5 July 2011

Threatened, Endangered and Extinct Cars: Summer 2011 update

The journal Nature made headlines recently, publishing a study showing that species extinction rates have likely been overestimated. Of course, this got us thinking about our own “Threatened, Endangered and Extinct” list, which hasn’t been revised since last year. So we crunched the numbers again and found that, indeed, some of our estimates have proven exaggerated, as well.

We’re happy to report that we can remove five vehicles from our list: 1971-1974 BMW Bavaria, 1971-1976 Mercury Capri, 1971-1977 Toyota Celica, 1975-1980 Chevrolet Monza and 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT. All can be found in sufficient supply that Hagerty now insures more than 25 examples of each.

But like the aforementioned researchers – who stressed that their work doesn’t negate the seriousness of environmental threats to biodiversity – we’re still concerned with the potential disappearance of a generation of automotive history. So we’re adding another five vehicles to our list, and encouraging car enthusiasts to do what they can to promote conservation.

1984 Plymouth Voyager (Dodge Caravan)

If you’re a Generation X’er, there’s a good chance you learned to drive behind the wheel of a minivan. Introduced in 1983, Chrysler’s original was powered by a carbureted 2.2-liter four-cylinder engine making just 96 horsepower, mated to a standard 5-speed manual driving the front wheels – just like in a K-Car. The third row was optional rather than ubiquitous, and the sliding side door was singular in both senses. Rear-seat entertainment system options included reading, Auto Bingo, and looking out the window. Clearly a case of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts, Chrysler’s reinvention of the station wagon would relegate that category to “dead” in the eyes of all non-German carmakers within a decade. Despite its significance and first-year sales total topping 209,000, we’re not sure if a single collector-grade example exists outside of Chrysler’s own collection.

Complete Hagerty Threatened, Endangered and Extinct List

• 1979-1980 Plymouth Fire Arrow
• 1974 Oldsmobile Toronado

Extinct: Hagerty insures no examples

• 1983-1986 Isuzu Impulse
• 1986-1987 Renault/AMC GTA
• 1978-1980 Oldsmobile Starfire Firenza
 1984 Plymouth Voyager (Dodge Caravan)

Status: Extinct

1978-1980 Oldsmobile Starfire Firenza

In many ways, what this Chevrolet Vega derivative (and Monza sibling) reveals about GM’s approach to nomenclature says more about the company than the product itself. The Starfire Firenza holds the dubious distinction of both tarnishing the good name of a car that came before it – the early 1960s Olds Starfire that begat the Delta 88 – while at the same time having its own image sullied by a car that came later. The Starfire Firenza was actually a pretty neat 2+2 once you ticked off all the option packages on the base Starfire, a far cry from the rebadged Chevrolet Cavalier that would get the Firenza moniker in 1982. While the Starfire Firenza is undoubtedly a “Decal GT,” it did offer V-8 power in a reasonably-sporty-for-the-time rear-drive platform. In fact, GM would use its suspension design in the third-generation Chevy Camaro. With integrated front and rear spoilers, flared wheel wells, and alloys, a Starfire Firenza was unquestionably the best-looking car you could find in a circa-1980 Oldsmobile dealer’s land of landau.

Status: Extinct

1986-1987 Renault/AMC GTA

We’ve already placed the Renault/AMC Alliance convertible on our Endangered list, but its limited production and high(er) performance sibling, the GTA, deserves its own special recognition. Available in both two-door sedan and convertible body styles, you could think of the GTA as American Motors’ answer to the first BMW M3 – though that would be ridiculous. While the GTA’s 2-liter, fuel-injected four-cylinder was a huge upgrade over the 1.4-liter and 1.7-liter engines in standard Alliances, it still offered just 95 horsepower – about half that of the M3. At least the GTA had a five-speed manual tranny, even if it was wrong-wheel drive. Front-drive or not, with Ronal alloy wheels and low-profile 15-inch wheels, plus an upgraded suspension, the GTA did earn some praise for its handling.

Status: Extinct

1974 Oldsmobile Toronado

When the front-wheel-drive Toronado debuted in 1966, it represented a high point for the GM division that prided itself on innovation. But with the introduction of a second generation for 1971, the Toro became just another GM luxury barge in the fashion of its Cadillac Eldorado cousin. Yet even in the era of bloated behemoths, with high compression ratios and impressive horsepower numbers on the wane, a few interesting things happened as the world’s largest carmaker scrambled to meet ever-more-stringent emissions and safety regulations. In 1974 GM introduced factory airbags on the Toronado, an option that makes for a much more interesting collector car than the standard 455-cubic-inch V-8 rated at just 250 horsepower. The “Air Cushion Restraint System,” as it was called, included front driver and passenger airbags, and a padded knee bolster that necessitated a slightly different dashboard. Toronados with the ACRS can be easily identified by their padded steering wheels – foreshadowing the second coming of the airbag in the early 1990s.

Status: Endangered

1979-1980 Plymouth Fire Arrow

With most of the sporty, “special edition” cars of the late 1970s offering little more than fancy decals and alloy wheels, this was one that actually packed some punch. The Fire Arrow borrowed the big 2.6-liter four-cylinder of the Plymouth Sapporo, enough to propel it to a 17.8-second quarter-mile for Car and Driver. With disc brakes all around and a 5-speed manual transmission, Plymouth dealers had a veritable Mustang-fighter in this Japanese-sourced compact. A product of Chrysler’s partnership with Mitsubishi, the Arrow and Sapporo were Americanized versions of the Lancer and Galant. As such, they never got the love they deserved back in the day, and nobody seems to be collecting them now.

Status: Endangered

Do you dispute one of the cars on our list, or do you have one to add? Leave your comments below.

