2 December 2009

Tips to Keep Mice out of Stored Cars

If you're a classic car owner, chances are that you've had to store your car at some point. Check out readers' best ideas for nipping rodent problems in the bud, ranging from D-Con and dryer sheets to sulfur and steel wool. If you’re putting your car away for the winter, keep reading for ways to keep those small, unwanted guests out of your classic.

1. Dryer sheets

“I have had a 1966 Ford Fairlane 500 XL for 18 years, and I also have an acre in the country, so we see our share of mice. The best thing I've used is dryer sheets. Just go to the Dollar Store and buy a box. They don't have to be expensive. I just lay them all over the interior, under the hood, in the trunk, on top of the tires – even in the exhaust pipe. Then, in the spring, gather them all up and toss them. Not only will there be no mice, the car will smell like it just came out of the dryer. Works great for me!”

“Try Bounce fabric softener dryer sheets. Mice don’t like the smell, but you’ll like it better than moth balls. Use them in several places in the car.”

“One of the best things to deter rodents is to put multiple sheets of a fabric softener inside the car (“Bounce” is excellent!). There is a very low odor associated with the smell after taking the car out of storage, yet rodents hate this item!!! I have a car that I put in storage each winter and also have a 30-foot camping trailer that I store. I have never had one problem since I was introduced to this idea years ago, and I had many problems with rodents before using this technique.”

“I've tried with a good amount of success using fabric softener sheets placed around the car and inside the vehicle. Bounce seems to work the best. I received this information from an upholstery shop that does a lot of work on vehicle interiors.”

2. D-Con

“The best (and most effective) means of removing all rats and mice from virtually any place is to place D-Con around in areas accessible by the mice and rats, but too small to be accessible by dogs, cats, or any other pets you may have. You may (or may not) detect a slight odor as they are killed off, but I can assure you will never be bothered by them again. I'm 75 years old and have used D-Con all my life, and have yet to see any signs of mice or rats beyond the third or fourth day of setting out the D-Con. I have an antique car, and I use D-Con in it while it is in storage to guarantee against any damage to upholstery or insulation in the car.”

3. Traps

“The best killer is the Victor snap traps with the 1-inch square plastic yellow tongue. It's more sensitive than traditional snap traps with the small metal tongue. I prefer a small smear of peanut butter in a center hole. You don't want much; just enough to give off the scent. The one downside of these traps is that if they sit long enough without a mouse going for the bait, crickets (and some small bugs) can eat all the traces of peanut butter without setting off the traps because they are so light. A combination of fabric sheets, snap traps, and building inspection and maintenance will keep your classic rodent free.”

“I have five classic cars and believe me, I have tried everything to keep the mice away. But I keep going back to the old faithful mouse trap. You have to keep an eye on them, but they do work. I also have a commercial pest control company put out poison. So far (keeping my fingers crossed) I haven't had much trouble or damage from the varmints. Years ago I made the mistake of putting the trap inside the car. It was nearly impossible to get the smell out of the car! Don't make that mistake.”

4. Mothballs

“The ultimate prevention to mice invasion, or any other rodent invasion, is the good, old-fashioned mothball. By the first of summer the mothballs are gone. By opening up the car and taking a few rides, the smell is gone as well.”

“This is the second winter I've tried Bounce, in the car and under the hood. It worked OK last year, so hopefully it will continue to. But of course, there's that half box of mothballs spread around and under the car and in the far corners of the [old] garage, so it may be this combo that works. It sure keeps the chipmunks – destructive monsters compared to mice – out of the garage and from under the porch. “

5. Sulphur

“Garden stores sell granular or powdered pure sulphur. Mice, roaches and other vermin hate the smell. Cut an old pillowcase into 8" x 8" squares and put a spoonfull of sulphur in the center. Gather the ends and tie into a small pouch. Place these bags around areas that may have a mouse or bug problem.”

6. Steel wool

“In addition to the soap and mothballs, I put wads of steel wool inside the pipes on my modifed '48 Willys Jeepster.”

7. Other tips: Tape, jacks, ‘Tom Cat,’ lowered visors, no covers

“Don't forget to put tape over the tail pipe opening and the air intake. A friend could tell you a story about tearing down an engine and finding a mouse carcass on top of a piston.”

“I maybe go a bit overboard, but I'd rather spend a few dollars and be safe than lots come spring. I put my car up on jackstands so only mice that can pole vault or jump really high can reach it. I also put lots of Bounce sheets inside and under the hood. I set about four or five mousetraps that I check every time the weather is warm enough to walk over to the garage where I keep it stored (it’s only a 50 ft. jaunt, but at 20 below it seems like a mile ). I also, since no pets can get into my garage, set out about six little caps of antifreeze. Most of these can be used year after year and so far have been very effective, or maybe I'm just lucky. Either way, when spring comes and everything is the way it was when I parked it, I'm happy.”

“I reproduce interiors of vehicles; a procedure I inform my customers is to purchase "Tom Cat" mice packets. These are sealed packets (6/ box). Do not open the packets but place in trunk, under seats on floor, on top of the air filter cover under the hood. If packets remain closed the bait will remain fresh, if broken it will indicate the presence of an intruder,(who will not remain within the vehicle but leave and search for water). Remove the broken packet and replace with a new sealed packet. The indication of an open packet will remind one to view the vehicle more often. Unfortunately there is no inexpensive means to totally prevent the appearance of rodents, short of obtaining a complete air tight trailer; but this process has worked to assist in keeping the unwanted guests from a restored vehicle. I also recommend that vehicles not be stored in old barns or garages that present means for rodents to have access to the interior of the building. “

“This is not a method to prevent mice from getting in, but rather an extra precaution in case they do get into the interior. Mice have been known to 'nest' behind the sun visor and cause damage to the visor and headliner. Always lower the visor to eliminate the chance for the critters to establish residence on them.”

“I learned not to cover the car because mice like dark areas to build their nests, usually out of the car's installation, hood blanket, seat cushioning material, etc. I live in Colorado and every fall mice and other critters look for a place to come in out of the cold. Anyway, I now leave my trunk and hood both open and no longer have a problem.”

If you have a tip that isn't mentioned here, leave a comment below.

