19 March 2014

In Memory of Frank Hagerty: Father, Founder, Friend

The world lost a great character on March 18, 2014. Frank Hagerty was born in Detroit on June 16, 1934, the only child of Frank and Evelyn Hagerty. He attended Cooley High School and graduated from Michigan State University. He began by studying agriculture with the idea of becoming a cherry farmer in northern Michigan, but ended up with a degree in business, followed by an insurance career in Traverse City.

As a child he loved to go to Hudson's with his mother and hide from her in the store, which forced her to put him on a leash. But even that didn’t contain him. On Sept. 10, 1955, he married Louise Kucera at Central Methodist Church … and it had a longer effect.

When Frank and Louise opened their own insurance agency in 1956, Frank literally knocked on every door in Traverse City, and his determination brought them success. That business grew and was eventually sold in 1981, but Frank and Louise weren't finished yet. In 1984, they dreamed up the idea of a specialty insurance program for classic wooden boats. The nationwide business they started out of the basement of their home became very successful and eventually spun off the now-predominant classic car program. Today, Hagerty is the largest insurer of classic boats and cars in the world. While not active in the business for 20 years, many of Frank’s original ideas are still in play today.

Frank’s life could be metered out through his passion for cars and boats. He loved to work on them and collected all sorts of car and boat memorabilia. His first classic car was a 1956 Ford Thunderbird, which he bought from a junkyard for $225. The car remains in the family today. Frank’s unknowable string of wooden boats remains a mystery, but it is central to his 50-plus summers in northern Michigan.

It was hard to tell whether he enjoyed cars or boats more, but he could fix anything and passed his love of cars and boats to many young people. The Hagerty family garage was the place to be for decades. Many cars were restored, many friendships cultivated, and life was full of automotive adventures. This continued until very recently when he rediscovered a 1948 Ford Sleeping Bear Dunesmobile and brought it home to northern Michigan. Dune Car #9 took First Place in the Beach Car class at the 2014 Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance event in Florida on March 9. Frank rode in the car to the award platform and was surrounded by his family as he soaked in the moment. His last ride in a collector car was to accept that award.

Frank was extremely industrious in work and play, and he often defended his pace by stating, “It’s hard to hit a moving target.” He had endless lists of projects and plans for things to build, fix or do. Whether it was practical jokes with his many dear friends or creating the ultimate Northern Michigan man-cave – filled with cars, boats, trains and countless hand-built models – Frank always had a vision for cool stuff, cool places and fun things to do.

His greatest gift was his ability to be present with people and to make them feel special in a conversation; he always made people feel like he was listening intently. This led to many strong friendships across the country — he seemed to have friends everywhere he went.

The Detroit boy’s long list of projects is now complete, his infectious laugh silenced, his endless stories are now memories. His only regrets at the end of his life were those few great cars that got away and that he didn’t have more time to spend with all of you.

Tom Cotter Davidson, N.C. March 19, 2014 at 14:30
    A wonderful tribute to well-lived life!
    Emily Pangborn Interlochen, MI March 19, 2014 at 15:49
    Frank Hagerty was truly one of the greatest people my husband and I have ever met. It mentioned above that he had a way to make you feel special during conversation, when in fact he genuinely cared who you were and what you had to say. He loved each and every member of his family unconditionally and was one of the most down to earth people we have ever been blessed to know. Our prayers and sympathy go out to all of the extended Hagerty family, Frank was an amazing man!
    Paul Russell Essex, Massachusetts March 19, 2014 at 16:10
    I never had the pleasure to meet the man, but get a great picture of a life well lived by the above remembrance and the great people he nurtured and left with us. My sincere condolences.
    Tom duPont saint petersburg , fl March 19, 2014 at 16:35
    Although I only knew Frank briefly , I enjoyed every moment of our visits . The entire collector car world is saddened by his passing but their hearts are filled with many wonderful memories . My prayers are for everyone in his family and the entire family of workers at HAGERTY . God Bless , t.