Dabidoh Sambone Texas January 23, 2012 at 15:52
    A lot of the comments miss the point - do you REALLY think a Spitfire is rare? They're everywhere at the Brit shows. And Pacers? AMC Eagles? I still see them, usually driven by proud connoisseurs of irony, cognizant of the significance of their ride. The thrust of this article is that some cars formerly ubiquitous and omnipresent have vanished - because they offered little to no intrinsic interest beyond their utility as point A to B transportation - at least back in the day. This fascinates me - I can't remember the last time I saw a Renault Fuego on the road, but once upon a time they were common. The Subaru XT6 is another I miss. I'd rock a Toyota Stout or a Honda N600 given the opportunity and when I was a kid in SoCal they were still going strong. Where's the first three gens of the Dodge Colt, any 1st gen Preludes or even a Datsun Honey Bee? Gone. Crushed & sold to China as scrap steel. The only happy ending to this story will be when all the Pontiac Sunfires have been smooshed and reborn as something more useful like lawn darts, but that's just wishful thinking.
    David Naperville, IL July 7, 2011 at 08:28
    How about the 1976 Chevy Caprice Wagon? Does hagerty insure alot of these? Seems like you would have this on the endangered list.
    Heath pospect, PA July 11, 2011 at 19:39
    85 Mazda GLC, 69 1/2 to 77 maverick/comit, mustang II,
    Joshua Lakeland, Florida July 11, 2011 at 20:23
    I would add AMC Eagle to the list, its hard to find any examples of these.
    Joni There’s nohtnig like the relief of finding what you’re looking for. July 12, 2011 at 19:45
    There’s nohtnig like the relief of finding what you’re looking for.
    Jenaya I was looking everywhere and this popped up like ntoihng! July 14, 2011 at 03:38
    I was looking everywhere and this popped up like ntoihng!
    Lillah Hey, that post laeevs me feeling foolish. Kudos to you! July 15, 2011 at 20:25
    Hey, that post laeevs me feeling foolish. Kudos to you!
    CRAIG GESKE minneapolis July 18, 2011 at 15:44
    rare: BUICK roadhawk only 18 are known to exist period. Out of 1504 built 79-80, only 18 are documented to exist. I Drive one. have 79 and is insured at Hagerty, Probably only one you insure .
    Kelly Wisconsin July 18, 2011 at 15:44
    1986 Mustang SVO
    Chris Wayne, MI July 18, 2011 at 15:45
    How about my 1968 Mercury Montego MX. I haven't found another one for sale anywhere on the web! Thankfully it's an upgraded Torino so I can borrow a lot of parts. Specialty trim is tough though!
    Chris Wayne, MI July 18, 2011 at 15:45
    Kelly Wisconsin July 18, 2011 at 15:45
    1986 Mustang SVO
    Craig Seman Charlotte NC July 18, 2011 at 15:46
    1981 Chrysler Imperial FS
    Justin San Antonio, TX July 18, 2011 at 15:46
    I think a car that should be added is the Trabant, well Trabant anything. I have a 1972 Trabant 601S. I know of maybe 30 others here in the US. This was a car that over 3.3 Million were made in the former DDR (East Germany) It is a communist car, with minimal examples in the US. Furthermore, even in Europe the car is very endangered. At the fall of the Berlin wall, there were 3.3 Million of these. Last statistics report there to be about 50,000 left in Europe, and recently a law passed that made the cars illegal to drive in a lot of cities, which will make the numbers even less. This car is a politically and historically significant vehicle.
    Craig Seman Charlotte NC July 18, 2011 at 15:46
    1981 Chrysler Imperial FS
    Chris Wayne, MI July 18, 2011 at 15:47
    Craig Seman Charlotte NC July 18, 2011 at 15:49
    1981 Chrysler Imperial FS
    James Plymouth,WI July 18, 2011 at 15:49
    HowabouttheNSUWankelSpyder
    Kerry Indain Lake, Ohio July 18, 2011 at 15:49
    '33 Hudson Essex Terraplane 8 is also a rare bird!
    Jim NJ July 18, 2011 at 15:50
    What about the Pacer X?
    MatthewN.Klunis Sebastopol,Ca. July 18, 2011 at 15:54
    What...is..the..status..of..1937..GMC..truck..?
    Bill Payne Kansas July 18, 2011 at 15:55
    I have a 1983 AMC Eagle. It is one of our 4WD "rescue" cars!
    Steve Burnham Lake Orion, Michigan July 18, 2011 at 15:58
    Already a limited production run of 1377 total, The 1977 the Pontiac Can-Am, should make the endangered list. In 2007 at the Pontiac Nationals in Norwalk Ohio, only 14 examples were present for the 30 year reunion.
    Jim Cleveland, OH July 18, 2011 at 15:59
    Would anyone actually want an 84 Voyager as a collector car? They were terrible vehicles that were eager to decintegrate. No wonder the only good example is still owned by Chrysler!
    Dave Tacoma, Washington July 18, 2011 at 15:59
    Some things are better left forgotten.....
    matt ogden ut July 18, 2011 at 16:00
    what about 1965 mercury montclair in mint condition?
    steve Ann Arbor, MI July 18, 2011 at 16:00
    I think you are correct about the Fire Arrow. I road-race a base model (1600cc engine) Arrow and parts are very hard to find. I only know of one or two Fire Arrows still in existence. Sincerely hope you know of more. I need to get the suspension reassembled for my Arrow so I can race it AND so I can take pictures and get it insured with YOU!
    Jeffrey Chilton United States July 18, 2011 at 16:06
    What about the 1965 Ford Ranchero Deluxe, with factory A/C, and bucket seats. Only 990 were made that year and I hardly ever see any on the road. Wonder how many you have insured.
    marty Florida July 18, 2011 at 16:15
    What about adding my 82 Lancia Zagato. How many does Hagerty insure? Or how many are titled in the USA?
    Bill Clay New Haven, CT July 18, 2011 at 16:18
    Wow, I feel very privileged... I drove Renault/AMC GTA in high school, and a college apartment mate had an Isuzu Impulse (with the sporty notch-back), and I used to go to a self-service auto yard that had a Starfire Firenza that I used to hit with a hammer whenever I walked by! Joshua - come up to New England sometime. You will find a few Eagles still on the road!
    Bill Clay New Haven, CT July 18, 2011 at 16:18
    John Goldman 18436 July 18, 2011 at 16:20
    How many 1961 Studebaker V8 Regal HT and 1963 Avanti does Hagerty insure?
    Kevin Pfaff Wisconsin July 18, 2011 at 16:24
    I would like to add the 1961 Rambler Classic with the aluminum 6! Impossible to get head gaskets. I think I got the last three in the world.
    Pat Palmdale, CA July 18, 2011 at 16:28
    How about the 1983-84 Mercury Capri RS Turbo? There can't be many of those left anymore.
    Rodger Holland MI July 18, 2011 at 16:34
    late 60's olds 442's
    Art Wegweiser Allison Park, PA July 18, 2011 at 16:39
    This list is stilly. If no more exist, then the car is extinct by definition (although that has been know to change via some startling "barn" finds.) If it is no longer in production it can be nothing but threatened or endangered because when the last are gone that species is gone.Would like to see a Packard Hawk somewhere here.
    Art Wegweiser Allison Park, PA July 18, 2011 at 16:38
    Art Wegweiser Allison Park, PA July 18, 2011 at 16:39
    Art Wegweiser Allison Park, PA July 18, 2011 at 16:39
    dan Philadelphia Pa July 18, 2011 at 16:43
    How about the Renault R-15 & R17 sport coupes of the 1970's. Are there any insured by hagerty?
    Rick C. SC July 18, 2011 at 16:46
    Mark West Palm Beach FL July 18, 2011 at 16:47
    What about the AMC Pacer?
    Art S. New England July 18, 2011 at 16:51