Matt Connecticut March 27, 2013 at 09:52
    I have read quite a few of the comments and it appears that one thing that works for one person may not work for another. At our shop we see mice damaging or nesting in cars almost daily.The best solution that we have found is a product called the mouse blocker. The mouse blocker installs under the hood of the car and makes a noise that makes it uncomfortable for them to nest and in our dealings it has proven to be the best because you don't have to remember to change your dryer sheets or renew the peppermint oil and it doesn't smell like moth balls. We purchase them direct at www.mouseblocker.com
    Mark Trahan Petawawa Ont. Canada July 5, 2013 at 01:41
    Hi; I noticed damage above the passenger visor on the headliner on my classic car. The headliner is new last year. There is no mice droppings in the area or on the floor. What else could have caused this damage and what can I do to stop it from getting bigger ? Thanks Mark
    Randy Villeneuve Amherst VA October 7, 2013 at 10:23
    I have a 1970 Buick GS I have had for 34 years. When I was first restoring the car in 1983 I installed the new headlined one night and by the next day they has pissed on it and had built a next above it. I have tried moth balls, drier sheets and traps and nothing works. I restored my interior 6 years ago and had drier sheets in the car as well as traps that I checked every day or so and they ended up stripping the new fire wall insulation and building nests in both bucket seats and vents. I striped out he interior again and am in the process of re-installing it. I now put traps next to every entry door in my shop and in the car. I catch 1-2 mice in the traps per week and they are still getting in the car. The bag the entire car idea is great but is not feasible when you’re in the process of the restoration. I am just working in circles and will never get this car done. Note: Even though my shop is insulated and fairly tight they still get in. I plan to buy or build a building with a wood floor that is only for the car so that may help.
    John fitchett Maryland November 27, 2013 at 13:40
    The best thing I have found and works very well, is Irish Spring soap in broken up chunks. Simply cut chunks and place under seats and around inside of car and engine compartment and trunk. The mice and rats don't like the smell but we humans do, and the car smells great all yearas well.
    David Covino Sturbridge MA November 27, 2013 at 13:41
    I use a combination... I place about 1/2 dozen rubber snakes around the perimeter of the 2 bay garage, and have an electronic "hoot" owl that "hoots" evertime it senses movement. Since both are mice predators, the mice don't stick around long enough to find out if they're real or not. Environmental friendly too! No evidence of mice in years.....
    David Covino Sturbridge MA November 27, 2013 at 13:41
    Gotmoxz Rochester, NY November 27, 2013 at 13:43
    Dryer sheets are the trick for me this year! Avoid mothballs, period! They keep mice away yes, they also instill their scent into rugs and uphostery...trust me I know from first-hand experience. If you did happen to suffer from the scent of mothballs being firmly imprinted into your interior (I bought a car stored for 20-years with that as the mouse-proofing) find a car detail shop with an ozone generating machine. Normally used to rid a car of the scent of smoking, it works perfectly as a mothball odor neutralizer. They should run that ozone generator for 24-hours inside a closed-up car interior...presto, no more smells! FYI, all the other odor-eater/cleaning tricks I found failed at this task! Best Wishes...
    Duane Pittsburgh Pa. November 27, 2013 at 13:49
    Moth balls and soap do not work they ate the Irish Sprint soap and used the moth balls in their nest. Dryer sheets and traps work I use Tootsie Rolls in traps works great.
    Mark Romanowski Grand Blanc, MI November 27, 2013 at 13:50
    Leave the hood on the car open, disconnecting the underhood light. This seems to have worked to make sure I am not providing a convenient little hideaway in the engine compartment for mice, who I have found will nest directly on top of Bounce dryer sheets with no problem. Bounce sheets, in my opinion, are a waste of money, but I am glad to see others are having success with them. Maybe I just have mice who can't smell!
    Rich connecticut November 27, 2013 at 13:51
    Found a product recommended by farmers called Fresh Cab. Non poison mouse repellant. I placed it in all my cars and now wait for spring. Hopefully it works.
    Deb MI November 27, 2013 at 13:55
    I use cotton balls saturated with PURE PEPPERMINT. Place them on the floors, trunks, etc. I use at least 10 cotton balls and have never had a problem.
    Andy Krishak State College PA November 27, 2013 at 13:56
    I have a storage garage (wooden pole building) with 6 cars and an attachement for a pickup and an additional pavillion with a travel travel and a small enclosed equipment trailer. Live out in the woods. The mice are so bad around here that if I leave a pile of wood on the ground for a couple days they start building a nest. In addition to a 3 snap traps in the main garage, I have been using ultrasonic pest repellers of various brands for maybe 7 or 8 years. Victor, black and decker, sunbeam - whatever ones I find at Lowes or Home Depot. I have 2 in our camper, 1 in the equipment trailer, 2 in the space for the truck and about 5 or 6 in the main storage garage at various levels and pointing different directions. The way they work is emit a real high frequency sound that rodents hate. BUT since its high frequency, the sound is somewhat directional, so thats why I use so many in the main garage and at least one in each space. I also leave the car windows open so the sound gets inside. I will find places where they will start stashing acorns or start building a nest, but never anyplace where they have taken up residence. I even have a LOT of boxes or parts stashed in the rafters. They work!
    Bill Updyke Lansing, MI November 27, 2013 at 14:10
    I have a 1939 Buick Special that I have always used PINE-SOL in paper cupcake holders to deter mice. They do not like its scent.
    LDA NW. Indiana November 27, 2013 at 14:21
    I do mothballs in open container, vinerag in open container, d-conn, small dish of anti-freeze, just incase they get thirsty.. and check frequently. And have a fan at rear of car blowing all the time under the car.
    Richard Stanley Los Angeles November 27, 2013 at 14:33
    I concur about not using rodenticides, like D-Con. To be effective, rodenticides must be eaten over time. In the meantime, pets, birds of prey and other carnivores can eat the dying or dead rodents. The poison gets passed through the food chain and has unintended toxic effects. Children have been known to eat rodenticides, too. Many municipalities are now banning the sale of rodenticides.
    Dave Butte MT November 27, 2013 at 14:35
    A farmer friend in North Dakota told me to spread black pepper around the tires of my old cars in a wide band. Mice won't walk through it. Never had a problem after I tried it. Left baited traps inside as insurance. If your car is low enough that mice might jump to the frame, extend the band of pepper around the entire car.
    Patrick Languzzi Boston November 27, 2013 at 14:42
    I've tried Bounce, didn't seem to work well, other than making my car smell "soft", the mice still didn't seem to mind. That said, I agree with an earlier post, COTTON SOAKED PEPPERMINT OIL anywhere you see mice droppings. Engine, wheel well, under steering wheel, etc. I would also recommend traps around the tires (they seem to crawl up tires to get into wheel wells and engine) put something sweet like raisins with maple syrup. These all worked real well for me when I realized I had a mouse problem in and around my car. You can purchase Peppermint oil through your local pharmacist. Expensive, 15.00 for 6oz. worth it if you value your car! Good luck..
    Chuck Landever Maryland November 27, 2013 at 14:43
    Irish Spring soap. Put a half a bar in glove box. Critters hate the smell.
    John Froumy New Hampshire November 27, 2013 at 14:54
    I have two drag race cars, a street rod, a travel trailer, two enclosed car transporters, and some heavy equipment. All of them have been visited by mice at one time or another. In an effort to rid the vehicles of rodents I tried dryer sheets and they made everything smell great. The mice must have liked it too because that's where they urinated. I tried moth balls - LOTS of mothballs. The stink was difficult to remove and on my annual spring RV trip the food in the fridge and pantry, placed there just before the trip, picked up the mothball odor even after the smell was no longer apparent. As a result, I lost much of my opened package foods. Rat and mice poison might be an effective rodent deterrent, but I live on a small farm in a rural area, and the rodents that consume the poison will often die where they can be found by the local predators - some of which are desirable or threatened like hawks, vultures, owls, etc. When they take advantage of the easily available poisoned supply of rodents they too can become ill or die from their meal. I have lost enough upholstery to want a good solution! So, now I use a combination of methods: A frugally deployed quantity of moth balls; a half dozen or more Victor mouse traps that kill but also act as the canary in the mine to gauge the success of the other methods; and, an abundant supply of Fresh Cab, a product made to repel rodents in heavy equipment. I decided that the dryer sheets were not working well enough so I don't use them. Fresh Cab, which I found at the local NAPA store, smells strongly like balsam - not an objectionable odor at all. It is not as cheap as most other methods and requires occasional replenishing but works well in combination with them. In fact, one of the pluses of Fresh Cab is the fragrance that remains for a short while after my vehicles are returned to service in the Spring. I check my traps about once a week all winter (not pleasant in NH) and still occasionally find carcasses in the traps, which I toss without guilt into the pasture and they disappear overnight. I haven't had any serious rodent damage in nearly two years.
    Frank Keller NW Wisconsin November 27, 2013 at 14:58
    Forget the moth balls, dyer sheet , the poisons, and all the other wises tails about keeping rodents out of your car, they don't work. For ten years we have never had a problem with mice in the winter with any of our eight cars that are stored in an unheated pole building. Reason being, we put them in car bags. We live out near farm and wooded areas and see more then or share of mice, trust me when I say the bags work. There worth the $200 to $300 depending on what size you want. You spent a fortune on your car, don't let some rodent destroy it.
    Dave Dorf Marion New York November 27, 2013 at 15:00
