Trucks have been gaining popularity as collectors for their uniqueness, history and for being affordable. Hagerty embraces their increasing collectability by offering the same unbeatable Guaranteed Value™ program that is available for our classic car owners. But exactly which trucks are considered collectable, and what is eligible for Hagerty’s program? That’s what I’m here to discuss.
The trucks that we are able to insure meet the following guidelines:
- Must be 1985 or older.
- Minimum value for 1972 or older is $3,500.
- Minimum value for 1973-1985 is $5,000 and the vehicle must be in good or better condition.
- Modified trucks must be 1989 or older and hold a minimum value of $5,000
- Hauling, towing, camping and off-road use is generally unacceptable because it causes excess wear and tear on a vehicle and increases the risk of an accident.
However, there are exceptions:
- We will consider the newer, special interest trucks, such as: Chevrolet El Camino, SS 454 and SSR, Dodge Ram SRT10, Ford Lightning, GMC Caballero, Syclone and Typhoon. When considering one of these vehicles, a regular use truck or utility vehicle in addition to the collector is preferred.
- Camping usage may be acceptable with underwriting approval. Camping must only be done while at show events and on a limited basis with the right risk profile. We will take into consideration the current collections, length of ownership and usage history.
- We understand that some collector vehicle(s) were designed with the capability of pulling a trailer. This can be acceptable use if the collector vehicle was built to handle this activity, it is for hobby-related use and the hauling vehicle, trailer and vehicle being hauled are insured by Hagerty. Normal vehicle year, make, model and condition guidelines apply for the hauling vehicle. Acceptable situations that our underwriters may be able to accommodate include: a 1939 Ford Deluxe Wagon pulling a small classic boat trailer with a collector wooden boat, a 1960 Chevrolet Impala pulling a matching tear drop trailer or a 1981 Chevrolet C10 pulling a trailer with a 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air to car shows.
Stepsides, Fleetsides, Long and short beds, we love them all; if you have a client that also has an appreciation for trucks, give us a call at 1-800-922-4050.