    Back in 2007 Volvo celebrated their 80th birthday. They wanted to find an example of each car that was sold here in the USA. Despite a major marketing effort, they were unable to find a single example of the 140-series station wagon (145) a car that at one time was practically everywhere here in New England! Back in the 1970s and 80s my family owned 4 of them - all ended up victims of the dreaded tin-worm....
    Marvin Cumming, GA July 18, 2011 at 16:53
    How many 1966 Mercedes 230 do you insure?
    Art S. New England July 18, 2011 at 16:57
    Ron Ensweiler Dallas, TX July 18, 2011 at 16:57
    How about 1955 Chevrolet Corvette with 3 speed manual?
    Ron Ensweiler Dallas, TX July 18, 2011 at 16:58
    How about 1955 Chevrolet Corvette with 3 speed manual?
    Joe Maryland July 18, 2011 at 17:06
    Do you insure any 1963 Chevy II Super Sport Convertibles? That was my first new car a long time ago. Traded it for a '67 VW Beetle Convertible! Wish I still had both - in addition to the '47 Buick Super convert that I also owned!
    Joe Maryland July 18, 2011 at 17:06
    Richard Lancourt Hollis, NH July 18, 2011 at 17:09
    Almost bought a Imperial FS in 81 but couldn't come to terms with the dealer, it would be nice to see another one being a big Sinatra fan.
    Rick Loar Phoenix AZ July 18, 2011 at 17:12
    How about a 66 mercury Cyclone GT Convertible. Mine is insured there
    Alex S. Guerneville, CA July 18, 2011 at 17:13
    Both my 1963 VW bus & my 1973 VW thing, which were only imported to the US in 1973 & 1974. I also have a 1967 Bug One family car
    Alex S. Guerneville, CA July 18, 2011 at 17:13
    Ralph Marontate Southfield, MI 48033 July 18, 2011 at 17:16
    Do you forget about Nash Cars. I have a 1940, 1948 Nash 600. and a 1948 Nash Ambassador. The Nash Club shows about 89,000 1940 Nash cars were manufactured but only about 100 survive in decent condition. CW Nash made some great cars for over 40 years but they seldom are recognized as often as the Hudson and Studebaker. Yet Nash merged with Hudson in 1954 into AMC and continued making Nash cars until 1957, while Packard, Willys, and Studebaker went out of business.
    Tom Slaymaker Shawnee KS July 18, 2011 at 17:24
    Could you take a quick survey in your computer system and determine the number of Daimler SP250s you insure and the approximate insured values of those cars? I have two and watch the US and Foreign Auction results, but there are so few sold at auction, that is of little value. It would help me, as well as owners of extinct/collector vehicles, determine if we are keeping up with Replacement Values to get some help from you, the Insurer.Thanks, Tom In Kansas
    Steve NJ July 18, 2011 at 17:25
    I just saw a Marlin Rambler for the first time a month ago, and where oh where is there a pesky Mercuy Mercur XR4TI ?
    Ken USA July 18, 2011 at 17:29
    Having actively tracked the Starfire /Firenza for many years, I am aware of about a dozen 78-80 Firenzas out there. However, only 2-3 of them are currently in very nice condition and wearing their original paint schemes too. See this link: http://monza.homestead.com/starpics.html
    Rich Yohe Cuyahoga Falls Ohio July 18, 2011 at 17:32
    I would have to weigh in on the comment of the Pontiac Can Am being added. These are getting very rare and hard to find, except for the fact that I own one. They are true American greats and deserve special recognition. I would also suggest the Bricklin and the DeLorean.
    Bud Blasingame Concord, CA July 18, 2011 at 17:38
    How about 1963 Buick Electra 225 two door hard tops out there. I have one and have never seen another.
    Bob Francis Casper, Wy. July 18, 2011 at 17:41
    Saw a Firenza driving down the street here in Casper just today. Looked like a rag, but when I saw it I thought when was the last time I`ve seen one of those?
    JOHN DOLLARHIDE MESQUITE, TX July 18, 2011 at 17:41
    NICE TO BE REMINDED OF ALL THE OLD CARS OF THE PAST. HOPEFULLY THE 1950-1952 CHEVY BEL AIRE 2 DOOR HARDTOPS WILL NEVER GO AWAY.
    Steve Mahac China, Michigan July 18, 2011 at 17:43
    How many Maserati 3500GT's are insured by Hagerty? What is the most insured model car covered by Hagerty?
    Brandon Emanuel Dallas, TX July 18, 2011 at 17:44
    The 1990 VW Corrado G60 is quickly only showing up in junk yards. Clean, stock versions are in very short supply!
    Ron Benton Butte, Montana 59701 July 18, 2011 at 17:46
    How endangered is a 1967 Mercury Monterey S55? About 569 were made. PLEASE LET ME KNOW.
    Ron Benton Butte, Montana 59701 July 18, 2011 at 17:47
    Jim Phoenix July 18, 2011 at 17:47
    Most of those are on your list because very few would be worth insuring! Especially the Voyager Mini-van!
    Bill Arlt Los Gatos, CA July 18, 2011 at 17:55
    How about the 1976 Porsche 912e. I have 140,000 miles on it & it still runs great. Needs some restoration tho as the Silver paint is oxidizing an the headliner needs to be replaced. Dashboard is pristine and seats are ok.
    Craig Seman Charlotte NC July 18, 2011 at 18:03
    1981 Chrysler Imperial FS
    George Ft. Lauderdale, FL July 18, 2011 at 18:05
    1965 -1968 Rambler Marlin?
    Art Galvan Los Angeles July 18, 2011 at 18:11
    Great idea it would be interesting to see what hagerty insures most. I would love to see where my 1985 six door cadillac ranks on the list of rare and endangered cars.
    Bob Paulson California July 18, 2011 at 18:15
    I have a 1969 Ford Ranchero Rio Grande. There was only a little over 400 built and only in 1969. I have never seen another one at any rod festival or car show.
    Greg Mohr Reno July 18, 2011 at 18:15
    78 Ford LTD?
    Sara Detroit July 18, 2011 at 18:20
    Aussie Mercury Capris, 1991 - 1994. I don't see many of these cars at all. Less than 4000 94 Capris made total, less than 400 XR2 Turbos as well as being last production year. I have both 1991 & 1994. Fun litte cars!
    Laurence Rudne Colchester CT July 18, 2011 at 18:24
    How about a 58 Plymouth Fury, with the 350 Golden Commando. I haven't seen one listed anywhere for years
    R. Kik Detroit, MI July 18, 2011 at 18:25
    I'm surprised the Zastava Yugo, Especially the Cabrio, is not somewhere on here. While they do pop up out of the interzone once in a great while, Finding one in collectors condition is very difficult.
    R. Kik Detroit, MI July 18, 2011 at 18:25
    mc Georgia July 18, 2011 at 18:29
    Have a 1977 GMC Sprint. This was built to give GMC a muscle car. Very rare. Hagerty insures it. Extinct?
    Sean Arlington, TX July 18, 2011 at 18:31
    Of the 5 new listings only the Oldsobile deserves to be saved. The Caravan's still on the road all have just liability through standard insurers
    Joel York Yarmouth, Maine July 18, 2011 at 18:31
    Love the video on the Lotus trip. I had a Lotus Europa S2 with the Black Emblem. The car would get 40+ MPG @ 90 MPH Cruise! The trick was to get it to run for 40 consecutive miles. 1.6L Renault IL4. Solex dbl choke carbs. This was the very worst car in snow ever. in 1/2" of soft fresh snow on level ground it would not but spin the tires. I now drive a 1984 Mercedes Benz 300D Turbo. I run the car on bio-diesel in the warmer months. In winter this 1 wheel drive (to the wheel with the least grip) is not reassuring but it is built like a tank and is incredibly comfortable. I love the car, her name is TK (sounds like a "tea kettle" boiling at idle).
    Joel York Yarmouth, Maine July 18, 2011 at 18:33
    Charles New York July 18, 2011 at 18:44
    Survival of the strongest, some should be extinct .
    Norm S California July 18, 2011 at 19:02
    Good luck finding any early 50's-60's Renault products. They used to rust out as new cars in the dealer's showrooms!