    I have 5 cars/trucks stored in my barn and have never had a problem with mice. I use a bait trap that catches them within 30 minutes of them getting into the barn. You only have to rebait it once a year and it works winter and summer. The trap consists of a plastic 5 gallon pail, an soda can spread with peanut butter and a gallon of antifreeze. The soda can is mounted on a wire that spans the top of the pail. Spread the peanut butter evenly around the can so it rotates smoothly with no heavy spots. Add a gallon of antifreeze to the pail and your in business. Set the pail where the mice can climb up on something even with the pail top. They cannot reach the peanut butter so they jump out onto the can, it rotates around and dumps them into the antifreeze where they drowned. There is no smell and you only have to dispose of the mice in a way so other animals do not get them. I suppose you could use the RV antifreeze also. It works great, you capture the dead mouse and its low maintenance.
    Rob A ILLINOIS November 27, 2013 at 15:03
    Cats. We have 6 barn cats and no mice. I put the car in the box trailer inside the barn. The cats can't in the trailer to mess up the car and the mice won't come in the barn.
    Randy W Spokane November 27, 2013 at 15:17
    Another good way to avoid mouse problems is to take Irish Spring soap and grate it with a cheese grater on the floor and seats. I have a good friend who is a farmer in Canada and he does that to all his equipment for the winter. Says he's been doing that for over 20 years and no mice! All you do is vacuum it up and it smells good too! Randy
    Ray Felins Moscow, Pa. November 27, 2013 at 15:39
    the mice get into the car where the car meets the floor, by climbing up the tires. I put a sticky trap just inside each tire. This has worked for me over the years.
    Tom Michigan November 27, 2013 at 15:40
    I have stored my 2 VW convertibles behind my garage under a fixed roof on open ground with tarps for walls, so it would be really easy for animals to access. I haven't had issues because I have a large plastic tarp on the ground, larger than the footprint of the car, and I spray it completely with Wd40. No issues, even though there has been evidence they were inside the enclosed area around the cars (nested in my Summer Wheels. I sprayed those this year too)
    Douglas Brown Newmarket, ON Canada November 27, 2013 at 15:41
    Surprised that nobody mentioned Bay Leaves. I have used Bay Leaves with my RV for years and they work great!
    Craig Ahlman Shakopee MN November 27, 2013 at 15:41
    Irish Spring...stinky car, didn't bother mice at all. Dryer sheets... stinky car, mouse used for pillow. Steel wool... mice wedged through. Moth balls...if you like the smell of great-grandma's sweater and takes forever to go away, but i think the mice played with them. After years of trying this stuff with no sucess, I finally found something that has worked for the last 20 years...an electronic anti-mouse machine. (You do need electricity available.) They emit a sound the mice don't like, some machines are almost silent, some you can hear, and some can switch between the two.The last couple I've bought are about 4" square with a cord. I got mine from Fleet Farm for about $20each. Electric use is very minimal. I put one inside each car on the front hump or floor that I want to keep mouse-free. Never had a mouse yet!
    Dave upstate NY November 27, 2013 at 15:42
    The year that I tried "Irish Spring" and dryer sheets, they ate the soap and used the dryer sheets for bedding.
    Marty Spaulding Michigan November 27, 2013 at 15:46
    I have tried several things. Mothballs were too smelly. The one that seems to work the best for me is BLACK PEPPER. Spread it all the way around each tire and then all around the car itself right on the floor. They have their little noses right to the ground and a nice heavy 6" ring of black pepper makes the poor little guys sneeze their brains out. Not sure where I heard this one from, but it WORKS. About $10 per car.
    Marty Spaulding Michigan November 27, 2013 at 15:47
    Tom Steitz Fresno November 27, 2013 at 15:53
    Keep a cat in your garage, mice problems are gone!!
    Nico Piccolo Appleton, WI November 27, 2013 at 16:09
    Cut the top off a pop or beer can and shove in your tail pipes. Then even if you forget to take out when you start your car they will come out anyways.
    Mike New York November 27, 2013 at 16:14
    The best investment to keep my car safe from critters, mold, things in the garage falling onto the car accidently, etc. is the Car Capsule. I have tried all of the other things mentioned above but the critters would always do something to the car. I would recommend this product to anyone who stores a car. The down side is that it is a pain to get the car in and out of it. The PVC attracts dust, so you must be careful when putting the capsule cover over the car so you don't scratch the paint.
    Bill Bayliss Milwaukee WI November 27, 2013 at 16:17
    I surround a small amount of D-Con with sticky traps. If they get through the sticky traps they get too the D-Con. If they come back for more D-Con they're usually "Drunk from the D-Con and then stick to the sticky traps. I then find the dead in the sticky traps.
    Steve Marchionda Upstate New York November 27, 2013 at 16:17
    I have several classic cars, a motor home, a power boat, etc. which I store in the winter and mouse/rat problems have always been a concern. We have cold winters and when the varmints come in looking for shelter for the winter, it's very challenging to find something that discourages them completely. Other than the peppermint/spearmint options, have I tried almost everything listed in the above posts and have had limited success at best. My best results came from using a combination of dryer sheets, D-con and a sound device, but even then, in the springtime, I'd find the mice had gotten in the walls and made a nice snack of the wiring on the bus. About five years back, someone told me to try Irish Spring and I did, at first in conjunction with dryer sheets and D-con. The problem was virtually eliminated. Over subsequent years, I stopped using the dryer sheets and even the d-con, resorting only to the Irish Spring and without exception, have found that it works like a charm. I cut the bars up into smaller pieces and place them strategically in and around the vehicle, i.e. one under the hood, one in the trunk, a couple inside on the floor mats, etc. I usually cut one bar into about five pieces and not only does that lessens the overall Irish Spring smell (which I don't mind anyway,) and still does the job nicely. Unless for some strange reason you cannot stand the smell of Irish Spring, give it a try. it's inexpensive, easy and, in my case, works like a charm.
    Wil Indiana November 27, 2013 at 16:20
    2 or 3 Hedge apples placed in open cottage cheese type containers works well for antique cars and campers as well
    dave Willoughby, Ohio November 27, 2013 at 16:23
    These electronic pest repellants seem to work for us - no mice, chipmunks, spiders. etc. I also use Bounce sheets. Used to have issues with mice and chipmunks - no more.
    Bob Moyer United States November 27, 2013 at 16:30
    Don't use D-Con in or near an RV I had my motor home in a storeage building and the owner of the building put out D-Con in the building.The mice made a nest under my bath tub and then brought in the D-Con to feed there babys so they all died under my built in bath tub. In the spring when I picked up my motor home I new I had dead mice the moment I steped in the door. What a mess and what a repair job I ended up with.
    Jason Estes Spokane, WA November 27, 2013 at 16:35
    I have always made sure to open the glove box on my '56 Bug. Mice love dark enclosed areas to nest. Opening the door will help prevent them from nesting inside.
    Bruce meintjies Florida November 27, 2013 at 16:39
    This year i was initiated by the attack of some mice in one of my where houses that I store some of my collection of automobiles so i went on line to Amazon.com and purchased a couple of six packs Bell & Howell Ultra Sonic small rodent repellers. Its quite simple just plug them into a wall outlet and no roaches or ants at all. I suppose the mice do not like the Sonic Sound also because they have gone. As for the Sound frequency I increased it by placing two units per room . come this spring I shall see if the wall one return to my stuf for breakfast . BRUCE M .
    Don Wilbanks Picayune, MS November 27, 2013 at 16:44
    I second the large, yellow bait pads on mouse traps, only instead of peanut butter I've found that a Certs breath mint glued to the bait pad works much better. Our mice learned how to lick the peanut butter off without tripping the trap. They bite that mint and tug, then bye bye mouse! Each mint lasts through several mice. We live on 10 acres in the country. My wife had a problem with her daily driver, a Honda Pilot. Mice got inside the a/c system and reproduced. The babies died in there. It was a mess that the dealer had to take care of. They chewed the wiring under the hood of my VW Passat too. Thankfully I was able to fix that. My garage is a metal building on a concrete slab. I've never found a trace of rodent activity in there. Yet....
    Sybil Davis,IL November 27, 2013 at 16:52
    After battling mice both in house and garage, I purchased electronic devises from the local Menards. Have not had a mouse or spider since I plugged them in. Have one on the lower level of the house, one one the main level, and two in the garage.(have a four car garage.) That was three years ago.
    Rod Diezman Ravenna, Oh November 27, 2013 at 17:00
    I thought the dryer sheet method sounded good and put them every place in my car. Then I noticed droppings on the back floor, and I had dryer sheets under all the seats. I have a bag that I carry with me that has clean supplies in it, such as detailing spray and micro fiber cloths,etc. I left the box of dryer sheets in the bag and in the spring I found a nest in the box. I guess the smell doesn't keep them away since they used some to help make the nest.
    Dave Massachusetts November 27, 2013 at 17:01
    I use glue traps under my car with a large glob of peanut putter in the center of each trap. The peanut butter smell is irresistible and it draws them to the trap. Once they set foot in the trap, its all over. The rotting corpse sink is outside of the car and easily disposed of later.
    Darren PEI Canada November 27, 2013 at 17:01
    Mice and rodents don't like oil. Not even a little. With a spray can I coat areas of the car with a product called "Fluid Film", which is lanolin based and/or Rust Check. Using the spray halfway up and all around each tire front and back as a barrier, the rodents would have to crawl through oil to gain access to any part of your vehicle. I also spray the axles, exposed frame and wheel wells, as well as other strategic areas including inside the trunk. Put up an oil barrier folks. It leaves no smell and I never saw a mouse that liked being around the stuff. It will keep them away while keeping your classic rust free. It's a double win!
    Andrew Maine November 27, 2013 at 17:03
    The best way to deter against mice is to block any entrance holes in the building with copper mesh and spray foam. Then set snap traps and glue boards around any doors or suspected openings. Can also hire an exterminator like Orkin to do this for you.
    Gary Miller NH November 27, 2013 at 17:12
    Read all comments and there are a few that seem to work for some but not others. I have a 76 2002 BMW and started using bounce dryer sheets. The moth balls as one person said smells for a long time. The sheets are pleasant to humans and I hope they don't loose their efectiveness for those little rascals.
