21 February 2006

Shelby, Camaro and Challenger, Oh My

When asked in last month’s poll which car you would choose from the North American International Auto Show, the results bounced throughout the month. However, the winner is the Shelby GT 500 – at 41 percent. The Dodge Challenger came in second at 31 percent, with the Camaro in third at 24 percent. The top two contenders duked it out but the Shelby came out on top.

Some folks commented further:

“I’ve wanted a Shelby my entire adult life... I might even be able to afford this one!"

“The Camaro looks a little like a Mustang. The Challenger looks Sa-Weeet!”

“Come on! it is a Shelby GT 500! I would love to feel the rumble of a NEW Shelby under my seat.”

“Great retro looks, great engineering, great performance and it is a Mustang! The 2007 GT 500 looks like a car that would ride like it was on rails.”

In the Other category, 4 percent voted that they would prefer something other than a muscle car remake. Those included were the 2007 Jaguar XK convertible, a few votes for the Chrysler Imperial, the Corvette Z06, and the Lincoln MK 9.

Don’t forget to take this month’s poll asking, “What retro icon would you want back today?”

Jason Fell Tracy Ca. April 24, 2014 at 17:44
    I retired after 30 years of work and got me a present to myself, a 2007 Shelby GT 500. All I can say is why did I wait so long to get one. Love it and hey all muscle cars are great weather it be a GM Chrysler or Ford. Hard to beat Detroit iron.
    James Kerr Meadville ,Pa. May 2, 2014 at 20:31
    I bought a 2010 challenger srt8 for my retirement I also have a 2005 magnum r/t and 1968 G T S 383 DART and they are all fun to drive.
    Gary F Memphis, TN March 4, 2015 at 22:11
    Concur with picking any TRUE Shelby converted Mustang from the 06-14 retro generation (starting with the Shelby GT-H - the 1st Shelby Mustang in 37 years - and the one that kicked it off for those that followed starting in 2007)! I know, I own one - and it's instantly recognizable - unlike the new generation 2015 Mustang design.
    Larry McHale Squamish BC March 5, 2015 at 18:16
    I love the new Challenger Hellcat with the 700HP plus. I have a 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner with 700HP and I can tell you it is a blast to drive. There is just something mystical about the big horsepower Mopars!!
    Anton de Kock South Africa May 28, 2015 at 08:03
    Pity the British cars are not included. Of the North American cars I would vote Cadillac.
    charles tobey Nevada November 3, 2016 at 14:10
    WE bought a charger AWD with a hemi with 375 horse. This car is a total supprize in that it handles better , goes better, and gets better looks and gas milage than my wife's new camero. My wife is now shopping for a new challenger , good luck GM.