    Ken Moorhead canton,ohio July 18, 2011 at 19:03
    Hey! You FORGOT the wonderful Triumph Spitfires They were made mostly for the USA market & a most wonderful seat of the pants ride you will ever have.I have a beautiful 1979 & its a GREAT little road character.
    Roger Dawson Ft. Lauderdale FL July 18, 2011 at 19:13
    I want my 1961 Pontic Ventura back
    Scott St Pete Fl July 18, 2011 at 19:16
    VW THING, Notch Back, Square and Fast Back
    Scott St Pete Fl July 18, 2011 at 19:17
    VW THING, Notch Back, Square and Fast Back
    Scott St Pete Fl July 18, 2011 at 19:25
    VW THING, Notch Back, Square and Fast Back
    Scott St Pete Fl July 18, 2011 at 19:25
    VW THING, Notch Back, Square and Fast Back
    David Spokane WA July 18, 2011 at 19:28
    What about the 1975 BRICKLIN? How many are insured through Hagerty?
    Kerry Frampton Pleasant Grove, Utah July 18, 2011 at 19:33
    How many 1966 (first year) Chevrolet Caprice do you insure?? Besides mine of course.
    VINNY AIELLO STATEN ISLAND NEW YORK July 18, 2011 at 19:34
    I HAVE A 71 NOVA SS WHICH IS GETTING REAL HARD TO FIND, IWITH ALL ORIGINAL SHEET METAL.AND NUMBERS MATCHING.
    henry spartanburg, s.c. July 18, 2011 at 19:38
    how about the gremlin i have a 1977
    rich harris florida July 18, 2011 at 19:43
    Lincoln mark v11 diesel have only seen 1 ever I even think they offered a manual as an option
    Daniel Mycio Northampton, PA July 18, 2011 at 19:43
    I am curious if there are any remaining cars out there like my first car. I had an 83 Dodge Challenger (built by Mitsubishi) and sold as either the Challenger or the Plymouth Sapporo. I had to sell mine due to the difficulty finding parts in 92. I have looked on the net but have not seen one of these cars anywhere for years.
    RICHARD ARBOGAST oakdale pa July 18, 2011 at 19:44
    How about a 1981 all original Jeep Scrambler CJ 8 with 50,000 miles that i.ve owned since new
    Ken Jenkins New Jersey July 18, 2011 at 19:46
    How about the 70-71 Ford Pinto? They were all over the place, and now I never see any. I had a 1971 in our family for at almost 10 yrs.
    Marcia Bangor, Pennsylvania July 18, 2011 at 19:51
    How about a 1970 Volvo 142 or an 83 Ford Crown Vic 2 door sedan?
    Gary Platz Colonial Heights, VA July 18, 2011 at 20:07
    We have two near extinction vehicles. a 1984 Dodge Rampage and a 1980 Chrysler Cordoba with a slant six.
    DALE STANTEN Swampscott, MA July 18, 2011 at 20:13
    1947 olds coupe with 69 Pontiac Engine and Tranny 6
    Mike Oberlin Baltimore, MD July 18, 2011 at 20:16
    I have been trying for about three years to have Hagerty insure my 89 Chrysler Conquest. But no luck. Anyone else backing me up?
    Mike Oberlin Baltimore, MD July 18, 2011 at 20:16
    michael freischel st. paul, MN July 18, 2011 at 20:23
    how many 1970 chrysler hurst 300
    Kevin M. Drury NY July 18, 2011 at 20:26
    I had a 1984 Voyager 5 speed which would have been rarer still. I used it primarily for work but also used it for my weekend outings taking my young son to the park. It had only 2 rows of seats and we used to picnic in the back with the tailgate up in the warm weather and down in the winter. My son is grown up and the van is long gone but If I still had the van I would surely have it insured by Hagerty.
    Kevin M. Drury NY July 18, 2011 at 20:26
    Steven Dorris Lake Orion, MI July 18, 2011 at 20:28
    Two Pontiac models come to mind, the 1990 LeMans GSE, and the very rare 1990 STE with all wheel drive. The GSE had all of the proper suspension pieces,and the non-turbo version of the 2.0 liter OHC engine, and the AWD STE had a very unique powertrain.
    Mike Oberlin Baltimore, MD July 18, 2011 at 20:32
    Mark Douglass Westland, Michigan July 18, 2011 at 20:33
    I read you list, the one that should be listed is a 1965 AMC American 440 convertible. I have one with only 57,863 miles on it. You can get parts for all the other cars, like FORD, CHEV., MOPAR, and MUSTANG, PONTIAC, but try and find parts for any AMC stuff, without paying the highest price, or no parts at all!!!!!
    Linda Anglebrandt Marysville, Mi July 18, 2011 at 20:35
    I think the 1965 Chevy Impala 4 door Hardtop should be on that list, can't buy parts for it, everything is 2 door parts!
    Dennis 91324 July 18, 2011 at 20:35
    How about 1973 Cadillac Eldorado Indy Pacecar Replicar, newly restored, only 413 were made for sale?
    tr3guy Bloomington, Indiana July 18, 2011 at 20:58
    How about the Opel 1900/Manta from 1971-? The 1900 Sport Coupe (Manta after 1971) was one of the best handling small cars anywhere. When SCCA created the Showroom Stock Sedan category, it included the 1900 Sport Coupe/Manta, but quickly banned it in favor of the Opel 1900 sedan because the sport coupe/Manta was just too good for the rest of the field (which included the Capri). I can't find a used one anywhere.
    Vernon Hoppes Denver, Colorado July 18, 2011 at 21:03
    the cars that I think will make this list only for the reason that you saw them everwhere are Vegas, Pintos and Gremlens. Not that they were good cars but you do not see them and the cars in this era made changes but most also found there way to the junk yards.
    Vernon Hoppes Denver, Colorado July 18, 2011 at 21:03
    Bob Milligan Plymouth Mich July 18, 2011 at 21:16
    1964 Studebaker Avanti, R2 supercharged "289". I owned one, they only made a little over 2000 total production in '64
    Donald McCredie Wixim, MI July 18, 2011 at 21:20
    When is the last time you saw a Ford Pinto, a Chevy Vega or a GM X-car?
    Donald McCredie Wixim, MI July 18, 2011 at 21:21
    When is the last time you saw a Ford Pinto, a Chevy Vega or a GM X-car?
    Paul Meaney San Francisco,CA July 18, 2011 at 21:22
    How many '72 Ply Satellite Sebring Plus 2 door hardtops you insuring? Thanks.
    Jeff Litsky Marlton, NJ July 18, 2011 at 21:26
    I have a 1965 Plymouth Belvedere II Convertible . It is a survivor and I am the 2nd owner . I purchased it from the original owner in October 2010. I do a lot of cruises and shows and have not seen another one . Lots of Fury Converts but not Belvedere II converts. How many of these do you have insured as a convertible besides mine? The other collectors and people that run the shows in So. Jersey have told me it is the only one they have seen and certainly the only one that is basically all original . Love to hear from you.
    Randy California July 18, 2011 at 21:30
    1975-1981 Volkswagen Scirocco Threatened? How can that be? I have 5 of them. LOL (75,76,77,79 and an 81S). Of course none of them except for the 81 are really worth enough to insure through Haggerty. :) Glad to see the Scirocco recognized and that almost 25 of them still exist in good enough condition to be insured by Haggerty. My hat is off to those owners!!!
    Brian Stubbs Kenosha, Wi. July 18, 2011 at 21:40
    Living in Kenosha, I still see alot of AMC products driven in fair weather-so I will refrain from mentioning Gremlins, Hornets, etc. What HAVEN'T I seen in years? Saab Sonnet is one of them. Another one would be the '73-'75 Pontiac Grand Am.
    Bill Akron Oh July 18, 2011 at 21:41
    Dodge Miradas I have 2 and there were only 54K made over the 4 yr production, How bout a 77 Charger Daytona w/ t tops also how many 56 Savoy 2 dr hard tops left ? 72 Comet Gt 302 4 speed ? I think possibly a Cordoba LS is a pretty rare bird.!
    Bill Akron Oh July 18, 2011 at 21:42
    barry greene rock hill s.c. July 18, 2011 at 21:45
    dont forget the vw thing only 25,000 imported
