14 July 2014

Generation Gap: 1933 Ford Pickup vs. 1979 Dodge Lil' Red Express

Matt and Davin have very different ideas as to what makes a good pickup. For this episode, Matt chose a 1979 Dodge Lil' Red Express — big Mopar V-8, extreme styling and very limited production. Davin, on the other hand, went with a 1933 Ford pickup. Boasting a Flathead V-8, this vehicle was born out of necessity and eventually evolved into Ford's incredibly popular F-Series pickups.

Faris Saudi arabia July 15, 2014 at 17:50
    The ford truk is much better
    james robertson Canada July 15, 2014 at 18:36
    I think the dodge won cause it's nicer in my opinion, and plus unlike the ford it will continue to drive strong unlike the ford that will break down every other day like fords often do.
    Haider Canada July 15, 2014 at 20:42
    I'm goin with the dodge, more hp, torque, should be good for stuff that ford can do.
    Jamie Somerset, Ky July 15, 2014 at 09:20
    I'm going to say the ford actually did more work in it's day than the dodge ever seen....
    Landen Iowa July 15, 2014 at 10:19
    Moose or no car
    Ernesto Miami FL July 15, 2014 at 10:35
    Im with Jamie on this one.. Ford trucks for the win!
    Mark Baltimore MD July 15, 2014 at 22:49
    The Ford is my pick for this episode. Something about a flathead 33' with a bench and four on the floor appeals more to me then the dodge. Although the dodge is a lot more collectible.
    Matt Dallas July 16, 2014 at 01:27
    I love the show but I like to know more info on the car.
    Andrew Canada July 16, 2014 at 13:52
    Davin is right....the Dodge is too flashy and loud. Love the Ford.
    Dennis D'Andrea Wainscott, New York July 16, 2014 at 15:22
    I own a 1933 Ford, 100 percent Henry Ford steel, not a spec of lead, Bondo or fiberglass.
    Fattony Spencerport, NY July 16, 2014 at 03:45
    Those dodges were awesome where as to me most of the cars and trucks in the 20's and 30's looked the same, so dodge for the win
    Terry Winchester, Tennessee July 16, 2014 at 16:28
    The Fords worked hard but I have a 1979 Lil Red Express that pulled a matching painted goose neck horse trailer all over Texas through the 80's. Trucks were made to work.
    Dobie minnesota July 16, 2014 at 17:06
    I can not believe the Ford has a one barrel carb.
    Lauren Gilbert AZ July 16, 2014 at 17:13
    The Ford has character that you have to love!
    William Cain Laporte TX July 16, 2014 at 17:14
    33 ford pick up is just a truck. And ford does make a good truck I own one.The LITTLE RED EXPRESS on the other hand is an icon a ball of fire and flashy and everybody likes flashy with power steering power brakes and don't forget the A.C. The DODGE by far.
    A3 High Planes July 16, 2014 at 17:26
    6050 pounds curb weight? Nice fact checking guys. (That's GVW, not curb)
    Rond Saint Louis, mo July 16, 2014 at 18:25
    Not a ford guy but Ford wins on this one. Owned on like that as a teen ager. Wish I still had it!!
    Jim Dorsey Naples, Florida July 16, 2014 at 18:38
    The Dodge was the QUICKEST in its day but I don't believe it was the fastest. The Ford will win hands down in any parade for drawing attention.
    adrian Dixon Canada July 16, 2014 at 19:35
    I am a ford guy when it comes to the late 50's and up but i think hands down the dodge has this i looks better it has more power more torque, better utility and by far probley the funnest to drive but that only an opion
    Jim Michigan July 16, 2014 at 21:54
    Get your facts straight, the LRE was the fastest in 1978, The 79 had emissions, converters, unleaded gas. Neither weighed 6000lbs, The 78 was the last truck built at the Tecumse,Canada plant. The 79's were built at Warren truck.Who put the ram on the hood? 79's never had it. 78's were the last of the bird bath hoods. I have a 78, sold the 79 I had.Did like the clip.
    Anwar Kuwait July 16, 2014 at 11:27
    I hit the ford!
    CARL PHOENIX,AZ. July 16, 2014 at 23:27
    THE DODGE!
    Silly Willys MN July 16, 2014 at 23:42
    If you need a Work truck go with Ford. If you want Flash go with the Dodge. I myself like a truck that is a truck the Ford wins for me.
    TA Saudi Arabia July 16, 2014 at 00:19
    I love old cars but excuse me Davin you took it too far
    Kirwin North Carolina July 17, 2014 at 01:13
    I clicked the Dodge out of Mopar loyalty, but I'd rather own that 33 flathead Ford.
    Andy Michigan July 17, 2014 at 06:13
    Like comparing jets to horse and buggy, Lil Red wins!
    TimberWolf429 Midwestern USA July 17, 2014 at 19:26
    I gotta go with the Ford, I am an avid Ford lover, and have driven vehicles from all of the Big 3. And to all of you out there, who love to bash on Ford, here's one for ya, I own a 1995 Ford F150, which has never broken down on me, it was heavily neglected for several years before I got it, and ran like that for a few years, reliably, before I got the cash to start working the neglect out.
    TimberWolf429 Midwestern USA July 17, 2014 at 19:27
    Steve Traverse City, Mi. July 17, 2014 at 07:47
    The Ford has my vote. The engine was a major improvement for that era. I also love the styling.
    william cain Laporte TX July 17, 2014 at 08:28
    33 Ford is just a truck. Ford makes good trucks I own one but it's just a old truck. The LITTLE RED EXPRESS on the other hand is a icon a ball of fire flashy and everybody likes flashy with ps/pb and AC. The DODGE by far.
    Mike Turin, Italy July 17, 2014 at 12:22
    Just a fact, the plant was in Windsor Ontario, on Tecumseh Road. It was called Plant 1, and it's last production use was the Imperial quality centre for the 80-81 Imperial's theat were built at Windsor Assembly, then sent to the centre for final inspection, repair fit, and finish.
    Mohd M UAE July 18, 2014 at 02:20
    mopar or no car
    Chris Toronto July 18, 2014 at 07:25
    Both are exceptional icons in there day.My choice is the Dodge. 1978-1979 was a boring time for the auto industry because of emissions. Dodge changed things with the with the Little Red Express and its less flashy Warlock truck.
    Jacob the woods July 20, 2014 at 19:19
    the ford it would tougher i like fords more
    Michael R. Noblesville, IN. July 22, 2014 at 17:09
    Ford was nice, but I have a passion for Dodge trucks, I've owned an '86 and a'99, loved 'em both. LiL' Red Express wins this one!!!
    Bill w. wild willie Md July 28, 2014 at 14:09
    I bought 78 lil red new had it for 3 years put 86756.6 miles. Best time of my life. Could not even start to tell you the good times i had with lil red.
    A. Norton USA August 4, 2014 at 19:56
    Ford is very nice, but the rarity of the Dodge limited in 1978 to around 2,100 units and the "look @ me" exterior and the muscle to back it up, I believe in my opinion is the winner.
    Roger Bergeron Saco Maine September 3, 2014 at 20:18
    I,m for Ford Remember they are the only that did,nt grab your hard earned tax dollers for a bailout . The worst being Tessla they grabed all that stimulis money now they are moveing to Japan .
    gary washington state September 18, 2014 at 11:58
    The Ford as stock is great. Plus there is nothing like the sound of a flathead. I love to here my 36 starting up, just cool. The Dodge may haul more and pull more, but do you really think you will ever see one actually used that way? So how can that ever even be a "judging point"!