    gary susie United States November 27, 2013 at 17:12
    Used d-con once never again. They spread it all over my car before it killed them. Used Irish Spring soap on motor home and never had any after that. Worked in my two cars too.
    Phil Warner NorthWest Arkansas November 27, 2013 at 17:22
    In our neck of the woods it is ground squirrels more than mice or rats that do the damage. I have used Irish Spring soap Under the seats of my Jaguar Series IIIs in the pole barn with some success and have never had a rancid soap smell that one gent mentioned; the original scent Irish Spring smells pretty good to me. Under the hood is another problem as the ground squirrels love to nest in the big space on top of an XK engine between the cam covers and shred the under bonnet insulation for their nests. They also find the space behind/beside the battery irresistible. I use bare Irish Spring bars in the valleys of the engines which helps some, and I learned to leave the bonnets up underneath a car cover to slow the insulation shredding, but I learned that too late for several of my cats. I like the idea of the low battery smoke alarm chirping as I know how annoying it is for humans so It may work for critters too. Maybe I'll put the low battery that i just changed back in and put the smoke alarm under the bonnet of my 87 XJ6. I haven't tried dryer sheets yet as the Irish Spring seemed to do a good job. You'd think with 6 cats of the 4 legged variety the wheeled ones would be safe from critters, but they still seem to thrive in the barn.
    Jim DaSilva Haverhill, MA November 27, 2013 at 17:25
    Moth balls don't work, tried them in my shed and the mice ate them and looks like they had a party. Will try the dryer sheets this year, hopefully good results.
    John Plainview, TX November 27, 2013 at 17:27
    I have been using a product called Cab Fresh. This is a bagged product I have been purchasing from my local John Deer Dealer for the past ten years or more. It has been successful in my airplane hanger (which is not a very well sealed building) and also in my 60 X 100 foot shop. The bag is something like a large tea bag and I place one on top of each tire. They are very herbal smelling and you probably don't want to put it inside the vehicle for the first 12 months or so, I learned that the hard way with my Cadillac Allante early on in their use. I also keep tom cat and decon poison around as well. Twenty years ago I had success with moth balls in an old wooden garage (I use moth flakes on my yard to keep the neighbors dogs from utilizing my yard for their bodily functions) I just don't like the lingering of the Moth Balls or Flakes around my vehicles. And then, I have never had much success with the dryer sheets in my motor home that was kept inside the hanger. These furry little creatures are very creative and durable just tying to stay alive and doing what they do best. So I am wishing you the very best of luck in protecting your toys!! John
    Frank Big Indian NY November 27, 2013 at 17:37
    I was told to sprinkle fox urine around your garage this will keep them out, if they are in side they will stay in
    jim hendrian Livonia, Michigan November 27, 2013 at 17:46
    Buy a car bag. The best investment I ever made to store my car.Never had a problem with any rodents since using one!
    Ralph Pettit Louisville,Ky November 27, 2013 at 17:47
    I keep the classic car in the garage with the cat litter box and we have small flapper door to go from house to garage, 3 cats 0 mice.
    Bruce South Dakota November 27, 2013 at 17:47
    I have tried several methods already mentioned, and found the ONE that works best for me is "Fresh Cab" rodent repellent. it has a pleasant smell is easy to use and economical. It is available at Menards , on line, and I'm sure many others places
    Gary Leduc Alberta Canada November 27, 2013 at 17:47
    Similiar to a couple of other comments, the noise makers are the best. We found it worked well to kept mice away from RV . We used the plug-in type. The noise is high pitch which you can hear if quiet, but it seems to keep the rodents away .
    Larry benton ks. November 27, 2013 at 17:48
    There is a product called One Bite, It is amazing. I get at the form co- op killed one just 6 inches from the bait LEATHEL!!
    Darwyn Proehl Greenfield Ind. November 27, 2013 at 17:49
    I have used all of the above to protect my Corvette and the best thing was putting down cyan pepper around my car on the floor. It seams that when they crawl through the ring of pepper it gets on there feet in there eyes and it burns. They avoid the area and the car is safe.
    Jack Weiszer Portage, Michigan November 27, 2013 at 17:58
    I can't believe no one has mentioned Assault. It is a green granular product like small pellets, that comes in small paper bags, maybe an ounce so each, 10 to a box. I put a half a bag in various spots around the pole barn, and the mice are gone. I put it in out of the way places so the dog and kitty can't get at it. It is intended for moles, and Assault does a hell of a job on them also. I've used it for years and it kills mice. I don't put it in the cars, but around the perimeter of the barn.
    Steve Mid-Hudson Valley, NY November 27, 2013 at 18:15
    I've tried traps and Bounce dryer sheets. The thing that works is the car bubble. It keeps out rodents, bugs and dust and seems to keep the humidity at manageable levels. I have both my '65 Corvair and my wife's '99 Miata in bubbles. My 4-year old grandson loves to push against the bubble and have it bounce back.
    charles champion hurst, texas November 27, 2013 at 18:23
    I have fought the mice and rats for years in my boats, cars, and rv's. 11 years ago I bought a 2 rat terriers, a male and a female. Plus, I have 5 of those Tomcat tunnel traps set out with poison. The rats still eat the poison but get goofy and look for water and that is when the dogs get them. Rat terriers can walk around a car or boat and tell if a rat has even been there. Plus, they are great squirrel dogs, don't eat much, very healthy, etc. Fabric sheets!! Save your money. A bucket with bait and water will work, but for me the dogs get them first.
    charles champion hurst, texas November 27, 2013 at 18:24
    Mario Sanzo Enfield CT November 27, 2013 at 18:26
    I have had similar experiences with mice like the other posts, until last year I found a product called mouse magic it's sold at Agway or you can order it on line it comes packaged in small packets that you put in your garage, car you name it, it has a strong spearmint smell, not to unpleasant. Since I started using this product the mice have avoided the shed, garage, so on. Like I said I have tried all the other remedies to now avail, this has worked.
    Michael Waters Pinetown NC November 27, 2013 at 18:26
    My 69 Z/28 Camaro emerged from an 18-month restoration this past spring, so I've had this topic on my mind much of the year. We live in a rural area surrounded by crop farm land, so rodents can be a real problem. I've been using an electronic pest repeller in my shop for nearly two years and it does seem to keep birds away. Haven't seen signs of mice in a while, but the crops were harvested earlier this week, so I'll know real soon. Recently, I ordered a 12-pack of "Fresh Cab Rodent Repellent" from a company called Earth-Kind. These are small bags (cachets) of natural wood chips scented with evergreen fir oil. I've put out about 6 bags around the shop and trusting this works well. Per the company, the effectiveness lasts about 90 days. At any rate, it's a pleasant odor (smells like Christmas already!) but you will have to pony up $59 for a dozen of these. And if all else fails, I do have a new Car Jacket enclosure. Once we get past car show season (AmeriCarna in NC Thanksgiving weekend!), I'll probably set up the Jacket. But I depending on it mostly as a guard against moisture during storage.
    Bruce Shearer Courtenay, BC, Canada November 27, 2013 at 18:29
    I use a little gizmo that plugs into an outlet next to my car in the garage. The gizmo emits a tone that mice don't like and it has worked very well for the past several years. Not only no mice in the car, but no mice in the garage!!
    Jan-Michael OREGON COAST November 27, 2013 at 18:38
    I started removing the back seats from my cars. The mice always build nests under there, that and plenty D-Con out of my cats reach, and my mouse problem is gone.
    DK Hoffman FLA./WIS. November 27, 2013 at 18:44
    Menards sells a product called mouse repellent, Comes with four little bags to a box. Smells kind of like pine needles. When summer comes it actually is a pleasant scent. Works for me, along with baggies over the exhaust pipes.
    Frank Boston November 27, 2013 at 18:49
    Purchase coyote urine spiked powder, place powder in small mesh bags(you can make bags from old panty-hose and rubber bands), and place in several locations in the vehicle. Critters of all types do not like coyotes.
    Steve Maki Detroit, MI November 27, 2013 at 18:51
    An abundance of Cats in the area will solve the problem. We have a lot of abandoned stray feral cats around here. I put out cat food for them occasionally, and they return the favor by leaving dead rodents in return, outside of the car. This is the "Look what the cat brung home" Strategy! They are ACTIVE hunters, much better than the PASSIVE solutions mentioned here. I have had zero rodent problems in either of my 2 stored classics! -From Engineer Steve.
    Steve Maki Detroit, MI November 27, 2013 at 18:52
    Fred Nissen VA November 27, 2013 at 19:14
    Mothballs work, but the car reeks of mothballs. Bounce fabric softener sheets sort of work, but their life expectancy is about three weeks. Fresh Cab available at Tractor Supply Co. and some John Deere dealers is great. Doesn't smell too bad to humans, but the mice apparently hate it.
    Bruce Alexander South Dakota November 27, 2013 at 19:27
    I find it hard to believe that Fresh Cab has not been mentioned before this. IT works! when used as directed. For less than 15 bucks you can protect most any car from rodents. It is a repellent! It should not be used with poisons or baits as they are meant to attract rodents. I have used it for several years and not had a rodent problem. By the way I have no connection with the Co.
    John Szymanowski North Central Iowa November 27, 2013 at 19:34
    I've had a Javelin in storage for years. When it was parked there was a little spray bottle of new car scent in the console. Sometime in it's early storage the top of the bottle disintegrated and the bottle leaked out in the console. The fakey new leather smell was pretty strong at first but I have never seen signs of mice in this car like I have in some of my others. I got some more new car scent to try this winter in other cars but it's not quite the same scent and I don't think i'll pour the whole bottle out. We'll see if it appears to work. Just my two cents.
    John C. Cargill Hanover Park Illinois November 27, 2013 at 19:34
    Store it in a warehouse infested with snakes like I do.
    Mick Levy Syracuse,NY November 27, 2013 at 19:46