    WAYNE LOUISVILLE, KY July 18, 2011 at 22:01
    WE HAVE AN 83 EAGLE IN THE LOCAL PULL A PART.
    Jeff Collins Wadsworth,Ohio July 18, 2011 at 22:06
    Mercur xr4ti. Cars were junk! If not extinct , should be!
    Tim Nelson Traverse City July 18, 2011 at 22:14
    I wonder how many 1953 Sunbeam Alpine Mk II you have insured. Last I knew they thought maybe 500 world wide remained. Does that mean it is endangered?
    Ardyce McCormack Sutherland, Iowa July 18, 2011 at 22:23
    How about the 1952 Plymouth Hard Top?
    Ed Wilmott Vancouver Wa July 18, 2011 at 22:28
    Is the Chevy Vega nearing extinction? I still have a 1973 in nearly perfect original condition but have not seen any others in my area or in any car magazine lately.
    Dave Karp Wanaque NJ July 18, 2011 at 22:38
    78 79 Dodge Magnum, 75-78 Charger SE, 75-79 Cordoba, 80-83 Dodge Mirada/chrysler Cordoba
    Patrick Rust Belt July 18, 2011 at 22:38
    How about a Checker? They used to be all over and now...., not so much! Save the Checkers!
    jim Depew NY July 18, 2011 at 22:47
    How about a 1973 AMC Hornett?
    jim Depew NY July 18, 2011 at 22:47
    How about a 1973 AMC Hornett?
    jim Depew NY July 18, 2011 at 22:47
    How about a 1973 AMC Hornett?
    Patrick Rust Belt July 18, 2011 at 23:00
    Jim Walker Eagle Point, Oregon July 18, 2011 at 23:10
    How about the 1941 Hudson Big Boy 3/4 ton pickups. We have one, and so far after years of searching, can only find 4 others.
    Robbie La July 18, 2011 at 23:22
    Theres a website in the UK called howmanyareleft, thats supposed to use the registration database and let you see how many of each car are still registered. Something like that even with just insured through haggerty would be interesting to see.
    Robbie La July 18, 2011 at 23:22
    Brent Florida July 18, 2011 at 23:26
    Had a black 1977 Olds Starfire GT 20 years ago, equipped with the 305. Even in smog-choked form, the v8 was more than those narrow 13 inch tires could handle. Doubt many are left in any condition, let alone collectable.
    Ron Eason New York State July 18, 2011 at 23:27
    If you want to find the old cars , Classics, hard to find never see anymore, cars go to your local Drag Racing track. Like my favorite in Leicester, NY 14481, 2011 New Rd. (585) 382-3030 http://www.empiredragway.com
    Ron Eason New York State July 18, 2011 at 23:28
    jason long island ny July 18, 2011 at 23:43
    hands down has to be the 88-89 mazda 323gtx awd turbo i should know ive owned 4 of these great cars over the years. most examples where raced and therefore crashed ....i helped here too unfortunetly. and not to be forgotten the gtxs brother the 88 only mazda 323 gt turbo(2wd)
    jason long island ny July 18, 2011 at 23:44
    Kenny Leishman Salt Lake City ,Ut July 18, 2011 at 23:47
    HEY !!!! you guy's forgot the 1971=1980 Ford Pinto's I know you guys insure at least 1...Mine....1978 Ford Pinto Cruising Wagon..I love this car.........
    JoeRiggio WestlandMichigan July 18, 2011 at 23:59
    IhadoneofthoseAwrrowcars.Ithinkitwasa1978.itwasorangeandblack.neversawanotherone.
    Zach Ohio July 19, 2011 at 01:11
    Willys-Overland CJ-1. Nobody knows how many were made, but none exist in the world today.
    Aaron VA July 19, 2011 at 01:25
    I thought for sure my 79 Granada would be on this list
    Daveo Texas July 19, 2011 at 01:26
    I second Rick C.s request. Lets see a list by model of all cars insured by Hagerty. Thanks! Rick C. SC Would love to see a breakdown, by model, of all cars insured by Hagerty. I don't believe any privacy laws would be broken.
    Aaron VA July 19, 2011 at 01:29
    I thought for sure my 79 Granada would be on this list
    Ron Cochrell Poulsbo, WA. July 19, 2011 at 01:40
    Don't forget about the Renault R17, pretty neat car for it's time!
    Rustin Deckerville, MI July 19, 2011 at 13:42
    78-85 Oldsmobile Cutlass Coupe with a Diesel (LT6-LF9). More Specifically 1982-1984 Oldsmobile Cutlass with a v6 Diesel (LT6). I have an 81 Oldsmobile Cutlass with the 350 diesel and you NEVER see them at car shows/cruises/ or just even parking lots.
    Rustin Deckerville, MI July 19, 2011 at 13:42
    Hobie L.A. So.Cali. July 19, 2011 at 01:43
    A Lot of A.M.C.`s are Very Rare because ( Rotten) Chrysler took over the Company in 1987 and Trashed All the part`s they Could so that A.M.C. Lover`s would have a Very Hard time getting part`s, I Myself Own a 1978 Pacer DL 304-V8 Coup And a 1969 A.M.eX.perimental ( A.M.X. ) 2 Seater 390 Go Package Show Car,its Insured by Hagerty and its Worth goes UP all the time over the 15+years ive owned it, IM PROUD to be an A.M.C. Lover and will Always Try and keep the Legacy of American Motors ALIVE! and Well Loved,,,Thanx. :-)
    Robert Jones Pennsylvania July 19, 2011 at 15:07
    1976 Mustang Cobra II. Came with either 195 or 205x70x13 tires, try and buy them you cannot. Try to buy parts that are correct, you cannot. I own on with 52,000 original miles, only owner. It is hard to drive with 30 year old tires and no one manufactures them. The vehicle is slowly becoming extinct, as original.
    Julio Somerville,nj July 19, 2011 at 15:25
    How about 83-84 Rabbit GTI ? there arent many left and i know finding parts isnt easy. Also Omni glh or chargers from early 80s.
    Jeff RI July 19, 2011 at 15:31
    I restate the comment of an earlier poster, it would be great for hobbists/collectors to have access to how many cars of a certain make/model/year are insured by Haggerty. The we could gage for ourselves how rare our particular car is.
    Jeff RI July 19, 2011 at 15:31
    Jo Peterson Morgan Utah July 19, 2011 at 16:13
    What about 1971 Ford LTD convertible with air condition (top is electric). Any one know how many were made and/or how many are left? My mom has been only owner, until she added me to the title and I restored it - so I guess you could say we are original owners. Any info as to how collectible this car is would be greatly appreciated. Please email me at ljpeterson@earthlink.net
    Mike Wis July 19, 2011 at 16:19
    The 1979 plymouth horizon tc -3
    Justin PA July 19, 2011 at 16:24
    The Voyager is not extinct yet. I guess I own the only 84 Voyager that is in show condition. Mine is a factory 5-spd but I swapped in a modified 2.5 Intercooled Turbo engine and updated the transmission.
    Harris Johns Creek GA July 19, 2011 at 16:25
    Nice to know you insure more than 25 AMC Pacers (mine being one!)
    Ralph long island new york July 19, 2011 at 16:28
    the chevrolet cameo
    Peter Ives Albuquerque July 19, 2011 at 17:14
    Regarding the Saab Sonnet, our local public radio station just auctioned one off. It was bought buy a fellow in Budapest! When I was young I owned a number of odd or uncommon cars: 1960 Borgward station wagen, 1960 MGA 1600, 1967 Skoda station wagen, 1974 Peugeot 404 station wagen, 1969 Citroen ID19. I live in a rust-free zone, so many of the cars folks have mentioned are still plugging along here.
    Peter Ives Albuquerque July 19, 2011 at 17:16
    kenneth taplin blue hill me. July 19, 2011 at 05:49
    1958/59 porsche convertable D?
    Scott Brady Worcester, New York July 19, 2011 at 05:53
    1978 Ford Pinto, how many Pinto's do you insure?
    Scott Brady Worcester, New York July 19, 2011 at 05:53
    1978 Ford Pinto, how many Pinto's do you insure?
    Mike Oberlin Baltimore, MD July 19, 2011 at 07:05
    Ron Busch Southwest Florida July 19, 2011 at 07:18
    The '75 Cosworth Vega should be on this list too. How many of these cars are insured with Haggerty?
