16 April 2013

5,661 Miles in a Porsche 911: The Search

Editor’s Note: Yoav Gilad is Editor in Chief at [keep it] Wide Open, a website dedicated to bringing the thrill and romance of cars to the enthusiast. Yoav recently undertook a cross-country journey in a Porsche 911 to celebrate the model’s 50th year. This is the first story in a three-part series documenting the adventure.

After much consideration and discussion Wide Open concluded that the only appropriate car for our forthcoming Amelia Island Concours cross-country run was a Porsche 911. The only concerns were the car’s mechanical condition and the ability to do roughly 6,000 miles in a week and a half.

After several false starts and severely inadequate contenders, I ran into my friend, car-guy Nicolai Iuul of Ammo Films, who recommended we speak with local Porsche mechanic, William Benoit. “William’s a lovely guy. If anyone can find you a car, it’s him.” Wide Open visited William’s small, two-stall shop in a Venice, Calif., alley the following day and he reluctantly agreed to help, in spite of the fact that he thought the compromises between budget and mechanical requirements were too great.

The next morning, at approximately 8:30 a.m. the phone rang, and Mr. Benoit was on the other end: “I think I may have found you a car, but it won’t be around till next Saturday.” He went on to give some specifics and we agreed to meet.

Finally, the day of our meeting arrived and as I rounded the corner to the alley I saw William speaking to a youngish brown-haired guy. More importantly, I saw the silver tail of a 911 peeking out from behind William’s Cadillac. Introductions were made and the owner, Rob, spent some time highlighting certain merits and describing his experiences with the old Porsche. We opened the engine cover and it was clean (for a 35-year-old car). I glanced quickly underneath the car and was relieved to see no puddle of oil.

It was finally time for the drive and Rob took the first turn. He handled the car gently and told me he’d owned it for about 10 years. He was the ideal former owner, and I wished all the previous owners had been this easy on the car. I don’t think he revved the engine over 3500 RPM once. Regardless, his shifting seemed labored and deliberate; I hoped that was lack of experience.

When it was finally my turn, I discovered that it wasn’t Rob’s fault. The shifter was incredibly notchy. You had to be simultaneously gentle and forceful — gentle to move the shifter deftly and forceful to engage the gear. But the 911 was compliant and made the right sounds. We drove around neighborhoods for about five minutes and the brakes were solid. I decided to push a bit and I swung it right through an uncontrolled intersection. It held the turn and the unassisted steering was direct and communicative.

The power, while certainly not excessive, was sufficient and it was clear that this little Porsche was meant to be pushed. It bogged a bit under 2000 RPM and seemed to find its rhythm above 3000RPM. I asked Rob if we could take it on the highway and he could probably tell that I was enjoying myself. What car enthusiast wouldn’t be enjoying themselves? Here was a car with Go Kart-like steering, great brakes and good throttle response.

We got on the 90 and I pushed the 911 over the speed limit. It was solid and felt like it could continue easily to some very illegal top speeds. Toward the end of the 90, I lifted off the gas pedal slightly to see if the rear would get squirrely but it stayed planted through the turn. I was sold. Reliability was an issue, but at the end of the day, “even a new car can break down,” William, the mechanic, lectured me, his blue eyes unblinking, “there are no guarantees.”

I’d have to put my faith in the fact that this car was powered by 1930s technology and that the German engineers had refined it over the preceding 40 years. The compression numbers were consistent and acceptable and all that was left was to negotiate and sign. After a very brief negotiation Rob and I shook hands. Then I drove it home.

I wanted to get a feel for the Porsche and get it used to moving again over large distances since it had been parked for the majority of the last four years. The following day we fired up the flat-six engine, let her warm up and headed for Topanga. The sky was clear and so were the freeways.

I arrived  in near-record time and quickly headed for coffee to break the cold of the morning, met up with friends and showed off the new/old Porsche. Someone offered to buy it on the spot, but we were set on Amelia Island.

The following day we drove out to Anaheim for dinner with my parents. I was very surprised that my dad was really taken by the 911. He’s not a car guy and usually responds with a sarcastic, “that’s delightful,” when I share some tidbit of car trivia. But he genuinely seemed to enjoy some of the Porsche’s eccentricities and the overall presence of the car. Cool!

The final shakedown was a run to Palm Springs a couple of days later. The car arrived in the oasis without a whimper and the oil temperature never topped 190 degrees. It ran like a champ! When power was needed to pass on the freeway, there were always ample reserves. When the brakes were suddenly checked, they slowed the car without drama. I’d still have to drive back to Los Angeles, but we were “go for launch.”

Everything was ready for the journey: the car was checked out, running well and my co-driver, Anthony Cioffi a friend who I went to Art Center College of Design with,  was all set. I couldn’t wait to execute this plan, which had been hatched a couple of months earlier.