    As chief starter at Watkins Glen I leave my camper outside year around. Tried drier sheets and mothballs they never worked and stink all year long. Finally some one told me about Bay leaves. They are cheap and I buy them in bulk. Haven't had a problem the last ten years in the camper, my 65 Barracuda in the garage or the Miata stored in another garage miles away from home.
    Greg Chicago IL November 27, 2013 at 19:50
    I had a project car stored, tried dryer sheets and mothballs by the tires, like a previous post, they were convenient toilet paper. next year did a combo of mothballs by the tires, and Irish Spring, sliced up into shavings in the engine bay and interior, and trunk. the shavings were placed on towels, pulled the towels next spring, car smells great and no damage. ... that worked the best for me.
    RobM northern NJ November 27, 2013 at 20:13
    I've used Irish Spring soap for years with some success: the rodents chew on it and move it around the garage, but they haven't bothered the cars. I'm going to try the dryer sheets and add some traps. Also, I'll plug the tailpipes with steel wool. Thanks to all for the tips.
    Don E Crandall United States November 27, 2013 at 20:55
    I have had success with GLUE BOARDS in combination with d-con and dryer sheets. The nice thing about the glue boards is that if a mouse does get into the car and gets on the board it dies and you know where it is.
    Lori N. Washington November 27, 2013 at 21:01
    I have the best solution. I keep my 1969 Camaro in the garage (parked in the middle of a single door double garage). My husband built a "cage" that we drive it into. We have cats whose litter boxes are kept in the garage (some use the garage to sleep in as well). The "cage" keeps the cats out and off the car and the cats keep the mice/rats out!
    John Marin County, CA November 27, 2013 at 21:13
    You people should switch to collecting vintage military vehicles. Armored ones in particular. My 1944 Ford M20 has wiring in steel conduits and braided metal hoses. Seat cushions? Not many of those. Bring on the vermin!
    Willy Milwaukee, WI November 27, 2013 at 21:21
    I use a little D-Con that I surround with sticky traps. If they get through the sticky traps to get to the D-Con they munch on the D-Con. The next time they try to get to the D-Con they're usually a little "Drunk" from the D-Con and they end up in the sticky traps were they die a miserable death. I place a couple of these traps around the garage and check at least once a week while the temperature is dropping in the fall to replace the sticky traps of the dead mice.
    Sooty Bob Maryville, IL November 27, 2013 at 21:28
    My 23 T is fired up at least twice a week & the 64 Elkey is a driver. I've never seen a critter in my upholstery shop by simply having a radio playing 24-7. Mice hate old rock & roll. try it.
    Michael Muller United States November 27, 2013 at 21:36
    I prefer the dryer sheets and then if necessary mothballs. I hate the poisons because the mice either die inside the car or in and around the storage building and that can sure raise a stink if there are a few or more dead mice. One winter I tried using a sticky fly paper type substance that is sold in hardware stores and big box stores as a mouse trap. The amazing thing with these types of "flypaper" is that it literally stopped mice dead in their tracks....but some of the mice "after they were caught" managed to leave all four feet stuck to the pad and they then "walked off" on their stubby shortened legs. That's just too ugly to think about how that phenomenon could actually occur...so the best method seems to be something that repels the little critters. That's why I think the dryer sheets are the best.
    Glen lethbridge AB Canada November 27, 2013 at 21:38
    I have a 1969 Chrysler Imperial, and the only way I have found is a de-commissioned sea can. We are surrounded by fields and next door is a seed cleaning plant! A very effective and reasonably priced option for a toy/investment.
    Aaron Egan Illinois November 27, 2013 at 21:38
    I have used cheap dollar store dryer sheets with good success (most years.) Car used to be stored in a machine shed at the farm, no heat or insulation in sight, but gaps under the sliding doors large enough for a small child to roll under. Two years ago the little pests (mice not rolling children) enjoyed the fresh smell enough to invite their friends over for the winter. Good by drier sheets, hello new carpets and headliner. Last year and this winter I have kicked my wife's daily driver out of the home garage. No rodent issues, just an angry wife. Thought about trying the moth balls just can't find the right sized tweezers to spread their tiny legs...any suggestions?
    Clem Brown Southeastern CT November 27, 2013 at 22:48
    I’ve been storing collector cars for some 35+ years now and have tried all the mentioned ideas: traps, dryer sheets, mothballs, poisons, mint, etc., and none of them have worked. You should know that mice can crawl through a ¼ inch opening, can jump up to 18 inches high and can climb vertically up almost all but the smoothest surfaces. There is really no practical way to physically keep them out of your garage or your car. Bagging the car might work but they can also chew through most anything as well. And it is difficult to work on a bagged car if that’s a concern. The only thing I’ve found that works are ultrasonic pest repellers, similar to the ‘mouseblocker’ mentioned above. You can buy inexpensive plug-in models at Walmart as well as most hardware stores. I bought two packages of three Sunbeam brand repellers for under $20 and installed them in electrical outlets over my cars and along each side of my garage. Since installing them 10+ years ago I have not seen any signs of mice. I am so confident in their performance I even store my birdseed in the garage now with no problems. These repellers use very little electricity and work best in an unfinished area as they rely on the signal bouncing off hard surfaces like walls and hard floors. And the more you can use and aim in different directions, the better. They also make more expensive battery operated models (found on Amazon.com) which can be used if electricity is not available.
    Dobie Minnesota November 27, 2013 at 23:03
    Tin foil under each tire and bent up a couple of inches like a bucket. They don't like the feel or the slick surface.
    mike geffon rock tavern ny November 27, 2013 at 23:07
    I tried everything I could think of to keep mice out of my cars and shed and nothing worked. best to not worry about it and fix and clean up in the spring.
    Steve Michigan November 27, 2013 at 23:12
    Small caps of antifreeze placed behind the tires seems to work great for me....
    Ray Denver Colorado November 27, 2013 at 23:18
    I found a product developed by a Farmer to protect her machinery and trucks from Rodent damage of stored vehicles. The product is "FRESH CAB" and can be purchased at many Farm Supply stores . It comes in packets and has some residual smell that will disappear after airing out the vehicle. BEST USE .....is to set it out in the storage space and not in your car. Product info www.earth-kind.com or freshcab.com.
    Susan dallas November 27, 2013 at 23:31
    Just do something. The last thing you want is to go out to your "cool car" and find out that the little rats have pooped and peed all over your $30k car. Or worse, your $80k car! It will make you sick and really mad. So just do something!
    Richard Delburne Alberta November 27, 2013 at 23:34
    go to the locale RV store they have many different types of repellents I use one called " mouse rid " non toxic comes in a gold bag inside are 8 small mesh bags that have very little smell to you or I but the mice hate it not so much as a turd near my car or tent trailer and it doesn't poison the other animals in my yard
    Douglas Pike Fort Calhoun,ne. November 27, 2013 at 23:38
    I've used the small green blocks ,be cause they cause rapid decomp,but I also use bounce,and its stored in a temperature controlled storage center that has pest control company,come tru once a month.My car is 98% original and great interior,body,have all paperwork down to the sribble sheets figuring out the sale price new.my younger brother bought it new and left it to me in his will.
    Philip D. Collins Northern NY State November 28, 2013 at 13:14
    I've seen some folks take a bucket and put a stick,(ramp) on it, extending over to the middle of the open end. Other end goes to floor. Bait is put at end of ramp over the barrel, and some oil is put on this top end of the ramp too. This stick is hinged on the top of the bucket. Mouse goes up ramp for the bait, then slips and falls, or the stick, (ramp) teeter totters down at the top and the mouse falls in the bucket. This works well in the garage or place that you store your car. For my camper, I've removed the batteries, and without power the smoke detectors chirp. I don't know how that will work. I've caught mice in the traps that they have to enter entirely, and tried not make contact with the traps with my hands. Those work great, but need to be checked often. I've used dryer sheets...that didn't work, perhaps I didn't use enough of them.
    Paul Volkmar Chuckey,Tn. November 28, 2013 at 14:59
    I have a 1970 Chevelle SS,396,4-speed.I use the same technique I use for my RV.Vacuum entire car and make sure there is no food anywhere.Then cover entire interior with old sheets and then sprinkle whole cloves on top of the sheets.In the trunk and engine compartment just sprinkle on floor and on top of air cleaner.It seems the rodents hate the smell and won't stick around.In the spring just vacuum up and the smell,which isn't bad ,will disapate in short time.This method has worked for me for years.
    Richard Fabian Cottonwood , Az. November 28, 2013 at 15:09
    Puleeze DO NOT use DeCon or the like as the critters will go looking for water outside and may be picked up by a predator as a hawk , fox or even the family dog or cat . This will spell disaster for them also . These poisons are often grain based and will act in attracting more critters . Here in AZ we have pack rats and the best way I have found in dealing with them is the old fashioned rat trap and peanut butter . Actually , if I could get my mother-in-law to stand around my classic everything would stay away .
    Jim Kraenzel Bozeman Montana November 28, 2013 at 15:35
    Nothing works like a zippered bag available at carbag.com. Expensive but worth it. Drive your car onto it, pull the top over and zip it up, no mice.
    Jo Ellettsville, IN November 28, 2013 at 04:32
    Thomas B. Deardorff in Texas 76065: I would strongly suggest you insure your car with Hagerty Insurance Co. I had a 1970 Ford Torino Fairlane 500 for 18 years and was insured with them. It only cost me a little over $100.00 per year (but I also added tow in to the policy, which made it about $25.00 +). This was all per "year" and total, full coverage on the vehicle. I would suppose that it may be based on the value of your car. But I don't think you will find any Insurance Co. as reasonable as Hagerty. Thats what they do, insure old, antique, classic cars. Your on their site, so give them a call and talk to an Insurance Agent at: 800-922-4050 or get an online quote. Personally, I would rather talk to a human being. Some Insurance companies offer Hagerty Insurance, if they deal with different companies, rather than just one. But, I would call Hagerty myself. If the value of your vehicle goes up you can let them know and your premium would probably be adjusted accordingly. I don't know this for sure, how they rate your Premiums. I just know that mine was very low, per year, even after adding the tow-in to my policy. Hope this helps you, if you haven't found an Insurance Co. yet for your car.
