Muscle Cars

Index of 1960s American muscle cars

For the second update in a row, Hagerty’s Muscle Car Index achieved another all-time high. Compared to a year ago, the Muscle Car Index has grown an astounding 40 percent. Much of this has been fueled by a large increase to Hemi Cuda Convertibles last book, but things go deeper than the influence of a single car.

For nearly every segment of the muscle car market, the previous year saw the reversal of years of declining values. For the latest update, increases to the index’s component cars were more isolated and far less eye-watering than the previous book, but no less significant. While 1970 LS6 Chevelles gained by 6 percent, less powerful and sought-after models like 1971-72 Chevelle Super Sports posted growth of 10 percent or more. Not noted in the index either is the 16 percent gain posted by 1969-70 GTO Judges. These increases demonstrate that contrary to what some have speculated, muscle cars are not a dying segment in the hobby. Muscle cars are as relevant as ever and garner as much attention now as they did during their previous peak in the mid-2000s.

-Greg Ingold

The Hagerty Price Guide Index of American Muscle Cars is a stock market style index that averages the values of the rarest and most sought-after muscle cars. The list below shows the cars that make up the index, while the graph to the left shows this index’s average value over the years. Values are for #2 condition, or “excellent” cars.

This index includes