    Mike Kunz Irvine, CA March 19, 2014 at 16:46
    A beautiful life full of passion and a tremendous legacy left to future generations. So happy he could enjoy that moment at Amelia. Heartfelt condolences.
    Brian Shanahan Fairport, NY March 19, 2014 at 17:53
    What a fantastic glimpse of your Fathers wonderful life and thank you for sharing it with us. Thoughts and prayers to you and your family during this difficult time.
    John Crabtree Scottsdale, AZ March 19, 2014 at 21:01
    A life well lived, full of passions and people. He's leaving a great legacy to those of us who share his passion for cars.
    Brian Waters Paulding, Ohio March 19, 2014 at 12:57
    Your father sounds a lot like my own late father. He surely must have been a class act. Carry on with the knowledge that his principles will continue to teach and guide your organization.
    Evelyn Fasulo NY March 20, 2014 at 15:01
    May his legacy be eternal. Thanks for sharing
    Dave Ritchie Tempe, AZ March 20, 2014 at 15:06
    Our deepest condolences to all the Hagerty Family at this time of great loss. Dave Ritchie, Exec. VP, Cadillac & LaSalle Club.
    Ken Newark, Delaware March 20, 2014 at 15:09
    I am truly sorry for your family's loss. I should be so lucky to lead a life half as exciting as Mr. Hagerty.
    Bart Miller Antioch, CA March 20, 2014 at 15:13
    Thank you very much for sharing this wonderful tribute to Mr. Hagerty and his legacy. He was undoubtedly as passionate as we all are about our hobby, he founded an outstanding insurance company that currently protects what we enjoy, and he was obviously a great father and friend. My sincerest condelences to the Hagerty family.
    Mark B. Cohn Hollywood, Florida March 20, 2014 at 15:38
    Frank Hagerty, You lived well and died a happy man. Your obit (life in words) touches the soul of every collector or accumulator. Your "story" pleases me to be associated with the company you founded. "Well done good and faithful servant, enter into the joy (of endless collectibles). Rest in Peace
    John J. Meldon New Bedford, MA March 20, 2014 at 16:07
    My first meeting with Frank and the Hagerty Family and Team was at Auburn, Indiana in 1996 and I have watched with great amazement and satisfaction what Frank and family have achieved. I last saw the family at the Concours d'Elegence at Amelia Island in that Dunesmobile winning at prize. I want to wish the family my condolences,thoughts and prayers. John J. Meldon, President J.J. BEST & COMPANY
    john ambra ronkonkoma,n.y. March 20, 2014 at 16:07
    dear hagerty family- sorry to hear of a great loss in your family.R.I.P.-FRANK. our thought-prayers go out to your family..john a
    Greg Beckman Sr. Oregon March 20, 2014 at 16:11
    It is too bad I never got to meet this man, as a Mechanic myself, I know his passion. Maybe some time I will be given the honor in the other realm. Till then, I know he is finally pulling on Golden Wrenches.
    Joe P Orland Park, IL March 20, 2014 at 16:16
    What a wonderful tribute. God bless him and all your family
    Pat O'Neill Aurora, Ontario, Canada March 20, 2014 at 16:31
    My sincere condolences to the entire family during this time. I clearly see the passion he had in everything he did. His dreams and his values will live on through his children and grandchildren. Treasure those memories.
    sal scali manalapan n.j. March 20, 2014 at 16:37
    IM SURE HE WILL BE MISSED AND REMEMBERED THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS .
    Walter Zawacki Princeton, MA March 20, 2014 at 17:06
    My deepest condolences. Sleeping Bear is a special place which I will now forever associate with car guy Frank Hagerty.