    Tom Accomando Holyoke MA November 28, 2013 at 05:24
    My mechanic recommends placing a bucket with a holes drilled on each end of the rim then place a steel / metal rod through the holes. Place a small dab of peanut butter in the center of the rod. Put an inch or so of antifreeze in the bottom of the bucket. The peanut butter will coax the mouse to the center of the tube and he should slip off into the antifreeze below and drown.
    Ol' Bill Northern California November 28, 2013 at 17:48
    I have lived in the mountains of California's Coast Range at around 3,000' elevation for close to 25 years... Field mice have always been a problem... Traps, both the Victor type and an electronic "Rat Zapper" plus electronic noise makers and DeKon only did a marginal job at keeping them at bay... Constant vigilance was always required... Then last fall a couple of pack rats came to join the party and promptly got into the wiring of my wife's Toyota Avalon, chewing off the input wires to the cars coils and apparently short circuiting the cars ECM as it would only fire on 5 cylinders... I ended up having to have the ECM replaced... Meantime I put the Rat Zapper under the Toyota's hood... Within hours it killed two hefty pack rats... I talked to our local farm supply people about the troubles I was having and they recommended a bait called "Just One Bite"... It came in what looked like "pressed sticks" made of seeds and the like, which I broke into 1"-2" lengths and put under the car hoods and trunks, and around my shop where our pets couldn't get to it... It took about a week but since then we have had almost -0- sign of rodents... Our motor home was always infested with the things... "Just One Bite" was placed in areas where their droppings were found... We have had -0- rodents in there either... There is sign under the hood of an outdoor car and truck that there have been mice gnawing at the Just One Bite, which shows they are still around... But as long as they are gnawing at that stuff it apparently keeps their population such that my shop and cars are mouse free... Last thought: Visit this link to see a dandy, self resetting mousetrap that besides making you giggle, really works: http://fellowshipofminds.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/redneck-mousetrap1.gif
    Robert Gross Manchester Ky November 28, 2013 at 18:18
    The best way I've found to keep mice is a poison called Just One Bite. You have to go to a farm store to get it. It comes in hard bar form. Scatter a few around the building and one in the car. It usually kills them before they get in the car and the eat fast.
    Bob Phoenix, Az November 28, 2013 at 18:31
    I used to live in Minnesota and the mice would always look for a place in the fall of the year. I started using moth balls but the smell in the spring was overwhelming. I then switched to bounce sheets. I take a pair of OLD socks and stick a brillo pad into the sock and jam that up the tail pipe. Thus far, In AZ, I haven't parked the car long enough to have to worry about it, but I LEAVE bounce sheets in the trunk and under the seats. When I come back from the cruise during the hot weather I open the hood and turn on a big box fan in front of the radiator. A "native Arizonian" taught me that trick. It helps to keep the carb from warping.
    Kyle Koeper Midwest November 28, 2013 at 07:03
    Car-Capsule... zip it and forget it. In the spring it's dry and dust free plus it's protected from falling/flying objects. Used it for years and love it. I have no affiliation with this company, just a satisfied customer.
    jerry Plant city Fl. November 28, 2013 at 19:52
    Big problem here are the frogs, Have no idea how they get into the car but often jump and squirt nasty liquid when a door is opened. Also ants are a big problem. Nothing like driving along and having fire ants on your ankle.
    R.B. Kwit NYC November 28, 2013 at 19:59
    Cab seems to work
    SHAWN Montana November 28, 2013 at 20:59
    We couldn't keep mice out. We tried mothballs, bounce, air fresheners with no avail. A product called Cab Fresh has worked so far. We ended up putting 18inch metal flashing standing surronding the entire vehicle. This Works@!
    Mike Gustin Harrisburg. Pa November 28, 2013 at 21:53
    I have a 1957 Intl Firetruck- I've been using Cayenne Pepper on newspapers on the floor everytime I put it in the garage- the mice-chimpmunks-even black snakes burn there feet and bellies---quick exit for water! Forget about tearing up the interior! I put cardboard sheets down-back onto them- sprikle. The Cayenne Pepper around and they all stay out!!!
    Randy Briggs Smithsburg Md. November 28, 2013 at 09:54
    I use patchouli oil on small pieces of towels and moth balls. I've had really good luck with that combination also I use Jawz brand mouse traps the are made by Tom Kat and have a small cup that takes a gel that attracts mice and the gel last all winter. Where I store my trucks they are very good about rodent control.
    Dave WI November 28, 2013 at 10:03
    I have used large stick traps with peanut butter in the middle and leave them along the walls as a back up to my drier sheets and some moth balls and they work very well
    ED Balzano new york November 28, 2013 at 10:33
    moth balls the Best buy at dollar store. used them for years in a car port where all kinds of animales can get in and they never go in the car port. throw them around on the out side of car . used them to get rodentes out of atics sheds. smells like gradmars closets but get ride of problem fast
    mike andrus Allegan, michigan November 28, 2013 at 10:36
    I got a car capsule for my birthday when I restored our first car six years ago and have not had any mice in the car. I bought anther one for our second car four years ago and no mice there either. They don't seem to like the noise the fans make. They aren't cheap but I don't have mothball smell in my cars. My friend got one and had no mice in the winter but he left it laying on his barn floor all summer and mice chewed holes in it.
    Gary Door county, Wisconsin November 28, 2013 at 10:49
    Electronic devices, soap, snap traps, sticky traps and moth balls haven't worked for me. We store several cars, a couple of planes, trailers and a Motorhome in northern Wisconsin at locations that get and stay well below freezing for many months. Some locations don't have electric available. Buildings can't be sealed up and there are times that I can't check on the items for a couple of weeks at a time. The worst of all conditions. Dryer sheets have helped, but the best solution has been The Michigan Trap. It is passive, can be left for weeks on end and still be affective, won't hurt pets and leave no odor of the bait or deceased mice. I set several of them in the barn/hangar/farm house and eve one inside the Motorhome. They are not commercially available, but easily assembled by any "gear head" worth his salt. You will need: An empty 5 gallon plastic bucket, wooden or plastic dowel a bit longer than the diameter of the bucket, empty Blatz beer can, a stick long enough to go from the ground to the top of the bucket at a gradual slope, a gallon of RV/plumbers antifreeze and peanut butter. Feel free to make substitutions as you may feel are appropriate. Drill holes toward the top of the bucket on opposite sides to put the dowel thru. Put a hole in the top and bottom of the Blatz can for the dowel to go thru. The Blatz can is positioned in the center of the bucket so it spins on the dowel. The antifreeze goes into the bucket and the peanut butter (I prefer creamy style, it spreads easier on the bottle and approach stick). The theory is that the mouse finds the approach stick with peanut butter on it, eats it and works his way up the stick, gets onto the soda bottle covered with peanut butter, eats, spins off, lands in the antifreeze and is pickled there untill it is scooped out at you convenience. I have gotten as many as 12 at a time. Works good for me under the worst conditions that I can imagine. Good luck. Gary
    Chuck Nordby Minn. November 28, 2013 at 23:16
    A friend of mine says mice used drier sheets to make a nest. Too bad no one has a really good definite answer to the mice problem. So far I use mouse poison and traps but check them often when it's warm. In the winter the cold keeps any smell down from dead mice. And if some of you think cayenne pepper works because " Their feet get hot" go ahead and start laughing at yourself and answer why they walked right through a ring of it to eat poison bait in the center, when I tested it. Yes I like to have proof.There's too many "experts" that do NOT have accurate information that is based against a good control group that proves their point. Poison and traps work. Anything else is less effective.
    Myron Lincoln NE November 28, 2013 at 23:26
    I have been using a product called FRESH CAB and have been pleased with the results. I buy it at farm stores. . It has an evergreen odor.
    Joe Failla Cixsackie, NY November 28, 2013 at 11:27
    I have tried drier sheets, peppermint oil and mothballs to no avail. This year I have placed freshly cut split cedar logs underneath and inside the car as well as a pan with amonia in it under the car. So far so good, even the traps baited with peanut butter are empty.
    DAVID DE WALT Albuquerque,New Mexico November 28, 2013 at 11:58
    This trap was one the guys had me empty out at a deer camp in Wisconsin. Add antifreeze 5" in a 5 gallon plastic bucket that has a beer can smeared with peanut butter and a wire running threw the center length wise. Stiff welding rod or like.Then into the the sides of the bucket with the wire near the top.The bucket has a notched 2x4 hanging on the lip.It will take a bit of time to set up, but I will attest to having to strain several mice out of the anti-freeze. Just deep enough to drown the mice and catches a lot more without having to re-bait and check all the time.
    Sean Lougheed Western Canada November 29, 2013 at 13:36
    We moved out to the country in 1998 and found we lived in very dense mouse country. My 1968 GTO convertible was ravaged in one season. The interior was chewed out from the undersides, wiring nibbled and a much appreciated seized matching numbers engine due to mouse pee on 2 pistons. Long story short. Total restoration again. Advise: 1. Don’t underestimate the damage possible. They work fast and the stink is not removable without changing the interior. 2. All the above remedies like bounce sheets etc. do not work especially for longer periods or once mice have gotten in and made their own smell. Subsequent cars proved that. (thankfully just some parts cars). Poison just seems to help the carcass count hidden under your seat upholstery. What does work: Physical barriers: Check your car for holes leading to the interior and make sure your heater is set to “recirculate” this closes off their main entrance path. I stored a Chevette for several winters outside and this kept them out of the interior. Lift the car up onto jack stands. I welded up 4 out of plate and 4 inch pipe. 18 inches high. Sand blasted and painted they are too high and too slick for them to climb. And leave room enough to make sure they can't jump from nearby shelves, bushes etc. This is a pain getting a car up that high and lead to the following…. Mouse proofing the building is the only sure way: sounds hard but faster and cheaper than fixing the car. This can be done with calking foam tape, or getting a spray foam guy to come by and do the base of the ole Quonset. Buy a shipping container as it easy to mouse proof. It also offers greater security for outside storage as well as making you an instant garage in the great outdoors. Check the car often and good luck to all winning this battle.