    DAVID DEMARS WISCONSIN July 19, 2011 at 07:37
    HOW ABOUT PONTIAC LEMANS THERE WERE SO MANY DESTROYED FOR THE GTOS WHEN THE TRUTH IS PONTIAC LEMANS IS THE SAME THING WITHOUT ALL THE TRIMMINGS WENT TO THE NATIONALS GTO AND PONTIAC NATIONALS AND THERE WAS ONLY ONE LEMANS SPORT CONVERTIBLE THERE
    Ralph Marquardt Cottage Grove Minnesota July 19, 2011 at 20:03
    I proudly own a truly threatened and endangered and hopefully never extiinct 1963 Ford Falcon "Cayuse" also insured by Hagrety. Only two Falcon Cayuse concept cars were built. My Cayuse trail includes shows in Dallas, Kansas City, Indy, Nashville, St. Ignas, Salisbury House in Des Moines, Fargo and of course Minneapolis and St Paul and many more locations. Long live my Cayuse- - -
    Bob Kirchner Rochester, MN July 19, 2011 at 20:04
    Two cars that should be on the list that I owned at one time are: First Gen Dodge Colt. My first non-used car was a 1973 Colt. I also owned a 1974 Gremlin X with a 5 liter gine and 3spd tranny. Talk about a sleeper. That car surprised more than a few people.
    Kurt J. Schroeder Traverse City Michigan July 19, 2011 at 08:26
    Is there a high number of the1980 Pontiac Grand Am insured by you? Do you know how many are still around?
    Stu Smalinskas Livonia, Michigan July 19, 2011 at 08:43
    I actually saw a 1984 Voyager/Caravan in Livonia last year that was in rather good condition. I imagine it was a collectible for the owner. Back in 1982, There was a picture of me on the Automotive News weekly publication pouring prototype castings for the Voyager/Caravan program at Chrysler.
    Kim Crronin Traverse City Mi. July 19, 2011 at 08:54
    I would like the 68-72 Opel GT sold by Buick dealers then orphaned added to the extinct car list !
    Kim Crronin Traverse City Mi. July 19, 2011 at 08:55
    Kim Crronin Traverse City Mi. July 19, 2011 at 08:55
    Mike Oberlin Baltimore, MD July 19, 2011 at 21:02
    Don Lowell, MA July 19, 2011 at 09:06
    Very interesting. Another addition for my course on automobile history.
    Mike H United States July 19, 2011 at 09:21
    Chevrolet Chevette?? How many of these still exist. Not quite a muscle car but first GM economy car!
    Wallace Holston Asheboro, NC July 19, 2011 at 09:24
    We have a 1966 Chevelle Convertible, 230 Ci six cylinder with three on a tree and a manual top. My wife is the second owner having purchased it in 1967. It was completely restored except for the engine bay in 1994. We have never spotted another with the same specs. Can anyone tell me how many of the same model were manufactured ?
    Dick Lackey Seminole, Florida July 19, 2011 at 21:44
    How about my 1981 Delorean that I bought at Barrett Jackson in 1987 that was supposed to be the only Deloran painted with black imron at the factory and also had factory installed twin turbins. Should I discard it because the current (expert ?) historians say it never existed ? Dick Lackey
    Richard Mitchell Crystal Beach, FL July 19, 2011 at 09:46
    Speaking of foreign rarities, I had a 1976 Mazda Cosmo that had a rotary, but looked like a little Olds. Dare you to find one.
    Z Denton, TX July 19, 2011 at 09:53
    I never see anything on the 280Z cars. I have a 1979 and rarely see any information on their status.
    david dehart mundelrin,il July 19, 2011 at 10:03
    1962-1964 dodge custom 880 2drht appox only 10,000 produced in a 3 year run i have a survivor
    Holly MI July 19, 2011 at 10:16
    My husband has a 1975 Plymouth Scamp. We can never find another at any car shows.
    Malcolm Utah July 19, 2011 at 10:18
    Suzuki LJ10, LJ20, LJ50 and LJ80, LJ81 etc....
    Malcolm Utah July 19, 2011 at 10:18
    Suzuki LJ10, LJ20, LJ50 and LJ80, LJ81 etc....
    Malcolm Utah July 19, 2011 at 10:19
    Suzuki LJ10, LJ20, LJ50 and LJ80, LJ81 etc....
    Luke Buford, Georgia July 19, 2011 at 10:31
    I have a 1968 Pontiac Catalina Convertible. I have attended several classic car shows and there has only been 1 or 2 of these classics in the show including mine. Is this great classic becoming extinct? BTW - I have my 1968 Pontiac Catalina insured by HAGERTY.
    Katrinia Flint, MI July 19, 2011 at 10:54
    I used to own a Starfire, don't remember the year of the car. I had it somewhere around 1989-90. Sorry, it went out in a blaze of glory (up in flames) due to the mechanical ignorance of my boyfriend at the time. It was a cute car & fun to drive for the short time I owned it. I'm more interested in knowing how many 1967-68 Mercury Cougars are insured by Hagery (I have one of each).
    Joe Winnipeg, Mb July 19, 2011 at 11:12
    1983 through 1987 Dodge Shelby Charger. Two years naturally aspirated/carbureted and three years turbo/fuel injected.
    West K Phoenix, AZ July 19, 2011 at 00:00
    Since foreign cars came up, it would be very interesting to know just how many '65 Rolls-Royce Phantom V's bodied by Mulliner Park Ward are on the docket. Production ended with 516 in total.
    West K Phoenix, AZ July 19, 2011 at 00:00
    JoeRiggio WestlandMichigan July 19, 2011 at 00:00
    I had one of those Awrrow cars. I think it was a 1978. It was orange and black. Never saw another one.
    Joe Richmond July 19, 2011 at 12:19
    1974 Buick Apollo. Nice ride, only wish we'd had one with the 4-barrel carb. It was, I think, a one-year model.
    Joe Richmond July 19, 2011 at 12:19
    Gary Ohio July 19, 2011 at 12:36
    If these are not extinct, they should be. I used to service (actually attempt to maintain) a 1979 Lincoln Versailes for a friend. Although based on a Ford Fairmont, nearly everything was unique to Lincoln with many mechanical parts were never available outside of a Ford dealership. An extremely problem-prone computerized ignition, variable venturi carburetor, and 4 wheel disc brakes come to mind.
    Gary Ohio July 19, 2011 at 12:36
    Bill VancouverWA July 19, 2011 at 00:46
    1984 Dodge Colt Turbo A real sleeper econobox that hauled but, handled exceptionally, was very roomy and comfortable and looked good.
    Bill VancouverWA July 19, 2011 at 00:45
    barry hackettstown,nj July 19, 2011 at 12:51
    i own a 1971 &1/2 pontiac GT-37. one of less than 50 were said to have been produced. mine has a 455 in it. not sure how many in the half year came with that motor but its a super rare car. its all original. was planning to restore it finally this winter or next summer
    barry hackettstown,nj July 19, 2011 at 12:52
    RG kansas July 19, 2011 at 00:59
    how rare are the 1977/1978 pontiac esprit sky bird edition firebirds, 1978/1979 pontiac esprit red bird edition firebirds and the 1980 esprit yellow bird edition firebirds?
    Jeff Long Island, NY July 20, 2011 at 14:23
    What about a 1978 Plymouth Trailduster Sport Truck? Is that extinct or close to it?
    Robert Krebs Youngstown Ohio July 20, 2011 at 17:59
    I have a 59 Edsel station wagon and 99 percent of the people who see it never knew a wagon was made.
    chris ne ohio July 20, 2011 at 08:01
    80-85 grumman kubvan, kurbwatt vw or electric powered all aluminum step vans... mini van sized..
    chris myers Amana, Iowa July 20, 2011 at 20:26
    I used to own a 1978 Dodge Challenger. Same as Plymouth Sapparo. I have never seen a used one for sale
    Derol F. Briscoe Tucson, AZ July 20, 2011 at 09:44
    Saabs, Yugo, Rabbit, Mazada, Renault, Volvo, etc..........who cares!! Give me American iron!! Just kidding!?
    TOM ADKINS Cincinnati, Ohio July 20, 2011 at 00:21
    Your great company currently insures my very very very rare (America's ONLY) 1969 Opel GT with the 1.1 Liter engine (54 mpg) 98% factory original with 24,000 original miles on her (Ms. Opel) for $25K. I agree with Kim Crronin's statement above that the Opel GT's such be added to your list.
