this winter.”

“Replacing cracked dash pad and horn, and installing insulation horn and electric fan on my Spitfire.”

“Just general clean up and maintenance.”

“Minor restoration, a ton of performance upgrades!”

“’64½ Mustang: 260ci, C4 AT 68 Bronco, 289ci, granny 4-speed”

”Scraping and refinishing wheel wells to prepare for rebuilt transaxle and brakes on a '52 Porsche.”

One respondent says his ride is resting until April because he’s in Clearwater, Fla. He says, “I hope all the snow in New York is gone by the time I get back.” We hope so too!

wayne spindler maryland August 20, 2014 at 19:29
    Finishing installing a new motor in my 67 chevelle ss.
    Bob Buchanan Alton, New Hampshire September 18, 2014 at 07:24
    Fine tuning and cleaning up last details on my 1952 chevy pick up. Small block 265ci with 3 twos,, saganaw 4 speed, camaro rear end. All original body with a clear coat. Great driver.
    Tom Owen Chattanooga, TN November 21, 2014 at 04:12
    Lacing up new alloy rims on my '69 Triumph T100 C motorcycle and installing new steering bearings and rebuilding the forks
    Robert Spencer United States January 7, 2015 at 21:36
    I have a '68 Chevelle Malibu I bought nearly finished except for several small details; it needed air shocks, window rubber, a distributor, wiper motor, blower fan,the trunk leaked, needed ball joints, the timing was off, some exterior chrome was needed,one visor was cracked, the fan and horn didn't work and the bench seat needed springs and foam.All has been completed ( I just got it back from the interior shop today 1-7-14). Now I get to the point where I can really enjoy it and the temps drop to the 10's. Figures.
    Daniel north east Md. January 16, 2015 at 21:57
    Working on a 1965 mustang, reworking a 68 306 block with Brodix 170cc heads, 351 victor jr. intake, coustom cam. 1.55 comp roller rockers. weather is freezing but i must finish before the car show in ocean city the first weekend in march. ICE BREAKER PONY !!!!!
    Terry Rainwater Jr Rockford Al December 4, 2015 at 11:50
    Saving a 1961 Buick Invicta Custom Bubble top from the scrape yard, Replace inter and outer rockers, front and rear floor pans, Body mounts in rear trunk area, wheel well patches and lower fender brackets that had to be made. Can't buy many after market parts for a 61 Buick.
    Arturo Friend Hereford, Az December 5, 2015 at 08:47
    Recently purchased a 77 F-150 Custom 4x4 400 engine 4spd rock crawler. About 75% original, duties include replacing windshield,heater core,upgrading under the dash a/c,and better sound system.Thumbs up every time when heading up to work.Better upgrades coming soon all around. Would like to post photos if possible. Aho !
    Larry E 35 miles NE of INDY January 6, 2016 at 16:38
    Finiishing up reinstalling the 350 in my 72 Montee Carlo
    Paul Grant Barrie, Ont, Canada March 31, 2016 at 15:01
    Have 64 Ford Fairlane 4 dr.(old man's car with 289 punched 40 over, mild cam, 5 speed manual, 4BBL) Waiting to get back from body shop (rear ended) then will be doing dash work and fixing cooling problem. Why its been -28F this past winter