    Arnold Perrin Union ME November 29, 2013 at 15:34
    I have tried moth balls, drier sheets, bags of pet dander, bags of a substance impregnated with mint oil, dishes of brake fluid, etc. None of these even slowed them down! The only thing that works are traps.
    Glen Yakel Maplewood, MN November 29, 2013 at 17:31
    Hardware stores in the midwest carry a product called "Mouse Magic" which are smallish paper-wrapped packets of peppermint and spearmint crystals. I put one on a plastic plate under the car and another on a plate inside the car. The mint smell repells the rodents, but does not leave any lingering odor.
    Steve Callahan Fla November 29, 2013 at 18:20
    Have used a product available on-line for two years now with success. It is called "Shake-Away" critter repellent. It is a powdery substance with a combo of peppermint oils and fox/wolf/predator urine. I put it in small fabric balls made with panty-hose and a tie-wrap. For extensive infestations I sprinkle the stuff on carpet mats that can be vacuumed or washed later. I may try a few dryer sheets too just to piss the little buggers off more. Thanks all for the tips.
    Linda Bower Traverse City November 29, 2013 at 07:06
    Try some whole cloves (and yes I am talking the kind you would put in a ham when you bake it). We have used these for years in cars, campers, boats and at our Sugar Bush. I do not find the smell offensive. We try to buy the cloves at the flea market or in bulk. I mentioned Sugar Bush - we keep sleeping bags in the building for use when it gets cold at night. We have never had mice in the sleeping bag as long as we rolled it up with cloves.
    Allan Front Royal, VA November 29, 2013 at 20:06
    There's a new product out called "FreshCab Botanical Rodent Repeller". There was a story about it on the web and how it was developed. Apparently very good for mice and rodents. I have a two-car detached garage and have two antique cars in it. When I bought the house, I loaded up the garage with about a dozen electronic rodent repellers - some plug-in's and some connected to a transformer. I've owned the house for 9 years now and I've never had a mouse in the garage! I've never found any mouse tracks or nests, no chewed anything. No carcasses. I know, it's amazing an I almost don't believe it myself. do I have mice around the garage? Two years ago, a kitty came into our lives. She's a great mouser and I see her out by the garage mousing. No question I have mouse but I guess the electronic things work. Maybe the secret is plug them into every outlet not it use in your garage. Allan
    Larry Michigan November 29, 2013 at 08:14
    Where can you buy desiccant for car jackets?
    Ron Cedar MI November 29, 2013 at 09:41
    I tried dryer sheets. Not Bounce. Maybe that was the Hagerty paid my claim to redo the interior of my 72 Vette. The driyer sheets made very comfortable nests all over the car. I'm back to mothballs.
    Myron Lincoln NE November 29, 2013 at 10:11
    I have been pleased with a product called "FRESH CAB" It has an evergreen odor. Manufactured by Crane Creek Gardens, Stanley ND phone number 800-583-2921 web site is: cranecreekgardens.com I buy it at farm stores and have used it for about 4 years.
    Denise Clumpner NE Wisconsin November 29, 2013 at 10:18
    I have six collector cars in a large heated steel building here in Wisconsin. I agree with the folks who say that the time to nip this is right away in the fall when the temperatures are falling. I NEVER use poison, as we enjoy the birds and other creatures here and a dying/poisoned mouse may be consumed by another that you do not want to die a horrible death (including our neighbor's cat, who does a great job of mousing for us!) First, do not keep newspapers, old car show flyers, napkins, or anything else in your car that mice can use to build a nest. Empty consoles and glove compartments, and yes even those nifty optional tissue boxes too. Remove any items that may retain a scent of food (coolers you use for car shows in the summer, etc.) as those might invite unwelcome guests. Also, keep all brush and grass mowed for at least twenty feet or so around your building, so you destroy or at least diminish the amount of habitat you provide for mice. Get rid of anything that might provide them with shelter, such as piles of old wood, pipes, etc. Another important thing we found out the hard way is make sure any car you bring into the fold is free of mice! We purchased a '67 GTO that had been sitting in a body shop for 13 years, and it came with its own little batch of visitors. We ended up replacing a headliner out of it, plus are still battling the smell after five years. Also, be careful of the sticky mice traps; we once had a garter snake get caught in one, and couldn't get him loose.....unfortunately we had to destroy him. We want the snakes around as they also do a great job of helping with the mouse population. Dryer sheets are a MUST. We try other things, like the mint leaves but they dry out after a few weeks. You can plant them around your building, but they are very invasive, and of course, useless during the winter. We buy the huge plastic bags of dryer sheets, and use them generously. And a word to the wise......NEVER EVER store your beautiful collector car on a farm, in an old farm building, or in a barn. Farms are for animals. Proper storage is worth the extra money, and in the long run, will save you money.
    Denise Clumpner NE Wisconsin November 29, 2013 at 11:00
    I have six collector cars in a heated metal building in Wisconsin, and one very important thing you must do is keep the grass, brush, and anything that provides habitat for mice AWAY from your building. Don't leave firewood piled up, or if you have a burn pile nearby, keep it from sitting too long. We do not use anything poisonous here, as there are too many other creatures that feed on mice and we do not want to kill snakes or owls, etc. I agree with the posting that said you must take care of these issues as it is turning cold, and mice are looking for someplace warm to nest. We always use dryer sheets; we have tried other things like the mint leaves, but the dryer sheets work best. Empty your cars and building of items that provide materials for mice to build with, such as newspapers, tissues, paper towels, etc. Remove anything that had food in it, because the scent can remain especially with canvas coolers that you might use for car shows. Empty gloveboxes, consoles, and even those nifty optional tissue dispensers. And a word to the wise: NEVER EVER store your car at a farm, in a farm building or in a barn. Farms are for animals. Spend the extra money to store your beautiful collector vehicle properly, and save yourself money and heartache later. And, if all else fails, GET A CAT!!!! ")
    Marv Ayers Rockford MI November 29, 2013 at 11:48
    I have been at war with them for ever.(over 40 years) Repellants are one way to keep them out-I found the best thing to do is HUNT THEM DOWN traps victor metal pan with a small piece of nut meat wedged in it works great, screw a few traps to a small board and set all at once. Increases odds of success greatly. set on the ground near front tires.Happy hunting!!!Marvelous Marv
    Dr Madeline Zak New Jersey & Vermont November 29, 2013 at 00:47
    I have read all of the methods concerning mice. BOUNCE is the answer!. Nothing dies on it. They just don't like the smell.Have to lay them out close on fabric. They will urinate on an uncovered spot, I guess trying to get away from the BOUNCE. Maybe they're "thumbing their nose" at us! After most of my house pets had passed on, I turned to Decon.It works, but I have bodies that didn't quite make it out the door to water, which is what they seek after ingesting the Decon.Recently used Decon in another setting, and the visitor (don't know if it was the same one) ate the whole tray. Put in another and that went too. I've seen them store the pebbles for another meal. BOUNCE still wins first place. When the smell fades, and it lasts a season, it is as clean as when you put it down, and can still be used as a fabric softener in your dryer. I learned about it from a farmer friend in Vermont who uses it in his horse barn to keep the critters out. Have told several patients about it, and they have all become loyalists when the weather turns cold and the mice are looking for a warm home.
    bill peterson oregon November 30, 2013 at 02:42
    When animals are poisoned they seek out water. If you are going to use poison, put a water source away from everything. The animal will die in the water as it is drinking. Easy recovery and disposal
    Chris Crows Landing CA. November 30, 2013 at 20:26
    We have 4 outdoor Cats continuously on patrol very little mice and rat trouble they deliver headless body's on the poarch
    giesel United States December 1, 2013 at 15:08
    Best way to keep mice and rats out (and all bugs) is to purchase a "Car Jacket". They work PLUS keep the car spotless while stored.
    Rick Winchester MA December 1, 2013 at 15:21
    Has anyone used "Fresh Cab" packets? I have read some good reports on some forums. I ordered some on Amazon and will try them. Drier sheets have also been effective, but I have seen more activity this year. Chipmunks???
    Dan Ohio December 1, 2013 at 16:23
    I use the original Irish Spring soap in several classic cars every year. I put it in the tail pipe , all four tires, around the engine especially in the intake of the breather, and underneath the seats. Works great! Smell leaves after a few days when you remove the soap in the spring. A small price to pay for never worrying about mice again.
    Michelle Oregon December 1, 2013 at 17:01
    Cats. I have three barn cats and no mice now. Moth balls ok. Dryer sheets: we found mouse nests MADE of dryer sheets, so that was of limited effectiveness. Don't cover the cars; that works too. Activity: one of our storage buildings is also the workshop, and mice don't seem to hang around when you're frequently running the compressor, moving cars and parts, painting, etc. We store over thirty cars in multiple buildings and the best solution has been cats.
    J Utica ny December 1, 2013 at 08:04
    There is no substitute for setting traps and checking them weekly. Then I put dryer sheets in the cars. I put moth balls around the perimeter of the barn as kind of a wall to help keep them away. I would never put moth balls in the car. The smell takes way too long to leave especially in the short central NY driving season.