    Randy G Canada March 20, 2014 at 17:10
    He inspired & was loved by all. My very sincere condolences to his Family & friends. He would be missed but always remembered. May his SOUL rest in peace.
    roger morrison Salina, Ks March 20, 2014 at 17:14
    At Amelia Island I just happened to walk buy as McKeel and Frank were in front of the Dunsemobile. I have two great photos which I will send to the family. I wish I would have stopped to tell Frank how proud I am of the entire Hagerty family and how much they have impacted the car hobby and the preservation of American culture. Frank was beaming with pride, the sun was shining: a beautiful moment which I will cherish. Condolences to all.
    Graham Zillwood Hope BC Canada March 20, 2014 at 17:18
    Condolences to the family and congrats to a life well lived and loved..Thank Goodness he passed the passion on to so many..Blessings
    Ric Csarak Johnstown, Pa. March 20, 2014 at 17:40
    Deepest Sympathy & May God Bless!
    Ann Larsen Port Elgin, ON CDN March 20, 2014 at 18:02
    What a wonderful tribute from a son to a father.
    Perry Niagara Falls, Canada March 20, 2014 at 18:05
    Thank you for making us feel like a valued part of your family. I felt like I knew you Dad. Now you all have an angel on your shouders. Proud to be a part of your organization.Thank you.
    Chris Stettin United States March 20, 2014 at 18:13
    Thank-You so much Frank for the service you have given us on our classic's. When we drive them we know we have the best coverage and nothing to worry about. When I drive my 1969 Firebird 400 Head lights on in Memory of Frank Hagerty
    Martin McGinley Donegal, Ireland March 20, 2014 at 06:32
    Happened on your article. My sympathies on the passing of what sounds like a very interesting and enterprising man. Any Irish connections?
    Richard Tynes Philadelphia,PA March 20, 2014 at 18:32
    Great Man, great father, great life. R.I.P.
    Dave Clemente Janesville, WI March 20, 2014 at 18:49
    So saddened to hear of the loss of a wonderful man and your father. Our prayers are with you and your family now for comfort and strength.
    John Meeks Stuart,Florida March 20, 2014 at 18:58
    Frank is a great man and has done a lot for the "Classic Car Collectors". My heart goes out to his family!. He was a great person who loved his work! May he rest in piece.
    Charles Patton Glen Lake, MI March 20, 2014 at 19:00
    I will miss seeing Frank in his wonderful old Chris Crafts, heading out on the calm waters of Glen Lake to get the best view of the sunset. The sound of the "old woodies" echos across the water like the soft growls of a mother bear as she comforts her young. May the calm waters of his "new adventures" bring comfort to those he has left behind. He will be joyfully remembered, and sadly missed.
    Greg Manikowski Greoos Ile Michigan March 20, 2014 at 19:00
    I am not getting any younger someday I hope to see Mr. Hagerty up there in my Fiero GT !!
    Tom Moore Perris,Ca March 20, 2014 at 19:14
    I was born about the same time and place but I am sorry our paths never crossed until now. I would have loved this guy as we have all the same interests. The world will miss him. God Bless
    Kevin Balicki Charlotte NC March 20, 2014 at 19:19
    After reading the tribute above, I can only think of the famous quote from Dr. Seuss, "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened". He sounds like a man and father that I strive to be every day. He built quite a legacy...The Balicki family gives their deepest condolences.
    Bruce G. North York, ON Canada March 20, 2014 at 19:28
    I have Hagerty Insurance - and after reading this, it makes me kind of proud that I do? Sounds like a super cool guy. RIP Mr. Hagerty and thank you for your passion.
    Steve Adams Westminster Colorado March 20, 2014 at 19:32
    My deepest condolence. To the Haggerty family.
    Jerry Clement Caledonia, MI March 20, 2014 at 19:45
    My condolences to all His Friends & Family. His legacy will live long. The insurance (really it's much more like a family) business he created is left in capable and caring hands. Peace be with you. God Bless.
    Brent Toronto March 20, 2014 at 19:58
    My condolences. Your father's legacy is assured with his eponymous firm, Hagerty Insurance.