    TOM ADKINS Cincinnati, Ohio July 20, 2011 at 00:22
    Joe B. Long Island N.Y. July 21, 2011 at 03:04
    Very endangered.... 1968 Pontiac Grand Prix 428 4 speed. They only made 306 with a manual transmission, Less with a 4 speed!
    Cherilynn Furerlaz? That's marvelously good to know. July 21, 2011 at 07:44
    Furerlaz? That's marvelously good to know.
    Celeste K Portland, OR July 21, 2011 at 23:52
    I would be interested in knowing how many 1969 MGC Roadsters are still around. Mine has been restored and is in better shape than when I bought it in 1974.
    Steve Hedke Valencia, CA July 21, 2011 at 11:58
    1971 Mazda R-100. First rotary engined production car sold in the US in any volume. Fun car, extinct now.
    gary SEATTLE July 21, 2011 at 00:43
    69 OPEL RALLEY MINI CHEVY MALIBU SOLD BY BUICK DEALERS, OUT SOLD THE VW BUG, NONE AROUND ONLY FIND GT'S
    sherry s scottown July 22, 2011 at 14:02
    how rare are the 1959 2-door caddys? I have one that I drive,but never see any around this part of ohio. insuredw/haggerty
    Dean Seattle July 22, 2011 at 18:09
    Mine is a 1970 Dodge 440 R/T Magnum Challenger Convt.
    Dean Seattle July 22, 2011 at 18:09
    Mine is a 1970 Dodge 440 R/T Magnum Challenger Convt.
    Lee Hollek Grayslake IL July 22, 2011 at 20:46
    I would be curious to know how many 1974 Oldsmobile Omega's you have insured with Hagerty? Everyone says "Nice Nova", but I have only seen a few at shows in the past 10 years.
    Tom Guilbault Shelby Township, MI July 22, 2011 at 10:40
    How about my 1928 Chrysler Model 62 Rumble Seat Roadster. It has right hand drive. Shipped to Austrailia and returned her by a Chrysler exec. Also my 23 Dodge roadster. Insured w/Haggerty
    Keyla For the love of God, keep writing these acrtiels. July 22, 2011 at 10:43
    For the love of God, keep writing these acrtiels.
    John D Phoenix, AZ July 23, 2011 at 16:20
    Hey I agree with Rick...It would be cool to have a list by numbers of all the cars Hagerty insures.
    John D Phoenix, AZ July 23, 2011 at 16:21
    John D Phoenix, AZ July 23, 2011 at 16:25
    gaijinshogun Pacific July 23, 2011 at 08:12
    Lots of rare ones from Japan that few care about in the US: 1978 Buick Opel by Isuzu 4dr, 1976 Mazda 808, 1977 Plymouth Sapporo, 1986 Mitsubishi Cordia or Tredia, 1979 Dodge Colt Wagon, 1986 Nissan Stanza Van, 1987 Nissan Van (recalled). Yugos seem to have cult following next to a 1985 Hyundai Excel...
    Sheila New York July 23, 2011 at 09:33
    How about my 1932 REO Flying Cloud 4 door Sedan
    Doug Finch Savannah, Ga July 24, 2011 at 06:10
    How about an AC Bristol Ace. It was a fore runner of the you know what. Check your Shelby history.
    Kurt Mount Airy, NC July 24, 2011 at 20:14
    How about the Dodge Omni GLH?
    Dave AZ July 24, 2011 at 21:48
    How about a 72 formula RA 455HO factory 4speed with A/C. I have only seenone besides mine.
    Herb R. Franklin,Pa. July 24, 2011 at 22:43
    How many 1963 Ford Thuderbird Pricipality of Monaco Limited Editions do you insure? only 2000 were made.
    Herb R. Franklin,Pa. July 24, 2011 at 22:48
    Tim Nebraska July 24, 2011 at 11:58
    This is an answer to Wallace about the production numbers of a 66 Chevelle 6 cyl. convertable, they made 2,495 of them if that helps
    Robert DE July 24, 2011 at 00:41
    How about a 1972 AMC Ambassador 2 Door Hardtop SST? My father owns 1 in great shape and we only know of 1 other which we hear is pretty much rusted out. There were only 986 SST hardtops made in 72. We have been looking for others for 6 years.
    B Butchart BC July 25, 2011 at 18:17
    Very rare here in Canada...the Canadian built only 1960 & 1961 Meteor, from sedans, hardtops, convertibles and station wagons. I doubt if a 61 Meteor wagon even exists.
    Henry LI, NY July 26, 2011 at 08:24
    The Chevy Citation X11 was first introduced in 1980 not 1981 as you list. Check your records, Hagerty insures my 1980 X11. (Editor's note: Our listing includes those Citations that are endangered. Hagerty insures more than 25 1980 Citations, so those aren't yet considered threatened, endangered or extinct.)
    jack S. las vegas,NV July 26, 2011 at 10:11
    89 mustang GT....hard to find any parts in salvage yards,but lucky 4 me ,I can find almost any part ,any..from the dozens of aftermarket websites
    npg sc July 27, 2011 at 13:12
    some things deserve to die...I came so close to buying a brand new Fiat Strada in 1980...I still think they were kind of neat
    Bob S NY July 27, 2011 at 13:16
    I had a 1975 VW Scirrocco good looking car but what a lemon!
    dan coyle Connecticut July 27, 2011 at 13:25
    What about the '33 Fornorton Phaeton Cruiser.. I've only ever seen one
    Bill Richardson Flint, Mi 48532 July 27, 2011 at 13:32
    I have a 1983 Cougar; have not seen one in Genesee county in the last 5 years. At Back to the Bricks in downtown Flint in August there never has been a 1983, '84 or '85 of show quality. We are the second owners. White with powder blue interior,a gift in 1989 to my wife. 114,000 miles to date.
    Barry Zalane Chicago, Il July 27, 2011 at 13:36
    Rare & Extinct: 1927 Nash Special Six, Model 333.
    steve phx, az July 27, 2011 at 14:27
    ......has anyone mentioned the AMC Gremlin? if i remember correctly, there was even a "performance" version with a 304 V-8, just can't recall the sub-name
    steve phx, az July 27, 2011 at 14:27
    steve w. lafayette, in July 27, 2011 at 15:46
    1977 pontiac astre formula. bought mine new 1977. haven't seen one for 15-20 years. still have it..
    Steve Maryland July 27, 2011 at 21:01
    Steve in Phx, AZ, the sub model was the Gremlin X. Just saw one with a matching single wheel trailer (remember those?!?) in a Route 66 Museum in Santa Rosa, NM last week. V-8, 4-speed with A/C for sale by the museum. Have a photo if you want to see it. I doubt you have a subclassification for this, but I have a French-assembled 29 Model A Ford, a foreign Ford. Insure any more than just mine, Hagerty? Would love to talk to another owner of one of these to compare notes!
    Phil L-town PA July 27, 2011 at 21:02
    1970 AMC Rebel SST where do you place this car on your list? Like most AMC cars low number made and few left I have one almost all original.
    Phil L-town PA July 27, 2011 at 21:04
    Rick Carignan NH July 28, 2011 at 20:18
    The rarity is proven by it not being mentioned yet. 1970 AMC Rebel Machine, you insure ours.
    adam new mexico July 28, 2011 at 11:59
    Anybody know the status of an all original, not restored, running 1923 Studebaker Special Six El Touring Sedan?
    Daniel Yelm Washington July 28, 2011 at 00:36
    Well all of those are nice to read about. But I have a 1987 Ford Crown Victoria Crown Coupe That right a 2door version that makes most Lincolns look bare bones next to it . Which may be the reason Ford sold so few of them. In 1987 they sold only 5450 then stopped production I have only seen one since got mine and it was being parted for a street rod..
    C.Y. Stoney Creek, Tennessee July 28, 2011 at 12:45