    Bill Southern California December 1, 2013 at 21:14
    I had rats and mice that relentlessly built nests in my engine and bit up the electrical wires. I have tried everything including peppermint oil, sticky traps, and poison. The only thing that worked for me is placing plastic fake owls on the floor completely around the outside of my house, and adding extra ones by the garage and the garage doors. The mice and rats do not even attempt to get near them. It's been working beautifully for the last 8 years. The best part is that there is nothing to clean up or refill because the rats and mice don't come near my house or cars anymore.
    Jeff Coopersville, MI December 1, 2013 at 11:05
    I have 2 of Mother Natures perfectly designed rodent killers (cats) as permanent residents in my barn. Never had a rodent problem keeping my 1973 Plymouth GTX or Mint condition 1986 Chevy Beauville Van in the barn. Neighbors love them too as they have commented on how the cats are on mouse patrol in their out buildings also, keeping their motorhomes and campers rodent free. You will need a good car cover to protect your paint job as this type of rodent control likes to climb up and lay on your vehicle.
    Keith B NY December 2, 2013 at 09:16
    Keep all the critters out: crawling insects, mice, rats, you name it, with hydrated lime. Buy it by the bag at your local farm supply store. Hydrated lime is ground very fine like talcum powder. Spread a 6 inch wide 1/4 inch deep swath of it around the entire building. The lime is base, caustic, and burns live tissue, so wear gloves and don't breath the dust. Pets stay clear since they can smell it. My dad used it on our dairy farm and it never failed. Make sure the building is clear of the rodent or they can't leave. My 64 GTO dragster has been safe and sound since 1985. A bag costs about 3 to 4 bucks and goes a long ways. Good luck and stay tuned. You'll run better!
    Phil Warner NorthWest Arkansas December 2, 2013 at 10:05
    Tim Kansas City December 3, 2013 at 14:46
    Dryer sheets DO NOT work to keep mice out. That's a myth that needs to end.
    Vern Bottineau ND December 3, 2013 at 17:20
    I use "Fresh Cab." 4 pouches of the product come in each box, they smell terrific and work well to repel the little varmints. I put two in the interior, 1 under the hood, one in the trunk and one on top of the tires. Believe me, you will love the smell of the inside of your vehicle come spring when it is time to cruise!
    Scott michigan December 3, 2013 at 09:11
    Try using moth balls. Take an old tube sock and put some moth balls in them, then place them around the car, won't have to be in the car. Put them in the wheel wells, and can also tie them under engine compartment. I have use this on my car and my snowmobile, it has worked well. I do live in Michigan and in the country.
    Ed Pennsylvania December 3, 2013 at 21:54
    Circle each tire with vertical aluminum flashing, clipping the ends together at the top and bottom. Mice can not get to the tires to climb into the car and you can quickly remove it any time you want to cruise. The car must be on a perfectly flat floor since the mice will get under the aluminum if even a small gap exists.
    mike ia December 4, 2013 at 19:03
    CATS
    John Miller Iowa December 4, 2013 at 09:13
    Really...I like the dryer sheet idea...but D-Con is useless. First make sure there is no food in the car-fast food droppings-gum-candy- etc. I mix corn meal and Portland cement about 50/50 and place jar lids near the wheels, not in the car. The rodents feed on this and very quickly dehydrate(which also helps keep them dry after their demise-no smell) This is 100% effective and will not harm your dog or cat. And it is very cheap to make.
    Jeremy fuson Celina Ohio December 4, 2013 at 23:58
    The best thing we have found to keep mice out is called cab fresh.Its little pouches of something that gives off a smell that's not bad for humans but mice hate it.If u have a mouse in the car it will leave its great stuff. It's sold at menards,ace,and rural king and prob more.
    Bob Djurich Indiana December 28, 2013 at 10:36
    All of these are pretty good, I have used a product by a company in Michigan City , Indiana. REXFORD RAND..they have a product called "DEO- GRAINS" that is awesome. Sprinkle some around the car and no critter will walk through it, smells like a cherry mothbal but I found it was made for removing noxious odors. D-Con is good if you're not around any dogs or worry about a hawk snagging a mouse that is full of D-Con. Could be lethal for them.
    Toni Shrewsbury, PA December 30, 2013 at 09:05
    Pepperment oil is good for keeping mice away and it smells refreshing also. Mice do not like the smell.
    Jim Detroit January 10, 2014 at 21:28
    Don't use poison. I did once, mouse died inside my seat stuffing. Never got the funk out. Sold the car.
    Matt CT February 12, 2014 at 22:11
    I have a detached garage and leave a radio on 24/7...Never a problem. I don't think they like the music.
    Jimmy AZ February 13, 2014 at 22:49
    I had no idea that mice were such a problem when it came to storing cars. Do they usually get to the interior, or do they stay in the engine compartment, or somewhere else? I think that if I had one, I would probably see about getting some professional extermination done. - azext.com
    John Wimauma, Fl April 11, 2014 at 18:05
    recently retired as a tech working for a Lexus dealer in Fl. Saw lots of rodent damage, especially in vehicles left idle for months by snow birds. I always recommended dryer sheets or Irish spring soap. I kept a box of dryer sheets in my tool box and placed the sheets in any vehicle where I found rodent evidence. Avoid leaving food in the car, rodents are very fond of using insulation for nesting material and chewing on wiring harnesses.
    Jose Rosario Florida April 14, 2014 at 21:17
    Keep an Eastern Diamond back Rattler in your Garage in the cold season and Problem solved.
    Lee NH April 15, 2014 at 17:23
    I have a 76 2002 that we bought new in Germany. Consequently, I have tried many solutions to the mouse storage problem over the years. The best and only one that has worked, and actually smells great when you drive, is Fresh Cab. They are herbal packets that I found at ACE for about $15 for 4 packs – not the cheapest, just the most successful. I keep them in the car year round because I love how they make my car smell, and in NH mice don't take summer vacations. Moth balls and Bounce are both made of toxic chemicals, so breathing them is neither good for you, nor the mice – I may not want them in my car, but I don't wish them to die of cancer either!
    Luke Stefanovsky West Branch, Michigan April 15, 2014 at 07:18
    During the winter, I keep my '48 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup (5-window deluxe) in a zippered vinyl car bag. The vehicle is completely enclosed, and it also rests on jack stands. It sits in cold storage from November - April. It is put away nice and clean, and emerges from its winter nap just as nice.
    Bill Lancaster Severn, MD April 15, 2014 at 07:31
    I lived in AZ for 20 years and the pack rats did a number on my 1968 Dodge Coronet interior and my 1982 Corvette. These things are huge so killing them takes effort. I never had problems as long as I had cats but that brought the coyotes and then when the cats disappeared the rats came back. I wish I had tried the dryer sheet thing before they destroyed my cars.
    Chuck Nickel Tucson, AZ April 15, 2014 at 19:33
    We have pack rats which can be even more destructive than mice. If they have already begun feasting on your vehicle, especially under the hood, try spraying the area every day with straight PineSol. It will break up the urine trails that mice follow. It has worked on two cars we park outside.
    fred debros mass April 15, 2014 at 07:37
    traps: glue traps inside a 4in plastic pipe. dcon poisons them then nthey go die in the upholstery.eek. now the ultimate question: how to get the smell out? I had snakes die in the ac tubes! smelly!
    Lane Lakeville, MN April 20, 2014 at 22:05
    Cats. Two farm cats. Dale, the fella that owns the pole barn has his repair shop in the heated half, and lets his two cats have the run of the whole place. He lets them in and out of the unheated car storage area once or twice a day. We have never seen an active mouse or mouse damage, nor has Dale mentioned any. The cat catch 'em and play with 'em for a while before they eat 'em. The mice come in during the first cooler days of fall and continue to arrive into the colder days, and look for a spot to spend the winter. After winter really sets in, the mice influx stops. We got the dryer sheets and some commercial mouse pepperminty stuff too, but those two cats have been doing a fine job. They haven't had a mouse problem that I have seen or heard of in the four years I have stored my car at Dale's place.
    Midnight Ron sodak June 24, 2014 at 18:54
    Cats work really well. Just make sure they are hungry before you put them in the car(I recommend starving him/her for at least four days). Then once the mouse is caught you can easily dicard the cat(I recommend drowning).
    bounce house insurance united states September 16, 2014 at 02:06
    Thanks for any other great article. Where else may anyone get that kind of info in such a perfect method of writing? I have a presentation subsequent week, and I’m at the search for such info.
    bounce house insurance www.bounce-house-insurance.com September 23, 2014 at 08:11
    This design is incredible! You most certainly know how to keep a reader entertained. Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own blog (well, almost...HaHa!) Great job. I really enjoyed what you had to say, and more than that, how you presented it. Too cool!
    Judy Woodstock, NY October 3, 2014 at 01:18
    I moved here (Catskills) 3 years ago. Every winter the mice build nests in the car's ventilation system. This year, they chewed through part of the air filter housing. The mechanics at my dealer recommend Bounce sticks (a semi-solid, comes in a plastic caddy) in my glove compartment. Hope it works! At least they won't make nests out of it. I don't love the smell, but it's tolerable. Might try putting my used cat litter around the garage... maybe it won't be so bad in cold weather. Ugh.
    Carlos Rodriguez-Botet Ben Wheeler, Texas October 18, 2014 at 03:42
    I live on a little over 100 acres out in the country. A couple years ago feral cats started to show up around the house. I'd always scare them off but since last year I decided to leave them be and even feed them now because the gopher mounds have disappeared and so have the snakes and mice around the house. I've seen them stalk a mound for hours until they finally get the gopher and I've also seen them catch snakes and mice so I'm happy with my new pest control system, and cat food is pretty cheap compared with the damage rodents can do to my trucks.
    Hugo F. Melo 126 Engle Street. Englewood NJ November 6, 2014 at 00:14
    This is a very good article, it sounds very interesting you must have done quite a bit of research on this. Thank you very much for the info.
    Frank James Arkansas December 12, 2014 at 10:38
    Get several outside cats and mice problems will not exist .