    Brent Nichols Dammam, Saudi Arabia March 20, 2014 at 08:05
    Fond memories of his "insurance tales", boats and cars. The "olive drab" Range Rover that he insisted was a nice green. A sad trip to the cottage boathouse to survey the ice damage to one of his beautiful boats. Gracious, driven and respected. Thanks for the friendship and memories.
    Jack Walters Mentor Ohio March 20, 2014 at 20:25
    I am very sorry to hear of Frank's Passing. I am sure his "never give up" attitude came in handy while forming the Hagerty company -- but, aren't we all happy he did have that attitude! He will be missed by so many more people than he knew.
    thalia las vegas, nevada March 20, 2014 at 20:42
    So sorry for your loss and by the looks of it your Dad was highly respected and loved..and will be missed..
    Sheri Aldrich Las Vegas, NV March 20, 2014 at 20:45
    What an amazing story about a man with a dream that made it come true, and then some. I wish I could have met Mr. Hagerty to shake his hand. It would have been an honor to meet one of the "original car guys" of our nation. My husband Monty is from Traverse City and went to high school with McKeel. A few years ago, my husband strongly encouraged my older sister about the benefits of having Hagerty classic vehicle insurance over standard companies. She insured her '71 Chevelle right away (she's the original owner). She was so pleased with the service that I too insured my '77 Firebird as soon as I bought it (unfortunately, I'm -not- the original owner). Thank you, Mr. Hagerty, for making your dreams come true and taking many of us on your ride. May you rest in peace, Sir.
    Ron Mann Louisville, Ohio March 20, 2014 at 20:49
    A great article for a great respected man. Condolences to the family at this difficult time. s
    Rob Lewis Neenah, WI March 20, 2014 at 20:56
    What a great story about a great car guy. My deepest condolences to the Hagerty family.
    Steve Myers Montgomery, AL March 20, 2014 at 21:04
    Never met, but will continue to buy the insurance from the company in his name. Sounded like a great person. R.I.P.
    Tommy Entenza Jacksonville, Florida March 20, 2014 at 21:36
    I was fortunate to grow up when there were still tall sand dunes along Atlantic Beach, Florida. We had no idea that our "playing" on them was, over time, devastatingly destructive.....plus shore line development hastened their demise! I' going to try to send yawl my pic of your Dad's car taken at this year's "Amelia".
    Bill Reilich Greece, New York March 20, 2014 at 21:39
    What a wonderful man that gave so much to all of us. His vision for collector car insurance allows all of us enthusiasts to afford to enjoy the same passion for old cars that he had. A true gift to allow countless people to be able to share in the joy of fining that car from the past and now owning it. Thank you for bringing joy to so many people. We should all strive to have acomplished that in our lifetime.
    George J. Notaras Los Angeles, California March 20, 2014 at 22:19
    My thoughts are with the entire family . . . Frank started a tradition that has built a generational legacy in many classic car families far & wide.
    Rod Allentown, PA March 20, 2014 at 10:32
    My sincere condolences to the family. I'm sure Mr Hagerty will be missed by many.
    Bruce ramsey, nj March 20, 2014 at 22:44
    I was always negative about insurance companies who milked my monies with the potential of falling short on my claim if/When I needed them to restore me. Mr. Hagerty with his company made me feel like a friend, loved he and his compay's approach to this niche industry. Ya got it right, now rest in peace hope people were paying attention to you, miss you
    Tony Bruno Sicklerville NJ March 20, 2014 at 22:46
    What a great story about a great car guy there should be more people in this world like Mr. Hagerty. My deepest condolences to the Hagerty family.
    Sabrina Kinney Detroit MI. March 20, 2014 at 23:24
    Thanking Mr. Hagerty for his life mission to bring life & restoration to the cars & boats & life of ppl he came into contact with . My prayers are with the family & friends ...
