21 April 2014

Photo Gallery: Dunn Chevrolet Dealership

When we learned about the defunct Dunn Chevrolet and the automotive archaeology therein, we sent our resident lensman Gabe Augustine to rural Alabama to capture it all. We deem it a success; see for yourself

Ken Unger Chandler, AZ May 6, 2014 at 20:25
    What a neat find. Keith is very lucky. I wish I was closer so I could volunteer to help inventory and catalog. An old friend, Carlyle Knutson, (now deceased)traveled back and forth between MN and AZ in the 60's and 70's and always stopped at small town Chevrolet dealerships to buy old Chevy parts the dealers no longer wanted. He amassed a great inventory of NOS parts and many stories. I remember buying one 1958 Chevy molding for about $50 from an enclosed small trailer filled with hundreds and hundreds of moldings in their factory wrappers he recently got at just one dealership in Nebraska or Iowa. Carlyle said "Thanks, Ken. You just gave me my cost on all these pieces."
    Rich Gallagher Mastic, NY May 8, 2014 at 21:41
    It's an absolute treasure trove. It should be preserved, exactly as is, as a museum.
    Scott Florida May 8, 2014 at 09:48
    Nice. This place should become a museum!
    Don Cote Bristol, Ct. May 14, 2014 at 18:38
    Just amazing. When will an inventory be taken and release to the public?
    zgomer USA May 24, 2014 at 14:53
    I would love to see this cool place! I hope it becomes a museum...but I am sure the feds would say it is an environmental issue to keep it from happening...
    Andy Medford OR May 24, 2014 at 02:55
    Saw this place and owner on American Pickers.......
    Jay Iowa May 24, 2014 at 15:58
    It's curious that those cars and the obviously popular 283ci engine sat until 2007 in a working business. One would think an employee or someone would have realized the value and took them away. These photos were great. You could imagine it as a working delership with a southern flare.
    DeWayne Acworth,GA May 24, 2014 at 16:20
    This location was just shown in the "American Pickers" tv show last week! Some of the stuff was purchased by them, or so it was told.
    DeWayne Acworth,GA May 24, 2014 at 16:29
    Phillip V Hankland United States May 24, 2014 at 19:53
    Definetly the place should become a Museum.
    xfiler93 USA May 24, 2014 at 19:55
    This dealership was just featured on American Pickers.
    chico perez niland calif. May 24, 2014 at 22:02
    try to keep it in place , people with mechanical experiance would like to see this place of the old days of auto sales and auto parts i owned a 57 chevy 4 door White and gray color with 283 v engine and auto trans. believe me you have a fortune...
    Joe Kitchens Jr Robertsdale AL May 24, 2014 at 23:10
    I worked at Dunn Chevrolet for many years during my teen years of the late 1960s and early 1970s. My Dad was the parts manager for many years there during that same time. What wonderful memories I have of that place. I washed and waxed that 1957 convertible many times. What fun!
    Drue Ontario, Canada May 25, 2014 at 18:42
    The old 'army green' parts shelves are the same ones the dealership I worked at until 2013 used!!! Must have been GM issue!!! I'd love to help sort the parts, etc...it truly looks like a museum!!!!
    Drue Ontario, Canada May 25, 2014 at 18:57
    larry ostrander United States May 25, 2014 at 07:19
    wow
    Mike Ward Tn May 25, 2014 at 10:32
    I sincerely hope this can be preserved in some fashion as a slice of America that has disappeared...thanks for sharing this!
    Tom Jones Vinton, Va June 11, 2014 at 17:05
    american pickers already been there and picked
    Kenny B. United States June 11, 2014 at 21:33
    Amazing find! Topped only by small Chevy dealer in Nebraska loaded with low mileage 60 year old vehicles . The signage, brochures,parts manuals are priceless. Who ever owns it will decide what happens next. I would suggest a destination museum for car clubs and car buffs for a year? as they begin to catalog, clean up. Certainly sell duplicate parts to start an income flow. I would go there, just to soak up the atmosphere from the 50s , something ling long gone. Ad a few old cars on the lot and salesmen / actors to say " little lady" , pinch other women perhaps wearing fedoras? Eventually as, great and unique and the time capsule of Americana it is.It should eventually sell those parts, empty the bins, keep the few surviving cars left a chance to keep running.
    Tony Denver June 12, 2014 at 14:39
    Can any of you imagine how long it would take for each of us to explore this place? This is EVERY SINGLE car person's dream!
    Tom Hall Baldwinsville, New York 13027 June 13, 2014 at 11:13
    Great article. I wonder if this is the same Dunn family that had a Buick dealership in Syracuse, New York back in the '60's & '70's ? Real good stuff, preservation is a must for our hobby.
    joe molinaro Edison, New Jersey July 6, 2014 at 23:02
    i am almost 64 yrs. old now, and my first job while still in high school was at a local Chevy dealership in Montclair, New Jersey in the parts dept. I eventually worked my way up to be Parts Mgr. If i could i would go down there and help him get those parts cataloged and organized...i would just enjoy doing that....but at this time in my life i can't....but i wish them lots of luck...they have a lot to do to clean that up even by the end of this year....i do agree with the others it should be made into a museum there's not to many of these dealerships around like this it's a time capsule that's been opened up and it should be open to the public...also keep the guys from American Pickers...they aren't trying to preserve those things they bought they just want to resell them and make money....
    Richard Kane Raleigh,NC July 13, 2014 at 06:29
    I would love to wander through this place!!!