We’d already received our press passes for the Amelia Island Concours, which was honoring both the Porsche 911 and the Ford GT40. We love the GT40 and would do just about anything to drive one cross-country. Unfortunately, our insurance (and our budget) wouldn’t quite allow it. So, we decided to seek out a decent 911, to honor the marque as well. So Happy 50th, 911!

stu Iowa/Arizona April 17, 2013 at 20:04
    Reminds me of a trip my dad and took back in the 80's bringing a new to me 356 cab back to Iowa from Newport Beach. A little worried taking an old car I didn't know half way across the country, but I had a big bag full of spare parts. Other than nearly driving into a tornado in Kansas, we made it back with no major issues! And we had the top down for most of Kansas, until the badk weather mentioned above...
    Gail SAN DIEGO CA April 17, 2013 at 20:11
    ANYONE ELSE WANT TO BUY A 911S - 1975 SILVER ANNIVERSARY MODEL.
    Haig Haleblian midweat April 17, 2013 at 22:02
    Great bullet proof road trip ride. You picked the best marque.
    Frank Aukofer Falls Church, VA April 18, 2013 at 13:18
    How can Hagerty run a piece like this and not have the author tell us anything about the car? Any enthusiast would want to know the model, year and specifications. Yet there's nothing in this mostly uninteresting article except that it happens to be a 911 that is 35 years old, which would make it a 1978. But we're not told. If you're doing a 50th anniversary story, how about driving a 1963 model? Oh, except for the fact that the first 911 sold in the U.S. was a 1965 model.
    Philip Douse Grand Rapids, MI April 18, 2013 at 10:12
    Yoav, Looking forward to hearing of your travels. I'm in the market for a fun car, and an older (70's, early 80's) 911 is in my sights. Please include me if possible on your update list. Thanks so much. Philip Douse
    al zim Ft. Worth Texas April 18, 2013 at 10:33
    Unbelievable! We have not seen a running 2.7 911 in years and you undertook a 6K drive in one. Have they replaced the engine with a 3.0. We have advised potential owners of SC and Carrera (to 1989) cars that they should expect to spend three to 7 thousand dollars on their car to make them correct and safe. Especially in the brake system. You have a 36 yer old car that probably never had and major brake service. If you are lucky and have the aluminum case on the transmission available in the latter part of the 1977 model year you will be ahead.
    Walter Schedler United States April 18, 2013 at 10:51
    Great start of the story. I can't wait to read more. I also have a 1977 - a gold Targa, that I restored about 12 years ago. It has set in my garage, here in California, for the last 4 years. The only trips it has had are every two years to be smog tested. That day is always a great day. Up early and uncover the car. Then start it and back out of the garage. An easy run through town and then out to highway 5. A blast up the highway for 100 miles and then back via some side roads, top off, wind in my hair, to arrive just in time for my smog appointment. So far it has passed each time. I uncovered her yesterday, to show a friend. She seemed to be begging me for another run. I think its time. Walt Schedler
    jim houston boise, idaho April 19, 2013 at 13:15
    can't wait for "the rest of the story"
    Paul W Wenninger United States April 19, 2013 at 14:11
    After five years in Florida, I was changing jobs and in 2010, my wife and I decided to drive back from Florida to our home in Albuquerque, NM. She drove her ten year old T-Bird and I my '73, 911-T. I drove it every day anyway so why not take a road trip? Check it out mechanically? Yes, I did change the oil - and then took off. Four days at 70 mph, I got just shy of 30 mpg and had a very pleasant trip. At 65 years of age, it was actually very comfortable for these old bones. Coast to coast? What's the big deal? I'd leave tomorrow in my '73. We both expect to put on more miles.
    howard fond minden,nevada April 21, 2013 at 04:10
    hi I made a round trip from the san Fernando valley to Richmond, Virginia and back six months later in a 1956 Porsche speedster. no interstates. THIS WAS DONE IN 1957.
    DickRoche No. Hollywood. ca April 22, 2013 at 01:45
    This will be a neat story , Prepared properly, the ol 911 should do well, if driven smartly! traffic today runs much faster than forty years ago, so pacing the Porsche at a comfortable speed and staying out of the way ....well that is the need when on the road in a vintage ride. What fun. Looking forward ............!6
    Yoav Gilad United States May 15, 2013 at 18:09
    Thanks for all the kind comments! I still haven't sold the car, but am open to offers... for those who requested the full, un-edited story, go here: www.KeepItWideOpen.com/amelia.html Thanks again!
    patrick FRANCE June 11, 2014 at 02:02
    if you have the adress for this car, i want buying at the new owner , (i have make bid on ebay on year 2013) but i desired this car. thanks