    Richard Herrmann Tulsa March 20, 2014 at 23:25
    Frank was a friend of mine since1955. We always kept in touch by phone or visits. We shared an interest in Fords. He especially liked Thunderbirds and I have always had several Shelbys in our inventory. He raised a wonderful family and was one of the most creative people I have ever known. I will miss him very much. God Bless him!
    Brady Smith Flint, Michigan March 20, 2014 at 11:29
    A wonderful tribute to a great "car guy" who did much to benefit all of us in the old car hobby. May the wind be at your back, Mr. Hagerty!
    Roger Smith Toronto, Ont., Cda. and Port St. Lucie, Fl. March 20, 2014 at 23:36
    A life well lived. What a wonderful story about a wonderful person. The Hagerty company is a living legacy of the man's values, passion and faith in humanity. We should all be so lucky to be able to live our lives in our free society doing interesting things and enriching the lives of others as this man has clearly done.
    Ron Stevens Chiang Mia, Thailand March 20, 2014 at 23:54
    Warm wishes to the family Frank, A man able to live the dream
    tommy t phoenix arizona March 21, 2014 at 02:41
    from a hotrod guy way out here in Arizona , I never met Mr. Hagerty .... only heard good things about him. my prayer are with the family as they celebrate his life.
    Gary Hammond Lancaster, CA March 21, 2014 at 03:02
    With a heart still in Michigan but living in Southern California, I too have enjoyed many Michigan summers including time spent at Interlochen Music Camp and the Sand Dunes around the Traverse City area back in the 60's. I didn't know for quite some time that Hagerty was based in Traverse City. I'm honored to have my Plymouth Duster insured by an integrous company and founder!
    Lew Ferrell Wyandotte,Mich March 21, 2014 at 17:26
    Very sorry for your loss ,I lost my Father 14 years ago.He was also a true car guy. The 51 chevy I have insured through you ,He bought in 1987 and we put it back together and he sent it out and had the body and interior done in it .We showed and cruised the car together. I am sure our Dads will still cruise with us.
    carlos burgos mass March 21, 2014 at 06:14
    My payers and deepest thought to the Hagerty Family!
    Jack Weller Shelby, NC March 21, 2014 at 06:59
    Your Dad's story and your sharing of his life is another example of why I love older cars -- each one has a story. Having been to Traverse City over several summers and seen the beauty of the Sleeping Bear Dunes I could almost see your Dad getting out of one of his cars and walking into the office. In this time of grief, may God give you Peace and reassurance that your Dad is smiling down from Heaven. He has found the cars you thought he left unfinished.
    Denise Clumpner Fond du Lac, WI March 21, 2014 at 20:01
    I consider my Dad to be the dearest of my friends. He is my inspiration, as your father obviously was to you and your family. A toast to your wonderful father, and to all fathers who raise their sons AND daughters to love, build and cherish beautiful machines. Our passion for them holds us together forever! Please accept my sincere condolences, and continue his legacy.
    tim o'sullivan toronto, canada March 21, 2014 at 08:17
    so sorry to hear of frank's passing,and yet so pleased to see what a man and his love for classic car's can do for so many others, including my self and my father, god bless
    rob stone Philadlephia suburbs March 21, 2014 at 08:30
    My sincerest condolences to the Hagerty family- May Frank Hagerty's memory continue to inspire them to offer great products & service!
    steven langford Obrien, Fl. March 21, 2014 at 08:37
    Your family is truly blessed to have had such a wonderful father and friend in your lives. I miss my father too, been gone 17 years now and I can still hear his laugh. A real car guy he was as well and he would have enjoyed watching this video and listening to your story. He passed his love of life and cars on to me and he would have loved seeing the '70 'H' code Dart Swinger my wife and I enjoy so much. Insured of course, with Hagerty. Thanks so much for the story and God bless you and yours.
    Curt VanDuren Holland, Mi March 21, 2014 at 08:43
    A wonderful man who touched the lives of so many people I'm sure. My deepest condolences to the Hagerty family.