    Regarding the "extinction" of the Chrysler T&C/Plymouth Voyager/Dodge CaraVan of 1983--I disagree with it on several fronts: First of all, I SAW ONE just like was pictured in this article, with the phony stuck-on woodgraining (almost completely peeled off) and the whole business; it came in for an oil change where I work at WalMart Automotive. The car was a rolling piece of crap, kind of like they were in the 1980's. Are they REALLY considered collectible?? I have a hard time imagining somebody sinking $30,0000 to $80,000 into the restoration of an early 80's Chrysler minivan when you can still buy a relatively decent one on a 3rd rate used car lot for less than $1000, and some times for less than $500. By the way, the man who drove it into WalMart I believed to been Mexican with his family inside. Maybe a car like this will get the illegal aliens involved in the old car hobby------ ......... Here's an EXTINCT one for you: How about a 1973 Pontiac Astra? It was Pontiac's attempt to re-badge the Chevrolet Vega. The only difference between it and the Vega was the fact it said "Pontiac" on the outside of it. Had the same shitcan 4cyl and rusting inner quarters like the Vega. Anybody seen one? I haven't for many decades and wouldn't begin to tell you where to find. Maybe there should be a Pontiac Astra Club to answer.
    Rowdy Now I feel stupid. That's claered it up for me July 30, 2011 at 18:57
    Now I feel stupid. That's claered it up for me
    Kayleen Holy cnocsie data batman. Lol! August 1, 2011 at 01:30
    Holy cnocsie data batman. Lol!
    Evan hamilton, oh August 3, 2011 at 20:22
    i have a 1975 Chevelle laguna type S-3 insured with Hagerty. very curious how many of these you have insured or still insure? it was the lowest production year for lagunas, i am fortunate to own two examples.
    Evan hamilton, oh August 3, 2011 at 20:22
    Evan hamilton, oh August 3, 2011 at 20:24
    john D new york August 4, 2011 at 21:57
    I am a mopar guy, how about the omni 024 or horzon tc3, or rampage, I have 2 turismo-dusters that are mint.
    john D new york August 4, 2011 at 21:58
    John D ny August 4, 2011 at 22:31
    The plymouth sundance and shadow, great versitile little car, great in snow.
    Sherry Hey, sbulte must be your middle name. Great post! August 16, 2011 at 06:40
    Hey, sbulte must be your middle name. Great post!
    Etty If you're lokoing to buy these articles make it way easier. August 18, 2011 at 21:59
    If you're lokoing to buy these articles make it way easier.
    Joan For the love of God, keep writing these atrciles. August 24, 2011 at 20:31
    For the love of God, keep writing these atrciles.
    Conyers Play informative for me, Mr. internet wrtier. August 25, 2011 at 13:40
    Play informative for me, Mr. internet wrtier.
    Veronica CA September 1, 2011 at 01:34
    How About A 1963 Dodge Custom 880 4 door Hardtop
    John S New Jersey September 2, 2011 at 10:54
    I have a very nice and very operational 1984 Plymouth Voyager. Original Owner too!
    John S New Jersey September 2, 2011 at 10:59
    John S New Jersey September 2, 2011 at 10:59
    dave betz maryland September 4, 2011 at 02:25
    you know mike we had a plymouth fire arrow...and a sapporo...the arrow was an automatic tho...and the sapporo had the 1.6 and a 5 speed...you probally rode in both....funny dad had a 74 torandado as well...id like to find a sapporo that was my first car handed down from steve
    Jerry K Sussex, Wisconsin September 9, 2011 at 23:30
    Rare? Maybe. Extinct? Hardly. Hagerty doesn't insure MY Renault GTA because it's my fair weather near-daily driver. Too much fun to save just for special occasions. I'm guessing most, if not all, GTA owners feel much the same way.
    Jerry K Sussex, Wisconsin September 9, 2011 at 23:46
    Jerry K Sussex, Wisconsin September 9, 2011 at 23:46
    Frederick Savannah, TN September 13, 2011 at 17:10
    How about a 1972 Ford Ranchero GT - with 64000 miles
    Early Haha. I woke up down today. You've cheeerd me up! September 24, 2011 at 14:18
    Haha. I woke up down today. You've cheeerd me up!
    Kamberley Hey, that's the gaertest! So with ll this brain power AWHFY? September 24, 2011 at 09:04
    Hey, that's the gaertest! So with ll this brain power AWHFY?
    mike buffalo n.y. September 27, 2011 at 13:11
    1962 dodge 880 costume convrt. how rare are they?
    Bubi What a joy to find soemnoe else who thinks this way. October 1, 2011 at 14:36
    What a joy to find soemnoe else who thinks this way.
    Dahrann The forum is a brgither place thanks to your posts. Thanks! October 2, 2011 at 00:16
    The forum is a brgither place thanks to your posts. Thanks!
    Milo Vancouver January 20, 2012 at 13:36
    Been a nice looking but non-running Alliance GTA for sale here in Vancouver for a very reasonable price for quite some time. If I had some disposable income... http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/bnc/cto/2783270679.html
    Ray NY June 5, 2012 at 11:35
    Just an FYI....I currently own a 1987 Renault GTA Convertible with 26,000 miles...runs great...looks like it just rolled off the assembly line.
    wayne goodwin nh July 28, 2012 at 13:00
    i have a 1964 corvair monza coupe with a 3 speed trans, i was told it was a very rare one because of the trans, i have only seen one in a junk yard other than mine. its insured with hagerty.should it be on the rare list of cars?
    Jane NM September 10, 2012 at 14:26
    How about a '63 two door hard top buick electra?
    Jane NM September 10, 2012 at 14:27
    How about a '63 two door hard top buick electra?
    Rick Texas June 2, 2013 at 19:20
    How about a 1967 Buick Wildcat, 430 CID with two 4bbl carbs.
    Jim Nashua, NH June 6, 2013 at 16:51
    I actually test drove a Renault GTA convertible in 1987 and almost traded my red 1985 Renault Encore for it. Now I wish I had bought it. The car was an incredibly fun car to drive, especially with a 5-speed manual transmission. It was quick and it gripped the road extremely well. On top of that, it got over 30 mpg. As I recall, the dealers only got one or two GTAs and many dealer owners bought them for themselves. I'm almost certain these cars are not extinct. To the contrary, there are probably a larger percentage of them out there in working condition than most cars of that era. You just have to know where to look. The first place is in former Renault/AMC dealers' private collections. I know of a few of them who have them stored away with close to zero miles. The second place to look is the southern coast of France, near Nice. After Americans panned the Renaults and traded them for almost nothing, the French bought them up by the tens of thousands and exported them to France. It's virtually impossible to find a GTA sedan, GTA convertible, or Alliance convertible on the road here, but thousands of them are still in use in France. You can safely take the GTA off your endangered list in my opinion.
    Dan Phoenix AZ June 16, 2013 at 11:16
    I actually saw a Plymouth Fire Arrow being driven on the road here in Phoenix, AZ about a month ago. I took a picture but its a bit blurry due to my trying to drive at the same time. I think the Renault Le Car certainly qualifies as being close to extinct. Anything by Renault sold in the U.S., for that matter.
    Dan Phoenix AZ June 16, 2013 at 11:22
    daryl johnson amelia ohio June 19, 2013 at 23:37
    I own a1978 Pontiac phoenix and cant find nothing out about it . its is in mint cond with olny 89000 orginal miles see if you can find it
    Larry fischer Aberdeen, SD August 10, 2013 at 16:47
    '63 Corvette split window. In 1979 I had the opportunity to purchase one for 10,000 dollars. Didn't have the dough!!
    lloyd robinson florence,ky October 12, 2013 at 16:59
    ARE THER ANY PONTIAC GT-37 LISTED OF YOUR SITE WQITH A 400 4 BBL TROPICL LIME GREEN, HAD ONE SOLD IT WOULD LOVE TO FIND IT OR ONE LIKE IT.
    Rob Doylestown Pa November 10, 2013 at 10:44