29 April 2013

HPG21 Index Preview: Affordable Classics

The Hagerty Index of Affordable Classics ticked off its largest four-month gain since its September 2006 inception, moving 4%. This market segment, as the name suggests, has never been volatile, and the 4% change is still conservative. The new value is a high-water mark, though, and five-year gains sit at 6%.

Credit goes mainly to the Mustang, which corrected following a lengthy period of inactivity. Some strong sales of Avantis have helped advance those cars, and early MGBs and mid-year Corvairs also showed strength. On the downside, the 240Z and TR6 both declined, but only nominally at that.

Index value: 114.2 All-time high: 114.2 (May 2013)
Five-year high: 114.2 (May 2013) Five-year low: 106.8 (September 2011)
Four-month change: 4% 12-month change: 4%
36-month change: 4% 60-month change: 6%
Component cars: 13 Gainers: 8
No change: 3 Losers: 2

Component cars

1969 AMC Javelin 343 1% 1949 Buick Roadmaster Sedanette n/c
1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza convertible 4% 1970 Chevrolet Camaro SS 350/300 coupe n/c
1971 Datsun 240Z -1% 1965 Ford Mustang GT coupe 30%
1963 MGB Mk I 4% 1972 Porsche 914 2.0 Targa 1%
1962 Studebaker Lark convertible n/c 1963 Studebaker Avanti R-1 5%
1972 Triumph TR6 convertible -1% 1967 Volkswagen Beetle Sedan 1%
1967 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia coupe 1%

Lanny Jarrrell Trinity, N.C. May 1, 2013 at 15:31
    It is about time, I have a 1965 2+2 Fastback black aon black 289 hi po. I bought restored 6 years ago at the hight of the market. I would like to see the value top what I have in it. It"s my baby and it would take a lot more that what I paid to get it out of my hands. Thanks for the info. Lanny
    Shane Dastrup Santa Clara, Utah May 1, 2013 at 17:09
    Things are looking up for all collector cars especially my favorite The Mustang!!
    Burt Harwood Longview, WA May 1, 2013 at 17:55
    Because the '65 & '66 Mustang GT's are essentially identical, would you not include the 66's as well as the 65's?
    Bob Shaw Phoenix, AZ May 1, 2013 at 21:43
    I have a 1971 Mustang convertible that is in superb condition, having red exterior with Mach 1 Argent striping, ram air hood, front and rear scoops, new Black pinpoint vinyl top, mag 500 wheels, new tires, original perfect interior, center console, FM/AM radio, pw/ps, 302 engine with 42,000 original miles. Many times show winner and featured in numbers national magazines. Can you give me some idea of its current value? Car was repainted, however, VIN indicates that the original prior owner selected a color not typical of the 1971 model. Needless-to-say, the VIN code is Special Order thus effectively the car can be shown as painted with no points lost. The current paint actually was a Mid Red from another Ford production car. Any Ideas on what the car might be worth at auction? rgs
    John Hopkins Texas May 2, 2013 at 15:56
    Seems to me like the early C-4 Corvettes are holding on to their value. Plan to keep mine for a while.
    Ken Jordan Cleveland, OH May 2, 2013 at 06:30
    I have a 1973 Volvo ES Sport Wagon that has 40,000 miles. It is not in running condition. What is a price range that I should that I should price this vehicle?
    glenn grant Marysville May 2, 2013 at 10:15
    1968 mustang fastback gt
    Chris Peterson Michigan May 2, 2013 at 10:46
    Brian can you help me understand what are the qualifications for an "Affordable Classic". The reason I ask is I have a 68 Firebird Convertible and have recently thought about selling it and am trying to determine a price. Any thoughts and or information you have I would appreciate. Thank you.
    Lee Houston May 2, 2013 at 12:28
    @Chris - It depends on the details, but I sold my 69 Firebird convertible last year at the Mecum Houston auction and it went for $25.5k. It was a good looking, well restored 350 car that had been converted to a 400 with all the "correct" parts by a prior owner.
    Gonz Florida May 3, 2013 at 13:25
    WOW...!!!! The TR6 one of the 2 looser. I can't believe it , This is a beautiful car a real bargain now. I love mine I will not sell it for less than $25,000.00 A pristine car
    James Spaulding United States May 3, 2013 at 02:35
    I am redoing a 1981 Pontiac Bonneville to factory standards as a memorial to my murdered daughter. I have a 1970 Chevrolet Impala convertible in show condition as well, and my wife will be taking the Pontiac to shows with me and we hope to use it to urge people to adopt rescue animals,and support their local rescues which was a cause our daughter loved and supported in every way she could . I hope the car will appreciate in value but we will always keep it in the family, although she never got to drive it we see it as HER car. We keep it fully insured and garaged to keep it in mint condition and it was just freshly painted. Well all keep safe and know we will see you at the shows.
    Bob Cupery so. Calif. May 3, 2013 at 17:27
    have a 64 black on black on black Pontiac GTO convertible 389 and 4 speed Pictured 6 times in table book titled Pontiacs Great One GTO... Any Idea what I should ask for it? All original # matching
    Lou Fisette Oregon May 3, 2013 at 17:57
    Whats my 69 Olds Cutlass Supreme 2 door hardtop coupe worth
    Bruce Harris Highland Park, IL May 4, 2013 at 12:59
    I thought TR6's were also gaining value. Especially ones in good or original condition.
    dean marshall michigan May 6, 2013 at 18:32
    This figures and is the story of my life. Just sold my 1971 Nova SS. I'm sure it will be $50K in no time at all.
    dale mechling sc May 8, 2013 at 10:52
    I might be interested in your'68 firebird---tell me about it.i'm also interested in finding a '49 buick 2dr sedanette (fastback)
    Jim Foster Ohio May 16, 2013 at 07:40
    Good news concerning my 67 big block fastback mustang.
    Jerry Pace Phoenix, AZ 85331 May 18, 2013 at 14:12
    I have a 1966 Chevy Malibu 327ci/270 hp.It has all the SS amenities bucket seats console sport wheels, etc. etc. I also have a vinyl top. I made some upgrades, but kept all the original parts. I'm only the 3rd owner, the car has 45,000 original miles.It has new paint & new vinyl top.What do you think it's worth.
    David Rogula Oregon, Illinois July 7, 2013 at 13:25
    I'm interested in finding a vintage 1962-1972 Volkswagon Karmann Ghia and was curious about the price range.