    Bob Kamarauskas Logan Twp, NJ March 21, 2014 at 21:00
    I'm sorry for your loss. I hope the pain of his passing is soon replaced with the happiness of memories from his life.
    DON HOLMES big spring, texas March 21, 2014 at 09:29
    I know what it is like to lose your best friend. God be with him and the family.
    Dennis Humbert Encino,CA March 21, 2014 at 21:45
    What a great inspiring story. Our love for classic cars runs deep and what this gentleman stood for is what we should help our children strive for.
    Frank Hughes Ann Arbor, Mi. March 21, 2014 at 09:57
    Thanks for sharing this video and article. Mr. Hagerty seems like the kind of person I wish I could have met.
    Michael Vitale United States March 21, 2014 at 10:27
    My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. What a wonderful tribute and story. Best Wishes!
    Larry and Jeannie Crosby Fountain Hill, AZ March 21, 2014 at 10:28
    Frank was our first insurance agent when we opened our business in Traverse City in 1972. We stayed with him until he sold the agency. We saw him occasionally around TC but reconnected when he insured my collector cars. They are still insured with you and we appreciate your fine service. The Hagerty family created and has a superior business today. What a sincere tribute to your dad. May he rest in peace.
    Scott McCay Scottsdale AZ March 21, 2014 at 11:06
    McKeel, A great tribute. I lost my father two years ago and the hole is still there. I never had the chance to enjoy the car hobby with him, but he was always there to cheer me on my passion. Deepest sympathy...SM
    Dave & Pat Aiken Westfield, MA March 21, 2014 at 11:43
    Sorry to hear of the loss of your dad. We saw him receive his award at Amelia Island. He will be greatly missed.
    Gary & Ingrid Scherb Old Time Boat Co. Mount Dora, Florida March 21, 2014 at 00:45
    Ingrid and I first met Frank and Louise at the Clayton N.Y. antique boat show in 1984, We were standing in front of the museum and I commented about the difficulty we were having getting owners boats insured while they were under restoration in our shop, Frank immediately said he could solve our problem even though it would require much work on his part, They then told us they were starting a new co to insure antique boats!!! Over the next 30 years they were always ready to lend a helping hand in solving any problem . Our thoughts are with you , we all will miss Frank
    Jeff Ross Santa Rosa,CA March 21, 2014 at 00:51
    We are sorry for your loss So very Thankful for Mr Hagerty's vision An insurance company for classic cars has been a blessing for my family. We have used Hagerty car insurance for over 10+years for all our classic cars RIP Mr Hagerty.
    JIm Austintown Ohio March 22, 2014 at 11:23
    What a beautiful story and a great way to honor a great man and father.
    Dennis Hultman Virginia March 22, 2014 at 12:24
    Nicely done. Hard to lose a father when hes been such a big part of your line.
    Edward Peabody Wakefield Mass. March 23, 2014 at 16:53
    What a beautiful story for a wonderful man. I never met him, but feel as though I did. Thank you for allowing me to tell you that. May he rest in piece.
    Walter Willett Tucson Arizona March 24, 2014 at 16:51
    McKeel, my sincere condolences. I was at the wedding of Louise and Frank. Louise was the room mate of my sister at Michigan State. Apparently Frank grew from a good boy into an amazing man. As a boy I'll bet he pulled the wheels off his toy cars like I did. A life well lived!
    Phil McLaurin Louisiana March 24, 2014 at 19:57
    My deepest and sincere condolences for the great loss in your family. My thought and prayers go out for every member of the Hagerty family. Thanks to him people can enjoy older vehicles.
    Eduardo R Sotomayor Minnesota March 24, 2014 at 08:01
    To the Hagerty family from the Sotomayor family- My deepest and sincere condolences for the great loss in your family. Our thought and prayers go out for every member of the Hagerty family. ERS
    Michael Amodt San Jose, Ca. March 25, 2014 at 17:24
    Our best to the family. A loss for them as well as the automobile hobby community.
    Wayne Carini Portland Ct. March 25, 2014 at 11:29
    Frank had the passion that's been passed down to McKeel. I'm so glad to have seen him at Amelia this year. My thoughts and sympathy to the entire Hagerty family.
    Gordon Apker Seattle March 25, 2014 at 11:31
    So sorry for your loss, McKeel. Your dad was there when I needed wooden boat insurance in the early 80's. Even featured one of my boats on a Hagerty brochure! He personally came to Seattle to "visit" my boats! Great guy!!
    Gordon Apker Seattle March 25, 2014 at 11:32
    Charles Liberatore Jr Pittsburgh Pa March 26, 2014 at 07:53
    Our deepest condolences to the Hagerty family from me and my ACBS allegheny family. Our thoughts and prayers go out to you.
    West Peterson Dayton March 28, 2014 at 12:10
    To McKeel and the whole Hagerty family. My sincerest condolences. I enjoyed listening to what was being said as Frank and McKeel drove the Dunesmobile through the awards ceremony at Amelia. As others have mentioned, Frank (and Louise) made you feel like one of the family upon introduction, and they passed that gift on to their children.
    Judy Raaymaker Strathroy, Ontario April 2, 2014 at 09:34
    This story of a wonderful man is a breath of fresh air and I would have loved have met him. I too share a love of cars and boats.
    Jesse Fernandez San Antonio, Texas April 2, 2014 at 09:49
    I did not have the pleasure of meeting your father. It seems he worked hard and played hard and enjoyed life. I am sorry for his passing. But he has left a great legacy for his family to cherish.
    Scotty F Dadeville Al April 2, 2014 at 10:02
    Awsome Tribute! You can look in his eyes and tell he live a very Happy and Fulfilled Life.
    Anthony Colandrea Toronto Canada April 2, 2014 at 11:39
    To the Hagerty Family, My deepest condolences of your loss. I too on March 22, 2014 have lost my father and my friend, also born in 1934. He also loved vintage vehicles.
    Kay Ciavarella Bismarck Nd April 2, 2014 at 12:56
    I am so sorry for your loss. It sounds like your Dad was a wonderful man.
    adam Washington State April 4, 2014 at 18:37
    So sorry for your loss, sounds like a great man.
    Steve Walker West Virginia April 14, 2014 at 21:17
    Sorry to hear of your loss but it sounds like he lived as much life as could be possible.He was a man we can all be proud of whether we knew him personally or not. God bless the Hagerty family.
    Val Howard Hogue Placerville, CA April 19, 2014 at 16:03
    I am so sorry to hear about your loss of a true car enthusiast! My father inspired my love of cars which is a little unusual for a woman. It is interesting that I grew up helping my dad with his 1956 Ford T-bird which is just like another member of our family. Besides Fords my day loved MGs and thus I purchased for my first car with his help a 1970 MGB which I still have. We lost my dad in 2009, but I have many found car related memories with him. My thought and prayer go out to your family.
    Chris Thurston Kansas City April 25, 2014 at 12:26
    Sorry to hear about the passing of a great fellow automobile enthusiast who helped others drive and enjoy their cars...Like so many, I never met or knew him personally, but feel a loss any time someone of prominence within our hobby passes on...Someone once said of James Dean that the smiling photo of him holding a race trophy was the photo that truly defined his happiness and what he was all about--I think it's obvious that the photo above behind the wheel of his boat with the Jack Nicholson smile says it all about Frank Hagerty! My prayers to and yours...!
    Diane Daly Bomaster Michigan May 17, 2014 at 00:40
    Frank and Louise were wonderful friends of my parents Tom & Bunny Daly. They were always kind, hospitable and welcomed us into their home and were so gracious by inviting us to enjoy their vacation "shack". Frank had a gift of always making one feel comfortable with his warmth and contagious laughter...a wonderful man whom the Daly children will always remember with fondness. With our deepest sympathy, The Daly Family